What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I decided against buying further items from China, for various reasons, which stopped for now my endless quest to figure out whether I want to buy one of of their upper end brushes, and, if so, with which knot?

Some of the Oumo brushes are about as expensive as similar sized Simpson, Shavemac, Rudy Vey brushes.

Do you see where this is going? Reading brush reviews, right. Then I ran across a picture which convinced me a brush line I've long admired have knots which are a lot bigger than their nominal size of 26 mm.

SV Resin Translucent.blzrfn.640..jpeg

Follow this link for more.

Found a good deal at Your Shaving.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I decided against buying further items from China, for various reasons, which stopped for now my endless quest to figure out whether I want to buy one of of their upper end brushes, and, if so, with which knot?

Some of the Oumo brushes are about as expensive as similar sized Simpson, Shavemac, Rudy Vey brushes.

Do you see where this is going? Reading brush reviews, right. Then I ran across a picture which convinced me a brush line I've long admired have knots which are a lot bigger than their nominal size of 26 mm.

View attachment 1452456

Follow this link for more.

Found a good deal at Your Shaving.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hello Jim! You will need to provide us with a full report including pictures, once you've received your next brushes, and have had a chance to put them through their paces. I think you've bought enough brushes from China honestly, I've only bought one, you've bought plenty, so I agree, time to move onto to other things. You will let us know like you always do.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hello Jim! You will need to provide us with a full report including pictures, once you've received your next brushes, and have had a chance to put them through their paces.

Will do.

I think you've bought enough brushes from China.

Well, almost.

Oumo.Romano.480.Vendor'sPhoto..png

This brush, an Oumo Romanian Wet Shaving Club Special Edition, was ordered several days ago, before my decision. It seems to be in transit. (It's hard to decipher some communications.)

The rap on it is the colors might be less vibrant than the vendor's photo shows, but most reviews don't mention anything negative.

Exactly what knot I'll get is a question, as is the other question of whether I'll like the knot even if I receive the knot I requested.

Of course that could be said of most brushes and knots with some exceptions.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
All this is lifted from Cal @Cal's post lifted from the SASA thread. It's so good it should be spread around:

Gotta be STEEP. And remember, I'm a lifelong member of the SASA (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance). :wink2:

The reason there's a guard on a safety razor... is because it's a safety razor. Therefore, the guard (safety bar or open comb) should be placed on the skin first to smooth/stretch it in front of the blade. At this point the handle will probably be touching the face. The operator then gently raises the handle till the blade makes contact – BINGO, shave (no [or minimal] pressure).

King Gillette knew a bit about shaving. Here's his instructions (see the 2nd way):

Gillette-Tech-Box-Instructions.jpeg

So many (relatively recent) instructions say place the cap on the face and lower the handle till the blade makes contact. THIS IS WRONG (IMO). Doing this bunches the skin up in front of the blade. It's an ideal system for lopping off any skin irregularities (like old scars, moles, spots, etc). Do you wonder why so many people complain of skin irritation? I don't.

Also, bear in mind that in most razors (including the Lupo) the difference between steep and shallow is only a few measly degrees (with notable exceptions, e.g. the iKon Tek).

NOTE:
I'm one of those "unlucky" people with whiskers that grow out nearly parallel to my skin. Due to that "problem" some steep anglers go "shallow" when they shave ATG. IMO going shallow is never the answer; I simply go a-little-less steep.

Yes, but bear in mind that my handle may be a little closer or further from my face due to the particular razor's head geometry.

Thanks, Cal, and happy shaves,

Jim

All this is lifted from Cal's post from the "Lupo stainless?" thread. It's so good it should be spread around:
Thank you very much Jim... BUT, it would be much better (and make a lot more sense) if the questions it was answering were still included in the post (as in Q,A; Q,A; Q,A [rather than A; A; A]*).
* REFERENCE

Your pedantic friend,
Cal :wink2:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thank you very much Jim... BUT, it would be much better (and make a lot more sense) if the questions it was answering were still included in the post (as in Q,A; Q,A; Q,A [rather than A; A; A]*).
* REFERENCE

Your pedantic friend,
Cal :wink2:

I think you're right, but folks will still figure out the important parts which don't seem to me to be specific to anything but defining what is and what is not steep angle shaving.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday. Another good shave.

5-9-22.Konsul.MysticWaters.Mixed.Weird.640.JPG

I have little experience with the Konsul. Today's settings were 1.5, 5, and fully closed which is setting 0.5.

The blade was the flipped Wizamet SI on its thirteenth outing.

Was the Konsul smoother feeling on #5 than on #1.5? Maybe.

Obviously I'm climbing the Rex Konsul learning curve. In no hurry to accomplish the task!

The butterscotch brush has a quite tall handle which the photo shortens. It's a very very nice brush. Super expensive of course. A mixture of badger and synthetic which works a treat.

Cube.Tube.Mysterium.Large.640.1-22JPG.JPG

4-22.WhiteFusion.PrivateCollectionByLomani.640.JPG

This was definitely my best Konsul shave so far.

