What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Friday. Plumbers at the house. Handyman at the house. New brush.

Brand new and unwashed this Mozingo brush certainly doesn't look like it has a big knot, but it does. I washed it yesterday afternoon with Dawn and hand lathered it. I towel dried it better than I usual do because I hoped it might be close enough to dry to use this morning. It was. (That's kinda amazing as my house had no heat last night.)

View attachment 1543017

Last night when moving the blade from the SE2 to the X1 I dropped it in the sink. Just in case the fall had damaged the edge a new blade was installed in the X1.

The X1 delivered a very good shave with ease and without drama. Excellent razor!

One use of the Mozingo is enough to offer a few initial comments. I'm assuming it will change a bit over a few shaves. In person and brand new this knot has a flat top shape. Far from my favorite knot shape.

(I knew before purchasing the Mozingo what the knot's shape would be, but from the photos on their website you can't determine the shape of the knot so be warned. Most reviews of the Mozingo rank it with the Varlet and similar super top tier brushes none of which I've ever used.)

My photos of the unwashed brush fail to capture the shape well enough. My skills are poor.

Anyway, washed the shape is much more of a fan. I like the shape. It is a huge fan, too. I've not put the calipers to the knot. It's nominal size is 28 mm. I believe it has to be every bit that large.

View attachment 1543034

The Mozingo has loads of backbone but it's certainly not too stiff. It's not in the league with a DO1 two band in backbone stiffness. It's not in the league with my copper Zenith Manchurian at least when the copper was brand new; the Zenith had the backbone of a dinosaur. The Mozingo is close enough for government work.

The face feel exhibits plenty of presence. It may become softer of course, but initially it is not what I'd call a knot marked by softness. Tons of scrub. Functionally sound as are all good brushes.

I like it, but it doesn't blow me away.

It may grow on me. My guess is it will grow on me, but that's only speculation. We'll see. Don't get me wrong. If it stays exactly like it is now it will be a brush I like having in my rotation, a brush which won't gather dust. If it improves as expected it will be a top tier favorite, but it's not an instant mind blower in the way my SV brushes were.

The handle is stunning.

Unwashed the shape seemed perhaps a little wonky, but washed it's fine. I suspect from looking down on the knot that it has an extra dense knot by any standard but it doesn't feel too dense or excessively dense or too stiff. It splays just fine. It loads and lathers nicely. I think the flow through is good, but not as good as the SV brushes. (Not that I care all that much about flow through.)

I've read the Mozingo knots are slight gelled. Perhaps they are. I'm not sure what it means to say a knot is gelled. Yes, I get it refers to a chemical treatment of the knot. However, the SV knots have the "gel clump" look to a small degree, but SV says the knots are not gelled.

To me, a gelled knot is like the AP Gelousy. Man do I hate that knot! (At first I didn't but it went rapidly downhill in my estimation of it.)

This knot doesn't seem gelled to me, going by the feel, but it clumps a little in a way similar to the SV knots. The Mozingo didn't feel crusty to me this morning, dry.

My skin is a little dry but that's the weather and not my shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim
I agree with you about the Mozingo tips—mine are either very slightly gelled or natural. That said, the tips are very soft to me.

Thanks for the detailed review. I love my ZT3. Mine is the first and only true fan I’ve had. Mine is a 26mm, but feels like a 28mm at least—perhaps larger.

I like mine quite a bit. Perhaps it will grow on you. I was awfully tempted by the latest drop.

-Trey

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
10-21-22.Mozinzo.New.Washed.640.JPG

My Mozimba is the ZT4. I should have mentioned that earlier.

I agree with you about the Mozingo tips—mine are either very slightly gelled or natural. That said, the tips are very soft to me.

Thanks for the detailed review. I love my ZT3. Mine is the first and only true fan I’ve had. Mine is a 26mm, but feels like a 28mm at least—perhaps larger.

I like mine quite a bit. Perhaps it will grow on you. I was awfully tempted by the latest drop.

-Trey

Thanks, Trey.

Did yours "break in" or improve in softness over time? As I said, mine's okay as it is, but I wouldn't call it all that soft. I don't value softness over scrub, but there should be a sweet spot in the balance of the two qualities. I'd put the emphasis slightly towards scrub.

(By the way, I could be called Trey, too, as I'm the III/third.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1543217

My Mozimba is the ZT4. I should have mentioned that earlier.

