What's new

Dandruff fighter?

Forgive me for putting my "business" out there, but I am at witts-end. I have a Marine "high and tight" haircut (can't ever see myself going with anything else) but the one horrifc problem is a dry scalp that produces a fine dandruff throughout the day. I have tried several dandruff shampoos, but to me they seem to make it worse. I use a hail gel that keeps my hair looking wet so it does not show. I am getting tired of it!

Is there any miracle products or tricks you might have to help me?

Thanks!

Sarge

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Sarge:
Have you tried Selsun's medicated dandruff shampoo (works for me)? :biggrin1:

If all else fails...seek professional help from your dermatologist to get a prescription.

Christopher
proxy.php

PS I was in the Army for 24yrs Whoa!!!

Last edited:
Look for a shampoo with Pine Tar in it - there are a few on the market. If you can find some Jojoba Oil in your area, usually at a health food store, pick some up and rub that into your scalp once or twice a week as well.

Are you sure you have a dry scalp? Maybe your dandruff is caused by seborrhea. Anyhow, if you are really sure that's it is caused by dry scalp, you should try a shampoo containing moisturizing ingredients like jojoba oil and shea butter.

Here are my suggestions:

Everyday Shea, Moisturizing Shampoo, Lavender

or Shampoo Bars from Chagrin Valley:

Coconut Milk
Extra Honey Beer
Olive Babassu

With any of these products, your scalp will become moisturized and healthy.

M

monte1

Nizoral is excellent for dandruff contains ketoconazole fights the fungus on the scalp. So is Head & Shoulder the shampoo for seborrheic dermatitis.

Hope that helps :thumbup1:

switch from a shampoo to a shampoo bar. the artificial and overly strong detergents in regular shampoo dry out and irritate the scalp.

+one million!

I had the same problem for years and years and years and years. I tried Selsun Blue, Head and Shoulders, Tar shampoos, even prescription-strength Nizoral.

All any of them did was keep the problem in check temporarily.

Switched to the shampoo bar from www.mysticwatersoaps.com and now the problem has virtually disappeared. It might not work for everybody, but it sure worked for me.

I've had quite good success with two different methods:

1) true Tea Tree oil shampoos (such as Nature's Gate - found in organic/health section of grocery stores like Wegman's, Whole Foods, etc)

2) rinsing with a bit of apple cider vinegar and letting it soak in for a few minutes before washing with a regular shampoo (don't know if it's true but supposedly the acidity is supposed to balance the alkalinity/chemical imbalance that causes dry scalp/dandruff. Whatever the case, it helps quite a bit - not to mention it really softens/strengthens hair. Just be sure to soap well with regular shampoo after rinsing out the cider vinegar to make sure no vinegar scent remains. BTW - white vinegar does NOT work, only cider vinegar.).

i have the same kind of problem....

i use neutragena T-Gel (with pine tar) for itching & flakes

alternating with a regular shampoo boosted with tea tree oil, a natural fungicide

Look for a shampoo with Pine Tar in it - there are a few on the market. If you can find some Jojoba Oil in your area, usually at a health food store, pick some up and rub that into your scalp once or twice a week as well.

I'm using JASON natural jojoba oil conditioner after shampoo. I do not have dandruff but I do get itchy scalp, especially in the colder months. I've just started to use it and I like it a lot. I got a 16 oz. bottle at Whole Foods for $9 :thumbup:

I've heard cade oil is really good for dry scalps/ dandruff.

I've been using a sulfur and salicylic acid bar soap for a scalp issue for a couple of weeks, and I've noticed that it's also cleared up any dandruff problems. You might want to consider it. Your dandruff may not be simply dry skin, it may be a skin infection, which the sulfur and salicylic acid bar would address.

Top Bottom