What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks so much for your help.

I had already decided to put the Kai blade away for a while before its second shave. Its first shave was close, but just too rough for me to give it another chance right away. I appreciate that its second, or third, or fourth shave might be better, but, frankly, I'm not up to it right now.

Instead, my plan was to use tomorrow morning a Gillette Green, the 7 O'Clock Super Stainless from Russia, of which I have five from my first sample pack. From what I've read elsewhere, and from what you added, it may be a nice blade in general, and particularly a nice blade tomorrow when I really need a smooth and comfortable shave.

I have ordered from Try A Blade a pretty good selection of what seem to me to be the upper end, sharp, well-reviewed blades (on B&B). Many that I ordered are the same as the ones you mentioned. I will probably order the others you talked about if I place another order. Of course, I may decide that one of the blades I test will suffice for long enough to temporarily abandon my quest, order a hundred of one blade, and stick with just one for a few months. That is, actually, my goal. I believe I'm beginning to get a handle on what might go into the "best" blade for me.

I'd read before that the Kai was wider, but had forgotten that little, important fact. Maybe that's why my shave this morning was so rough?

Thus far, I think the blade I most like is the Feather, but it really doesn't seem smooth exactly, or at least it isn't quite what my idea of smooth is, but I've very little experience with it or any other blades, having been at the DE shaving less than two weeks. I'm not counting my decade or so of experience with the DE decades ago.

One thing about the Feather blade in the AS-D2 is it works best with an extremely light touch. It really takes just tickling your skin with the Feather (at least that's how I think of trying to do it). I'm sure everyone who uses the Feather razor and the Feather blade come to much the same conclusion.

In the same vein, I do not think any blade which requires or encourages pressure a good choice in my razor.

None of that is to say that I have much idea of what I'm doing yet. Mostly, I'm going by experience, and trying to incorporate the suggestions which seem best to me as delivered by more experienced DE shavers.

This whole razor choice question is obviously very difficult and highly subjective with a huge amount of YMMV thrown into the mix. It helps me enormously to read a post like yours because you're both experienced with the blades, and looking at them, I think, like I do, and - this is hugely important when considering the right blade - you're using the blades in a razor rather similar to mine.

Thanks so much for helping me, and for contributing to my fund of knowledge, and this thread.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You're welcome!

The choices of blades can be mind boggling. I believe there are over 125 different blades and we all have different skin types, beard types, coarseness, density ect and blades are very much a personal choice. However, as you try more blades you'll find a few standouts from the crowd, focus on them. You'll find some of those to be exceptional, those I buy in bulk. You'll also find many work in a similar fashion and I can lump a lot of blades into the middle of the pack with really only two that I wont use again so far. Bic Chrome Platinum and Shark Super Chrome. Both blades gave me a burning itch a couple hours after shaving with them. I believe it to be the chrome plating I dont get along with.

I agree very little pressure is needed, but in using milder blades than Feather blades, you may find yourself compensating for that mildness by using more pressure. I have a feeling you'll experience that with the Gillette Green, but its such a smooth comfortable and forgiving blade, that you can get away with it to a point. Buffing with mild blades is a pleasure of its own.

Good luck and I'll be looking forward to reading your progress.

Mike.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You're not kidding about the Gillette Greens (Russian, 7 O'Clock SS) being smooth. Oh, my, how smooth can a blade be.

I treated the razor like it had a Feather, and tried to have zero pressure. Used just MWF. Synthetic brush. Did three passes + a little touch up.

Cold shave, of course.

I'd say I got a great shave, but I'll see how close it actually was (how long it lasts) as the day goes on.

I'm not saying there was no sting at all with the alum block, but it was relatively minimal (and I had yesterday's shave and the one the day before - both rough - to contend with.

I love this blade!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
They are smooth yep lol.

I found they didnt shave as closely as I like and I needed extra passes, but the smoothness makes up for that. I do have a coarse dense beard though.

Seeing as you liked that shave so much, try a Perma-Sharp Super. It's virtually as smooth but sharper and gave me a closer shave. A step up from there would be Polsilver SI and once you're up for it, a Gillette Yellow.

Try as many different blades as you can. They all are a little different and you will find "The One" blade.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
"Polsilver SI and a Gillette Yellow."

Both were included in the blade I ordered from Try A Blade, and received today.

I'm certainly going to try them.

