What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Gentlemen you're going to be in awe of the G plate. In spite of it's high blade gap and exposure it's pretty smooth for any veteran wet shaver who has his technique dialed in..

I would say if you can get an irritation free BBS shave from a Mamba 53, then the G plate won't destroy your face as your technique will give you a bbs shave rather than the bigger blade gap and exposure.

I've shaved with the ATT classic H1 with a sharp blade for 7 shaves and even though it's a singing razor, it's given me smooth shaves with very little irritation.

The Karve G plate doesn't allow for "razor sing" as it holds the blade pretty rigid.

Sent by the Shave Maharaja from his SM-A705GM using Tapatalk

Today was the first outing of a new razor, the Pearl Flexi Adjustable Safety Razor V4. I used a not new, but flipped Wizamet SI blade. On first impressions this is an absolutely terrific razor!

The Pearl V4 is a tank. Meaning an extremely heavy razor. I didn't weigh it but I'd guess it weighs about seven pounds! General George S Patton would appreciate it. Don't misunderstand, it's certainly not too heavy for me. Better, the shave was smooth feeling on my skin. There was very very little, but some, a tiny amount, of blade feel; an enjoyable amount.

Wow. I'm really smitten with that Pearl Flexi. I'm a little surprised because heretofore I've been a strictly 3 piece guy. I've never had a proper adjustable, and it sure is hard to argue with the price. 😍

Last edited:
Which car do I have to send them to get the mirror finish version?:lol:

proxy.php

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wow. I'm really smitten with that Pearl Flexi. I'm a little surprised because heretofore I've been a strictly 3 piece guy. I've never had a proper adjustable, and it sure is hard to argue with the price. 😍

I don't much like the idea of adjustables. Not at all. They're kinda silly.

That said I really like my Gillette Executive. It was a gift and it's in very nice shape plus it belonged to my friend's grandfather, the judge, which makes it even better. I like it better than the other Gillette adjustables I've tried most of which have handles I regard as too skinny. The GE is a tank. It's also bulky. Regardless, I like it a lot and I've used it a lot. Good Gillette Executives are usually expensive.

I also like, based on just one shave, the Pearl V4. It's even more of a tank. A lot more of a tank. Regardless, the first shave was very impressive. How I like it after fifty shaves is an open question.

I have no idea why I bought the Pearl. Well, other than RAD I have no idea.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don't much like the idea of adjustables. Not at all. They're kinda silly.

Same. I'm against butterfly razors generally to be honest. They were dreamed up by marketing departments to induce people to change blades more frequently, since blade sales were 90% of revenue. Shave quality was a distant 2nd or 3rd priority. When competitors copied that, making a razor adjustable was the next inevitable solution in search of a problem, brought to you by the same minds that put electric motors in razors to make them vibrate.

That said, I broke out my Feather Popular a few days ago and I've really been enjoying it. Maybe butterfly razors aren't so bad. I also really admire the engineering that went into making razors adjustable, even if it serves no practical purpose. On top of that, I've always had an inexplicable weakness for brass. Come to think of it, with copper prices expected to double by Q4, I should just probably just be honest with myself and buy one now before copper prices push the Flexi over $100. :)

That's actually one of the more compelling rationalizations I've managed in a while. I think I actually talked myself into it. 😐

I'm not sure this shave journal is a safe place for someone with my condition.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Same. I'm against butterfly razors generally to be honest. They were dreamed up by marketing departments to induce people to change blades more frequently, since blade sales were 90% of revenue. Shave quality was a distant 2nd or 3rd priority. When competitors copied that, making a razor adjustable was the next inevitable solution in search of a problem, brought to you by the same minds that put electric motors in razors to make them vibrate.

That said, I broke out my Feather Popular a few days ago and I've really been enjoying it. Maybe butterfly razors aren't so bad. I also really admire the engineering that went into making razors adjustable, even if it serves no practical purpose. On top of that, I've always had an inexplicable weakness for brass. Come to think of it, with copper prices expected to double by Q4, I should just probably just be honest with myself and buy one now before copper prices push the Flexi over $100. :)

That's actually one of the more compelling rationalizations I've managed in a while. I think I actually talked myself into it. 😐

I'm not sure this shave journal is a safe place for someone with my condition.

You crack me up.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Karve Brass SB-G plate on the way. :)

You are the man!

It occurred to me a little while ago to buy a G baseplate today.

Then I realized the smart play is to also buy a three inch handle to compare it with the 3.25 handle I already have. Of course, it would be good to try the widebody cap, too. Considering all that, why not just get a widebody razor with the G plate (and save some money).

