What's new

Dangers of shower shaving

I usually shave in the shower. I was lathered up ready to shave with my EJ double edge loaded with a Feather blade. I approach the mirror suctioned to the shower wall. Just then the suction cup let go! I instinctively tried to catch it. There I was juggling a mirror and a razor. Neither hit the ground surprisingly. After a short field trip to the ER for stitches all is well. I knew those feather blades are sharp but dang. I didn’t even know I was cut till I saw the blood. Got my left index finger good. Wife’s not happy but I get out of doing dishes for a few days. Could have been worse I suppose?

Stay safe out there fellas

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Whoa sounds scary indeed and yes could have been way worse like @fast shaver mentioned
Or you could have slipped and fell too
Glad you are ok and got patched up

I've been a shower shaver most of my life. The trick is to have an extendable mirror in the shower with a couple of small chrome or stainless shower shelves.

Mind that sounds like I'm teaching you to suck eggs, sorry. Glad your OK.

I have a sick on for holidays.

I usually shave in the shower. I was lathered up ready to shave with my EJ double edge loaded with a Feather blade. I approach the mirror suctioned to the shower wall. Just then the suction cup let go! I instinctively tried to catch it. There I was juggling a mirror and a razor. Neither hit the ground surprisingly. After a short field trip to the ER for stitches all is well. I knew those feather blades are sharp but dang. I didn’t even know I was cut till I saw the blood. Got my left index finger good. Wife’s not happy but I get out of doing dishes for a few days. Could have been worse I suppose?

Stay safe out there fellas

Glad you survived. I love Buster Keeton, BTW. The General is a family favorite.

My wife was rolling Her eyes when she asked how bad it was. Especially since I just had five stitches removed from my left thumb a couple weeks ago. The thumb was a wood working accident at a summer camp I chaperone. The thumb was much worse than the finger that only got two stitches.

I worked in electronics/transmitter tech for 27 years, and managed to eliminate the reflex response to catch falling objects. Just follow it with your eyes and recover the item later when the equipment has been powered off and made safe.
I've been retired since 2012, and still don't even try to catch stuff. It's saved me from a few dropped razors, blades, and knives.

proxy.php

I worked in electronics/transmitter tech for 27 years, and managed to eliminate the reflex response to catch falling objects. Just follow it with your eyes and recover the item later when the equipment has been powered off and made safe.
I've been retired since 2012, and still don't even try to catch stuff. It's saved me from a few dropped razors, blades, and knives.

proxy.php
I imagine that's a good practice in a few areas. A vendor at Blade Show told me a kid tried to catch a sharp sword from falling over and it sliced both his arms open.

I asked my wife to remove the stitches tonight. She got queasy and said no. So I sterilized and told my 13 year old to wash his hands. He’s in 4-H so he’s almost a veterinarian, right? Anyway, I don’t need to make an appointment now. He did just fine. Snip snip tug slowly and done.

....still don't even try to catch stuff. It's saved me from a few dropped razors, blades, and knives.
I have an almost reflexive habit to stick out my foot to break the fall of an object before it hits the floor. It has saved a few plates and saucers in the kitchen. But I managed to pull back recently when a chefs knife fell. I can't remember what caused the knife to fall but I came away very impressed at the mind's ability to process information quickly. In that split second I had reflexively started to move my foot to break the fall, only to realize it was a big knife and pull back. I did not consciously realize any of that in real time, only after the knife had hit the floor.

Top Bottom