What's new

Daniel's straight journal

I've had an itching to try shaving with a straight razor since switching to safety razors nearly three years ago, and thanks to a generous trade offer here, I've just acquired a J.A. Henckels half hollow 6/8 Friodur. It arrived yesterday, freshly honed, so of course I just HAD to give it a go last night before bed, which meant 36 hours growth. Here's my setup:

Prep: Hot Shower
Razor: J.A. Henckels 6/8 Friodur
Brush: Custom (by me) 24mm Envy Shave Supreme White badger
Soap: Sudsy Soapery Lavender and Peppermint

After showering and washing my face, I attempted to strop my new razor. I've watched quite a few videos and read quite a few tutorials on stropping, but I'm pretty sure I put a bit too much pressure on the edge. When I first began, it didn't sound like the edge was "zipping" at all, so I erroneously caused it to do so. The reason I'm convinced that is the case is because the razor just didn't feel sharp from the first attempted stroke. Pulling and tugging. Me being stubborn, I tried stropping again midshave to see if that might remedy the situation, this time with less pressure on the edge. While it did seem to help a bit, I still don't think it was nearly as smooth shaving as it should've been. The razor had been freshly honed prior to me receiving it, so I'm thinking my poor stropping technique is the primary cause, as well as my noob status on actually shaving with the razor. I finished up with my ATT H2 Atlas and called it a night.

I'm not sure why, but I didn't think this would be as hard as it is. I feel like I've become very proficient with even the most aggressive DE razors, but this is obviously a whole other animal. I will not be dismayed though!

Does my stropping fiasco mean I'll need to have my recently honed razor honed again? I surely hope it didn't destroy the edge. I had planned on getting a lapping film setup in the near future anyways, just for touching up the edge (3 micron and 1 micron with some 0.5 paste for my nylon strop,) but didn't think I'd need that so soon. Do I? Until next time...

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to this part of the forums!

As for your question - it would have been best if you did not strop before receiving it, as you might have inadvertently rolled the edge a bit stropping. That way you would have known the quality of the edge straightaway and then would know if the stropping degraded the edge.

You can try stropping it some more on your fabric component without paste and then the leather - going slow and not letting the spine off of either the fabric or the leather and see if that improves it. Also - make sure that you are using a shallow angle - so that the spine is close to the skin on your face - you do not want a large angle between the razor and your skin.

Go to the hardware store or a glass store and try to get some granite or marble tiles that are smooth (3 tiles best 1 whole [12"x 12", i cut in two and one cut in three) - or glass shelving like you would see in a bathroom shelf 3-4" by 12". Have the tile cut (they will make a couple of cuts at Lowes - at least near me) in 3-4" sections. See if they have green polishing sticks - Harbor Freight and Lowes have them in stick form. Then go to the craft store and get a piece of 3/8" x 3' balsa. Slash McCoy goes over this in one of his posts very well. You use spray adhesive to affix a piece of balsa board 3" x 12" to the tile and then lap it flat. You can smash up the crayon a bit and mix it with acetone or alcohol and make a paste out of it and carefully put a very very very light layer on the balsa - making it even. You then can strop (spine leading strokes) on the CrOx pasted balsa strop and try and recover the edge.

Whipped Dog offers up the Chromium Oxide and Iron Oxide pastes - but you can get them on eBay or other razor/shaving shops. The CrOx is like 50k grit and the FeOx is 200k grit. You can make up other balsa strops with diamond paste too.

The large tile 12x12 can be used for wet dry paper for lapping the balsa flat.

The tile cut in two can be used with the lapping film - it is flat and I find that having them on top of each other is a better height for the knuckles when doing X strokes on the lapping film.

If all else fails - send me the razor and I will hone it for you. I cannot promise that it will be like it comes from the honemeisters, but I have been shaving off my edges for 9+ months and think I can get them pretty sharp. Just PM me if you want that and I will send you my address.

It will get easier - especially if the razor is sharp. It is tough when starting as you just do not know if sharp is shave ready. You will get there though and before long will be cruising along.

Regards,

Pete

Wow, thanks for the info Pete!

I was afraid that might be the case regarding me stropping. I'll attempt to strop on the fabric then leather again tomorrow and see if I can tell a difference. If not I can just use a DE.

I THINK the angle that I attempted to use was pretty close to what it should be, but I'll be sure to pay very close attention next time.

I'll try to make it over to Lowe's this weekend to pick up some granite or marble tiles. I actually already had some 3m lapping film in my Amazon cart, so that will be on its way soon also. It looks like one of the sides of the linen strop has already been treated with some green compound (0.5 micron?,) so I may just get some more and continue to use that. If that fails to remedy my edge, I'll pm you for your address. I really appreciate the generous offer. Hopefully I'll get the hang of this eventually.

Hey Daniel - excellent, sounds like a plan.