The Gillette Greens may not be my final go to blade, but I'm sure I'll have some around for those days when I value smoothness over everything else. Can't say I got the closest shave ever (on my neck especially) with the Gillette Green razor blade this morning, but the shave is certainly socially acceptable, and my technique, and number of passes, and understanding of the map of my neck will only improve.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If I didnt already have 200 Derby Extra when I got around to using the Gillette Green, I likely would have bought them in bulk. As you say, its nice having a super smooth blade to let your skin recover from the sharper blades, but after using a Perma-Sharp Super, I would have bought them instead and still might at some point.

I would assume, much like my Tech, the AS-D2 takes a smaller "bite" of the stubble and because it does, you may need extra passes or buffing to get to where you want too be.

I read a post once, I cant remember from who, but he said he likely shaved every sq mm of his face 20 times, so to satisfy my own curiosity on one shave I counted the strokes on my buffing pass. My first pass was straight down, which for me is WTG above my jawline, and XTG below it until my chin where its directly WTG again. Second pass was constant buffing ATG and I counted 80 strokes per side of my face and neck with another 20 over my chin and upper lip.

With a mild razor and a blade not considered especially sharp, I can do that amount of buffing without any damage to my skin and only using water with the residual slickness from the soap. Buffing is really nice with a smooth blade and they will get you to the same point, but it takes longer and can take considerable buffing.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've not tried buffing yet. After three passes, I find using a finger, spots needing attention. I apply more lather with the brush to these spots, one by one, and go after them. Most of the spots seem to be places where the grain is atypical.

Buffing is on my list of skills to learn.

Of course, on my neck the grain is weird.

One little advantage resultant from today's shave is that my neck is not especially close. It seemed to be pretty smoothly shaven right after my shave (going by my finger test), but now, more than 10 hours later (and earlier in the afternoon, too, for that matter) it was obvious, using my fingers, that the shave wasn't as close as it sometimes is.

That is not a problem. My shave still looks okay. Were I going out for the evening I wouldn't be likely to shave again unless the event required exceptional grooming.

The advantage of today's less than totally close shave is it's given me a chance to again try to determine the grain of my neck.

Sometimes I think my neck takes hints from a map of Eastern Europe between the wars. Areas are in revolt, and can't decide which way to go. The map of my neck seems to change. I swear it is playing tricks on me, as if it has nothing better to do.

However, at least for today, I've determined that the grain may well be different from how I've been seeing it for the last few days, and more like I thought it was a while back. At any rate, I am going to change directions for WTG, XTG, and ATG to what seems right based on the map drawn today, a map which wouldn't have been drawn had the Gillette Green shaved closer.

Most of the blades I received today (ordered over a week ago, during Try A Blade's vacation, so shipped to me on Tuesday of this week) are blades I still want to try, or try more of. There are a couple which I'm not currently interested in, or tried already and don't know why I ordered more of, but, overall, the blades received today are ones I want to try.

There are a few I may want to examine which I did not order. Maybe I'll get them the next round.

At this point, I have a very nice selection of blades. Enough to cover a lot of bases. Enough that it would be silly to buy more right now, at least more just to try.

I may order more Gillette Greens and more Feathers (those are my top two for sure at this moment), but not yet. I still have more than five Feathers, and four unused Greens, with only one shave on the Green which is in the razor.

Today's delivery men also brought me more shaving soap. Now I have a nice little collection going in that department. Not that I'm ready for the 3017 Club, but I'm not going to run out in the next few months. I've tried only Proraso Green, MWF, and Italian Wool Fat (the superlather combination of the Fat and the Green). Now I have three more soaps plus several small samples of a cream.

I am in no big hurry to try any of these, much less all of them. I'm pretty pleased with what I've been doing, and really like Mitchell's Wool Fat. Still, I'll give them a whirl before long. Maybe one will end up on my brush tomorrow, it being Saturday.

One thing I'm pretty sure of: Tomorrow's shave with the Gillette 7 O'Clock SS Russian will be smooth!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My first pass is always straight down, when finished I wipe and feel with a damp hand, relather and usually shave directly ATG buffing as I go then again wipe with a damp hand and smooth any remaining lather out. If I use a blade on the sharper end of the spectrum, I can usually just use the remaining residual slickness for buffing my neck. If I use, for example a Gillette Green, I'd relather my neck and buff again over my neck, wipe and check, then clean up either side of my adams apple one last time, and they dont shave me as closely as other blades either.

