What's new

dankeeler128's GD mod project, Take 1

So, i took part in @valthun's GD PIF, and was fortunate enough to be chosen as one of the winners. As such, I thought I would create a little thread to track my progress, no matter how slow. I'll share my thoughts on the razor itself, my plans, lots of pics, and, eventually, the finished results.

Here we go: this morning, when I got home from work (I'm a night shift police sergeant), I saw the package, waiting on the entry table for me. As soon as I opened it up, I thought it looked, well, huge. I had read that the spine was thick. That really doesnt describe it. I think my son's pinky is smaller.... and he's 12! The scales are... cheap.... and plastic... and ugly. I thought I'd do a quick swipe on my forearm to see if it would take off any hair. No joke, my pocket knife is sharper.

So, where do I go from here. I think this weekend, in going to take off the scales, wrap the dull blade, and start scraping off some of that excess metal. Not sure on my final design plan, yet, but I've got some ideas.

Wish me luck.

So, i took part in @valthun's GD PIF, and was fortunate enough to be chosen as one of the winners. As such, I thought I would create a little thread to track my progress, no matter how slow. I'll share my thoughts on the razor itself, my plans, lots of pics, and, eventually, the finished results.

Here we go: this morning, when I got home from work (I'm a night shift police sergeant), I saw the package, waiting on the entry table for me. As soon as I opened it up, I thought it looked, well, huge. I had read that the spine was thick. That really doesnt describe it. I think my son's pinky is smaller.... and he's 12! The scales are... cheap.... and plastic... and ugly. I thought I'd do a quick swipe on my forearm to see if it would take off any hair. No joke, my pocket knife is sharper.

So, where do I go from here. I think this weekend, in going to take off the scales, wrap the dull blade, and start scraping off some of that excess metal. Not sure on my final design plan, yet, but I've got some ideas.

Wish me luck.

You really are too kind in your description. You might need a belt sander too.

Subscribed.

You really are too kind in your description. You might need a belt sander too.

Subscribed.

Nah, no power tools for me. I'm either a traditionalist or a glutton for punishment: in going to try to do this all with hand tools (except drilling the scales...).

So, this afternoon started my weekend, and, so, I started planning and prepping. I pulled the scales off (in the waste bin they went), taped the blade so I don't cut myself, and started sketching out some ideas. I'm thinking I'm going to put something of a Spanish point on it, and make the sweep of the tang a little sexier. Here's a quick sketch-up of what I'm thinking.
20190112_235035_001.jpg

You can see, I started putting some pencil marks on the metal, approximating what I am thinking of cutting off.

Of course, all this will be after some spine grinding and smoothing.

I don't think I'm going to get anything else done, except maybe some brainstorming, as the Commander has my weekend booked pretty solid.

man, what I wouldn't give for a step by step of something like this...what do you use? what tools? anything that you have to watch out for? (grinding too much and screwing with temper?) it's going to be an amazing razor once you're done :) beautiful

I'm making it up as I go. This is my first time doing this. There are a bunch of different articles online. Just search Gold Dollar Mod and you'll get plenty of info.

When modding gold dollars I always keep a finger on the back of the blade, and if it starts getting to hot I dunk it in iced water to cool it. Then carry on but the tools I use are a belt sander, dremel, one thing I will say if you need to know anything just ask. Also please wear latex gloves when using wet and dry paper while sanding, or you will suffer big time...… Just dont ask me how I know pmsl.....

And please please wear eye protection and gloves a full face shield are ideal....Safety is a must also if using a dremel be carefull of the travel, when using sanding drums or polishing as when it grabs it will throw it towards your face....

I certainly appreciate all the advice. I've had a couple near misses with angle grinders and dremels, so now I have a full face shield that I use in my shop. This time, though, I think I'm going to try use only hand tools.

Looks good, and I like the plans you have for it. After I get the garage cleared out and a little work area setup I might go for it again.

Top Bottom