What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Are you saying there is a weight difference with the Tuxedo cap vs the smooth cap or scalloped cap? Wonder why?
I have been wanting to try a Timeless for some time now.
I believe all the stainless version caps weigh the same. The stainless caps are 14.5 grams versus I think 7.4 for the Ti cap. I prefer the extra weight of the stainless cap, but the stainless baseplate is a tank.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I believe all the stainless version caps weigh the same. The stainless caps are 14.5 grams versus I think 7.4 for the Ti cap. I prefer the extra weight of the stainless cap, but the stainless baseplate is a tank.

The Bronze is a tank, too, but the mass doesn't bother me when I'm using it. Same with the Pearl adjustable which is even heavier; it's 140 gm.

1621276798550.png
1621276689621.png
⬇ OC 78 ⬇​

1621276881694.png
1621276747892.png

Looks like my Ti razor will weigh about half of what the Pearl weighs.

The Fatip Open Comb Slant weighs 67 gm, so there's that!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Just looking at the website to satisfy my curiosity, and since I have the morning off work to recover from some dental work and thus have the time to do so, both Timeless Ti caps are 7.3 gms. Their SS counterparts are 14.1 (smooth) and 13.6 (scalloped).

Yes, indeed, the baseplate weights vary a lot (see my previous post), as do the handle weights.

In titanium these are the handle weights.
  • Ti Crown handle is 42.7 gm
  • Ti Spiral handle is 51 gm
  • Apparently, there is some variation as they're weighed by Timeless (see above post).
In SS these are the handle weights.
  • 85 mm Barberpole is 85.5 gm
  • 100 mm Barberpole is 100 gm
  • 85 mm Dimpled Design is 80 gm
  • 100 mm Pineapple Design is 94 gm
  • 85.1 mm Knurled Design is 71 gm (the handle is thinner than the others)
  • 100 mm Plaid Design is 98 gm
The Bronze and the SS Timeless razors are heavy, but, as I said, my Bronze is certainly not, for me, too heavy.

1621354573397.png

The Timeless aluminum razor in its entirely is another matter when it comes to tanks.

It's not nor is the Ti.​

Timeless razors are widely admired and highly reviewed regardless of what metal they're made from, but it's very clear some gentlemen have preferences in metal and weight. Some, seem to have no preference and own the whole product line.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Just looking at the website to satisfy my curiosity, and since I have the morning off work to recover from some dental work and thus have the time to do so, both Timeless Ti caps are 7.3 gms. Their SS counterparts are 14.1 (smooth) and 13.6 (scalloped).

Yes, indeed, the baseplate weights vary a lot (see my previous post), as do the handle weights.

In titanium these are the handle weights.
  • Ti Crown handle is 42.7 gm
  • Ti Spiral handle is 51 gm
  • Apparently, there is some variation as they're weighed by Timeless (see above post).
In SS these are the handle weights.
  • 85 mm Barberpole is 85.5 gm
  • 100 mm Barberpole is 100 gm
  • 85 mm Dimpled Design is 80 gm
  • 100 mm Pineapple Design is 94 gm
  • 85.1 mm Knurled Design is 71 gm (the handle is thinner than the others)
  • 100 mm Plaid Design is 98 gm
The Bronze and the SS Timeless razors are heavy, but, as I said, my Bronze is certainly not, for me, too heavy.

View attachment 1268435
The Timeless aluminum razor in its entirely is another matter when it comes to tanks.

It's not nor is the Ti.​

Timeless razors are widely admired and highly reviewed regardless of what metal they're made from, but it's very clear some gentlemen have preferences in metal and weight. Some, seem to have no preference and own the whole product line.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I see Timeless does have that option. :a29:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was very good.

5-18-21.Karve.D-SB.CH3.Vitos.640.JPG

I've now used all of my Karve baseplates.
  1. OC F
  2. SB G
  3. OC B
  4. SB D
The D, which I used for the first time today, is an excellent baseplate. Smooth feeling. Pretty darned efficient. Not aggressive feeling. No blood. Easy to use. What's not to like?

I see no real need to acquire more Karve baseplates - except for Science & Curiosity - as the four I already have cover a lot of territory. As smooth as the D SB and the B OC are I see no reason to go for anything milder.

This was what I call a 1.0 shave (one lathered pass) with some buffing of the soul patch. That's almost as little work as I ever do, and yet I got a good shave.

This Simpson CH3 is supposed to be Best Badger but I'm pretty sure it's Super Badger. It still has a little bit of the unpleasant new badger scent, but not enough to bother me particularly as I appreciate less scent with every use of the soft and somewhat floppy knot. It has barely enough scrub to be a keeper, and nowhere near the scrub of my CH2 in Best Badger.

I like the knot and handle size of the CH3 brushes more than that of the CH2 brushes. I particularly enjoy the CH3 handle size compared with the CH2 handles. It just feels great in my handle.

12-20.CoconutBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640.JPG

What's not to like? It bears repeating.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I see no real need to acquire more Karve baseplates - except for Science & Curiosity - as the four I already have cover a lot of territory. As smooth as the D SB and the B OC are I see no reason to go for anything milder.
Therein lies my dilemma Jim. I only have the OC C and OC D baseplates for my Karve, but for -Science $ Curiosity- I wonder how the SB baseplates compare to the OC baseplates. The OC D surprised me a bit, as I thought it would feel more aggressive than the OC C, instead it felt smoother and more efficient. Kinda like the difference between a Mk2 and Mk1 Piccolo. I prefer the Mk1 as it feels smoother to me.

