What's new

Dangerous Man

I'm still lol at the imagery... an older man of a certain girth with thin suspenders and Dr. Martens...plus the paranoia. Many adjectives come to mind, but "dangerous" is definitely not one of them. :lol:

edit: why is this thread in here? It has nothing to do with shaving, it should be moved to the Barber Shop

Very well played my friend. A gentleman's forum is no place for politics or religion. They are just too volatile.

+1!

It's not what I come here for. There are undoubtedly members here with whom I could have bitter political discussions and pissing matches. I prefer not to go down that route and would rather get to know them as individuals through our shared shaving passion. Then, if I ever do meet them in person, any political differences would hopefully be mitigated and tempered by the respect we've built up through civil shave talk.

Just my two cents.

I also disagree with you about the death of chivalry. Do you really believe that? When I was a young, hard charging Marine, I never thought that I was doing anything different than the people who came before me. In fact, I had to live up to their example. But when I trained new Marines, I never thought that they would be less than me--in fact, I expected that they would exceed my efforts. Now, when I see young men and women in uniform saying goodbye to their families at the airport, I know that chivalry is alive. When I took my mom to the emergency room, the kindness and courtesy of the young doctors and interns were nothing if not chivalrous. When I see young people at a Springsteen concert collecting food and money to help out struggling farmers and workers who have been just laid off, isn't that chivalry? When my students tell me that they're going to work as volunteers in impoverished African countries or teach in poor US neighborhoods, isn't that chivalry too? I'm always meeting kids who are doing so much that they inspire me to do more.

I don't know you, 1OldGI, but I'm pretty sure that you're a good guy like the good guys I've spent my life working with. If I could sit down with you for a beer or a cup of Joe, I'd tell you that the things that you're angry about have always been out there. I'd also tell you that all the things that you are mourning are still out there too. Just because we're old war horses now doesn't mean that the young one's can't run.

I agree with most of what you say throughout your post and pointed out the above section for partial exception only.

Being an amateur/hobbyist in generational studies I can say that it has been widely chronicalled that the younger generations in America, after Gen X, are woefully lacking in a drive for excellence. This generation, primarily the children of the Baby Boomers, has been taught from birth that to show up is to succeed. It follows, as well, that they lack the capacity to withstand and adapt to criticism.

I concede that generational studies are as macro as you can get and that there are, truly, many good horses running the race, but they aren't as easy to come by as they once were.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Being an amateur/hobbyist in generational studies I can say that it has been widely chronicalled that the younger generations in America, after primarily the children of the Baby Boomers, has been taught from birth that to show up is to succeed. It follows, as well, that they lack the capacity to withstand and adapt to criticism.

Being one of the younger generation (21), I completely disagree. We are pushed from middle school to succeed, to make perfect grades, decisions, choices. One tiny mark on any sort of record will kill your chance at a future, so don't mess up! You get to High School, where you don't make friends, you make future business connections and competitors for honors. Go to the Ivy League, get your masters, succeed WIN WIN WIN. We start off our post-University lives in debt because many are not ready for college, but were pushed into attending with no scholarship. We start out our lives stressed out and strung out- only to appease others that think they know what is best for our lives.

No longer are we free to decide what we would like to do in our free time- we no longer have it. Sure, there are those who are truly apathetic about many things, but for the most part, we simply are burdened with too many things to care about.

As to the general complaint about the younger generation ruining the world. Guess what? It was already screwed up when we got here. We didn't do it. Who did?

Please move this to the Barbershop, mods. Thanks.

Being one of the younger generation (21), I completely disagree. We are pushed from middle school to succeed, to make perfect grades, decisions, choices. One tiny mark on any sort of record will kill your chance at a future, so don't mess up! You get to High School, where you don't make friends, you make future business connections and competitors for honors. Go to the Ivy League, get your masters, succeed WIN WIN WIN. We start off our post-University lives in debt because many are not ready for college, but were pushed into attending with no scholarship. We start out our lives stressed out and strung out- only to appease others that think they know what is best for our lives.