As we all know, you can't reasonably buy the entire Karve brass razor without another stand because free shipping kicks in at $150 CAD which just happens to be the price of a razor with a stand.

Already bought one other razor today, so decided to hold off.

RAD is bad some days. Not that you don't already know that, my friend.

Happy shaves and happy shave reports,

Jim

Last edited:
You are the man!

It occurred to me a little while ago to buy a G baseplate today.

Then I realized the smart play is to also buy a three inch handle to compare it with the 3.25 handle I already have. Of course, it would be good to try the widebody cap, too. Considering all that, why not just get a widebody razor with the G plate (and save some money).

As we all know, you can't reasonably buy the entire Karve brass razor without another stand because free shipping kicks in at $150 CAD which just happens to be the price of a razor with a stand.

Already bought one other razor today, so decided to hold off.

RAD is bad some days. Not that you don't already know that, my friend.

Happy shaves and happy shave reports,

Jim

That is exactly how I bought the G plate. As a complete razor and wide body cap and to test out the 3.5" handle as I already have other ones!

While the wide body may cover the blade tabs and save a ear lobe (I've still got both incidentally after years of wet shaving), I like the traditional cap better.

The widebody looks like Mr. Christopher Bradley with a hoodie !

Saturday's shave. Another very good shave.

Today's razor is yet another brand new razor.

Obviously, it's a Karve.

The baseplate is the F.

OC, obviously. I like the feel of these combs and don't see them as being too wide.

This is a good photo in terms of how well it shows off the considerable gap.

The handle is 3.25 inches in length which seems about right. I think 3.0 would also suit me, but I'm of the opinion I choose correctly.​

View attachment 1263697

It's possible I may have had a recent relapse of my formerly well enough controlled RAD. Just guessing!

What about the shave?

View attachment 1263698

It would be impossible to say this was the smoothest feeling shave I've ever had, but it certainly was not rough nor did the razor feel scary as I used it. There was definitely a considerable amount of blade feel but not so much that it was terribly noticeable or bothersome. Considering the gap and the blade exposure and how efficient the razor seemed to be I'd call it a decently smooth feeling razor with the F OC baseplate on its first outing. Certainly not uncomfortable.

How efficient? Interesting question, but the short answer is very efficient. I did only one lathered pass, what I call a 1.0 shave. Not a whole lot of strokes, perhaps less than I usually do during the first lathered pass, but only some less, not a lot less. No buffing. Some ATG work, but less than usual in the first pass; generally I save most of that for the second pass (the 0.5 pass in a 1.5 pass shave) and for the third lathered pass. Today, I did only the one lathered pass and it seemed like enough.

I wasn't chasing baby and didn't catch him. Still, it's a close shave.

View attachment 1263703The baseplate I used today is a big gun. Yes, it's the OC F plate. The largest gap and blade exposure of any of the Karve OC baseplates.

Should I get the G plate? The F OC is supposed to be the OC equivalent of the SB G. All things being equal (which is rarely the case) I prefer OC to SB, but the SB G might feel smoother? I don't know.

I've not used any post shave products other than hyaluronic acid. Maybe I won't use 'em today. Maybe I will.

Good shave, I'd say. Good razor. Also a pretty good looking razor with a beautiful handle and a wonderfully well designed razor stand (it sets a high bar in that respect for sure).

Glad I ordered the F OC baseplate, too. I have the D SB and the B OC to try and can't imagine they won't be to my liking having used the big gun first. How this razor will fit into my rotation is yet to be determined but I like it so far.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim
I haven’t used any of the Karve exposures beyond the SB D, but I think the wide cap is worthy of consideration- adds a little weight, and covers the blade side edges, which I had managed to cut myself with.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was very close, but not perfect.

5-9-21.Pearl-V4(on6).CH3-Best.Vitos.640.Wizamet.JPG

Today's choice in razors was the Pearl V4. A new Wizamet SI blade was installed. The razor was set on its highest setting, #6, giving it a gap of 1.0 mm.

It was first used on Friday on setting #4, with a not new blade. On Friday I did a 2.5 lathered pass shave.

Today I did a 1.5 lathered pass shave, which is my usual shave.

The Pearl was smooth during the shave but perhaps not quite as smooth as it was on setting #4. Still, quite smooth, and not rough at all, nor scary. There was blade feel of course, and more than on setting #4, but not a great deal of blade feel. Post shave my skin feels great.