It takes a while to learn exactly in which direction and how the stubble grows. I shave every other day. My skin is on the sensitive side and cant take sustained daily shaving. Combined with coarse and dense growth, I need a sharp blade for a good close shave, and I need a rigid design for a smooth comfortable shave.

If the soap you're currently using is performing well enough, why change. Once you get your blade preferences sorted and you know what you can expect from each sample blade you have tried, then try mixing it up trying different soaps and creams.

I started with Proraso Green, then White and have gone through nearly a tub of each along with a tube of Nivea Sensitive Skin Shave Cream, which is very good and not spoken of very often which is surprising for around the $3 price per tube. Then I discovered Stirling soaps and I've been using them pretty much exclusively since May. Their samples last a long time...

Then I was given a sample of Captain's Choice North cream and my eyes were opened to the differences among soaps and creams. There is a vast array of soaps/creams to try and they've been a very pleasurable experience for me so far and there are so many skilled artisan soap makers it's as mind boggling as blade choices.

In the end it all comes down to what works the best for you and what you enjoy using. I right now have 5 razors in a rotation, each with the blade that razor likes the most and working through 12 different Stirling soap samples. One of which I bought a full tub of, Black Cherry, it smells good enough to eat haha.

I was so impressed by the Captain's Choice North cream sample, that I right away ordered a full tub of their 45th Parallel cream and I await it anxiously.

When it all comes together it makes all the trial and error worth it and only speaking for myself, I've never used a cartridge razor that can come close to a nice DE shave. I started with a DE in 1980 or 81 then got sucked into the cartridge razors when the only blade we could get in Canada at the time was Wilkinson Sword that was made in England, and when the production shifted to Germany or wherever it went, the blades stopped working for me. I only came back to DE shaving a few short months ago at the same time I joined this forum and I have to say, I'm much happier because of it.

I think tomorrow will be Tech day for me, with a Feather blade that has 3 shaves on it. I'm hoping it will smooth out the more I use it. I have a Gillette Yellow in my SS and yesterday was shave #9 for a 3 pass+ BBS shave. They really are nice blades. The Gillette Nacet is very close to the Yellow, I need to get one of those out again too.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The soaps are quite the rabbit hole, but not the only one.

I'm not interested in having a bunch of razors if one works great for me, and I'm willing to put in the time to learn to use the one I acquired. My selection was made by doing a lot of homework, and my plan was to buy once, and buy the best. I'll not buy again unless forced to do so. My belief is the same as my grandfather's in that regard: It is a poor workman who blames his tools, and refuses to learn to use them properly.

Still, I understand perfectly well why some people end up with a razor collection, or with a small group to rotate, or with a few razors for different uses. Nothing wrong with any of it. Nothing at all.

For some it's a shave. For others it's a hobby.

I know my RazoRock Monster synthetic is really all the brush I actually need. It may be necessary to have a couple of boars, rather than one boar, so that one brush is always completely dry, or even three boars in case a day arises when you decide to shave twice.

So, why do I have two synthetics already, and two boars, and a third boar on order, and several more brushes on my wish list? Why do I want to buy a RazoRock Hulk?

If I had to shave every day for the rest of my life with Mitchell's Wool Fat I'd be fine. Having Proraso Green as a change of pace, and having Italian Wool Fat as another really puts me in high cotton.

I suppose I can justify merely wanting to try some more soaps. How do they lather? How do they feel? How do they shave? What's their scent? But, I know full well that I don't really need them.

Same with aftershaves, right? My old standby, which I infrequently used to use, Royal Bay Rhum, is fine. Yet here I am buying more splashes.

Not to say I'm not watching my pennies. I've not purchased any really expensive brushes (no Simpsons or anything like that, which isn't saying never to a Simpson Chubbie). The brushes of the boar and synthetic world, at least most of them, are reasonably inexpensive.

The soaps I've acquired are towards the low end of the price scale, too. It seems to me it's a world of soaps where it's not true that you get what you pay for. Besides, I'm interested in trying the classics, and I mean the inexpensive classics, plus a few of the well reviewed American made artisan soaps. Again, this doesn't mean I will never buy a puck of MdC, and pay shipping from France.

As a proud member of The Order of the Fat I am committed to shaving with MWF on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and on any other day I feel like using it. As a new DE shaver I'm inclined to mostly shave with one soap, and use mostly one or two brushes, and shave with the only DE razor I own. Aside from that, anything goes.

