What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interesting shave this Sunday morning with my simulated Wolfman 1.35.

7-18-21.CH3.Manchurian.Wolfman.WR2.1.15with2Shims.640.JPG

Today's kit was 100% the same as yesterday's with one exception. Two Feather shims were added in an effort to simulate the 1.35.

There was definite blade feel throughout the shave, but it was of issue only in a few places.
  • Going ATG on my upper lip the blade feel was impressive. There is with my 1.15 (without shims) some ATG blade feel on my upper lip, but with two shims the blade feel was more than I like.
  • On my chin and soul patch the blade feel was also a bit much (more than I like for sure) and more so ATG.
Otherwise the simulated 1.35 was at least okay. Yes, it was not as smooth feeling as the 1.15, but it was certainly decently smooth and tolerable except as already noted.

I do not know that I'd enjoy the 1.35 as a Daily Driver. Kinda think I wouldn't.

Worse, my shave, while very good in many places, was less good in spots. I believe to the degree it was relatively rough feeling and to the degree there was a lot of blade feel it discouraged enough work to ensure a shave as close overall as my previous shaves (two) with the unmodified 1.15.

I'm writing this immediately after shaving and cleaning up the shave den and applying HA, splash, and moisturizer. At the moment I notice no signs of irritation or discomfort. There was no blood.

Yummy scent.​
12-20.ClasicoBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Interesting experiment today.

Will I repeat it? Maybe. Maybe not. Tomorrow I will use one shim to simulate the 1.25 unless I change my mind.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
⬇ Interesting tips on shaving under the nose

I hear you about shaving heads and getting up under the nose (my growth is very close to the nose, and to my lips and corners of the mouth judging by other people's shaving videos/reviews). I had the same problem for a long time. My solution was to pull up rather firmly on the nose (each nostril, actually), but that was not enough by itself. Then I essentially take the razor with the handle almost parallel to the face (close to my lips), top cap touching the nose. Then I 'scrape' down and 'roll' the razor head (lifting the handle up, the razor scrapes as it moves since it's against the nose) more than shave until I can get to the right angle. I hope that makes sense.

With the WR2 liking a more ride-the-bar/handle-more-parallel-to-face approach, it shaves that area very well for me. I don't find the WR2 any more difficult than a slimmer head like the Karve, for example.

I'm not 100% sure I entirely understand the post, but I'm generally one to have to put some things into play and then read again trying to figure it all out.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday. Another experimental shave. Simulated 1.25.

7-19-21.WR2.1.15(one shim).CopMan.Vitos.640.JPG

One shim to simulate the 1.25. Better.

It seemed like a pretty lousy shave immediately post shave (lousy by my very high standards; certainly not uncomfortable except ATG), but when the hysteresis effect kicked in it turned into a very good shave.

12-20.the.Beach.Hyaluronic.Acid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Back to the unmodified 1.15 tomorrow.

Happy shaves,

Jim

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It seemed like a pretty lousy shave immediately post shave (lousy by my very high standards; certainly not uncomfortable except ATG), but when the hysteresis effect kicked in it turned into a very good shave.

Is it possible your shims are too narrow to provide proper baseplate support? Comfortable until ATG is what I experience going steep with an R41.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
In the context of emulating a particular WR2 baseplate, a perfect shim would extend to the very edge of the plate after the cap is tightened over the blade and shim without bend or burr.

In the context of emulating a particular WR2 baseplate, a perfect shim would extend to the very edge of the plate after the cap is tightened over the blade and shim without bend or burr.
I'll check out my shims.
Thom's reply is 100% correct for your particular purposes, Jim. That would mean a shim width of ~19mm.

The ≥20mm width is best for "general purposes," in particular where extra blade support is desired. My apologies to Thom. :blushing:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm pretty sure my shims are "right." I didn't make them though. I'll check them out (using the information above).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm pretty sure my shims are "right." I didn't make them though. I'll check them out (using the information above).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I agree with the others. As wide as possible, removing only the bevel, on full width baseplates, and matched to the width of the baseplate where the support area is narrower than a "full width" shim. Essentially, mimicking the support that would be offered, if the baseplate was produced to give a greater gap. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not that I use shims, as I'm fundamentally against the concept for normal use. However, for a project such as yours, where the aim is to identify the right item so shims aren't needed, dabbling around with shims for a while beforehand, makes perfect sense.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I think this is the very definition of the perfect shim for my purposes.

