What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I got up early.

The major construction is only three houses to the left down the beach. It's moved a little closer to us.

I'm beginning to feel the vibration and sound of the machines. This will only get worse as the week goes on. It kept us from sleeping well last night. Beep, beep, beep.

Nothing about place this feels enjoyable or tranquil or serene.

1649169436187.png

We found another house down the beach. Through another realtor. We will get with the credit card company to dispute the charges for the current house, a house which has been about as disagreeable as a beach house could be. (The house itself is fine, even luxurious, but real estate is what? Location, location, location.)

As soon as that contract was signed the current (first) realtor called with options. My guess is the local realtors are all hooked up so they saw we'd rented elsewhere.

We have videos with sound to document the location issues.

All this could easily have been avoided had the first realtor done their job properly.

Most of the vacation has been ruined but at least there will be some not ruined vacation.

Moving will be a hassle, but that's life.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I got up early.

The major construction is only three houses to the left down the beach. It's moved a little closer to us.

I'm beginning to feel the vibration and sound of the machines. This will only get worse as the week goes on. It kept us from sleeping well last night. Beep, beep, beep.

Nothing about place this feels enjoyable or tranquil or serene.

View attachment 1434846

We found another house down the beach. Through another realtor. We will get with the credit card company to dispute the charges for the current house, a house which has been about as disagreeable as a beach house could be. (The house itself is fine, even luxurious, but real estate is what? Location, location, location.)

As soon as that contract was signed the current (first) realtor called with options. My guess is the local realtors are all hooked up so they saw we'd rented elsewhere.

We have videos with sound to document the location issues.

All this could easily have been avoided had the first realtor done their job properly.

Most of the vacation has been ruined but at least there will be some not ruined vacation.

Moving will be a hassle, but that's life.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Buddy, you have no idea how much I feel for you right now! 😢 When you get a chance to do a vacation, for which you only do once a year, you want to spend it with your loved one, share the journey with each other, and do romantic things, and ultimately have fun and make memories. If this situation is not resolved, the only memory your going to have is BEEP BEEP BEEP, VIBRATION IN THE NATION, BEEP BEEP BEEP.

But I have a feeling your going to end up getting this resolved with the other realtor thank goodness. And keep in mind, you also have all of us wonderful people's to keep you company when your feeling a bit flustered with whats going on out there. All be it, I'm amazed how you are keeping connected with us, I am guessing you are using your cell phone with 4G - 5G.

So keep your chin up buddy, I feel things are going to get better soon. 😎

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's early afternoon shave was good, but I didn't take a photograph.

IMG_2811.JPG

This is one from the other day.

Today's kit was unchanged. The settings were 4, 10, 1, and 6. In that order. Kinda sorta ridiculous, but there it is. Even on setting #10 this is a smooth bit of gear. (I didn't try it ATG in sensitive areas, but I did use it S-N on my neck at #10.)

My skin is doing well.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've been to this barrier island many times over the last few decades, but rentals here have become too expensive for me during the summer months. Last summer we went elsewhere, but April prices are manageable albeit still breathtaking. On the other hand, I don't have to maintain the rental house.

4-5-22.Beach.687 OBW.640.JPG

My view yesterday morning.

The view wasn't the worst part.​

What a difference today.

Sunrise.4-6-22.209 OBW.640.JPG

4-6-22.209 OBW.640.JPG

Today will be an at the beach workday for me. My only problem is determining the best spot for me to work with enough comfort and enough quiet and privacy. We have with us folks in a range of ages - 86, 74, 63, 20, 17, 10, 8, and 5 - guess which three make the most noise?

It's interesting to be here in April. Not crowded at all. That means many places are closed including the world's best ice cream store which is a mild bummer, but we'll live. It also mean fast service and no lines or waiting lists at the best restaurant around; that place has picnic tables and paper towels on a kinda sorta enclosed screen porch overlooking the inter-coastal waterway, and really good food. Actually, the food varies, but it's been really great the two times we've visited this trip.

Almost raw (barely seared) tuna the first time, and a very generous portion. Their best selling and alway delicious shrimp burgers the second time. Conch fritters both times. (You either love 'em or you don't.) Excellent homemade potato salad and delicious cucumber salad.

There's a lot to like about a beach trip.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

4-5-22.Beach.687 OBW.640.JPG

Look at them trying to hide! Hey you loaders over there, I can see you! HAHAHAHA 😂

Now that looks tranquil. Love the sun coming up over the horizon in the morning, very nice. Also, that looks like freshly painted railings on that walkway, which looks excellent too. At this time of the year, I am sure those waters are far too cold to take a dip in, so I wouldn't attempt it.

We have with us folks in a range of ages - 86, 74, 63, 20, 17, 10, 8, and 5 - guess which three make the most noise?

Oh thats easy! 5 year old makes a racket like a train just crashed. 8 year old runs around pretending he's Naruto. 10 year old whines and complains over the younger too cause they won't stop being annoying. The 17 year old is on the phone with their friend talking about who they wanna date. And the 20 year old is desperately figuring out what kind of a new job they want to get, cause the old one sucked big time.

The 63 year old is enjoying retirement, and eyeballing all his collected DE razors over the years. The 74 year old is wishing he could regain the last 20-years of his life, while watching All In The Family on TV. The 86 year old wonders how many years he has left, but he always remains quite, doesn't watch much TV, usually spends time in his rocking chair on the porch, looking at the sea.

Yes, I think I really narrowed that down, I did it for fun. lol

shrimp burgers

I've never had a shrimp burger before, but dang that sounds good. Sounds like the best restaurant in town to go eat at. And its good that there weren't a lot of people there. During these rough times were living in, the less people the better I always say. Congrats! Sounds like the second half of your vacation is going to be a good one with better memories.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was excellent. I'd skipped shaving on Thursday.

4-8-22.Taiga.MS-Beehive.SV-FM.640JPG.JPG

Tube&Mysterium.H.Beach.2022.640.JPG
4-8-22.HoldenBeach.LookingEast.640.JPG

4-8-22.BeachBeer.NA.Holden.640.JPG

Taiga setting #5 throughout today's shave.

I'm telling you this is an effective and smooth razor. Much like the Sailor in that I can't find a bad setting.

It's not my favorite super light NA beer but it will do. It was also the only one available yesterday other than one brand, or two, I hate the taste of, and one which I suspected wouldn't be very good. The one local grocery store never has any of my favorites. I'm a happy camper with the Bud Zero so no problem.

The weather this week has been very interesting and highly variable. Yesterday it went from one thing to another other and over at least five or six times. Bright and sunny and warm to totally overcast and chilly to light rain, etc, etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Friday's shave was excellent. I'd skipped shaving on Thursday.

Taiga setting #5 throughout today's shave.

I'm telling you this is an effective and smooth razor. Much like the Sailor in that I can't find a bad setting.

It's not my favorite super light NA beer but it will do. It was also the only one available yesterday other than one brand, or two, I hate the taste of, and one which I suspected wouldn't be very good. The one local grocery store never has any of my favorites. I'm a happy camper with the Bud Zero so no problem.

The weather this week has been very interesting and highly variable. Yesterday it went from one thing to another other and over at least five or six times. Bright and sunny and warm to totally overcast and chilly to light rain, etc, etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Very nice setup on the beach, always my favorites from you. Now, when it comes to beer, the only kind of beer I drink, is Not Your Father's Root Beer, and believe me when I say, it really is not your father's root beer...........Its Better! HAHA Yes sir! 😁

Now regarding the weather, just wait 5-minutes and it will change. Maybe one day humanity will learn to control the weather, bend it at our will. Then the planet will really be screwed then. HAHA :letterk1:

Thanks for the update as always Chan!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Having skipped yesterday's shave I needed to be clean shaven in order to watch the Masters golf tournament on the television set. I'm almost close enough to the golf course to hear the roar of the crowd, but badges for the tournament make the Rocnel Sailor seem easy to obtain and inexpensive.

I loved the golf yesterday and am excited to watch the competition of the final round. The weather is perfect. I just went for a little walk with my wife. It's a glorious afternoon.

For the record, I don't play golf (other than Putt Putt on occasion) and watch almost no other tournaments.

