Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That IS absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you very much.

It's been renamed.

It's not my design at all, but it reminds me of an old muscle care I liked.​
German 37 GTO (meme).jpg

I've discontinued trialling the Beast on a daily basis. So, today I used my most fool proof
razor, the Henson AL13, in hopes it would give my skin a break. Did it? Well, yes and no. Much less irritation, still a plenty smooth shave, however I did draw blood yet again. So, I'm thinking it's a combination of technique needing improvement and something wonky with my skin. Which seems to leave the question of the R41 as a daily driver as inconclusive.

Cheers all.

I'll be using the SS R41 GS on occasion when it arrives, assuming I like it as much as the regular R41. (It is taking its sweet time to get here.)

As I recall the R41 has in the past suited me much better than it seems to suit some gentlemen. Steep of course. Light touch too. I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert with the razor; it just suits me enough that I decided to spring for the GS.

The main thing I'd say about it is it improves with practice and some climbing of the learning curve. That doesn't mean I'm saying it's my favorite or best razor.

The R41 might not suit your skin and/or whiskers. Or, maybe set it aside for a few months and try it again.

1631663505765.png

My apologies, Cal.​

Answer 4
Great handle it is. — I bet it is, but it ain't a GT. The GT is completely hollow, has very specific dimensions (length/diameter) and other attributes. Here's ⬆ a pic ⬆ of a typical GT (custom threaded for a Fatip head).

Happy shaves,

Jim

The R41 might not suit your skin and/or whiskers. Or, maybe set it aside for a few months and try it again.

I concur; that's good advice thanks. What I have tentatively decided is getting it in the rose gold handle as it's a third of the cost of the stainless. That'll mean I have two Beast zamac heads which should hold me quite awhile. Also, if I really must make a more substantial purchase I am lusting after the R95 Rocca!!

Must be something different in my coffee today -- I seem to have been bitten by a logic virus ;)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I concur; that's good advice thanks. What I have tentatively decided is getting it in the rose gold handle as it's a third of the cost of the stainless. That'll mean I have two Beast zamac heads which should hold me quite awhile. Also, if I really must make a more substantial purchase I am lusting after the R95 Rocca!!

Must be something different in my coffee today -- I seem to have been bitten by a logic virus ;)

It is the coffee!

The Rocca is a very good razor. I recommend it. (Especially if you're drawn to it.)

I've posted a few times about my experiences with the razor and its shave.

Really great handle but I wish it were shorter.
(Not that it's a problem.)​
7-15-21.R95.CH2-Best.Vitos.640.JPG

It is said to be a "bit less" efficient and/or "less aggressive" than the R41, and probably is, not that I think of the R41 as aggressive.

R41.2.Chrome.RoseGold.640.7-18.JPG

The Rose Gold R41 is a definitely an upgrade. (Over the chrome). In my (highly biased subjective) opinion it shaves better, the handle does, with either of my R41 heads. It will be interesting to try the RG on my new SS R41, assuming it ever arrives.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've heard some describe the Rocca as midway between the R41 and R89 for whatever that's worth.
There is a vendor up here in the Great White North who sells the RG for a quite reasonable price. Same fellow is the only vendor I know of who sells the Phoenix Artisan stuff in Canada. Super nice guy, he always throws in a card with historic shaving images like the patent diagrams for the King Gillette etc. And candy, which I need like another hole in my head ;)

I'm guessing you ordered the SS from Shaving.Ie? I've found their orders alternate between very quickly and slow. Hope it arrives soon.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've heard some describe the Rocca as midway between the R41 and R89 for whatever that's worth.
There is a vendor up here in the Great White North who sells the RG for a quite reasonable price. Same fellow is the only vendor I know of who sells the Phoenix Artisan stuff in Canada. Super nice guy, he always throws in a card with historic shaving images like the patent diagrams for the King Gillette etc. And candy, which I need like another hole in my head ;)

I'm guessing you ordered the SS from Shaving.Ie? I've found their orders alternate between very quickly and slow. Hope it arrives soon.
Get the R95 v4 and be happy. ;)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
What does it mean to ride blackbird steep? Is it handle closer to the face or is it more like riding the cap?

Steep Angle = Handle more parallel to my face, riding the guard/comb.

Shallow Angle = Handle more perpendicular to my face, riding the cap.

Neutral Angle = Approximately midway between Steep and Shallow, approximately riding the cap and guard/comb simultaneously.

My general preference is for razors that I can use a Steep Angle.

Hope this helps. :)

Steep Angle = Handle more parallel to my face, riding the guard/comb.

Shallow Angle = Handle more perpendicular to my face, riding the cap.

Neutral Angle = Approximately midway between Steep and Shallow, approximately riding the cap and guard/comb simultaneously.

My general preference is for razors that I can use a Steep Angle.

Hope this helps. :)
Thank you sir for the explanation. follow up up question would be let’s say blackbird razor. When you shave with the grain from top to bottom you use a steep angle and it feels comfortable. But when reverse directions and you go from bottom up against the grain and you keep the razor in the same steep angle it sorta feels like you’re scraping your skin.

Top Bottom