Not that I have my finger on the button, but Maggards does have the SB E and SB F Karve baseplates in stock, and some other razors too. Not that I have been looking at other razors.

At least I don't need any handles.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Therein lies my dilemma Jim. I only have the OC C and OC D baseplates for my Karve, but for -Science $ Curiosity- I wonder how the SB baseplates compare to the OC baseplates. The OC D surprised me a bit, as I thought it would feel more aggressive than the OC C, instead it felt smoother and more efficient. Kinda like the difference between a Mk2 and Mk1 Piccolo. I prefer the Mk1 as it feels smoother to me.

Not that I have my finger on the button, but Maggards does have the SB E and SB F Karve baseplates in stock, and some other razors too. Not that I have been looking at other razors.

SB-G, my friend.....SB-G. :cool:
20210512_184433~2.jpg
20210512_184609~2.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Admittedly, it's interesting to have two Karve handles. The 3.25 " is great, but so is the 3.0 " handle. Same with the two top caps.

David @never-stop-learning mentioned the very efficient and surprisingly smooth G baseplate. I suspect you were saying Maggard has available only the ones you mentioned, but all I've tried so far have been worth buying. I'd like to try the SB E, too, if I had one, after experiencing how smooth the D is, and maybe the SB F.

My guess is all are available from Karve. Interesting business model: It's an adjustable, but you have to pay more for each adjustment you want to try out. Plus shipping.

That said, the SB D is one heck of a smooth and efficient baseplate without a hint of aggression.
And, I'm pretty pleased with my little group of Karve baseplates. The killer is I have no way of knowing whether another of their offerings would be even better than what I have.

I'll let you talk me into an E if you want to. Maybe.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was interesting.

5-19-21.TimelessBronze78.RV-D01.Vitos.640.JPG

The blade used yesterday was flipped and used again to help control the variables. Wizamet SI.

I'd say the Timeless Bronze 78 doesn't feel as smooth during the shave as the Karve SB D. It is also not as efficient. I had to do a 2.0 (two lathered passes) shave.

However, and this is the bottom line, my shave was very good. Post shave my skin feels great. It's not like the Bronze 78 felt rough, but it's just didn't have, today at least, that super smooth feeling some razors have.

In other words, no big deal.

12-20.CrownKingBayRum.AA.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640.JPG

Super great scent today. It's also a scent I know to be long lasting which appeals to me sometimes more than others. Today for instance I'll enjoy the scent's persistence all day.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
David @never-stop-learning mentioned the very efficient and surprisingly smooth G baseplate. I suspect you were saying Maggard has available only the ones you mentioned, but all I've tried so far have been worth buying. I'd like to try the SB E, too, if I had one, after experiencing how smooth the D is, and maybe the SB F.

My guess is all are available from Karve. Interesting business model: It's an adjustable, but you have to pay more for each adjustment you want to try out. Plus shipping.
Oh, they have all of them in stock, as does Karve, now I might need to add a SB D to the list, as I found the OC D to be extremely smooth and efficient, but I'm not sure I want to go as far as the G.
What does surprise me a bit Jim, in the past you have mentioned your feelings that razors with large blade gaps have a tendency to jump up and bite, and the SB G certainly has a large gap at 1.36mm.

Karve isn't the only model that comes with more than one plate, the Rockwell 6C also has interchangeable plates, and Timeless has their Master Kit's.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Cool to know.

Mostly Timeless has a few gaps and choices.
  • The 68 and the 95 (in OC, CC, and scalloped), Ti and SS
  • The Aluminum 45 (aggressive)
  • The two in Bronze, 38 and 78 (78 is aggressive)
  • The one in Slim (in OC and CC), 50, Ti and SS (aggressive)

So, yes, they have much the same adjustable/business model I suppose.

There has got to be more to the equation than gap and blade exposure.

1621437277130.png

Witness the ⬆ Karve D ⬆. Why is it so smooth?

Not to mention the Karve OC F and SB G which are surprising. Why are they so smooth?

Mostly, all I'm saying here is what most everyone already knew: When it comes to razors and razor design the only thing I know to be true is that rigidity is good.

All things being equal I prefer very little gap, very little guard span (is that the term?), and not a huge amount of blade feel. However, as we all know, all things are never equal.

I like smooth feeling razors, a close shave, a Damn Comfortable Shave, and ice cream which doubles as health food.

I am not seeking employment as a razor design engineer.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Admittedly, it's interesting to have two Karve handles. The 3.25 " is great, but so is the 3.0 " handle. Same with the two top caps.

That said, the SB D is one heck of a smooth and efficient baseplate without a hint of aggression.
And, I'm pretty pleased with my little group of Karve baseplates. The killer is I have no way of knowing whether another of their offerings would be even better than what I have.

I'll let you talk me into an E if you want to. Maybe.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Prior to getting the SB-G, the SB-D was my favored baseplate. :)

Now the SB-G rules my Karve Brass roost. :cool:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes I do and, in my opinion, the SB-G is my preference. It's as smooth as the SB-D and more efficient the any other plate in the current Karve lineup. To me, this combination of smooth and efficient makes the SB-G a very effective shaving instrument. :cool:

Indeed it is! The G is amazingly smooth considering its gap. Frankly, it is smooth all considerations aside.

You may have just saved me some money. Thanks.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom