What's new

Danny's (New & Growing) Shaving Den

Some of these items I have had for a while, some are newly acquired: just like my fascination with wet shaving!

- The larger traditional brush is something I bought from Taylors of Old Bond Street when I lived in London in the early 1990s. It is the "Pure Badger" quality and a decent size, perhaps 24 knot.
- The middle brush is nothing special. I purchased this at Body Shop about ten years ago. It is quite "scrubby", so I use it with soap.
- The third brush is all about sentimental value. It is a Rubberset from sometime between the 1940s-1960s. It was given to me by my father-in-law (previous marriage) not too long before he passed away in 1991. He was a very fine fellow and I think of him when I use this brush. It is smaller and quite floppy. I usually take this on the road as my travel brush.
- The black bowl is a new acquisition from Target. It is a large rice bowl with a thumb notch that makes it very well-suited for holding while whipping lather. I wrote about this bowl elsewhere on B&B. http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5817
- The razor on the left is a brand new Merkur HD. It just arrived today and I haven't tried it yet.
- I picked-up the Witch Hazel just the other day. I haven't really figured out the best way to use it yet, but I am busy collecting more information on this product. http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5955
- The blue boxes and tub contain shaving cream from Charles Tyrwhitt. CT is primarily known as a Jermyn St. shirt-maker, but they did have a men's grooming product line for a while. It looks like they got out of this business because no more shaving products are shown on their web site. http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/. I picked these shaving creams up for $5.00 each as part of their liquidation sale. The product is quite nice. I have written about it in this thread. http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1281.
- The Merkur Vision 2000 in the center of the shot arrived yesterday allowing me to have my first DE shave this morning. http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5970 Just holding this huge razor is a joy: it is beautifully made and quite massive.
- The green box of Proraso shave cream in a tube and the green Proraso cream in the disk-shaped container were both purchased at Target here in Ithaca. It is great to be able to get this wonderful stuff here in town and avoid the anxiety of ordering - and waiting - for something to arrive in the mail. I have been very happy with the Proraso creams.
- I picked up both a Williams and Colgate shaving soap disk. These seem like such established old standards I felt it was required of me as a newbie wet shaver to give them a try. I plan to do so very soon.
- I have had the Palmolive and Crabtree&Evelyn tubes of cream for a while. Another pair of standards.
- I have collected a sampling of DE blades. With only one shave performed, I have only had the chance to use the Israeli blades included in the sample pack from letterk.
- Finally, I picked-up an alum block from Art of Shaving. Still experimenting with this too.

There it is, Danny's shaving den. I have several new additions on the way:

- I ordered the Green and Gold Omega brush highlighted in http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5441.
- I have a few Honeybee soaps on order.

Thanks for looking this over! Cheers,

Looks great Danny!
Now where are you going to put all that stuff?
The williams and colgate soaps will break your heart!They work great as a bath soap tho.

Hi. Thanks for the comments.

- I won't be heart-broken if the Williams and Colgate soaps end up as bath soap. As you know, they're very inexpensive. I think I'll try them each at least once just to be able to say I have! :smile:

- The Vision was being sold here on B&B by roughrider. It appears brand new and works wonderfully.

- The sink is pretty and not to bad to keep clean as long as you do it regularly. This bathroom was renovated by the folks from whom we bought the house: I am not sure that I would have selected this sink as my first choice, but it is pretty.

I just returned from Target where I picked up some Proraso pre-shave. This product seems to be well thought of on B&B. I think I'll try it in the shower in the morning as many have suggested works for them.

Cheers,

I learned a new acronym at B&B today: SBAD. For other newbies like me, that stands for "Shaving Brush Acquisition Disorder". :laugh:

Well, it looks like I have already come down with a case of SBAD. I decided to order a "custom" brush at Shavemac. This is really more of a "build your own" process on their web site. I wanted something a bit smaller than my Taylor's, so I decided on this brush in a 21 knot size (fake photo generated by Shavemac web site). Just for good measure, I also went with the engraving, a tube of Tabac shaving cream, and a stand. I'll be sure to post photos of the real thing when it arrives.

Cheers,

dszpiro said:
I learned a new acronym at B&B today: SBAD. For other newbies like me, that stands for "Shaving Brush Acquisition Disorder". :laugh:

Well, it looks like I have already come down with a case of SBAD. I decided to order a "custom" brush at Shavemac. This is really more of a "build your own" process on their web site. I wanted something a bit smaller than my Taylor's, so I decided on this brush in a 21 knot size (fake photo generated by Shavemac web site). Just for good measure, I also went with the engraving, a tube of Tabac shaving cream, and a stand. I'll be sure to post photos of the real thing when it arrives.

Cheers,

That's a sharp-looking brush! Enjoy!

The Shavemac appeared today. I am glad to report that I didn't have any problems with clearing customs as others have described about receiving brushes from Shavemac. I decided to get the stand and engraving for this brush. I am not sure if my SBAD will abate temporarily now...probably not. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Danny, nice looking brush. I like the stand, too. I have that one on my Christmas list! Nice to see a better picture of it on here. I couldn't get a good perspective from the Shavemac site. Good on ya!

I had my stuff in so many different corners, drawers, and shelves in the bathroom, I decided to get better organized :biggrin: . I picked up this wall unit at Target this afternoon. I left out shots of the assembly: boring and tedious.

The first couple of shots are "before, the balance "after".

Cheers,
Danny

Top Bottom