What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A question for the brain trust that follows this thread: how does one start winnowing down their shave den? Especially if that person has some more rare razors that they do occasionally enjoy but haven’t fully mastered shaving with her? And who also likes collecting things? Asking for a friend (cough cough) with a large injector collection from E through type O clone only skipping a handful throughout that isn’t using them right now…

I'd say just let your wife do it.
1632832629254.png

Both of the above are jokes.

One might be funny.

The real answer is I have no idea because of a lack of experience + I have a question & this is a serious question.

Why?

Why do you want to thin the herd? The razors don't take up a lot of space. You aren't likely to fund a new car by selling them? You still like 'em. You're not hurting anyone by owning and caring for them and protecting them from the landfill.

I'd start by figuring out why you want to get rid of them. In case you already have, I have no idea how to proceed. Someone else might, but I doubt it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My skin is healing but not 100% yet.

9-28-21.Puffed.Skin.Sploches.640.JPG

9-28-21.PuffedSkin.640.JPG

The images above show the areas all puffed up. I noticed a little bit of stuff right near the corner of my mouth which looked like it might wash off. I washed it off as best I could and took the pictures below.

9-28-21.PostWas.skin.640.JPG

9-28-21.PostWashSkin.640JPG.JPG

Maybe I should take a shower?

I'm not sure what these photos really show. They seem to show that my skin is a bit blotchy; in real life and real light it's not particularly blotchy at all. I can certainly tell the areas I've been concerned with are a lot better. In spite of much improvement, they're not 100% yet.

I will try to avoid them and/or go over them very very lightly with the razor. The and/or depends on whether there are any whiskers to shave. Some of the "areas" have no whiskers at all so why go there. Others have whiskers but are very close to healed so maybe a very light pass might suffice.

Obviously I'm fumbling about with this. I do have to be nicely shaved today (for work) but I do not want to exacerbate any issues with my skin.

Happy shaves,

Jim

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
how does one start winnowing down their shave den?

Since I’m looking for a RazoRock Lupo I don’t need, I’ll defer to the pros and their methods:

and

and

and the quintessential

So I took Treesa for a test drive today. First observation: I LOVE her voice i.e. audible feedback. This is very important to me -- a woman can be absolutely gorgeous but if I don't like her voice it's game over ;) Secondly, while it's early on this is the best shave I've ever achieved on first use of a razor. So thinking it can only get better with time. While my trouble spots are not perfect she dealt with them very, very well. I think she's a keeper, thanks again Jim for yet another fantastic recommendation.

Happy shaves all!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So I took Treesa for a test drive today. First observation: I LOVE her voice i.e. audible feedback. This is very important to me -- a woman can be absolutely gorgeous but if I don't like her voice it's game over ;) Secondly, while it's early on this is the best shave I've ever achieved on first use of a razor. So thinking it can only get better with time. While my trouble spots are not perfect she dealt with them very, very well. I think she's a keeper, thanks again Jim for yet another fantastic recommendation.

Happy shaves all!

Lovely report. I'm so happy for you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
More photos...

9-28-21.AfterShower.640.JPG
9-28-21.AfterShower2.640.JPG
9-28-21.AfterShower3.640.JPG

Above photos are after my shower and before my shave.

Below are photos about 3.5 hours after my shave.

9-28-21.PostShave.Normal.640JPG.JPG
9-28-21.AfterShower3.640.JPG
9-28-21.PostShave.Work.640JPG.JPG

This shows the distinct areas, all three of them.​

I'm not at all sure these photos are illustrative of anything much useful to anyone but me.

My Tuesday shave was good I think.

9-28-21.Wolf.1.15.Shavemac.Vitos.640.JPG

No changes to my kit from yesterday other than a flipped blade and a different brush.

I don't see any signs that I damaged my skin. I was very careful.

My skin is definitely on the mend.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
A question for the brain trust that follows this thread: how does one start winnowing down their shave den? Especially if that person has some more rare razors that they do occasionally enjoy but haven’t fully mastered shaving with her? And who also likes collecting things? Asking for a friend (cough cough) with a large injector collection from E through type O clone only skipping a handful throughout that isn’t using them right now…

Keep everything for your heirs to sort out. It's revenge on the kids for their teenage years. ;) 🤣

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

Here's how I interpreted that question... "How does one go about doing something, they have no intention of doing?"

Resolve the conflict. Why is the question being asked? Which the bigger cost, culling, or not culling? Then look at each razor in turn, and decide whether keeping/discarding it, makes the scenario better or worse.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A question for the brain trust that follows this thread: how does one start winnowing down their shave den?

With razors I set them all out on the shelf in a neat line. The ones I used most often lead that line. Every time one got pushed to the end of the line it got put away. I didnt that until I had one DE left, my Grande. Then I added my GEMS and both are still on the shelf with my Grande. Sometimes though I feel like using my Slim, or New SC or Regent or whatever so they get a turn until they get bumped off the shelf and back into my armoire again.