On #6 it is definitely more efficient than it is on #4 (and #4 is impressive). It would be incorrect to say I got a BBS shave overall, but it is dolphin skin smooth in some places, and a good bit better than average compared with most of my better neck shaves. That's without doing any extra work at all. It's also impressive as my neck generally seems much the same post shave with all razors unless I do too much work or they're super aggressive like the iKon Tech.

The lower lip soul patch area (or part of it) could have used a bit more buffing (I did very little), but that's not to say it was neglected nor that it's inadequately shaven.

I got three tiny weepers. Not a big deal, but I prefer zero blood.

The Pearl Flexi V4 continues to impress me. A lot. A whole lot.

My Simpson Chubby 3 in Best Badger is an interesting brush. It's a very much different knot from my CH2 in Best Badger.

I like the CH2 brushes and their handles, but I like the CH3 handle a lot more. Bigger is better in the Chubby handles.​
3-15-21.CH3.Best.BrandNew.640.JPG

You know how they say some Simpson Best is like Simpson Super Badger? That's this brush I think.

No, I've not used a Super Badger but I have used a Vulflix Silvertip Badger which is the identical hair to the Super Badger. I'd say my CH3 in Best Badger is extremely similar to that knot.

Yes, it's at least as soft and at least as devoid of scritch and pokiness. The CH3 is a huge, dense knot, but it's not as strong on backbone as that implies. It's not really floppy or mop-like, but it reminds me of brushes which are, and yet it's acceptable, and not quite bad in any way. It has enough scrub to get by, and I'm kinda enjoying using it, but it is not much like the knot in my CH2 Best Badger.

I'm saying it's not what I expected, but it's certainly a good brush for what it is, just not for what I expected it to be.

Oh, for the first time today it didn't stink at all that I noticed. I was sniffing for the bad scent it's had until now.

In the photo the knot looks a bit misshapen, but that's because it dried funny (my fault I'd guess) and not because the knot seems defective in how it was formed. I don't think it's lost a single hair.

I was a bit concerned after the first few uses of it that I wouldn't like this brush. It's definitely not what I was expecting when I bought it, but I like it for what it is.

For the record, I bought it on Amazon at a remarkably low price. I've not seen another CH3 sold anywhere else for a price even close to what I paid for this one. I'm glad I pulled the trigger.

12-20.ClasicoBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Really good post shave products.​

All in all, this was a remarkably close and good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Still not perfect, but today's shave seems even closer (and just as comfortable) about an hour after I shaved.

That's good of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sunday's shave was very close, but not perfect.

View attachment 1264083

Today's choice in razors was the Pearl V4. A new Wizamet SI blade was installed. The razor was set on its highest setting, #6, giving it a gap of 1.0 mm.

It was first used on Friday on setting #4, with a not new blade. On Friday I did a 2.5 lathered pass shave.

Today I did a 1.5 lathered pass shave, which is my usual shave.

The Pearl was smooth during the shave but perhaps not quite as smooth as it was on setting #4. Still, quite smooth, and not rough at all, nor scary. There was blade feel of course, and more than on setting #4, but not a great deal of blade feel. Post shave my skin feels great.

On #6 it is definitely more efficient than it is on #4 (and #4 is impressive). It would be incorrect to say I got a BBS shave overall, but it is dolphin skin smooth in some places, and a good bit better than average compared with most of my better neck shaves. That's without doing any extra work at all. It's also impressive as my neck generally seems much the same post shave with all razors unless I do too much work or they're super aggressive like the iKon Tech.

The lower lip soul patch area (or part of it) could have used a bit more buffing (I did very little), but that's not to say it was neglected nor that it's inadequately shaven.

I got three tiny weepers. Not a big deal, but I prefer zero blood.

The Pearl Flexi V4 continues to impress me. A lot. A whole lot.

My Simpson Chubby 3 in Best Badger is an interesting brush. It's a very much different knot from my CH2 in Best Badger.

I like the CH2 brushes and their handles, but I like the CH3 handle a lot more. Bigger is better in the Chubby handles.​
View attachment 1264087

You know how they say some Simpson Best is like Simpson Super Badger? That's this brush I think.

No, I've not used a Super Badger but I have used a Vulflix Silvertip Badger which is the identical hair to the Super Badger. I'd say my CH3 in Best Badger is extremely similar to that knot.

Yes, it's at least as soft and at least as devoid of scritch and pokiness. The CH3 is a huge, dense knot, but it's not as strong on backbone as that implies. It's not really floppy or mop-like, but it reminds me of brushes which are, and yet it's acceptable, and not quite bad in any way. It has enough scrub to get by, and I'm kinda enjoying using it, but it is not much like the knot in my CH2 Best Badger.

I'm saying it's not what I expected, but it's certainly a good brush for what it is, just not for what I expected it to be.

Oh, for the first time today it didn't stink at all that I noticed. I was sniffing for the bad scent it's had until now.

In the photo the knot looks a bit misshapen, but that's because it dried funny (my fault I'd guess) and not because the knot seems defective in how it was formed. I don't think it's lost a single hair.

I was a bit concerned after the first few uses of it that I wouldn't like this brush. It's definitely not what I was expecting when I bought it, but I like it for what it is.

For the record, I bought it on Amazon at a remarkably low price. I've not seen another CH3 sold anywhere else for a price even close to what I paid for this one. I'm glad I pulled the trigger.

View attachment 1264090
Really good post shave products.​

All in all, this was a remarkably close and good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

When did Pearl come out with a V4?

I'm still at V2. ;)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
At one point I thought Jim's RAD had overtaken his SBAD. Now I'm not so sure. :crazy:

What I do know is that Jim is still swigging his OCD Enhancer from those monster flagons of his. I think I'll stick to my smaller doses for the time being
View attachment 1264108... just in case I need to eat, you understand. :letterk1:

I've pretty much completed my brush collection. That doesn't mean I'll never buy another brush of course, but it means I have the brushes I felt I needed to really compare brushes and knots like I wanted to. I'm talking badgers and mixed knots here, as I've long ago done the same with boars.

Some really good brushes kinda fell on me from the BST and elsewhere.

This isn't 100% certain, but I think I'm close to the same place with razors. No cigars yet of course.

Yuma. Third World Skeptical Kid.480.png

There are a few very expensive razors I might like to try out to see what they offer, but I'm not at all sure I want to own them enough to put out the money they cost. There are a couple of moderately priced razors I will try, and a few I might try depending on how those trials go; these are mostly in the RazoRock SS lines, and are sometimes very highly reviewed.

I might buy an iKon B1 Standard, or not. I might try the Karve G baseplate. I have in transit a Lupo 95 and Timeless Ti OC 95 baseplate. I might purchase a Timeless Ti razor if the Ti OC 95 baseplate hits a sweet spot, and I feel spend-thrifty. I'm borrowing a Game Changer 68. We'll see how various trials go.

Stainless steel razors don't particularly appeal to me. The look and feel of brass and bronze and nickel seems better to me. I like Ti just fine. Enough to pay the Ti price? I'm not so sure, and I'm picky about they ones I'd consider. I have plenty of vintage razors; enough to know I'm not interested in chasing others.

While I suppose I could go down the very expensive jewelry razor rabbit holes - Wolfman razors, Charcoal Goods razors, and the like - I'm not terribly inclined to go that route. To the degree I enjoy shaving with a work of art, the Timeless Bronze scratches that itch.

There was a recent post by BigJ which I liked:

1620578876758.png

As a collector (to the degree I am) there's nothing I want. In many ways the FOCS ticks the boxes for me, but I am searching for the destination razor which will deliver a BBS and also a Damn Comfortable Shave on a daily basis should that me my objective in a given day, week, month, or year.

I might also not buy anymore razors. I'm not interested in owning more razors just to own them. I'm interested in upping my game.

1620580962089.png

I guess I'm like everybody else in that ultimately I want a BBS shave everywhere on my face and neck. Achieving that without sacrificing a Damn Comfortable Shave is a very challenging undertaking with whiskers and skin like mine. I want to have my cake and eat it too. I believe it's close to happening and will happen.

It's not that I have a particularly heavy beard. In most respects it's probably pretty average, but it's become damn wiry as I've become older, and thus hard to truly smooth. Coupled with my dry skin tendencies and propensity to be easily irritated especially in my neck, the bar is high.

Recent shaves with the Timeless Bronze, and the Pearl V4, and the Karve OC F have convinced me that I'm very close to the mark, or at least closer than I was before recent exacerbations of RAD afflicted my purse and enlarged my options.

The Pearl might be a RAD killer!

All that's to say there's not much I need in terms of new razors now, and beyond that, very little I want.

Much the same as with brushes, but I'm not quite there with razors.

You'll notice I buy just about nothing new in soaps or splashes or blades and just replenish in those areas. The few new soaps I've acquired in the last year or so since I got into Vitos Red Cocco have done nothing for me. I expect something similar will happen soon with razors.

I should get rid of most of my soaps. I have given some away and would give more away except for laziness and shipping costs.

First World Hobbyist issues for sure, Cal.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
When did Pearl come out with a V4?