Exactly how to achieve it is another matter but perhaps the shims I already have are exactly right; I'm in no rush to closely examine them as I won't use shims again for a while & and I want to examine them when I have time to do the examination very carefully.

I agree with the others. As wide as possible, removing only the bevel, on full width baseplates, and matched to the width of the baseplate where the support area is narrower than a "full width" shim.

Al @AimlessWanderer, I don't understand what you mean by "where the support area is narrower than a "full width" shim."

What's a full width shim? How does it differ from what we're talking about here?

I know nothing about shims having previous maybe made one and used it once. The shims I'm currently using were made by the razor's previous owner who used them the same way I'm using them and for the same purpose (which is how I ended up with his razor).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday my shave was good.

Wolfman WR2 1.15

Wizamet SI
(flipped again)

Cube 2.0
(shower & preshave)​

7-20-21..Wolfman.1.15.RV-Man.Vitos.640.JPG

I like the Wolfman.

Boy, does this razor require a very steep angle, or what! As a long time steep angle shaver I'm having to go even steeper with the Wolfman (which is okay with me), but there's a learning curve.

I'm improving using the 1.15 on my soul patch. Even there, on the soul patch, the Wolfman's angle has to be super steep (unlike with my other razors in that area).

12-20.CrownKingBayRum.AA.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640.JPG

Yummy!​

Today's brush's, as I recall, a Rudy Vey Manchurian knot. It's a smaller knot than I prefer, but an excellent brush anyway. The handle has excellent ergonomics and is a pleasure to use.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Al @AimlessWanderer, I don't understand what you mean by "where the support area is narrower than a "full width" shim."

What's a full width shim? How does it differ from what we're talking about here?

I can't offer pics today Jim, as the vision is a bit erratic at the moment. I'll try to paint it with words though...

If you imagine cutting off just the bevels from a blade, and no more, that would be the maximum width you could make a shim. This would be the best shim width replicate the support on something like a Fatip Grande, where the full unbevelled width of the blade is normally sat flush on the baseplate. Using a narrower shim, would potentially offer less support, and not be a true representation of what the baseplate would be, if produced to offer a different gap.

Conversely, picture a blade on a Jagger/Muhle/Merkur baseplate. The blade overhangs the support "rails" somewhat. If you used a shim that was wider than the rails, it would potentially offer more support than would be offered by taller rails. Again, not giving a true represantation of what a baseplate produced to give a higher gap would shave like. On this razor, the shim would have to be cut narrower, in order to best mimic the rail support span.

I hope that makes a bit more sense.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I can't offer pics today Jim, as the vision is a bit erratic at the moment. I'll try to paint it with words though...

If you imagine cutting off just the bevels from a blade, and no more, that would be the maximum width you could make a shim. This would be the best shim width replicate the support on something like a Fatip Grande, where the full unbevelled width of the blade is normally sat flush on the baseplate. Using a narrower shim, would potentially offer less support, and not be a true representation of what the baseplate would be, if produced to offer a different gap.

Conversely, picture a blade on a Jagger/Muhle/Merkur baseplate. The blade overhangs the support "rails" somewhat. If you used a shim that was wider than the rails, it would potentially offer more support than would be offered by taller rails. Again, not giving a true represantation of what a baseplate produced to give a higher gap would shave like. On this razor, the shim would have to be cut narrower, in order to best mimic the rail support span.

I hope that makes a bit more sense.

Thanks, Al.

I'm going to have to spend some time on it later when I have the time to really dig into what you said.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday my shave was good.

7-21-21.Wolfman.1.15.MS-3Band.Vitos.640.JPG

Used the Wolf 1.15. Very steep. Pretty good shave. Just climbing the learning curve. Very smooth. No bites. No blood. Pretty efficient but not knocking my socks off efficient.

Flipped Wizamet SI. The Cube 2.0 as preshave and as face soap in the shower.

HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.DiverDown.640.6-26-21.JPG

I like this scent. It's different than my usuals. Glad I bought it.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Top Bottom