What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It could be Jim, but I think it's more a lack of base plate support.

The design and neutral angle of that razor is interesting, but if you drop the angle a bit it'll bite. Theres gobs of room for blade flex in that razor and I think you found some.

Try your NEW SC again.

Good idea.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My strops.

Strops.640.10-2-18.JPG

Top to bottom.

From Classic Edge.
  1. Their Professional Strop. Two sides. Corium leather (shown) and English Bridle leather. This was purchased because they run out and I'll use it down the road. When I'm ready I'll have it and not have to wait for more to come in stock. It has a lot of give like a hanging strop because of the way it is made (see the slots). The other side's leather looks to me like the leather in item #2 (below), but I don't claim a good eye for the leather of strops. Expensive.
  2. An English Bridle leather board strop. For now. I used it for the first time last night. Nice feel to it. Not too small either for a beginner like me, or for travel. Glad I bought it. Not expensive.
From Tony Miller
  • Yes, it's linen.
From WSP
  • A beginner's strop or a travel strop (take your pick). The only one they sell I believe.
Am I set up for a while? I think so. Is there a SAD? Yes, but I have not acquired it and hope not to.

proxy.php

If anyone tells me, today, there are other strops I should buy anytime soon I have it on good authority their computer will suddenly acquire a brush acquisition disorder and on total autopilot press buy it now for every Zenith brush sold on eBay (not that that's a bad thing necessarily). You are warned!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
There are some seriously nice people in the SR forum! Helpful, generous, knowledgeable, etc. Much like what we've gotten used to here in our BOSC safety razor world.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
#2. That is shave number two with a true SR. Since the 1960s.

Wednesday's shave was an adventure. I always try to keep in my mind my #1 goal, a Damn Comfortable Shave.

This was a shave which led to a lot of questions. I will ask my questions on the SR forums, but this is my shave report.

WSP.GD800.Kit.10-3-18.640JPG.JPG

I began with this Gold Dollar #800. It was purchased shave-ready at WSP. I had issues with it (maybe imaginary issues but still...). These are discussed here, link. There is great information on that thread thanks to the replies to my inquiry.

I noticed right away that the razor seemed to be pulling (like a worn out DE blade). So, I switched razors.

My next razor was the Gold Dollar #66. It was purchased shave-ready at Classic Edge. I used it once the other day for part of a shave. It has not touched any of my strops.

With the GD66 I noticed the same pulling feeling, and it was for sure not present the other day.

Next, I increased the distance between the spine and my skin to what I'd say was a bit more than the thickness of two spines. I'd say it was three spines. Anyway, when I did that I noticed the singing sound of a cutting razor (or a scrapping razor, but I think cutting). I'm a feedback guy; I shave with safety razors going by audible and tactile feedback as much as the razor will allow.

With the singing sound there seemed to be no pulling feeling.

10-3-18.GD66.GD800.E-2.640JPG.JPG

I retuned to the GD800 and used it successfully at the three spine angle, getting some singing. I think maybe the GD66 is a bit sharper, but both shave.

After several passes (of sorts) with the SRs I finished with a N-S pass with my E-2.

It was very apparent to me that my SR passes were not particularly effective. I know a SR is a beard reduction razor. I know my tough old whiskers aren't ever going to be smoothly cut or anywhere close to that with one pass. I'm fine with the learning curve.

I was totally unable to do anything with the SR in a couple of areas. These are my most challenging and toughest whiskers and are not easily dealt with with any razor.
  • The area on my lower lip and upper chin. Especially the lower lip. Some people call this the soul patch. It's very hard to deal with.
  • My upper lip. Mustache area. Not as bad generally but these are my next toughest whiskers.

On my upper and lower lip I was just about unable to get the razor to move. Both razors just grabbed. I was not even thinking of forcing the issue.

My neck is very hard to shave, too, but that's a directional issue. What's a map when it comes to my neck? It's the shifting sands of the Sahara. I have a general idea of how to approach my neck and accept BBS ain't happening there. My cheeks are usually (with a safety razor) pretty easy. Anyway...

Learning to shave with a SR 100 shave (meme).jpg

I did not release any blood from its proper container. I had no significant discomfort from the SRs. This was a very frustrating shave causing me to relax and release my expectations, over and over. If I don't cut myself I've won. If I can make progress slowly I'm winning big.

Today that number looks like 200 300.

I'll ask my questions elsewhere.

Happy shaves,

Jim

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
#2. That is shave number two with a true SR. Since the 1960s.

Wednesday's shave was an adventure. I always try to keep in my mind my #1 goal, a Damn Comfortable Shave.

This was a shave which led to a lot of questions. I will ask my questions on the SR forums, but this is my shave report.

View attachment 917087

I began with this Gold Dollar #800. It was purchased shave-ready at WSP. I had issues with it (maybe imaginary issues but still...). These are discussed here, link. There is great information on that thread thanks to the replies to my inquiry.

I noticed right away that the razor seemed to be pulling (like a worn out DE blade). So, I switched razors.

