What's new

Dark Holler Design Works preview

Congrats Ken on moving to a vendor. Based on the information you've shared of the group buy you learned and was educated through the process so much the only missing piece was the lathe time on the handles yourself and now you have that chance!!
The samples above look incredible, I'm really drawn to the blue/black one but all the rod color mixes are all equally striking.. seriously a lot of character in each and the handle shape is so balanced looking. Love it, I can't wait to see this develop further and look forward to see your offerings! Good luck!

The M&F group buy was a good experience for the buyers too, Ken. You handled a complicated project with us prima donnas with competence and even good humor. I'd certainly welcome the chance to do business with you again.

+1 on the question of what knots you would use, though.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Wow...I love the idea of an Ebonite handle shaving brush. Ebonite feels great in the hand...much more "organic" than acrylic or other plastics.

Thanks to you and all for the kind and encouraging words.

My only question is how the Ebonite (hard rubber) will stand up to hot water and soaps.... It's "common knowledge" among the pen collecting community that prolonged exposure to water (particularly hot water) can cause damage and discoloration to Ebonite pens. Also, sunlight can cause color shifts. Maybe there's a reason that early shaving brushes didn't have Ebonite handles? Have you had any real-time experience with using this material in a shaving brush?

I have no real-time experience using this material in a shaving brush. I first acquired some black Ebonite rod from Japan a couple weeks ago. The colored rod, along with more black, arrived from Germany just this past Friday.

As to the possibility there's a reason that early shaving brushes didn't have Ebonite handles, I don't doubt it, but that doesn't suffice as reason for us not to try.

I know Ebonite (aka "vulcanite", aka "hardened rubber") can be reactive to prolonged (especially very hot) water exposure and UV light. But then I have pipes (and a couple of pens) with Ebonite stems that are older than I am and which I would not sell or trade.

Some materials (e.g., silver) require more care than others (e.g., stainless steel). And some things (e.g., cut jewels) are possessed of more enduring beauty than other exquisitely beautiful things (e.g., cherry blossoms) that come and go in a brief season. Then there are those things that acquire character and/or enhanced beauty over spans of time due precisely to the fact of their instability in some respect (e.g., vintage Butterscotch handles).

Ebonite may not work out as a material for making handles that we'll offer for sale. In any case we'll use it to make handles for ourselves. We're in love with the stuff. If we do make Ebonite handles that we decide to offer for sale, which I believe is highly likely, we'll post photos of each individual brush along with both full disclosure of inherent risks and recommended care instructions.

The M&F group buy was a good experience for the buyers too, Ken. You handled a complicated project with us prima donnas with competence and even good humor. I'd certainly welcome the chance to do business with you again.

+1 on the question of what knots you would use, though.

Thanks.

Lee Sabini has agreed to supply and set the knots. He may also assist in finishing some handles and engraving or applying labels. The brushes will bear a new brand and be marketed as the product of collaborative work carried out in both Kansas City and London.

Last edited:
That amazing to hear. You are going to have some outstanding brushes if you're teaming up with Lee.

Dibs on the black and blue handle! :lol:

You had me at hello . . . I'm looking forward to the finished product and hopefully the opportunity to purchase one. Good luck with your venture!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Awesome Ken! Looking forward to you getting things fully up and running. Those handles are awesome! Love the cumberland red/black ebonite!

D

Deleted member 48987

Lee's knots and Ken's execution, a match made in heaven. Really, I couldn't think of a better guy to do something like this. The best of luck to you Ken and I look forward to harassing you endlessly about your latest stuff. :thumbup:

Top Bottom