What's new

Dark FVF

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
IMG_6455.JPG

Does anyone else's bulk FVF look this dark? It's basically black. It also is very wet and sharp smelling, vinegary even. Haven't had a bowl in a long time so I forget what my 2oz tin batch smelled like. At this point is has around 4 years on it.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Looks right to me. In my experience FVF is pretty darn black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Well, I'm glad that Micah came in with the experienced response. I had a sample of some aged FVF, but it's been awhile since I finished it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Gonna dry it out really well and smoke a bowl. Never had the technique to get pass half a bowl before.

Agreed. That looks just about right to me as well.

Gonna dry it out really well and smoke a bowl. Never had the technique to get pass half a bowl before.

Drying out is key to enjoying FVF (most SG blends, actually). With FVF, I like to lightly rub it out into smallish shreds to dry, then load the larger pieces kinda loosely in the bottom of the bowl with the smaller pieces packed more densely on top.

Drying out is key to enjoying FVF (most SG blends, actually). With FVF, I like to lightly rub it out into smallish shreds to dry, then load the larger pieces kinda loosely in the bottom of the bowl with the smaller pieces packed more densely on top.

This :thumbup1:. I also prefer FVF in taller chamber pipes, such as a billiard or in my Radiator pipe. I tend to get more flavorful smokes from FVF with those pipes. Also a patient cadence has proved beneficial when the flake is dried out properly. Looks like you're gonna have a great smoke!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
This :thumbup1:. I also prefer FVF in taller chamber pipes, such as a billiard or in my Radiator pipe. I tend to get more flavorful smokes from FVF with those pipes. Also a patient cadence has proved beneficial when the flake is dried out properly. Looks like you're gonna have a great smoke!

In the past I used to pack the flake tightly, but my recent epiphany was the realization that the Flake expands quite a bit when lit.

In the past I used to pack the flake tightly, but my recent epiphany was the realization that the Flake expands quite a bit when lit.

That last part has bitten me quite a few times. I'm pretty cheap, so you wouldn't believe the antics I've went through to try to rectify that situation, just to avoid dumping it and starting over.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
That last part has bitten me quite a few times. I'm pretty cheap, so you wouldn't believe the antics I've went through to try to rectify that situation, just to avoid dumping it and starting over.

I am probably cheaper than you. I believe you :).

I've had that happen quite a few times too. I resorted to leaving it more loose than I think it should be.

Lately I've just been rubbing my flakes out. The bowls don't last as long. A bowl that lasts an hour or more is hard for me to finish. And on the plus side my tobacco is lasting longer too because I'm using less of it per bowl ( I'm cheap too :lol:)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Well my first bowl of FVF in several years is lit!

I think I over dried the flakes but I am smoking it anyways.

It isn't really strong flavored, possibly cause of a lack of moisture, and secondly maybe because of all the the Lat and Vaper blends I have been addicted to recently.

That being said the smoke is nice and cool, dry, and sweet. Sweet to the point that I am starting to freight train in to get more into my mouth :lol:.

Next bowl will be much less dry...

Getting FVF dialed in is certainly worth the effort. I don't know if its where it's sourced from or how it's processed (or a combo of both) but it's one of the finest VAs on the planet IMO.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Well my first bowl of FVF in several years is lit!

I think I over dried the flakes but I am smoking it anyways.

It isn't really strong flavored, possibly cause of a lack of moisture, and secondly maybe because of all the the Lat and Vaper blends I have been addicted to recently.

That being said the smoke is nice and cool, dry, and sweet. Sweet to the point that I am starting to freight train in to get more into my mouth :lol:.

Next bowl will be much less dry...

How long did you let it dry out?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
How long did you let it dry out?

Forgot about it overnight. Very crispy so I rubbed it out with a fresh Flake and let that sit a day in hopes the wet would rehydrate the dry. Reminded me of Dark Star- little bits of twigs :lol:.

Top Bottom