My next razor was the Gold Dollar #66. It was purchased shave-ready at Classic Edge. I used it once the other day for part of a shave. It has not touched any of my strops.

With the GD66 I noticed the same pulling feeling, and it was for sure not present the other day.

Next, I increased the distance between the spine and my skin to what I'd say was a bit more than the thickness of two spines. I'd say it was three spines. Anyway, when I did that I noticed the singing sound of a cutting razor (or a scrapping razor, but I think cutting). I'm a feedback guy; I shave with safety razors going by audible and tactile feedback as much as the razor will allow.

With the singing sound there seemed to be no pulling feeling.

View attachment 917089

I retuned to the GD800 and used it successfully at the three spine angle, getting some singing. I think maybe the GD66 is a bit sharper, but both shave.

After several passes (of sorts) with the SRs I finished with a N-S pass with my E-2.

It was very apparent to me that my SR passes were not particularly effective. I know a SR is a beard reduction razor. I know my tough old whiskers aren't ever going to be smoothly cut or anywhere close to that with one pass. I'm fine with the learning curve.

I was totally unable to do anything with the SR in a couple of areas. These are my most challenging and toughest whiskers and are not easily dealt with with any razor.
  • The area on my lower lip and upper chin. Especially the lower lip. Some people call this the soul patch. It's very hard to deal with.
  • My upper lip. Mustache area. Not as bad generally but these are my next toughest whiskers.

On my upper and lower lip I was just about unable to get the razor to move. Both razors just grabbed. I was not even thinking of forcing the issue.

My neck is very hard to shave, too, but that's a directional issue. What's a map when it comes to my neck? It's the shifting sands of the Sahara. I have a general idea of how to approach my neck and accept BBS ain't happening there. My cheeks are usually (with a safety razor) pretty easy. Anyway...

View attachment 917097

I did not release any blood from its proper container. I had no significant discomfort from the SRs. This was a very frustrating shave causing me to relax and release my expectations, over and over. If I don't cut myself I've won. If I can make progress slowly I'm winning big.

Today that number looks like 200 300.

I'll ask my questions elsewhere.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Methinks your razor isn’t sharp enough. Gold Dollars have a more obtuse edge
angle than optimal because of the thick spine and do require a wider angle from your face but three spine widths seems a bit excessive. I doubt stropping is going to be the cure. It needs a proper honing IMO. You need to use a well honed razor at least once to see what it is supposed to feel like.

So, I shave the upper lip like I do with a MMOC.

Today I laid the spine flat and found the blade cut more smooth. Remember the first time using a gem and how it tugged until you got the angle right and then it was so smooth?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I realized today while stropping that the pins of one of my GD razors was a lot tighter in a better way than the other. The GD66 is a mite loose.

After reading some and watching a Lynn Abrams video on Straight Razor Repair-Tightening the hinge pin, i know what to do and I ordered the necessary tools - a small, 2 lb, jeweler's anvil and a small half domed chasing hammer. Both inexpensive on eBay (but not as inexpensive as when the video was made). I can find lots of uses for both tools.

proxy.php

Yes, I decided to strop both my GD razors. I think I've progressed a smidgeon with the strop, enough so I'm not likely to be damaging the razors with my little board strop which is the only one I'm using so far.

My stropping is done entirely holding the board strop in one hand and the razor in the other. A bit more give than putting anything on the table. Plus it feels easy enough.

Certainly I am no stropping master or even a competent strop user, so learn from someone who is.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My stropping is done entirely holding the board strop in one hand and the razor in the other. A bit more give than putting anything on the table. Plus it feels easy enough.

Watch your fingers!

I use to sharpen my knives with the stone on one leg, no off hand needed.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Watch your fingers!

I use to sharpen my knives with the stone on one leg, no off hand needed.

proxy.php

You're right. The fingers are important. So far it seems very easy to hold the board properly and avoid the fingers. I think the board was designed with that in mind but of course the board have little rubber feet so it can be used that way also.

proxy.php

I already have one ER visit from being stupid with razor blades + one five years ago generated by kitchen knife carelessness. In both cases I broke my own rules.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was excellent.

10-4-18.E-2.CopperManchurian.Kit.640.JPG

This is a great kit!

My Type E-2 open to clean injector is very easy to use, very forgiving, hard to use wrong, and gives a nice shave. The whole kit was like that today. The Manchurian, even though it's not my favorite handle, is my favorite brush; the knot is all that.

Cremo.BayRum.AtomicAge.CrownKing.640.8-18.JPG

Including these.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thursday's shave was excellent.

View attachment 917305

This is a great kit!

My Type E-2 open to clean injector is very easy to use, very forgiving, hard to use wrong, and gives a nice shave. The whole kit was like that today. The Manchurian, even though it's not my favorite handle, is my favorite brush; the knot is all that.

View attachment 917306

Including these.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Mine was nice as well.

Attachments

• 1EB458D4-5008-45BD-80EC-090387B50BEB.jpeg
    1EB458D4-5008-45BD-80EC-090387B50BEB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
Top Bottom