I'm still at V2. ;)

From what I've read they're now at V5, or will be when they have more razors to sell. Also from what I've read, the versions beyond V2 may or may not have been merely production runs with no changes other than perhaps a bit of tweaking to get rid of problems noticed by the manufacturer or the customers (such as sometimes a slanted gap and such). I do not think there were any fundamental design changes.

Of course, I'm no expert. I'm just reporting on what I've read.

My guess is your V2 since you got a good one is exactly like my V4.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
From what I've read they're now at V5, or will be when they have more razors to sell. Also from what I've read, the versions beyond V2 may or may not have been merely production runs with no changes other than perhaps a bit of tweaking to get rid of problems noticed by the manufacturer or the customers (such as sometimes a slanted gap and such). I do not think there were any fundamental design changes.

Of course, I'm no expert. I'm just reporting on what I've read.

My guess is your V2 since you got a good one is exactly like my V4.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thank you, Jim. :)

I'll reassure my V2 so it doesn't develop any feelings of version inadequacy. ;) :letterk1: 🤣

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I've pretty much completed my brush collection. That doesn't mean I'll never buy another brush of course, but it means I have the brushes I felt I needed to really compare brushes and knots like I wanted to. I'm talking badgers and mixed knots here, as I've long ago done the same with boars.

Some really good brushes kinda fell on me from the BST and elsewhere.

This isn't 100% certain, but I think I'm close to the same place with razors. No cigars yet of course.

View attachment 1264147

There are a few very expensive razors I might like to try out to see what they offer, but I'm not at all sure I want to own them enough to put out the money they cost. There are a couple of moderately priced razors I will try, and a few I might try depending on how those trials go; these are mostly in the RazoRock SS lines, and are sometimes very highly reviewed.

I might buy an iKon B1 Standard, or not. I might try the Karve G baseplate. I have in transit a Lupo 95 and Timeless Ti OC 95 baseplate. I might purchase a Timeless Ti razor if the Ti OC 95 baseplate hits a sweet spot, and I feel spend-thrifty. I'm borrowing a Game Changer 68. We'll see how various trials go.

Stainless steel razors don't particularly appeal to me. The look and feel of brass and bronze and nickel seems better to me. I like Ti just fine. Enough to pay the Ti price? I'm not so sure, and I'm picky about they ones I'd consider. I have plenty of vintage razors; enough to know I'm not interested in chasing others.

While I suppose I could go down the very expensive jewelry razor rabbit holes - Wolfman razors, Charcoal Goods razors, and the like - I'm not terribly inclined to go that route. To the degree I enjoy shaving with a work of art, the Timeless Bronze scratches that itch.

There was a recent post by BigJ which I liked:

View attachment 1264115

As a collector (to the degree I am) there's nothing I want. In many ways the FOCS ticks the boxes for me, but I am searching for the destination razor which will deliver a BBS and also a Damn Comfortable Shave on a daily basis should that me my objective in a given day, week, month, or year.

I might also not buy anymore razors. I'm not interested in owning more razors just to own them. I'm interested in upping my game.

View attachment 1264142

I guess I'm like everybody else in that ultimately I want a BBS shave everywhere on my face and neck. Achieving that without sacrificing a Damn Comfortable Shave is a very challenging undertaking with whiskers and skin like mine. I want to have my cake and eat it too. I believe it's close to happening and will happen.

It's not that I have a particularly heavy beard. In most respects it's probably pretty average, but it's become damn wiry as I've become older, and thus hard to truly smooth. Coupled with my dry skin tendencies and propensity to be easily irritated especially in my neck, the bar is high.

Recent shaves with the Timeless Bronze, and the Pearl V4, and the Karve OC F have convinced me that I'm very close to the mark, or at least closer than I was before recent exacerbations of RAD afflicted my purse and enlarged my options.

The Pearl might be a RAD killer!

All that's to say there's not much I need in terms of new razors now, and beyond that, very little I want.

Much the same as with brushes, but I'm not quite there with razors.

You'll notice I buy just about nothing new in soaps or splashes or blades and just replenish in those areas. The few new soaps I've acquired in the last year or so since I got into Vitos Red Cocco have done nothing for me. I expect something similar will happen soon with razors.

I should get rid of most of my soaps. I have given some away and would give more away except for laziness and shipping costs.

First World Hobbyist issues for sure, Cal.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Fairly accurate review in your pursuit of perfection, I'm much at your crossroads Jim and might buy a few shaving supplies or just try the odd new razor. I have learned a lot and have figured there is not a lot more to learn when it comes to shaving possibly.

Top Bottom