Nice scent, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Monday. Another good shave.

View attachment 1452981

I have little experience with the Konsul. Today's settings were 1.5, 5, and fully closed which is setting 0.5.

The blade was the flipped Wizamet SI on its thirteenth outing.

Was the Konsul smoother feeling on #5 than on #1.5? Maybe.

Obviously I'm climbing the Rex Konsul learning curve. In no hurry to accomplish the task!

The butterscotch brush has a quite tall handle which the photo shortens. It's a very very nice brush. Super expensive of course. A mixture of badger and synthetic which works a treat.

This was definitely my best Konsul shave so far.

Nice scent, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

There is a good reason why I thought I was looking at a Rex Ambassador, its because the Rex Konsul looks quite similar don't you think? I am glad to hear that you are improving your shave with it. I love my Rex Ambassador, and you still haven't gotten one of those, I tell ya, what is this world coming to? LMAO!

I am just playing, we know you love that Rex Konsul, glad your enjoying it. My Rex Ambassador has been in a short retirement while I have been playing around and testing my Merkur Futur razor. Its been a rollercoaster let me tell you lol.

And as always, I know, you are enjoying the aftershaves and alum blocks that you use for your daily shaves. Congrats Chan!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
There is a good reason why I thought I was looking at a Rex Ambassador, its because the Rex Konsul looks quite similar don't you think? I am glad to hear that you are improving your shave with it. I love my Rex Ambassador, and you still haven't gotten one of those, I tell ya, what is this world coming to? LMAO!

I am just playing, we know you love that Rex Konsul, glad your enjoying it. My Rex Ambassador has been in a short retirement while I have been playing around and testing my Merkur Futur razor. Its been a rollercoaster let me tell you lol.

And as always, I know, you are enjoying the aftershaves and alum blocks that you use for your daily shaves. Congrats Chan!

Yes the two Rex adjustable look very similar. Personally I think both are handsome but I prefer the handle aesthetics of the Ambassador. (In pictures as I've never actually seen one.)

I'd bet you'd enjoy the Pearl Flexi. Sometimes you can find one discounted. Really good adjustable. Probably the greatest bargain in the modern adjustable world for what you get.
(Since you're into the adjustables!)

I've not used alum blocks in a very long time and never used 'em much. To me, they add nothing, and they also dry my skin which needs no drying. My main use of them has been to increase the grip with a few razors. (Very few razors.)

Recently I'm using only perfumes and not aftershaves. I've not figured out how to combine the scents and am sorta keeping it simple.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was instructive and good.

5-10-22.Sailor.Canada.RV-DO1.640.JPG

Outing #14 for the Wizamet SI, flipped.

Also a new soap, Canada Shaving Soap, which is scentless, simple, and, judging by today's shave, both much like the soaps I usually use and prefer, and very good indeed. One use doesn't tell the tale, but early signs are very good.

It doesn't load as easily as MdC even though the ingredients are very similar I think. If it's drying to my skin that problem's not surfaced yet.

My Sailor settings - 2, 5, and Zero Dot - worked a treat. At all settings this razor is smooth but it's also very present. Exactly what I mean by that is mysterious to even me.

Maybe I'll figure it out and be able to elucidate better what I might mean.

The DO1 two band is much the same. Very present.

Cube.Tube.Mysterium.Large.640.1-22JPG.JPG

4-22.Insurrection.Tobacco&Cognac.640JPG.JPG

The Tobacco part is quite interesting, and also very much present especially early on.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

:laugh: It's good to know you were "present" for your shave, Jim.

So many of our fellow members seem to spend their shaving time "somewhere else." :sad:

I noticed this too Cal. It usually means people are anxious about whats coming up in their day, and their minds are working out how they are going to handle the pending tasks. Unfortunately, this means that their minds are not on what they are doing now, and thats when they get themselves into trouble.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

So many of our fellow members seem to spend their shaving time "somewhere else." :sad:

Not that I've achieved mastery of the art-form but I try to be present meaning to live in the moment. As my friend says, "Every day is a gift. Don't forget to open your presents."

1652209003890.png

I was unaware my brush and razor had any concept of the here and now, but, they are, as any good Buddhist knows, sentient beings, so of course they do.

Returning now to the sound of two hands clapping.

The worst thing about censorship is____.jpeg

Kinda sorta.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

Sometimes I'm "present", and sometimes I am not. In both circumstances, I am right where I need to be. :)

In general, I enjoy my "absent" autopilot shaves, as much as the ones where I am in full awareness.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Not that I've achieved mastery of the art-form but I try to be present meaning to live in the moment. As my friend says, "Every day is a gift. Don't forget to open your presents."

View attachment 1453550

I was unaware my brush and razor had any concept of the here and now, but, they are, as any good Buddhist knows, sentient beings, so of course they do.

Returning now to the sound of two hands clapping.

View attachment 1453553

Kinda sorta.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I thoroughly enjoyed your post... sometimes, ok.. almost always.... it's good to take some time to reflect and absorb the life around us, including our own.

Top Bottom