Anything goes, but I'm watching my aftershave pennies, too, and only buying a few of the most inexpensive splashes, mostly Clubman.

I consider it essential to buy a selection of blades. If I don't, I won't know that I have one reasonably suitable for my face. However, I do remember shaving with the Wilkinson Sword that was made in England. When those babies hit the American scene it was amazing how well they were received. Everybody loved, loved, loved them. The selection of blades had doubled, and the quality of the Sword Blades was amazing. Now there are how many to select from (or wade through)? Certainly dozens of reasonable choices, and many more blades which are cheap, and crummy (from what I've read), but probably just right for somebody.

It's a great time to be in the DE world. The nice, tattooed lady at Sally's Beauty Shop told me she can't believe how popular DE shaving is becoming.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yes, need and want are two very different things, which I sometimes have a hard time discerning lol.

I could shave happily for the rest of my days with my NEW SC, Polsilver SI blades and Nivea cream, and do so for much less cost than buying any cartridge refills. I find DE shaving now something I enjoy vs it being a task I had to deal with and just get through, begrudgingly at times.

Of the soaps and creams I have tried, I cant really say I've noticed enough of a difference between any that I wouldnt be happy with using any one in particular all the time. Performance on the whole has been similar among them but the different scents and the sensation of say a Stirling menthol certainly have their moments. I have yet to try the Stirling Glacial I have, the menthol seems cold enough to me!

I only use a single brush, a $15 Omega 10005 boar and I honestly dont see the need for another. A synthetic has been on my mind, along with some of the harder triple milled soaps. As I understand it, synthetic bristles can work a lather up quicker, especially with the harder soaps. I just have no need of one yet.

I get as much satisfaction from using a scent that sort of fits my mood at the time as I do from using a razor and blade that also suits me at the time. I have enough blades to last me many years and I may try a Fatip razor only because I find I'm enjoying a more aggressive and closer shave, but not sure I could ever get a "better" shave than I currently am.

There is a blade out there for everyone and I'm a firm believer of trying as many as you can until you find "The One". There is one, and it is out there. Not sure I could say the same for soaps and/or brushes, for myself anyway.

I dont use any aftershaves, so I guess I can substitute more soaps/creams haha.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
One brush is all anyone needs if they shave every other day. Shaving daily, a boar won't always dry completely, but it's going to be dry in a couple of days for sure.

My synthetics are very soft, but have enough backbone. I don't know that they lather better. Certainly there's little difference in the lathering with the brushes I use, and my soaps, but I've not tried all the brushes nor all the soaps.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My posts must be even more unclear than I thought.

Not that I've been shaving with a DE long at all, being a rank newbie, but...

My shaves are multiple passes in multiple directions. Usually three passes - WTG, XTG, ATG. Sometimes, four passes - WTG, XTG (in two directions), and ATG. Sometimes, adding touch ups.

On one occasion, a Saturday, I did a one pass shave. It turned out to be a shave which certainly was not bad, but it was not very close at all. It was comfortable which was the objective that day.

I have noticed, using different blades, that some shaves are very smooth (as in BBS on my face), and very comfortable (no irritation persisting beyond an application of witch hazel followed by a moisturizer), but they don't turn out to be all that close. The true test of how close they were appears later in the day. Truly close shaves don't grow back as fast.

I am beginning to realize that I have to rate my shaves in terms of their comfort, and for how smooth the result appears to me, and for how close the shave turns out to be having looked at it towards evening.

I think the very sharp blades such as the Feather shave closer, but I'm trying different blades to see how I like them. So far, the Feather is the gold standard against which I'm comparing the others, but there may be a blade which shaves as close as the Feather and is also a bit more smooth in its feeling on my skin during the shave.

There are several more blades which I've ordered and am eager to try out to see if they can surpass and unseat the Feather.

I hope I'm being clear here.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Ah, gotcha'.

Well if you're looking to try smooth yet sharp blades, I'd recommend GSB; I find it smoother than Feather, but still pretty darn sharp. Also Gillette Black is smooth, but is not exceptionally sharp though it might worth a try. But if I had to bet on one blade that might work for you, my money would be on GSB.

As for me in my EJ DE89, I like Feathers, GSBs, and you probably won't be impressed - KAI!

I would consider buying blades by the tuck (usually 5 pcs), to try them. In fact I often buy two tucks at a time. That way I have a lot of blades to form an opinion, and to try against each other or even come back to later. Tucks are usually 2-3 bucks at places like smallflower.com. I'm fortunate I can buy locally.