Thanks, Trey.

Did yours "break in" or improve in softness over time? As I said, mine's okay as it is, but I wouldn't call it all that soft. I don't value softness over scrub, but there should be a sweet spot in the balance of the two qualities. I'd put the emphasis slightly towards scrub.

(By the way, I could be called Trey, too, as I'm the III/third.)

Happy shaves,

Jim
Dan (@Hannah's Dad), broke mine in for me, as I bought it from him, so I’m not sure what it was like at first.

Among my favorite brushes (which include two Varlets and a Declaration Grooming B14), it is the softest brush. Perhaps it will improve over time or perhaps it is a difference among batches.

BTW, I am a third too. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Dan (@Hannah's Dad), broke mine in for me, as I bought it from him, so I’m not sure what it was like at first.

Among my favorite brushes (which include two Varlets and a Declaration Grooming B14), it is the softest brush. Perhaps it will improve over time or perhaps it is a difference among batches.

BTW, I am a third too. :)

Of course you are.

I was grown before I realized everyone called Trey was a third. Maybe that's just everyone I knew called Trey.

Wow, Varlets & a DG B14 & a Mozingo!

(I'm still getting my head around the name which is my excuse for badly misspelling Mozingo in an earlier post; I proofread and still miss way too much.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
We had heat last night.

1666438715441.png

The plumbers and handyman, that's three people at the minimum, certainly at least one more when their boss was here, and he was here at least sometimes, were here all day yesterday. They were here before I left at 8:20 am, and they stayed until after 5 pm, when I was leaving for the Kroc Center pool.

They're not through, but mostly are, I think. One more part needs to be ordered, or obtained, and replaced in the heating system. It is some sort of safety device. They were certain we'd be safe without it for a few days, but will return to replace it sometime next week.

We don't keep the house warm, but at least it's not cold. Big difference. I'm very grateful.

The thermostat downstairs is usually set at 55 because high settings such as 72 make it way too hot upstairs. I'm thinking of moving it up to 58 degrees though.

1666438904132.png

This morning I have Rolfing. I think this is the last of the ten sessions. My plan is to continue on with my Rolfer, and have more of her magic applied to my body, but not immediately after the tenth session. We'll have a little break. We are figuring out today where we should go with the work. There are several options.

I have a busy day planned. It's time to hit the shave den now.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was good.

10-22-22.X1.CanadaSS.BigMo.640.JPG

I don't buy brushes for their handles, but, boy oh boy, this is a beautiful handle. However one turns it, it is beautiful. However one turns it, it looks different from how it looks turned any other way. It also looks integrated; some handles have a show side and a not so showy side. This has infinite show sides.

I'm planning to let Big Mo dry completely for several days before using it again. This may be, in terms of how it interacts with my face during face lathering, the biggest knot I've used, and I have plenty of right large brushes. I'm pretty sure it's a huge knot by any standard I consider reasonable. It's certainly functionally bigger than my 30 mm brushes.

Dare I say it might be too big!

I'm also planning, if I shave tomorrow, to use a very very soft brush. I may have a bit of brush burn or I may just have dry skin due to the weather change. In any case, I'm glad to have a few super soft brushes for times like these, and I will employ one as needed or on any whim. The brush burn or whatever is not a big deal, but no reason to not modify gear as indicated even by minor indications, assuming one has the options available.

3-24.22. All My Brushes. Shelves.640JPG.JPG

When this photo was taken, in March, these were all my brushes. Now I have more. I suspect I have the right gear.

(The photo was before the SV 2.0 brushes and before Big Mo of course.)

It is possible my Blackland ti AC razor, the Vector, will arrive at the office today, but, since it's not out for delivery I suspect it will be Monday. If it arrives today, I may drive out there to get it. Otherwise it will be up for Tuesday's shave I suspect.

1666453728219.png

No scent today, but otherwise used my standard preshave gear.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Saturday's shave was good.

View attachment 1543679

I don't buy brushes for their handles, but, boy oh boy, this is a beautiful handle. However one turns it, it is beautiful. However one turns it, it looks different from how it looks turned any other way. It also looks integrated; some handles have a show side and a not so showy side. This has infinite show sides.

I'm planning to let Big Mo dry completely for several days before using it again. This may be, in terms of how it interacts with my face during face lathering, the biggest knot I've used, and I have plenty of right large brushes. I'm pretty sure it's a huge knot by any standard I consider reasonable. It's certainly functionally bigger than my 30 mm brushes.

