What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Are you going to try it out for post-shave too, Jim? :001_unsur

Osage Rub, Antique Bottle.jpg

No, I don't think so. I've got that covered to my satisfaction and that of my skin. Plus, I'm not a fan of that much menthol (a bit preshave might be okay and sometimes I like Osage Rub, but OR is very transient).

Still, you never know.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Reactions: Cal
Hey all. My first posting to a "shaving log". I think this is the right thread, seeing as I only shave a couple times a week.

So anyways, tonight's shave was my 1 brush and my 1 razor with one of the first soaps I got after my wife bought me the wally world razor for Christmas.

Razor: Viking Emperor on setting 4
Blade: Superinox Bolzano (first shave with this brand)
Soap: William's Mug
Pre-shave: Shave Secret (both from X-Mas)
Post shave: alum block, splash of Stetson AS, Neiva balm

I must say...Damn Fine Shave...

IMG_1548.JPGIMG_1551.JPGIMG_1555.JPGIMG_1562.JPG

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was very good. Not perfect (see below).

Wizamet SI
(flipped)​
3-25-21.Wunderbar.Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG
12-20.CoconutBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640.JPG

I thought I was going to get away with a totally bloodless shave. I did until the last ten seconds when a stray move, not a usual shaving move, resulted in a tiny little nick on my chin. Not a big deal, but I want no blood and am working towards that goal.

My shaves with the Wunderbar have definitely improved in the last few weeks (of the Fixed Four). I like this razor a lot!

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday my shave was not satisfying.

3-26-21.Wunderbar.Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG

Like yesterday, I suffered a very small nick from an errant, non-shaving move. Worse, I had a surprise, after-the-shave-was-over, weeper at the right side of my mouth + my soul patch was not as smoothed as I prefer.

I will change to a new Wizamet SI blade tomorrow. Today's blade was flipped.​
12-20.ClasicoBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday. New blade. Really good shave except I cut my upper lip (the pink part). Ouch!

3-27-21.Mistura.FixedKit.640.OK.JPG

Haven't picked a splash yet, but used my Brickell and HA.

Ouch. It still hurts a bit. I really got it. Not much blood, but ouch. I was putting the razor to my skin for a S-N pass, and must have applied it at "just the right angle." This is NOT a forgiving razor!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's was an interesting shave.

3-28-21.FixedFour.Mistura.WB.Vitos.640.JPG
WizametSI.Puck.480JPG.JPG

Flipped Wizamet SI Blade​
12-20.ClasicoBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG
What A Brush!​

Yummy Scent​

The Wunderbar delivered a very good shave today. There was however a bit of blood. I did not notice any hint of pain but blood appeared on the right side of my chin. Was it a weeper? I don't think so. I think I had (and have) a tiny blemish (bump) there, and the razor shaved the top right off of it.

Other than that I have nothing but praise for the Wunderbar's performance today.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
These brushes might see some action in April. The one in the middle is brand new. The others are from members.

3-29-21.Chubby3.Manchurian.%22New%22fromBST.640JPG.JPG
3-29-21.SemogueTSN.LE.ThreeBand.New.640.JPG
3-29-21.RudyVeyManchurian.%22New%22fromBST.640.JPG
Chubby 3 in Manchurian​
Semogue 2020 TSN LE Silvertip Badger​
Rudy Vey Manchurian
Tortoise​
Chubby 3 Demerit.png
Semogue LE 3 band (new, vendor's photo).png
3-5-21.AS3M.RudyVey.Manchurian.26x50.640.JPG

All three have now been palm lathered. They have several days during which their only job is getting dry. That said, we all know their hobby is temptation, but I'm strong so the Fixed Four is not in jeopardy.

Neither photo of the Rudy Vey Manchurian does a great job of capturing its color.

To my eye, it is darker, and more like this. ➡
It's better looking and more subtle to my eye than any of the photos I took of it.

Obviously, color is largely dependent on light.

My photo of the Semogue and the vendor's photo look about right. Beautiful handle.​
3-15-21.RudyVey.Manchurian.640.JPG

All that aside, the big deal in brushes is, to me, not the handles but the knots and the overall performance of the brushes. What I learned from hand lathering these bad boys was encouraging.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've lost track Jim. Is this a borrowed razor or bought? I know you have borrowed some not long back, and can't remember if this one is yours or not.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've lost track Jim. Is this a borrowed razor or bought? I know you have borrowed some not long back, and can't remember if this one is yours or not.

Neither, Al.

Awhile back I had and was using a borrowed Wunderbar, briefly. Its owner and I swapped razors for a little experiment we did together. I returned that razor.

Later, out of the blue, I received a "spare" Wunderbar from the same gentleman. A most generous PIF I think.

Pretty cool. The Wunderbar is a razor I've long been very interested in. Still interested in it. I hope I can eventually become skilled at using it. I think it has great potential. It is very efficient. The shaves are very smooth and comfortable. Problem is I draw a bit too much blood.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Neither, Al.

Awhile back I had and was using a borrowed Wunderbar, briefly. Its owner and I swapped razors for a little experiment we did together. I returned that razor.

Later, out of the blue, I received a "spare" Wunderbar from the same gentleman. A most generous PIF I think.

Pretty cool. The Wunderbar is a razor I've long been very interested in. Still interested in it. I hope I can eventually become skilled at using it. I think it has great potential. It is very efficient. The shaves are very smooth and comfortable. Problem is I draw a bit too much blood.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Cool! Thanks for the clarification. I can understand your wish to tame the beast. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom