What's new

Daniel Mink Watch Quality?

Hi guys,

I was looking for a classic, simple, understated dress watch and I just bought this Daniel Mink watch for $100:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231805173135?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I am under no illusion that it is of Rolex or other high end quality. I am just curious if it is decent.

Internet searches don't tell me much about Daniel Mink watches.

Can anyone here provide some input or thoughts? If I am an idiot for buying this, please let me know. No need to hold back, I can take it.

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise.

Last edited:
Can't say I've ever heard of the brand. Nice looking watch, but probably about three times what I would have paid for a two hander quartz with (I assume) mineral glass. If it works for you though, that's what matters.

thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Can't say I've ever heard of the brand. Nice looking watch, but probably about three times what I would have paid for a two hander quartz with (I assume) mineral glass. If it works for you though, that's what matters.

Daniel Mink began around 1979 (Incorporation Records in FL reflect 1979) up until around the late 90s when Daniel Mink Sr. passed away, somewhere around 99/2000 era the Company switched hands and the Son (Daniel Mink Jr.) went on to co-found Renato (they won't tell you anything about Mink) out of NY...
The Newer line DM watches only held a couple old styles (1900 series) and then did a slew of dive and chrono series style/type watches... Many of these 2k era watches were often well over $1000 retail new but some ended up in Ross and other outlet stores for $500 or less...

I first came into a Daniel Mink watch around 1997, it was an All Gold 18K HGF Columbia Edition... This watch was beautiful and a very well made time piece... These watches are a rather Niche market brand these days... Not as highly sought after due to the fact that they were made in limited quantities State side it seems and the company never really took off big like other brands of the era...

For the most part they are wonderful watches (to me at least) and the pre-1999 original Mink Co. watches are the best in my opinion... Identifying the exact year is tricky; I have figured out some of the eras by style and Logo branding...

Some models and most early models have the name on the face and No logo on the front; you will have to use the logo design on the back to get a general idea of era on these or by model #...
Sometime around the early mid-80s the Logo was added and it looks like a funky "M" where as the later 80s and 90s models have a more stylish overlapping "D"s forming the DM logo...
Model #'s for the original Company may be Sequential but not positive, the "classic 1900" series is the long time flagship so any # lower than 1900 model could be one of the older original models...
The last detail I have figured out is that the last # in the 4 digit model # represents if it is a Male or Female model some are unisex models however and I am not exact on how those are designated but Male = 0 and Female = 1; for instance Bolero model is 1770 for the male version and 1771 for the female version, also the bands for males are double fold out style while the females are open bracelet style clasping, unisex ones often have a leather band, DM did make and stamp their leather bands as well too...

This information is NOT official and is pure speculation because I can not confirm the accuracy with the maker or old maker; this is just information I was able to figure out trying to research my original watch for over 15 years now...

Last edited:
This is fantastic information, SlickClick. I really appreciate your input. This is exactly what I was seeking. Thanks, thanks, thanks.

Top Bottom