If you have green material on the strop already - it sounds like it may already have some Chromium Oxide paste on it. It may be good as is - as you really do not need a lot on there. Spine leading and slow enough to not lift the spine and be able to flip it over and go the other way. Speed will come with time. The Superior Shave (TSS) has a Youtube video on proper stropping technique.

https://youtu.be/rgsEKpA4SUI?list=PLfZ-PqLn7WCAzwkvINFpf13VBl_MWRMUM

Get a couple of pieces of 3u and 1u lapping film and then get a sheet of the 15u, 9u too

If you have green material on the strop already - it sounds like it may already have some Chromium Oxide paste on it. It may be good as is - as you really do not need a lot on there. Spine leading and slow enough to not lift the spine and be able to flip it over and go the other way. Speed will come with time. The Superior Shave (TSS) has a Youtube video on proper stropping technique.

Get a couple of pieces of 3u and 1u lapping film and then get a sheet of the 15u, 9u too

I'm excited to hear that I already have some Crox on the strop! I thought that might be what that was. Also, thanks for the further instruction regarding strop technique. The video helped me better understand what I need to be doing.

I had went ahead and ordered some lapping film from a vendor on Amazon before I saw your last post, but only bought 3u, 1u, and 0.5u. I contacted the seller, and they graciously added a sheet of 9u and 15u. What grits would those be comparable to? I'm guessing closer to 1&4k?

Daniel, to add to what Pete has shared, remember that SR shaving is a process and requires time to fully master. Depending on how much stropping you did on the JAH you may be able to strop it back to the keenness that was there to begin with. And I can't stress this enough:

I sent you material on SR shaving and there is a short gif showing how to strop that is very clear to understand. Have a fun weekend!

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm glad to hear that I might be able to bring the edge back without a full rehone. I'll try to properly strop later this evening. Slowly and carefully. Have a great weekend!

I am precisely that! Did some stropping on the Crox, then linen, then leather last night (hopefully properly,) and I'm going to attempt to shave again shortly. Hopefully I'll fare better this time.
Stropping is difficult in the beginning. But i assure it gets better

Short update. Went by Lowe's and had them cut a 12"x12" marble tile into 4 long slabs (3"x12") for lapping film. Only cost me $5. The lapping film is out for delivery today, so when I get home I'll have a 9"x13" sheet of 15u, 9u, 3u, 1u, and 0.3u waiting on me. After using what I thought was the pasted side of my linen strop, I'm not so sure that it had much left on it, as it didn't seem to make a large difference between the first and second shaves. For that reason I went ahead and ordered some Crox paste from Maggard Razors. I'm sure I might have gotten it cheaper elsewhere, but I wanted to try a puck of Haslinger Schafmilch too. I'm also awaiting a 30/60x loupe to arrive from another Amazon purchase.

I plan to shave tonight before bed, but not until I attempt to remedy my razor's edge. Would it be a good idea to try to just use the 3u, 1u, and possibly 0.3u lapping film, strop and shave? Or will I have to drop down to the coarser grit films? I know that this question is difficult/nearly impossible to answer without being able to see and assess the razor. I will say that my 2nd shave attempt didn't feel quite as awkward as the first, but I still wasn't able to get an even adequately close shave. I know that will come with time and experience.

Short update. Went by Lowe's and had them cut a 12"x12" marble tile into 4 long slabs (3"x12") for lapping film. Only cost me $5. The lapping film is out for delivery today, so when I get home I'll have a 9"x13" sheet of 15u, 9u, 3u, 1u, and 0.3u waiting on me. After using what I thought was the pasted side of my linen strop, I'm not so sure that it had much left on it, as it didn't seem to make a large difference between the first and second shaves. For that reason I went ahead and ordered some Crox paste from Maggard Razors. I'm sure I might have gotten it cheaper elsewhere, but I wanted to try a puck of Haslinger Schafmilch too. I'm also awaiting a 30/60x loupe to arrive from another Amazon purchase.

I plan to shave tonight before bed, but not until I attempt to remedy my razor's edge. Would it be a good idea to try to just use the 3u, 1u, and possibly 0.3u lapping film, strop and shave? Or will I have to drop down to the coarser grit films? I know that this question is difficult/nearly impossible to answer without being able to see and assess the razor. I will say that my 2nd shave attempt didn't feel quite as awkward as the first, but I still wasn't able to get an even adequately close shave. I know that will come with time and experience.
Just go with the 3u and 1u and then strop on linen then leather and give it a go on the hanging hair test or 'tree-topping' arm hair. If no good put a piece of copy paper down on the tile, give it a light misting of water and put a piece of 0.3u film over it and give it some passes - then strop and test the edge. You then may want to try shaving your cheeks and see how it does.

Good luck!

Welcome to the wonderful world of straight razor shaving Daniel. It sounds like you are in good hands with Pete, and you are off to a great start. Becoming proficient with a straight razor (even one sharpened by a honemeister) takes a significant number of shaves unfortunately. But over time, your shaving technique will improve to the point where you will be equal to or exceeding shaves that you get with the DE. It is good that you are also getting into the honing aspect. For me this is half the fun trying to max out an edge for optimal results for my face.