I did the same thing with my soaps and creams, I have three stacks of soaps/creams. Top performers closest to hand. I have all 3 CRS creams and what remains of Southern Witchcrafts under them in the first stack. CRS is my most used and the scents get rotated as my mood dictates. The Southern Witchcrafts I've almost forgotten about. Second stack has both SV's on top, Wickham Shangri La, Club Cola and Parma Violet with P&B Iceni under them. Third stack is Vitos, Cella Bio, Captains Choice 45th and Arko. My second and third stacks all have the most used on the top. My third stack is the longest reach and get used less often than the previous two stacks.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
New brass Hone 15 razor from the BST. All cleaned and polished.

9=28-21.HONE.brass.640.JPG

9-28-21.HONE.brass.handle.640.JPG

This sucker weighs 184.9 grams on my kitchen scales. Holy cow!

I've not shaved with it yet of course as it arrived today, but it looks interesting. I've read that it is efficient but also has "least blade feel." (There is a thread on that subject on another forum; I've forgotten which one.) According to me, the handle is too long. That does not mean it will seem too long when I shave with it, but I suspect it will.

I've read that the Hone 15 was available with handles in two different lengths. Of course, this could be the short handle. I have no idea.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
New brass Hone 15 razor from the BST. All cleaned and polished.

This sucker weighs 184.9 grams on my kitchen scales. Holy cow!

I've not shaved with it yet of course as it arrived today, but it looks interesting. I've read that it is efficient but also has "least blade feel." (There is a thread on that subject on another forum; I've forgotten which one.) According to me, the handle is too long. That does not mean it will seem too long when I shave with it, but I suspect it will.

I've read that the Hone 15 was available with handles in two different lengths. Of course, this could be the short handle. I have no idea.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Nice razor! 😍

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Glad to hear it, hopefully giving it a break solves the problem.

It's in pretty good shave today. Particularly better as compared with a week or so ago.

It's likely I will avoid shaving (or at least stay way clear of the "areas") on Saturday and Sunday.

It's been a learning experience. I believe my touch (pressure) is lighter now.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was good.

9-30-21.Hone.Z-Man.Vitos.640.JPG

Today was my first shave with this pole vault of a razor. It made a very good first impression.

The handle is, according to me, way way way too long.

The razor weighs 184.9 grams on my kitchen scales. That's beyond a tank.

In spite of all of the above, the shave was surprisingly great on first impressions.

On first impressions, I'd say several things about the razor.
  • It was surprisingly efficient.
  • There was no blade feel that I noticed not that I was looking for it.
  • The razor is amazingly smooth feeling.
  • I'd call it a very mild feeling razor.
  • I enjoyed the shave and wasn't bothered by the weight.
Obviously first impressions are not a razor review!

The gap is pretty large.

Hone Razor Specs.9-30-21.640.png

The blade exposure is said to be 0 mm. (In the above it looks negative.)

In the above the handle length is 92.5. Going by the same way of measuring the handle, my handle is 100 mm.

[For some reason this post got messed up. I think it's a problems with the server or program, maybe, but I'm going to leave it alone.]

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Here's how I interpreted that question... "How does one go about doing something, they have no intention of doing?"

Resolve the conflict. Why is the question being asked? Which the bigger cost, culling, or not culling? Then look at each razor in turn, and decide whether keeping/discarding it, makes the scenario better or worse.

Actually I have no idea how anyone else should deal with this sort of issue.

Sometimes I think of it this way.
  • Keep tools. (So you don't have have to buy the same tool next time you need it.)
  • Keep things of true value to you. (Monetary value, sentimental value, aesthetic value...all of which are somewhat subjective and relative.)
  • Keep things you know you love or need.
  • The rest can go, but doesn't have to unless it gets in your way, causes you problems, or such.
  • For collectors - of stocks and razors - buy low and sell high.
One of these might be a kinda sorta joke.

Obviously if we have a spouse the rules might be dictated. My wife's junk is much more important than my valuable tools. (At least that's what I have been led to believe.)

I'm not actually a collector of razors (in spite of appearances) but I do enjoy the experimental aspects of the hobby. Also I'm seeking the PUHG of razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thursday's shave was good.

View attachment 1337239

Today was my first shave with this pole vault of a razor. It made a very good first impression.

The handle is, according to me, way way way too long.

The razor weighs 184.9 grams on my kitchen scales. That's beyond a tank.

In spite of all of the above, the shave was surprisingly great on first impressions.

On first impressions, I'd say several things about the razor.
  • It was surprisingly efficient.
  • There was no blade feel that I noticed not that I was looking for it.
  • The razor is amazingly smooth feeling.
  • I'd call it a very mild feeling razor.
  • I enjoyed the shave and wasn't bothered by the weight.
Obviously first impressions are not a razor review!

The gap is pretty large.

View attachment 1337252

The blade exposure is said to be 0 mm. (In the above it looks negative.)

In the above the handle length is 92.5. Going by the same way of measuring the handle, my handle is 100 mm.

[For some reason this post got messed up. I think it's a problems with the server or program, maybe, but I'm going to leave it alone.]

Happy shaves,

Jim

Pole vault, great term, love it! I'm curious, what is the function of the cog?
Cheers!

Top Bottom