I'm also planning, if I shave tomorrow, to use a very very soft brush. I may have a bit of brush burn or I may just have dry skin due to the weather change. In any case, I'm glad to have a few super soft brushes for times like these, and I will employ one as needed or on any whim. The brush burn or whatever is not a big deal, but no reason to not modify gear as indicated even by minor indications, assuming one has the options available.

View attachment 1543681

When this photo was taken, in March, these were all my brushes. Now I have more. I suspect I have the right gear.

(The photo was before the SV 2.0 brushes and before Big Mo of course.)

It is possible my Blackland ti AC razor, the Vector, will arrive at the office today, but, since it's not out for delivery I suspect it will be Monday. If it arrives today, I may drive out there to get it. Otherwise it will be up for Tuesday's shave I suspect.

View attachment 1543682

No scent today, but otherwise used my standard preshave gear.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Wow, that’s some collection, Jim! What is your favorite brush? I recall that you like your Zenith Manchurians quite a bit.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wow, that’s some collection, Jim! What is your favorite brush? I recall that you like your Zenith Manchurians quite a bit.

I love my Zenith Manchurians. Both of them.

Two.Zenith.Manchurians.1-5-19.640.JPG

Both Zenith Manchurians are great. The knots are dissimilar. The wooden handled Manchurian reminds me some, at this point in its development, of the SV knots.

1666459500739.png

I'd say my favorite brushes are ⇡ these ⇡ three.

However, it depends what I want on any given day.

Unlike most everyone else, I do not think of the SV knots as especially dense. They have plenty of hairs of course. In my view, some brushes suffer from being too dense for the loft or something like that. I say something like that to acknowledge the fact I actually know nothing about brushes, their design parameters, and what makes them good. It's like art: I know what I like.

Several of my brushes probably aren't broken in yet. The DO1 two band has been used at least 150 times but it's not broken in in my view of it; Rudy says his is soft but he's been using it for ten years. The Simpson Manchurian is not broken in after quite a few uses. The new Mozingo is not broken in. Any one of these could supplant the current favorite should they improve when fully broken in.

I do claim to be less fickle than Rave @Raven Koenes, but won't argue if you disagree.

You might even want to use it on the drive home!

~doug~

Isn't that why they make self driving cars? :)

Just have to be careful to not spill the shaving water. ;)

And, I was just this morning telling my wife I don't want a Tesla.

Do they have an optional sink?

1666460582874.png
Those self driving vehicles seem way scary to me. They remind me that we need a new generation of Burma-Shave signs.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

My Mozingo also seems way bigger than its knot size would suggest. Here is a shot from the top of my 26mm Mozingo compared to my 29mm Varlet—and, yes, the Mozingo is the one that looks larger:
8142FBC0-BF96-4C77-A841-DA7DDD010A45.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
First thing this morning, after applying a morning layer of shea butter to my dry skin, I measured Big Mo.

10-21-22.Mozinzo.New.Washed.640.JPG

10-23-22.Mozingo.Brushworks.Coin.640.JPG

I was unable to get a better photo of the Mozingo Brushworks coin. You can see from the inaccurate blue that I missed with the lighting. (The bottom blue is the same color as the blue in the picture of the actual brush.)

The knot measures at its exit with my calipers at 30 mm. About what I'd expect given a nominal size of 28 mm.

The loft measures at about 53 mm.

My curiosity is satisfied.

My skin isn't terribly dry because I've been on top of it with the weather change, but it felt like it would like more shea butter having absorbed last night's application. Right away, shea butter this morning did the trick.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday. Another good shave.

10-23-22.X1.CanadaSS.CH2.TwoBand.640.JPG

Today I reached for a super soft brush. One might not expect the CH2 Silvertip Badger two band to be super soft but it is. It also has plenty of backbone and the full array of desirable qualities. When it arrived I may have been expecting it to feel more like the two band that it is, but, taken on its merits instead of compared with other two bands, it is a very nice brush.

Not a hint of scritch. Not at all sharp feeling at any point in the process. Soft.

AlsoSheaButter.PreshaveGear.640.JPG

Yesterday I took a break from exercise because I needed one. The pool is calling me today. I won't use a scent, but my usual preshave products were used.

The X1 delivered. It sure makes shaving easy!

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Top Bottom