What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Absolutely!

I do enjoy an aftershave splash for the old burn:bayrum2: and quench:velva2:, and the (usually not too long lasting) scent. But only for fun; I don't need it.

Lucky you, Cal.

Dry skin, not everywhere, but on my face, has long been a problem for me.

On the theory that perhaps the alcohol in aftershaves might be exacerbating dryness, I stopped using them for the most part. I'm not entirely sure it's made much difference to my skin, but it may have. It may have made some difference in my allergies, too; I might be allergic to some of the scents in the splashes. IDK.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday my shave was somewhat experimental.

1-29-23.Athena.MdC.BigMo.640.JPG
AlsoSheaButter.PreshaveGear.640.JPG
Osma. Alum Block. 2-16-19. 480..jpg

I'm revisiting MdC. Previously I decided MdC was too drying to my skin.

In early January, 2022, my preshave products and routines were about figured out. Since this post was written I don't think I've used MdC.

Many times it has occurred to me that my evaluations of soaps have been colored by my preshave products and routines for as long as they've been part of my shaves.

For instance, on another forum there are guys talking about Canada Shaving Soap as very drying to the skin. One of them says he's an amateur soap maker. He says the formula of CSS is inherently drying.

Canada Shaving Soap is not drying in my experience of it, but I'm applying preshave extra glycerin and various fats which change the lather and the way the soap works.

The most drying soap I've ever used was Murphy's Wool Fat. I used it exclusively for a good while. I will never use it again having tried it not too long ago. Horrible for my skin.

The second most drying soap for me is MdC. I have used it again though, today. I'm pretty sure I've tried it with my current preshave products but not entirely sure.

To complicate matters, and be fair, and transparent, there is this: I'm currently experimenting with alum which is why it's pictured above. I've not used alum in a long time, and have not previously considered it a part of my preshave or post-shave routines.

1675013887181.png

It's too soon after this one shave + one shave isn't enough shaves to be sure of anything.

I used about ten swirls of MdC. I know that's a huge amount of MdC. I've used as few as three or four. Ten swirls applied to my Mozingo brush what looked like barely above zero soap, but it was plenty to apply to my skin the spackling look I seek and to generate rich lather once I added water with the brush's tips.

Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg

Just in case you have to ask!​

Also, today I shave with my hearing aids installed. It's always great to listen to the Athena's wonderfully instructive feedback.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I recently picked up this soap bowl for my alum block. I guess I could cut the round top off and let it stand up...:001_unsur
20230128_222751.jpg
Nope. Whenever you let it stand up, any residual water drains to the bottom of the block and it starts to get loose in its holder.

Shave mail...

26 mm Mozingo knot in a Chisel & Hound handle. Brand new in the photos.

(Photo on the left better captures the colors.)

Now washed. Drying in anticipation of tomorrow.

I'm looking to buy an excellent empty 24 mm brush handle and having trouble finding one...

Happy shaves,

Jim

Congrats!! What a handsome handle!

Eager to hear the first report :)

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Jim, if you haven’t read scent descriptions by @flask28 , you’re missing something amazing. Dig into his journal for the days before he was claimed by ARKO!’s majesty.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday. Another good and also experimental shave.

I also received a little bit of shave mail.

2-1-23.Alum&RazorBank.640.JPG

I needed a new blade bank. I wanted to try this version of alum. (Thank you, Cal@Cal.)

Both of ⇡these⇡ arrived in the mail at work today. Neither have been used yet but both will be used tomorrow.

2-1-23..Athena.MdC.SV.Cocobolo.640.JPG

These SV 2.0 brushes...

7-23-22.SV-3.Brushes.Tortoise.Cocobolo.Horn..640 (1).JPG

...are all great brushes.

The larger, 30 mm, LE SV brushes may be better. I kinda sorta think maybe they are, but I also know my opinion may very well be based entirely on the fact that I like larger brushes. I can't actually point to objective evidence that the larger LE brushes have knots which are better other than being larger.

To be fair, the "smaller" 28 mm SV 2.0 brushes are quite large by most standards. They're certainly large by my standards. By any standard I'm aware of they are top tier brushes.

I find both the 28 mm knots of the SV 2.0 brushes and the 30 mm knots of the SV LE brushes - all of them - remarkably well balanced. Saponificio Varesino has figured out how to make brushes, both handles and knots, which are very much to my liking!

Today I used the preshave products I mostly use every day, but also I used my alum block on my wet and rinsed face before I applied my post shave Mysterium Serum. So far, I'm finding that using alum this way appears to be beneficial to my skin.

***I'm not noticing significant drying as I use MdC along with my usual preshave products and procedures + alum.***

It is still early days with ⇡ the experiment⬆︎ of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom