What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Thursday began a new experiment. First shave with the Timeless Ti Slim SB which arrived yesterday

⬆ Timeless Ti Slim SB ⬆ loaded with a Wizamet SI (flipped, not a new blade). Good shave. Smooth feeling on my skin. No blood. Very little blade feel if any.

Certainly this is a pretty efficient razor. Is it efficient enough for me to love and see as "The One?" I have no idea yet, but considering that it is smooth feeing and pretty efficient it would be hard for me to dislike or not persist with.

This Ti Slim SB does not feel "aggressive" to me. Not at all.

Ugh. I returned it once and this makes me want to try it again.

Why'd you return it?

Asking for a friend.

I just couldn't get a close shave with it. I didn't find it very efficient and it seemed to leave a lot behind, especially in some difficult to reach areas under my neck. Given the price tag, I didn't want to have another expensive razor piece in my "collection" that I probably wouldn't use. In the past I would keep something like that and revisit it later.

OTOH, others seem to do very well with the Slim so I may never have found the correct angle.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just couldn't get a close shave with it. I didn't find it very efficient and it seemed to leave a lot behind, especially in some difficult to reach areas under my neck. Given the price tag, I didn't want to have another expensive razor piece in my "collection" that I probably wouldn't use. In the past I would keep something like that and revisit it later.

OTOH, others seem to do very well with the Slim so I may never have found the correct angle.

Thanks.

I've yet to find a razor which consistently delivers a BBS on my neck without also damaging my skin and causing discomfort. Like most of us I've tried a lot of razors.

I'm also not really chasing BBS, but have fairly high standards about what constitutes a good enough. The area I use to judge the efficiency and effectiveness of a razor is my soul patch area, primarily.

I'm trying out the Timeless Ti Slim SB now. So far I like it (two shaves), but I'm not getting a neck BBS.

Good luck on your quest and happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday I used the exact same basic kit as yesterday.

The Wizamet SI blade was flipped.​
6-17-21.TimelessSlim.Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG

Mostly I was in a hurry and just grabbed the same kit. Fortunately it's good gear.

12-20.CoconutBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640.JPG

Lovely scent.​

This morning I made an effort to smooth the soul patch area (as usual I made an effort). Once the hysteresis effect kicked in my evaluation suggests I was pretty successful. In other words, I'm thinking this might be an effective razor for me.

Two days is obviously not an adequate trial, but first impressions of the Timeless Ti Slim SB are favorable.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Friday I used the exact same basic kit as yesterday.

The Wizamet SI blade was flipped.​
View attachment 1283429

Mostly I was in a hurry and just grabbed the same kit. Fortunately it's good gear.

View attachment 1283431
Lovely scent.​

This morning I made an effort to smooth the soul patch area (as usual I made an effort). Once the hysteresis effect kicked in my evaluation suggests I was pretty successful. In other words, I'm thinking this might be an effective razor for me.

Two days is obviously not an adequate trial, but first impressions of the Timeless Ti Slim SB are favorable.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Nice initial impressions. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave continued the experiment. You might want to skip this enabling, RAD exacerbating post. This means you!

6-19-21.MuhleRoccaR96.RV2band.Vitos.640.JPG

What's this? Why, it's the Mühle Rocca R95. Not a terribly well known razor I think.

1624119036235.png

It would never have been a razor I'd have considered without this post by the gentleman who resides @guitarslinger, a post which caused me to read everything I could find about the razor.

Thanks for the tip, sir.

Even so I was afraid the blade wasn't rigidly clamped. Truthfully the jury is still out on that issue, but read on.

You may know Big Nurse has instructed me to look for a razor to knock the FOCS off its pedestal. I'm sure she has her reasons.

BOSC.2.For Science.jpg

I have mine.

The voices tell me to say I want even more efficiency than the efficient FOCS delivers without giving up anything at all in terms of the Damn Comfortable Shave the FOCS so easily and effortlessly delivers. Towards that end I've been eaten alive with RAD.

Two things were immediately apparent using the R95.
  1. This is a very efficient razor, by any standard.
  2. This is a very smooth feeling razor by any standard
Discussion and clarification:
  • It is definitely more efficient than almost every razor I've used. A lot more efficient than the Timeless Ti Slim SB and the Lupo 95 and the Timeless Bronze 78 OC and the FOCS. I mean to say its efficiency just flat out jumped out and got in my face the way the efficiency of the iKon Tech might. We're talking first pass Dolphin Skin Territory here or close to it.
  • The word that comes to mind here is "mild." It's easy to use. It didn't seem at all scary. I had no weepers, no nicks, no cuts, not a smidgeon of blood. Nothing to complain about. Zip. Nada. It's in the same territory of smoothness as the Timeless Ti 95 OC and the FOCS and maybe even the SLOC. It feels smooth like the Wunderbar, but, unlike the WB, it didn't feel like it was going to bite.
  • I was not very careful and didn't feel like I need to be.