No longer are we free to decide what we would like to do in our free time- we no longer have it. Sure, there are those who are truly apathetic about many things, but for the most part, we simply are burdened with too many things to care about.

As to the general complaint about the younger generation ruining the world. Guess what? It was already screwed up when we got here. We didn't do it. Who did?

Please move this to the Barbershop, mods. Thanks.

Craig...I suspected that I would get a reaction from someone such as yourself. I suggest only that you read the studies. I know you are pushed to succeed, Im more than 2x your age and I was as well...I push my kids too. The studies are very in depth and too much to present here, much less so even in such a way as to convince you (even to convince you to read for yourself). The observations come from middle to upper management in employment as well as from academia. The studies surmise that the attitude is developed early on and continues through early adulthood. Two of the easiest to observe examples are: 1. Little League, where everyone wins, no score is kept, if you (or your parents) complain enough you get what you want, and jeering has been disposed of; 2. Grade Curves.

Craig...I suspected that I would get a reaction from someone such as yourself. I suggest only that you read the studies. I know you are pushed to succeed, Im more than 2x your age and I was as well...I push my kids too. The studies are very in depth and too much to present here, much less so even in such a way as to convince you (even to convince you to read for yourself). The observations come from middle to upper management in employment as well as from academia. The studies surmise that the attitude is developed early on and continues through early adulthood. Two of the easiest to observe examples are: 1. Little League, where everyone wins, no score is kept, if you (or your parents) complain enough you get what you want, and jeering has been disposed of; 2. Grade Curves.

"Someone such as yourself" Could you explain that please?

While I'm not arguing for or against anything in particular from the thread, because I agree with some of it, the point I was trying to make is-

Wouldn't you be frustrated if someone blamed you for a situation that someone else started? I agree about the Little League (unless it is a very young league- but anyone over about 6 needs to learn about winning or losing) and grade curving is strange to me (especially Bell Curves, still cannot comprehend why they are a good idea). But my point is, who started these things? It was the parents of the players, and the professors/administration that dictate how many students need to get an A (which is the usual reason I've been given for curving). It wasn't the children or the younger generation. I just want everyone to give credit where credit is due. Even if it isn't good credit.

"Someone such as yourself" Could you explain that please?

While I'm not arguing for or against anything in particular from the thread, because I agree with some of it, the point I was trying to make is-

Wouldn't you be frustrated if someone blamed you for a situation that someone else started? I agree about the Little League (unless it is a very young league- but anyone over about 6 needs to learn about winning or losing) and grade curving is strange to me (especially Bell Curves, still cannot comprehend why they are a good idea). But my point is, who started these things? It was the parents of the players, and the professors/administration that dictate how many students need to get an A (which is the usual reason I've been given for curving). It wasn't the children or the younger generation. I just want everyone to give credit where credit is due. Even if it isn't good credit.

Someone your age, thats all.

As far as blame goes, everyone deserves some. However, if I was your boss and was pissed off at you for being a slacker on the job, would you have me send home a note to your mom to tell them what a poor job she did raising you? Maybe call up your Little League administrator to ***** him/her out for handing out "participation awards" through 7th grade?

Wouldn't doing so propegate the situation further?

This is a generational issue and it did not exist until the Boomers started having their own kids. Parenting is an experiment and if we are lucky us parents wont screw our kids up too bad in the process. The problem is, from my perspective, that the pendulum swung too far, too fast. You went from the stereo-typical hard nosed parenting of "The Greatest Generation," of which my father was a member, to the softer style of the Boomers, themselves, and later. There should probably be a middle ground that the styles meet at, and I, honestly, try to raise my kids in that manner.

Someone your age, thats all.