One last item: You can always shim your present razor to get a bit more aggressiveness out of it. It's just one more variable, since you seemed reluctant to try other razors at this point.

Good luck!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well if you're looking to try smooth yet sharp blades, I'd recommend GSB; I find it smoother than Feather, but still pretty darn sharp...

Good luck!

Thanks. I very much appreciate all the help you and others are giving me concerning razor blade selection. Everybody seems to be saying much the same thing. Not saying anything opposite to the meaning of YMMV, but the group of blades which seem to be good for most people is shrinking and the common elements of agreed upon good choices are becoming more clear to me.

My newest order of blades to try, from Try A Blade, includes most of the blades you mention. I am particularly looking forward to trying the GSB. In fact, it was supposed to be included in the samples I initially bought from an Amazon seller, but they substituted another blade for the GSB which is why I will never deal with an Amazon sample pack seller again. Yes, I want what I ordered. I think that not too much to ask of a vendor.

The Russian Gillette Green is very smooth, and I'm sure it will have it's uses. At the least I'll have some around for any days on which my face or neck need to recover; it is that smooth. I could use it every day I think, but I'm still looking for the best blend of sharp and smooth.

GSB may turn out to be the winner. There are several contenders, including GSB, still untested on my face. And, I like the Feathers pretty well, although I'd prefer something a bit more smooth.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today's shaving lesson was instructive.

Why? Because I tried, for the first time, a different shaving soap. I suspect it was a bad decision, and now better understand the advice to stick with one soap for a month or so, and find out how to shave, learn technique, etc.

Don't capriciously change the variables!

I'm not going to name the soap. It may be perfectly fine. However, even though it seemed like I lathered up enough soap to do four or five passes, the soap didn't last long enough (there was less lather than there appeared to be) to do (barely) two passes. I'll put the puck away for a month or so, and certainly try it again, knowing I have to learn the soap's qualities.

It was certainly, on this first trial, no Mitchell's Wool Fat. Of course, it's not Mitchell's, so what do I expect? Besides, it's not lanolin based, etc.

User inexperience with it ain't the soap's fault.

My shave was okay with just WTG and ATG. Not great, but socially acceptable at worst. Not as comfortable as yesterday's shave, but no blood or anything, and certainly comfortable enough. Again, it wasn't Mitchell's Wool Fat I was using, and that's totally on me.

3.png

Tomorrow I'm going to do something new. The plan is to try the Gillette 7 O'Clock SS Russian Green for a third time. Previously I've always discarded the blade after two uses, but I want to test the blade again using Mitchell's Wool Fat (again), comparing tomorrow's shave with today's.

It will be an unfair comparison if I do three passes, but that's the breaks.

My shave today was totally cold, of course. My brush was the still-not-100%-broken in-but-getting-there Semoque SOC boar. It's not completely there yet, and I'm still working on it every day, but it is already very soft. I know it will improve from here to eternity.

Yeah, I read the book. I was thirteen, and a very young shaver!

My aftershave was Royall Lyme. I use it infrequently, but always enjoy it when the occasion arises. I prefer the old Brooks Brothers Lime, but haven't had any of that stuff in decades, and couldn't find it when I last tried. The Royall Lyme is damn good though.

Of course I used the alum block and witch hazel. It really is amazing how instantly soothing an application of witch hazel is.
shorn.jpg

So, here I am, all freshly shaven, but not shorn. All ready to watch college football. Go, Dawgs! Ah, life is good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'll put the puck away for a month or so, and certainly try it again, knowing I have to learn the soap's qualities.

You might do that with the blades you dont like on first use too.

When I first tried a Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black) I really didnt get along with it. It was rough harsh tuggy and tore my neck up pretty good ATG and I honestly have no idea why.

I tried another again, from the same tuck, and had a very nice shave. Not sure what I did wrong the first time, but certainly glad I went back and tried them again.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You might do that with the blades you don't like on first use too.

Oh, yes, absolutely. Anything I don't like (as opposed to totally hate) will stick around for another trial in a few months, or maybe in a few years.

I've tried no blades yet that I hate. Even the Kai deserves another trial (with attention to the fact that it is wider than other blades, and has more blade exposure).

The soap I used today is one where I've read that the first lather isn't as good as subsequent lathers.

Besides that, I discovered it was more thirsty than I initially believed it to be. The second time I added water I screwed up and added more water than I meant to. It didn't ruin the lather, but it was still too much water.

