What's new

Dark Holler Design Works preview

proxy.php

View attachment 607352

This is going to be epic.... :thumbup1:

I suppose this is the proper place for this post, considering this thread likely has the greatest concentration of folks interested in Dark Holler Design Works and the Paladin brushes. I ended up scoring these two works at the Sue Moore auction last week.

View attachment 611441View attachment 611442

Shortly after the auction ended, I planned to reach out to Ken at Dark Holler to see if he had any advice on the knot to place in the Mo' Bettah Badger handle. Since I am on the Left Coast, Ken had a couple hours on me the morning after the auction closed and he generously contacted me with a congratulatory note. We exchanged a couple of messages before deciding that the old fashioned telephone would be more effective for the purpose of knot discussions.

The conversation that followed was probably one of the more interesting dialogues I have had in awhile. The enthusiasm Ken has for his work and the depth of his knowledge on all things related to turning handles and knot specifications was impressive as well as contagious. Immediately, it was obvious to me that Ken has a genuine passion for creating a quality handle and brush that excites the user and ideally allows for a better shaving experience. More on that later.

A few members in this community have reached out to me asking what knot will eventually reside in the Mo' Bettah handle. That is yet to be determined. Because I am relatively new to the DE shaving world, my experience with brushes is limited to a low-end AoS badger and a Whipped Dog 24mm synthetic (which I enjoy and works beautifully). The decision Ken helped me reach is to spend a little time getting acquainted with the knot in the Ebonite PK-47 so that I may better describe the aspects I like and don't like, the latter being doubtful in my mind.

This leads me to my very first shave with a quality badger brush this morning. I considered posting a couple of my own photos, however a photograph simply does not do justice to the beauty of the Ebonite. The M&F 2-band Finest felt incredibly luxurious. Frankly, I enjoyed the backbone offered up at first use (even after a basic break-in as suggested). Some moderation in stiffness would be acceptable, however I am delighted with it right out of the box. The lather whipped up from a puck of Em's Place "Skindicinal" had greater froth and loft than the generous lather created by the Whipped Dog in service for the past two months. If you ever find yourself with an opportunity to own an Ebonite handle with the Paladin name on it, I recommend pursuing it by all means deemed legal. It will not disappoint you.

Back to the conversation I had with Ken and a little more on the topic that really intrigued me: focus and the concentration required to perfect the process of a great shave. Perhaps this is a commonality most of us share here and Ken just happened to be the first person with our passion that I have encountered. His words brought me to the realization that my own every-other-morning routine has become a zen-like place where I can pursue greatness. Moreover, the idea that it can be a training ground to develop the skills to reach greater clarity the rest of the day is motivational; I wish I needed to shave daily.

As our call neared an end, I found a great appreciation for and felt a sense of brotherhood with a man who seeks the same perfection in his daily shaving ritual that I strive for, and who takes that dedication into his shop where he and his son produce a work of art that becomes a tool in our quest for a great shave.

Hopefully, those who read this lengthy post will enjoy it. I figured that with the great interest in the Paladin brushes, at least a few guys would appreciate my experience. Ken seems so humble, he may blush or downplay my praise. That's cool if he does, or if he doesn't. He's a good guy.

Bud Fox

Great post and insight. I have been in the market for a higher end brush for a long time ever since I received a promotion at work. A gift to myself you can say. I decided on a Paladin brush after reading threads like this on this site and others. I've been on a wait list so to speak for awhile now, and honestly, I have no problem waiting as long as it takes. I know the brush will be amazing when I do have the opportunity to get one.

You made some great acquisitions, and for a great cause too. Congratulations. Paladin brushes are about as good as you can get and IMO the ebonite versions just take the Britt and experience of using one even further. It's great that you bought the butterscotch handle but you'd be fine with that PK-47 as your only brush. I've been using mine since February and just shed a hair, bringing the total so far to three hairs lost. Just an all around amazing brush

I fall easily into acquisition disorders when I get involved in a hobby but I have yet to feel like I'm missing out on anything using this brush so, with the exception of a Fine synthetic (to see what the fuss was all about) I haven't even considered getting another brush. I hope my next one is a mini Falstaff (the Yorick?) in ebonite.

Ken is fun to talk to. One of the many things I've learned from him about shaving brushes is how little I knew about shaving brushes.

Again, congrats & enjoy.

Many thanks, Bud Fox. And congratulations! The Mo'Bettah is great!

I am one of the happy owners of an Ebonite Falstaff (funny, I used it today) and couldn't agree more with you... on this and on the fact that Ken is one of the good guys. A friend, actually.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Hey there Ken, sorry in advance for being 'that guy', but how is the website coming along?

It's still in the works. Sorry for the long wait. It's not good for us either. We're not going to put out any more ETAs until we have it nailed down.

I'm about half done writing an update that that will for sure go out this week. There's more in it than I'd be comfortable posting here, not that any of it will be confidential. Just not fitting for a bulletin board.

Thanks or all.

... I'm about half done writing an update that that will for sure go out this week. There's more in it than I'd be comfortable posting here, not that any of it will be confidential. Just not fitting for a bulletin board...
It's tough running one's own business, been there, done that. You're always the front guy taking the blame.

Keep at it Ken, you have a large crowd of friends and customers out here!

:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Congratulations on a great launch Ken, Cody and Co - the site looks great and it is only due to my own stupidity that I missed out - can't wait for the next chance...

Top Bottom