As far as blame goes, everyone deserves some. However, if I was your boss and was pissed off at you for being a slacker on the job, would you have me send home a note to your mom to tell them what a poor job she did raising you? Maybe call up your Little League administrator to ***** him/her out for handing out "participation awards" through 7th grade?

Wouldn't doing so propegate the situation further?

This is a generational issue and it did not exist until the Boomers started having their own kids. Parenting is an experiment and if we are lucky us parents wont screw our kids up too bad in the process. The problem is, from my perspective, that the pendulum swung too far, too fast. You went from the stereo-typical hard nosed parenting of "The Greatest Generation," of which my father was a member, to the softer style of the Boomers, themselves, and later. There should probably be a middle ground that the styles meet at, and I, honestly, try to raise my kids in that manner.

I just wanted to make sure that my point got across, that it is a little bit of everyone's fault. And if I screw up, I expect and should be reprimanded. On the other side of the coin, I just don't want it happening to me if I didn't do it.

I think we're pretty much on the same page now, Mr. Dirt (Mr. Bro?) Sorry if I came across poorly, it is finals week and MY professors don't give curves :lol:

.... One tiny mark on any sort of record will kill your chance at a future, so don't mess up! ....

This is going on your permanent record!!!

:biggrin:
Don't despair, we had those back when I was in school as well (to put that in perspective you are younger than either of my own children). I always thought it was a funny thought. Just where do all of those permanent records go? :smile:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Moving thhis thread to the barber shop, where it will be easier to be monitored by the more itchy fingered moderators.

This is going on your permanent record!!!

:biggrin:
Don't despair, we had those back when I was in school as well (to put that in perspective you are younger than either of my own children). I always thought it was a funny thought. Just where do all of those permanent records go? :smile:

I'm pretty sure that those records have all gone straight to this watchlist I just read so much about.

Actually, they probably just fax everyone's records over to their next school. Then burn/shred them eventually. Any teachers or school board members on the board?

...Actually, they probably just fax everyone's records over to their next school. Then burn/shred them eventually. Any teachers or school board members on the board?
I want you to sit down, and take a couple of breaths so as not to hyperventilate....

There were not facsimile machines when I went to school. :eek::lol:

No burning or shredding back then either. Just the ol' dumpster.

Are you still with me? Not on the floor or anything? :biggrin:

I'm pretty sure that those records have all gone straight to this watchlist I just read so much about.

Actually, they probably just fax everyone's records over to their next school. Then burn/shred them eventually. Any teachers or school board members on the board?

I did some custodial work once. It was a temp job at the board of education for my county- departmental records building. I don't know how all other counties or states do it, but after doing some serious digging during my lunch breaks, I found the elementary school records of my father and his brothers (ca. 1961-1969). My county has a Wal-Mart sized building that does nothing but house old school records, though I'm sure it's an anomaly now in today's world.

What was funny is that I found in my fathers file a mean note he wrote about his second grade teacher that had been confiscated. It was pretty colorful for 1963. :biggrin: So I suppose things like that DID end up in your permanent record way back when.

Your elementary records will transfer to middle school and high school, but it is mostly medical records, yearly grades, achievement test results, that sort of thing, as well as IEPs/504s. After high school, they are shredded. High school records do not go on to college. Faxing? Hardly. Hardcopies are always sent.

Very little in the way of disciplinary actions/notes are kept in a student's permanent record, unless it involves a suspension. So no nasty notes from your fourth grade teacher. Schools stopped keeping that sort of info in student records after more than a few schools were sued.

Last edited:
I'm still lol at the imagery... an older man of a certain girth with thin suspenders and Dr. Martens...plus the paranoia. Many adjectives come to mind, but "dangerous" is definitely not one of them. :lol:

How about this guy? Because I pictured something like this:
proxy.php

Granted, older and heavier...and perhaps he doesn't wear the same color of laces. For the record, it is a royal pain to lace boots like that, and get them to stay tight...Been there, done that...

Top Bottom