Of course nobody can have just one straight razor, but we can discuss this on a different day. You seem to have your hands full. You might want to get on [MENTION=110007]doc47[/MENTION] 's razor passaround box list. That is a great way to try a variety of razor sizes and grinds to get a feel for what you prefer.

Just go with the 3u and 1u and then strop on linen then leather and give it a go on the hanging hair test or 'tree-topping' arm hair. If no good put a piece of copy paper down on the tile, give it a light misting of water and put a piece of 0.3u film over it and give it some passes - then strop and test the edge. You then may want to try shaving your cheeks and see how it does.

Good luck!

Fantastic info. I'll give those steps a try and see how it goes. How many laps per film should I be doing? I know I've read it in another thread, but it's escaping me now.

Fantastic info. I'll give those steps a try and see how it goes. How many laps per film should I be doing? I know I've read it in another thread, but it's escaping me now.
There is no set number , but I would use very light pressure and do 40-50 on each. Light pressure though edge leading. I lap is a pass on each side.

I do an 'X' stroke primarily with the heel leading slightly, but that is just me. People will use the loupe to see the change in the scratch pattern at the edge - looking to erase the evidence of the previous coarser hone marks from more aggressive lapping film.

Welcome to the wonderful world of straight razor shaving Daniel. It sounds like you are in good hands with Pete, and you are off to a great start. Becoming proficient with a straight razor (even one sharpened by a honemeister) takes a significant number of shaves unfortunately. But over time, your shaving technique will improve to the point where you will be equal to or exceeding shaves that you get with the DE. It is good that you are also getting into the honing aspect. For me this is half the fun trying to max out an edge for optimal results for my face.

Of course nobody can have just one straight razor, but we can discuss this on a different day. You seem to have your hands full. You might want to get on [MENTION=110007]doc47[/MENTION] 's razor passaround box list. That is a great way to try a variety of razor sizes and grinds to get a feel for what you prefer.

Thanks for the warm welcome! It would be nice if there weren't such a steep learning curve with straight shaving, but I imagine that's part of what will make it so satisfying in the end. I feel like I've become extremely proficient with my DE razors, so this was the next logical step for me... Always seeking a new challenge/obsession haha!

The passaround box sounds like an wonderful and generous idea, and I imagine that it would be very helpful to a new straight shaver like myself. I'll see if I can find the thread regarding it. Thanks again!

Welcome to straights!
Thanks!

There is no set number , but I would use very light pressure and do 40-50 on each. Light pressure though edge leading. I lap is a pass on each side.

I do an 'X' stroke primarily with the heel leading slightly, but that is just me. People will use the loupe to see the change in the scratch pattern at the edge - looking to erase the evidence of the previous coarser hone marks from more aggressive lapping film.

Got it [emoji106] [emoji106] I'm really anxious to try this method and hope it works as well for me as you and many other guys on here. There's no way I could justify spending the requisite amount of money on stones to my wife OR myself at this point in time. Having two in diapers means less money to go towards more fun shaving goodies haha. I wouldn't have it any other way though.

One more thing before I go... CAN I put some tape on the spine even if the previous owner didn't when he honed it? I am concerned with wearing down the spine after seeing photos of excessive wear on here. If that's going to not jive with the bevel then I'll just be gentle on the spine and not worry about it.

Thanks!

Got it [emoji106] [emoji106] I'm really anxious to try this method and hope it works as well for me as you and many other guys on here. There's no way I could justify spending the requisite amount of money on stones to my wife OR myself at this point in time. Having two in diapers means less money to go towards more fun shaving goodies haha. I wouldn't have it any other way though.

One more thing before I go... CAN I put some tape on the spine even if the previous owner didn't when he honed it? I am concerned with wearing down the spine after seeing photos of excessive wear on here. If that's going to not jive with the bevel then I'll just be gentle on the spine and not worry about it.
You will not be removing much metal at all with the 3u/1u and smaller so I would not add tape now. If there is no honewear - then you might consider it as it might have been taped previously, but if there is evidence of honewear then do not tape for this attempt at touching up.

Good luck!

Daniel, it will do no harm to use a layer of tape, even if the person who honed it did not use tape. It is a problem to not use tape with a touchup on a razor that was honed using tape though. Most honemeisters use tape unless you request them not to because they do not want to add wear to the spine. When you get further into it, we can have a discussion on the use of tape, and the pros and cons.

Just signed up! Thanks!

Daniel, it will do no harm to use a layer of tape, even if the person who honed it did not use tape. It is a problem to not use tape with a touchup on a razor that was honed using tape though. Most honemeisters use tape unless you request them not to because they do not want to add wear to the spine. When you get further into it, we can have a discussion on the use of tape, and the pros and cons.

That's great to hear. My anal side doesn't like the idea of altering a part of the razor that was not intended to be altered lol.

Top Bottom