1624118012869.png

Absolutely!

You and I know one shave is not a review, but, boy, I am impressed.​

Big Nurse said to tell you you need one of these babies.
If you don't know, there have been several iterations of the Mühle Rocca. This one is the latest. I think it's referred to sometimes as the V4. It is the CNC version. Anyone thinking of buying the razor should do some homework to make sure of buying the right Rocca.

The "same" head is sold in three versions having to do with finish (SS or SS with DLC) and handle choice. I picked the birch handle because it looks cool and because the reviews of it and the stuff I read about it convinced me.

In my opinion the handle is entirely too long. However, it disappears in use which is the main thing a handle should do, and the razor seems perfectly balanced in use. The birch is lovely in look and feel. The handle is fat enough for anybody, certainly for me, but it doesn't feel too fat at all. The birch is as grippy as grippy can possibly be. It's not even on the road to the ballpark where slippery plays. The birch is also supposed to hold up extremely well with the possible exception of circumstances I'm unlike to subject the handle to according to what I've read in this post and the thread containing it.

The birch handle feels soft and warm. So does the razor in use. Aggressive is not a word I'd use to describe it. Not at all.

The shave does not feel hot as in oh my goodness I'm getting razor burn. Not at all. Yes, there is a little blade feel but it's not what I experience as objectionable or scary or concerning blade feel. More like a tickle (used with skill by experienced hands, mine, at a steep angle, with the proper amount of pressure which is to say none). Day after day? I have no idea.

Post shave I noticed nothing amiss. Now - about twenty minutes or so after the shave - my skin feels just fine (and I have sensitive, easily irritated, easily damaged skin coupled with a not too very heavy "average" beard, but super wiry old many tungsten carbide whiskers especially in the soul patch area).

proxy.php

Did it do a perfect job of my soul patch? No, it didn't, but it was better than most razors with not much work. Once the hysteresis effect kicked in the soul patch area is damn smooth (not 100% perfect). My neck is way smoother than I can achieve with most razors. Usually, unless I way overdo things, I can't get my neck this close to smooth. No, it's not Dolphin Skin, but my overall shave is in that territory in places it usually isn't (such as my upper lip).

I want to be careful and not imply this razor is perfect. That might not be not the case, and I am not in a position yet to know either way, but it was an impression audition.

To be fair to the razor, this is my first shave with it, so I'm at the bottom of its learning curve. It is a definite contender. I'm not planning to abandon any razors just yet, but this one will be fully tested before a good many others see any more action. It's that good.

It remains to be seen if my skin will feel inflamed or irritated or itchy as the day goes by, but there are no early signs of any of that stuff.

I used a not new but flipped Wizamet SI blade. I only use Wizamet SI and Polsilver SI blades. As always it seemed just right.

Recently I've been trying the Equate Noxzema knock off as a preshave. I used it today. I think it helps. Maybe I'll leave it off tomorrow (for science).

1624118133298.png

It's too soon to know if this razor is "The One," but it might be. We'll see. Still, it is a very impressive razor. Not sexy looking. Not fancy looking. Utilitarian. Looks like a very high quality tool and not jewelry. Functional in appearance, and, well, highly functional in use.

I read a review where David @never-stop-learning used one of the Mühle Rocca razors, probably a V4. I think I like the razor a good bit more than David did as I don't find that he's used it a lot more since then and I doubt I could have stopped myself. Perhaps I'll find its too aggressive or that I get delayed razor burn or something like that, but, so far - after just one shave with it mind you - it's a very well balanced, safe and not scary, efficient and smooth shaving mild feeling razor.

Is it a Daily Driver for me? I have no idea. Even if it's not, it's a keeper.

12-20.ClasicoBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Yummy scent.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Saturday's shave continued the experiment. You might want to skip this enabling, RAD exacerbating post. This means you!

View attachment 1283977

You should start a thread and repost this. I’m glad you like it. Such a great razor.

What's this? Why, it's the Mühle Rocca R95. Not a terribly well known razor I think.

View attachment 1284008

It would never have been a razor I'd have considered without this post by the gentleman who resides @guitarslinger, a post which caused me to read everything I could find about the razor.

Thanks for the tip, sir.

Even so I was afraid the blade wasn't rigidly clamped. Truthfully the jury is still out on that issue, but read on.

You may know I've been looking for a razor to knock the FOCS off its pedestal.

Mostly that means I want even more efficiency than the efficient FOCS delivers without giving up anything at all in terms of the Damn Comfortable Shave the FOCS so easily and effortlessly delivers. Towards that end I've been eaten alive with RAD.

Two things were immediately apparent using the R95.
  • This is a very efficient razor. It is definitely more efficient than almost every razor I've used. A lot more efficient than the Timeless Ti Slim SB and the Lupo 95 and the Timeless Bronze 78 OC. I mean to say its efficiency just flat out jumped out and got in my face the way the efficiency of the iKon Tech might. We're talking first pass Dolphin Skin Territory here or close to it.
  • This is a very smooth feeling razor. The word that comes to mind here is "mild." It's easy to use. It didn't seem at all scary. I had no weepers, no nicks, no cuts, not a smidgeon of blood

View attachment 1284000

Absolutely!

You and I know one shave is not a review, but, boy, I am impressed.​
If you don't know, there have been several iterations of the Mühle Rocca. This one is the latest. I think it's referred to sometimes as the V4. It is the CNC version. Anyone thinking of buying the razor should do some homework to make sure of buying the right Rocca.

The "same" head is sold in three versions having to do with finish (SS or SS with DLC) and handle choice. I picked the birch handle because it looks cool and because the reviews of it and the stuff I read about it convinced me.

The handle is in my opinion which is entirely subjective too long. However, it disappears in use which is the main thing in my opinion a handle should do, and it seems perfectly balanced with the head. The birch is perfect. The handle is fat enough for anybody I think and certainly for me, but it doesn't feel too fat at all. The birch is as grippy as grippy can possibly be. It's not even on the road to the ballpark where slippery plays. The birch is also supposed to hold up extremely well with the possible exception of circumstances I'm unlike to subject the handle to according to what I've read in this post and the thread containing it.

The birch handle feels soft and warm. So does the razor in use.

I'm not saying shave feels hot as in oh my goodness I'm getting razor burn. Not at all. Yes, there is a little blade feel but it's not what I experience as objectionable or scary or concerning blade feel. More like a tickle (used with skill by experienced hands, mine, at a steep angle, with the proper amount of pressure which is to say none).

Post shave I noticed nothing amiss. Now - about twenty minutes or so after the shave - my skin feels just fine (and I have sensitive, easily irritated, easily damaged skin coupled with a not too very heavy "average" beard and super wiry old many tungsten carbide whiskers especially in the soul patch area).

proxy.php

Did it do a perfect job of my soul patch? No, it didn't, but it was better than most razors with not much work. Once the hysteresis effect kicked in the area is damn smooth (not 100% perfect). My neck is way smoother than I can achieve with most razors. Usually, unless I way overdo things, I can't get my neck this close to smooth. No, it's not Dolphin Skin, but my overall shave is in that territory in places it usually isn't (such as my upper lip).

I want to be careful and not imply anything is perfect. That's not the case, but it's closer to perfect than I usually am able to achieve.

To be fair to the razor, this is my first shave with it, so I'm at the bottom of its learning curve. Still, it is a definite contender. I'm not planning to abandon any razors just yet, but this one will be fully tested before a good many others. It's that good.

It remains to be seen if my skin will feel inflamed or irritated or itchy as the day goes by, but there are no early signs of any of that stuff.

I used a not new but flipped Wizamet SI blade. I only use Wizamet SI and Polsilver SI blades. As always it seemed just right.

Recently I've been trying the Equate Noxzema knock off as a preshave. I used it today. I think it helps. Maybe I'll leave it off tomorrow (for science).

View attachment 1284001

It's too soon to know if this razor is "The One," but it might be. We'll see. Still, it is a very impressive razor. Not sexy looking. Not fancy looking. Utilitarian. Looks like a very high quality tool and not jewelry. Functional in appearance, and, well, highly functional in use.

I read a review where David @never-stop-learning used on of the Mühle Rocca razors, probably a V4. I think I like the razor a good bit more than David did as I don't find that he's used it a lot more since then and I doubt I could have stopped myself. Perhaps I'll find its too aggressive or that I get delayed razor burn or something like that, but, so far - after just one shave with it mind you - it's a very well balanced, safe and not scary, efficient and smooth shaving mild feeling razor.

Is it a Daily Driver for me? I have no idea.

View attachment 1283999
Yummy scent.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Perhaps you've heard of the payback machine.

PaybackMacine.6-18-21.JPG

Some months ago SWMBO announced she wanted to buy a new sewing machine. Since expenditures exceeding X number of dollars require spousal consent (in our house) you'd think she was asking. Well, maybe so, but maybe not. Anyway, I agreed she could buy it, but wait...

This is a seriously expensive sewing machine. You can look 'em up.

However, she's a seriously into it quilter, and devoted to the craft, and damn good at it. Did you know quilters buy 20% of the fabric made? She buys most of that; trust me.

1624126397444.png
1624126350849.png

Anyway...

The machine was very very deeply discounted at her favorite store. So, that meant she was a little bit late coming to a decision, running it by me for my "approval," and getting to the store.