Although I will certainly try this soap again, and will try some of the other soaps I have now, or have ordered, I will probably not use soaps other than Mitchell's Wool Fat (and, with it, Proraso, as Italian Wool Fat rocks) for a good while.

The possible exception is Tabac. It's on order, and highly reviewed, and said to be very easy to lather as well as slick. Like MWF, it is a classic, I suspect, for good reason. I'll probably give it a spin shortly after it arrives, on a day when I don't work, and on a day other than a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday, as those are reserved for Mitchell's Wool Fat. Permanently. Unless I change my mind.

The blades will stick around to try later. Ditto the soaps. Ditto all brushes. Etc.

Thanks for all your helpful advice. I suspect it will be useful to anyone reading this thread. I have no idea whether newbies tend to read this section of the forum more than others, but I'm sure there's some good stuff here.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Of the few soaps and creams that I have used, they all take a slightly different technique to get the lather how you like it. It can take 3 or 4 tries before you figure it out.

I might just pick up a tube of Proraso Blue cream tonight and try it as I havent yet. I'd like to try Red too. I cant buy it locally, but its on the list!

I just had my second shave with a Perma-Sharp Super in my Gillette Regent. They really are nice blades. Smooth and sharp and left my skin cool and comfortable.

This forum is a wealth of information. I was a lurker on here for about a month before I joined so I could use the search function and see the pictures. Then my education really expanded. Just recently a post thats 4 years old helped me repair a 1940 Gillette Regent Tech so yes, sooner or later someone is going to read this thread and find it useful.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well, I have a lot of mind changing to discuss, along with today's shave.

Yesterday I got into looking at vintage razors, not for the first time. Fortunately or unfortunately I came across a couple which grabbed me, and I bought them.

My New Tech.jpg

This one is a 1951 Gillette Tech said by the seller to be in near mint condition.

Slim.jpg

The second razor is a 1963 Gillette Slim Adjustable said by the seller to be in great shape.

From the many pictures provided by the seller - pictures better than the ones I grabbed to show you - the razors look to be as described. The ebay seller has a 30 day return policy, so I will check the razors out carefully, and try to make sure they are as described. Neither were particularly cheap, but I did a good bit of homework, and read a number of posts and threads on B&B in an effort to determine that I was buying at a price point consistent with what other similar razors have sold for on ebay. Also, I explored other sellers to see their prices, including private sellers on this site.

I think I got okay deals assuming the seller to be honest in their descriptions.

I do not plan to shave with these razors until I've been using the Feather AS-D2 for long enough to believe I'm truly competent with it. Still, I bought both razors both to have them, and look at them, and to shave with. At least I plan to try them out.

I also like the idea of having an adjustable just to see what a more aggressive razor would be like - down the road, not now, not soon - should I get the notion.

Sometime during the night I realized I didn't need a third shave with the Gillette Green blade. I know I like the blade. I know its limitations. It's very smooth. It's sharp enough for a super smooth razor blade, but it's not as sharp as the blade I hope to find. The Green will definitely be a blade I have in my arsenal, and I don't need to know more about it than that.

I decided today's shave would be with a blade I've been hot to try.
PolSilver SI.jpg
Yes, it really is a great blade in my razor and on my face. Sharp and smooth. A very nice combination. We'll see how tomorrow's shave with it goes, and how today's shave holds up (how close was this morning's shave will be determined later in the day, right), but, so far, I think this is my favorite blade.

I got a really fine shave. A Damn Comfortable Shave. I mean really great in that department, but that's not saying a shave couldn't be more comfortable. Still, there was very little irritation as measured by how things felt during the shave. There was, too, less irritation than usual as measured by applying the alum block immediately post shave. Not zero irritation, but probably the best ever with a DE.

I did three passes everywhere and some extra mini passes over much of my neck. Maybe I did five or six passes on some substantial areas plus another pass or two or three on spots which seemed resistant to leaving.

I was careful, and slow enough, and used lots of lather.

My brush was the RazoRock Monster synthetic (you should have one of these big dogs). My soap was straight Mitchell's Wool Fat. I used witch hazel, and moisturizer, and Clubman Pinaud.

This Feather razor is really nice. It started out great, and it is growing on me more and more. I understand why - technically speaking, with gap and blade exposure - it's considered to be a mild razor. However, it sure gets the job done.