The Augusta National is much more beautiful in person and the course is vastly more hilly and difficult than it looks on the television. The tv makes it look almost flat relative to how it actually is. There isn't an inch of the course where anything is flat. The elevation changes are extreme on many holes.

If I knew how to hit the ball anywhere I wanted it to land I still wouldn't know where to place my shots. There's just about nowhere you can be sure the ball won't roll, other than a sand trap.

4-10-22.Jade.1912.TheFinalCut.640.JPG

Settings today were 3, 6, and 1.

Prior to today I'd used The Final Cut razor only once I think. I'd forgotten everything about it, but I was inspired by Gus @GlazedBoker's recent reports in the April Adjustables thread. Following today's shave I reread my SOTD post, my only previous post on a shave with TFC razor.

My impressions today were much the same as those of the previous TFC shave.

Having had only two shaves with the Yaqi adjustable my impression of the razor is incomplete, but it seems like an efficient razor which isn't smooth enough for me on its lowest setting. That's not saying it's a bad razor because it certainly isn't, but I doubt I'm ever going to like it enough to consider it for Daily Driver status or use it all that much.

Admittedly my standards are very high + my soul patch is very hard to smooth + below my nose my ATG skin is very sensitive.

The blade was the same 'ole Wizamet SI, flipped. For no good reason I picked a 1912 soap and enjoyed it with the Omega Jade boar.

Cube.Tube.Mysterium.640.1.-22.JPG

3-6-22.Controversy.Splash.640.JPG

This was certainly a good enough shave. Close. Reasonably smooth feeling. Comfortable enough. Plenty of folks would love this good looking and quite good razor I think.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday, another very good shave.

4-11-22.RV-2band.MysticWateers.Sailor.640.JPG

Sailor settings today were 2, 8, and the Zero Dot. The blade was my flipped Wizamet SI.

I was a bit pushed for time. Mystic Waters might not be the right soap for such an occasion, but I still made it to the dermatologist appointment with room to spare and had to wait an hour anyhow. Good report. One AK on my forehead was frozen.

CoconutBay.Cube.Tube.Mysterium.640.JPG

I'm just fixing to apply a splash. Didn't want to subject the nice lady dermatologist to my scent in case she wishes she'd been to the beach last week. I wanted to apply my Beach splash myself, but found the bottle at the office to be empty. Coconut Bay Rum will suffice.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave with the Konsul was much like the three previous shaves - 2/18, 2/20, and 2/25 - with the razor.

Settings were 2, 5, and extremely low (below 1).

4-12-22.RV-DO1.CK-6.Konsul.640.JPG

Frankly, I've not decided if I like the Konsul. It delivers a close shave and it's efficient, but it lacks the low end smoothness I need to go ATG under my nose. That's a big demerit.

I'm not finished trying it out, but I have adjustables I like better. Maybe I just need to give it time, and learn it better.

No, I'm not saying you wouldn't love it. In many ways it's a very very good bit of gear.

It's certainly good enough for me to experiment more with.

Today I used a flipped blade and my usual preshave stuff (including, now that I'm back home, shea butter). I used a new splash but forgot to photograph it and have forgotten the name.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday my shave was very nice.

4-13-22.RV-Pure.CK-6.Denali.640.JPG

Denali settings today were 2.5, 6, and 1.

Blade was my again flipped Wizamet SI. Preshave was the usual stuff.

I like this Rudy Vey/Shavemac Pure brush. I like it more than I used to. Why? Maybe it's breaking in?
Do they break in?

TheBeach,Cube,Tube.Mysterium.640JPG.JPG

The Denali is not in the Muramasa, Taiga, Sailor league but it's fairly damn close. A bit too much blade feel even on setting #1 (compared with those razors). Too be very clear, it has almost zero blade feel other than ATG below my nose.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

So wait, its normal for brushes to get some squiggly looking hairs? I see some professional style photo's from folks on B&B, who show their brushes in a dry state of course, but they are perfectly straight hairs, with a perfect looking bulb or fan, and I am like ha? But maybe thats because their brush is brand spanken new, or a higher quality brush all together. You look at my current brush, and its not anything like that!

You can see how squiggly the hairs are on my pure badger brush in this new picture I took. Don't you just love the site of whipped up lather in a bowl? It makes you want to get in your shave den, and have a shave hehe.

proxy.php

I like how you and I enjoy using adustables, its really nice being able to adjust the blade aggression on the fly. I never thought that I would be interested in an adjustable, until I had a chance to try one, now I am hooked lol. With you owning some of the best adjustables on the market, I am still very surprised you don't own a Rex Ambassador yet, you need to get right on that Chan. lol

It calls to you, it says, pick me, you know you want me. HEHE 😁
proxy.php
proxy.php

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So wait, its normal for brushes to get some squiggly looking hairs? I see some professional style photo's from folks on B&B, who show their brushes in a dry state of course, but they are perfectly straight hairs, with a perfect looking bulb or fan, and I am like ha? But maybe thats because their brush is brand spanken new, or a higher quality brush all together. You look at my current brush, and its not anything like that!

You can see how squiggly the hairs are on my pure badger brush in this new picture I took. Don't you just love the site of whipped up lather in a bowl? It makes you want to get in your shave den, and have a shave hehe.

proxy.php

I like how you and I enjoy using adustables, its really nice being able to adjust the blade aggression on the fly. I never thought that I would be interested in an adjustable, until I had a chance to try one, now I am hooked lol. With you owning some of the best adjustables on the market, I am still very surprised you don't own a Rex Ambassador yet, you need to get right on that Chan. lol

It calls to you, it says, pick me, you know you want me. HEHE 😁
proxy.php
proxy.php

From everything I've read the Rex Ambassador doesn't have the low end smoothness I need and require.

The Denali almost has it. The Konsul almost has it. Both are considered milder than the Ambassador. Thus, no need to try the Ambassador. The Pearl Flexi comes even closer, but no cigar compared with the Taiga, Muramasa, and Sailor.

Some gentleman groom their brushes, comb the hairs, and do various things to shape their knots in order to keep them new looking (or for some reason important to them).

1650023736072.png

I'm more of a form follows function guy.

Pet Comb for shaving brushes. 480.png

Which is not to say my super expensive stainless steel brush comb never gets any use. My guess is I use it almost every year.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday delivered another really good shave.

4-15-22.DSC.Butterscotch.CK-6.Muramasa.640.JPG

My usual settings with the Muramasa are 2.5, fully open, and fully closed. That's what I used today.

Flipped Wizamet SI blade. Usual kit. Same brush as yesterday.

Cube.Tube.Mysterium.Large.640.1-22JPG.JPG

Also shea butter last night.

4-15-22.Kiritmati.splash.640.JPG

A new to me splash. I think it's seasonal and unavailable now but I have some.

The Muramasa is a terrific Daily Driver razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've been to this barrier island many times over the last few decades, but rentals here have become too expensive for me during the summer months. Last summer we went elsewhere, but April prices are manageable albeit still breathtaking. On the other hand, I don't have to maintain the rental house.

View attachment 1435240

The view wasn't the worst part.​

What a difference today.

Today will be an at the beach workday for me. My only problem is determining the best spot for me to work with enough comfort and enough quiet and privacy. We have with us folks in a range of ages - 86, 74, 63, 20, 17, 10, 8, and 5 - guess which three make the most noise?

It's interesting to be here in April. Not crowded at all. That means many places are closed including the world's best ice cream store which is a mild bummer, but we'll live. It also mean fast service and no lines or waiting lists at the best restaurant around; that place has picnic tables and paper towels on a kinda sorta enclosed screen porch overlooking the inter-coastal waterway, and really good food. Actually, the food varies, but it's been really great the two times we've visited this trip.

Almost raw (barely seared) tuna the first time, and a very generous portion. Their best selling and alway delicious shrimp burgers the second time. Conch fritters both times. (You either love 'em or you don't.) Excellent homemade potato salad and delicious cucumber salad.

There's a lot to like about a beach trip.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I was glad to hear you enjoyed the tail end of your vacation.... I know you didn't say... but now that you're home (I think), you might not mind mentioning where you were. I'm guessing, in my mind... the Outer Banks of NC? Or one of the barrier islands off the Georgia coast..... ?

Anyway, I hope everything gets worked out with the credit card company so you won't be punished for the rental company's botching of their job.

Top Bottom