All the discounted and on sale machines were gone. Out of luck was she. She was very very unhappy with herself for not being quicker on the draw.

She told the owner how disappointed she was. As you might guess she's a good customer but even so the sale was over and the machines were all in the homes of other sewing crazies (or pros).

But wait. There's more...

Yesterday the store owner called her up (this is months and months later mind you) to announce he had a machine for her. He'd ordered another of the exactly machine with her name on it.

Janome M7 Box.6-18-21.640.JPG
Donna's new sewing machine.6-18-21.640.Covered.Table..JPG

With the cover on.​

Better still, she got the deep deep deep discount + she got the deep deep deep discount on the super nice table which had been I think a floor model. Just the table cost (originally) more than plenty of really good sewing machines (like the ones she's already purchased over the years), but it's a very nice heavy duty table, perfect for the new sewing machine, and much nicer than the "not really appropriate" dining room table she's been using (for sewing, not eating).

1624127943184.png

This is a damn big sewing machine, and heavy. She's announced it will require major layout renovations to our house which will require some new furniture, etc. It's currently in the "wrong room," which is probably obvious to your wife who undoubtedly already has a dedicated sewing room or cottage or warehouse.

Not that I have any plans - having just about run out of opportunities to exercise RAD - but this machine should cover at least a few of my past sins.

Thank God my wife is a thrifty shopper.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Towards that end I've been eaten alive with RAD.

image.jpg

This is a damn big sewing machine, and heavy. She's announced it will require major layout renovations to our house which will require some new furniture, etc. It's currently in the "wrong room," which is probably obvious to your wife who undoubtedly already has a dedicated sewing room or cottage or warehouse.

4aaqgf.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I cleaned up last week's Piccolo Ni, and then I loaded my Roedter 1909 for Monday. I decided to go with Gillette Yellows. The blade aligns perfectly with the cap but that's it. The blade exposure is comparable to a Mk1. The cap is a 18mm wide Mk2 cap. The baseplate is catywompus to the cap. The blade has incredible gap, I'm quite impressed. On one side the blade is right at the edge of the comb, well at least on one corner. The opposite side blade edge sits further back from the comb. The blade on that side is pushed down due to an indent in the cap just left of half way. This forces the blade into a v-shape. This should give it added rigidity, right?

Photos are coming tomorrow. Are you guys still in?

Last edited:

The indirect cost of this shaving hobby can really add up :).

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I cleaned up last week's Piccolo Ni, and then I loaded my Roedter 1909 for Monday. I decided to go with Gillette Yellows. The blade aligns perfectly with the cap but that's it. The blade exposure is comparable to a Mk1. The cap is a 18mm wide Mk2 cap. The baseplate is catywompus to the cap. The blade has incredible gap, I'm quite impressed. On one side the blade is right at the edge of the comb, well at least on one corner. The opposite side blade edge sits further back from the comb. The blade on that side is pushed down due to an indent in the cap just left of half way. This forces the blade into a v-shape. This should give it added rigidity, right?

Bolzano is loaded up and ready to rumble!

Sundays are reserved for the Vector but Monday - Saturday belong to the Scheermes Roedter 1909 Titan!

The cap on mine measures 18.5mm. Blade loads straight and even.

I'll start a thread in DE Razors so we can chart our progress. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

You and David, right?

Rave, you guys are totally nuts...but that doesn't mean we aren't cheering you on.

Big Nurse has hinted that the asylum might put a plastic surgeon on retainer for a couple of weeks, but you know how she lies.

The voices are whispering in my ear to tell you to be careful but I'm not listening. I think, "Careful? These guys are risking their very lives! What's a little risk to daredevils like Rave and David, gentlemen who make Navy Seals look like Little League dropouts." That's what I think but the voices don't stop. Now they're saying you need to go to confession. Don't listen.

proxy.php

Polish up that razor, my friend. I'm in your corner (everyone need a cut-man when going into the ring).

Enjoy Father's Day. It might be your last (day, not Father's Day).

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
You and David, right?

Rave, you guys are totally nuts...but that doesn't mean we aren't cheering you on.

Big Nurse has hinted that the asylum might put a plastic surgeon on retainer for a couple of weeks, but you know how she lies.

The voices are whispering in my ear to tell you to be careful but I'm not listening. I think, "Careful? These guys are risking their very lives! What's a little risk to daredevils like Rave and David, gentlemen who make Navy Seals look like Little League dropouts." That's what I think but the voices don't stop. Now they're saying you need to go to confession. Don't listen.

proxy.php

Polish up that razor, my friend. I'm in your corner (everyone need a cut-man when going into the ring).

Enjoy Father's Day. It might be your last (day, not Father's Day).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Not going to join us? ;) :)

Top Bottom