I'm very interested in getting a very close, old fashioned barber shop close, shave. Just give me shaves like the barbers of my youth could deliver and I'll be happy, and those were close, close, close shaves. Is there anything beyond BBS?

My interest in BBS shaves is less though than my interest in having all of my shaves be damn comfortable. That - comfort, lack of irritation, lack of blood - is a higher priority than BBS.

I am saying that these are not appearing to be - with this Feather AS-D2 razor, and with the PolSilver SI blade, and with my cold shaving method, and its related preparation, etc. - mutually exclusive.

I believe I'm on track to getting a close and comfortable shave of the sort delivered by the experienced, trained, and skilled barbers of decades ago.

That's amazing to me. It tells me you guys were right in telling everyone to dump the cartridge razors for old fashioned double edge razors and all their associated implements and software.

Of course, there is the time involved in shaving this way. I'm sure I will become faster, and I have time to do it right, but I'm sure glad for that luxury of time. Were I pressed for time I'd be using soaps and brushes and a Gillette Fusion.

I have a number of blades to try, but I'm tempted just to order a hundred PolSilvers and a hundred Greens and be done with it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Oh, I'm still learning an important part of this wet shaving puzzle. It may be hardest part for me.
Neck Map.jpg

I know everybody, most of us anyway, have a difficult time with our neck napping. I do not draw on a picture like this, but just feel and explore with my finger. My understanding of the growth patterns on my neck continues to increase.

Still, every time I map my neck it seems different. The degree of difference is less than it was. I'm making progress. I believe it is possible.

Baby.jpg

I am getting a better neck shave, just not the neck shave I want which is a BBS & Damn Comfortable Shave.

Still...

Giraffe.jpg

We don't have this guy's problem. Thank God for small favors, and those not so small.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Tech is a great razor although I'm sure you'll notice the differences in handles and weight between the AS-D2 and it and I'm curious how you'll compare the shaves when you get around to using it. My Tech is a really nice shaver and sometimes I dont mind doing 6 passes or more and still ending up with a comfortable shave.

I havent used an adjustable, but I would think the Slim to be equal to my NEW SC when set at around 5. With a razor more aggressive than my Tech, I can get the same shave with half the passes. My norm with the SC is 2 full passes and 1 clean up pass over my neck vs the 6+ with my Tech. The milder razor takes a smaller "bite" of the stubble and whittles it down slowly and gently.

Polsilver are a fantastic blade but before you buy, have a look at my review of another blade here: SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium

I'm not sure I could tell that blade from a Polsilver if forced to pick and they're nearly half price, although I have no idea if it would be possible to get 120 shaves from a single Blue Diamond as 1Cal did with a Polsilver.

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

Many people say they last a very long time, but I havent pushed one to find out yet.

As far as a BBS shave and the time it takes to attain it, it will come on its own in its own time. I shave quickly and with most any razor and a suitably sharp blade I can make my lather, shave 2+ passes for a BBS finish and towel my face in around 5-7 minutes. I can actually shave faster with a DE vs my Mach 3 because the DE is more comfortable in use, especially ATG. My Mach 3 is rough and feels as though I'm shaving with 220grit sandpaper, but its much easier to use. The DE on the other hand is much much smoother, more efficient and less irritating because its only a single blade edge, which in my opinion, is all thats needed.

Mapping below the jawline can be tricky but it will in time become instinctual shaving the right direction in different areas. For me the biggest thing thats helped me over my neck ATG is a rigid razor design, and all of your razors are rigid. A blade like the Polsilver that combines sharpness and smoothness will get you there, but you may need to learn how to buff without letting any irritation build up. I buff constantly on my ATG pass until I can no longer feel or hear anything being cut. Sometimes, a thick protective lather can be a hindrance to that which is why my lather really thins out for my last clean up buffing pass. With a good soap, the residual slickness is usually more than enough with just adding a drop or two of water.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Your review, and the entire thread make the blade sound like it is worth trying. However, I'm not going to try it just yet because I have a bunch to try. Had I known of this blade I would have included it in my last Try a Blade order, and, should I order more samples, the SuperMax Blue Diamond will definitely be included.

Oh, tell me more about the Gillette SC. How aggressive is it? How does it compare to the Gillette LC? There are many conversations about which is milder, and why, and razor blade rigidity in the two, etc. All of which is rather fascinating, but confusing, and illustrates how poorly the science of double edge razor design is understood by most of us (particularly by one of us, me).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom