What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Thanks mate.

Had a try at getting it out of it's box.
I think it's in there for life.
So, I'll lap it flat and see what happens.
Careful if you try to get it out - you don't want to damage the stone. Might be best to leave it in there.

Silicon Carbide Wet n Dry on one of those cheap Axminster lapping plates are best because you can go up the grit range with the wet and dry sheets. I have 400, 600, 1000 sometimes 2000 but doubt it's necessary to go that high.

Does the stone smell of oil? If so it's an oil stone unless you clean it as far as I've been told. I soak mine in bike degreaser for a couple of days, but I haven't a clue how to do that if it's still in the box. It doesn't look like an oil stone from the pictures but hard to tell.

If you decide keep it as an oil stone I generally use Bisley Gun oil (available on Amazon) with a squirt of WD40 to thin it. BUT my father just gave me some clock oil which is even better - I will try to find out what that is.

Careful if you try to get it out - you don't want to damage the stone. Might be best to leave it in there.

Silicon Carbide Wet n Dry on one of those cheap Axminster lapping plates are best because you can go up the grit range with the wet and dry sheets. I have 400, 600, 1000 sometimes 2000 but doubt it's necessary to go that high.

Does the stone smell of oil? If so it's an oil stone unless you clean it as far as I've been told. I soak mine in bike degreaser for a couple of days, but I haven't a clue how to do that if it's still in the box. It doesn't look like an oil stone from the pictures but hard to tell.

If you decide keep it as an oil stone I generally use Bisley Gun oil (available on Amazon) with a squirt of WD40 to thin it. BUT my father just gave me some clock oil which is even better - I will try to find out what that is.

I'm just gonna leave it in it's box.

There is a faint whiff of oil, but it could be from it's wooden box which is pretty worn.
I'll lap it up and see, and smell, what it's like.
Once its lapped I'll put some clear water on it and rub it with my fingers and see if there's an oil scum forming.
That should indicate if it's an oilstone, or not.

On my Ark I prefer to use water with a little fairy liquid.
I have tried Laskey's honing oil and 3in1, prefer the soapy water - better feedback.
The Ark is so dense oil doesn't soak in so, just use soap and water to clean it off.

Clock oil or sewing machine oil sounds interesting.
I was talking to my old dad and he mentioned diluting oil with parafin, sounds way too messy and smelly to me.
Dad was a master carpenter and looked after all his own tools.
He mentioned that he has a Washita that he never used and it was vintage when he got it. Along with some other unknown oilstones.
He's going to look them out and I'll take a look next time I visit.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php

I hope you're having a great Christmas. My very best wishes to you and yours today and into the New Year.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Merry Christmas to you and yours too Jim!

The smoked ham in my oven is making me drool hahaha.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My shaving equipment Christmas present was just what I wanted.

SR.Case.Closed.Christmas.640JPG.JPG

You might not recognize it in the first photo, but you will in the second...

SR.Case.640.Christmas.Open.JPG

I asked my wife how she knew what I wanted. She said I sent her the link for this Cordura Anti-Rust 7-Razor Roll so she figured it might have been a hint.

I already had the razors. This should be of great use to me. It's obviously very well thought out and made. It's better looking than I thought it would be but it is utilitarian and nothing more. Exactly what I wanted. Fancy that.

Merry Christmas and happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Merry Christmas to you and yours too Jim!

The smoked ham in my oven is making me drool hahaha.

Merry Christmas, Mike. Ham sounds great for the holiday dinner.

We will have our traditional Christmas dinner of lasagne. I'm not sure how we came up with that one, but we all agree that it's perfect for us.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Christmas shave was pretty good.

Christmas.Kit.2018.640.Peacock.Manchurian.Oud.JPG

Again I used as a preshave the Cremo Shaving Cream, but I'm not entirely sure it adds much.

Cremo + Bay Rum (favorites). 480:Small..JPG

Pretty decent shave. I have some remaining SR shaving goals, but am not focusing on them today.

Merry Christmas and happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Merry Christmas to you too Doug, and everyone else!

I still think we need an '@All' button haha.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was good enough.

12-26-18.GoldenPeacock.Arlington.AoS.640.JPG

Again I used Cremo Shaving Cream as a preshave. The shave was decent enough. I enjoyed the scent of Arlington. Its performance was decent enough, too.

This Art of Shaving brush is definite floppy but I still like using it occasionally. It is not too scritchy and it lathers well for a small floppy brush.
upload_2018-12-26_12-24-48.jpeg

Not bragging on today's shave or on my SR shaving skills in general, but I'm getting better with the straight. I still have no idea how to approach some areas of my face and neck; some angles just seem impossible. I'll watch more shave videos sometime soon for hints, suggestions, possibilities, and inspiration.

My skin feels very good. I love this scent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was pretty good.

12-27-18.Peacock.Kit.640.JPG

An okay shave much like several recent shaves.

upload_2018-12-27_15-27-13.jpeg

Over forty more shaves in my countdown to the hundred shaves it is supposed to take to learn how to straight razor shave.

My project over the next few days is to watch a few good shave videos looking for pointers. Mostly pointers on angles of attack and such. The area I'm beginning to focus on is my weird neck. Shaving with the safety razor I have finally figured out the various angles of attack (with the safety razor) which are much more difficult (and so far impossible) with the straight razor. I need to up my game with the straight razor in terms of how to approach my neck whiskers.

My skin feels good.

One of the best things to come out of my SR journey so far is the comfort of the SR.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My box of pastes has arrived.

paste-jpg.936631

The box is tiny and the two sticks are half of tiny, but I expected this having read reviews.

I plan to apply a bit of the red to one strop and a bit of the black (blue wrapper) to another strop.

strops-640-10-2-18-jpg.936629

I'm thinking I'll put the black on the black strop (bottom) and the red on the small board strop (second from top). The off side of the black strop doesn't quite suit me.

I've not applied anything to anything yet so I could change my mind.

The linen strop already has CrOx on one side; I want the other side to remain just clean linen.

The Professional Strop (top) isn't getting any paste ever. Just its two leather sides with their two draws and two feels.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My box of pastes has arrived.

paste-jpg.936631

The box is tiny and the two sticks are half of tiny, but I expected this having read reviews.

I plan to apply a bit of the red to one strop and a bit of the black (blue wrapper) to another strop.

strops-640-10-2-18-jpg.936629

I'm thinking I'll put the black on the black strop (bottom) and the red on the small board strop (second from top). The off side of the black strop doesn't quite suit me.

I've not applied anything to anything yet so I could change my mind.

The linen strop already has CrOx on one side; I want the other side to remain just clean linen.

The Professional Strop (top) isn't getting any paste ever. Just its two leather sides with their two draws and two feels.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Careful when you unwrap them. The foil rips easily and then you end up getting you, the box, everything messy. Well at least I do!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Careful when you unwrap them. The foil rips easily and then you end up getting you, the box, everything messy. Well at least I do!

I think I'm going to keep the crayons in separate baggies or something like that, and enclose them both in another baggie along with the little box so I can remember what the crayons are. Or, something like that.

Thanks for the advice, and for enabling me to make the decision to try this product. I suspect it's great stuff.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This is going to be interesting.

Not given a great deal of thought to pastes.
Use CrOx on one of my linen strops and diamond pasted balsa.
Thats about it.

Ziploc bags would be perfect for those.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm finding and watching (usually rewatching) SR shaving videos.

Looking to learn more and improve my shaving I am.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom