What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Guess what I'm thinking about as I write this?

Lord grant me strength!

Answers I will use instead:

• That you must buy up all the Vitos Extra Super Coco to save Raven from the temptation of using and suffering from a soap containing benzaldehyde.
  • Even though the RAD is tamped by your Lo Storto and loyal army of iridium-coated blades, that RazoRock BBS does look pretty sweet
  • Would a slant Injector-style razor would work even better than a DE slant?
  • Are there any recordings of George Segal playing riffs of popular Metallica and Slayer songs on his 5-string banjo?
  • Why do some people using straight razors with hardened steel blades think they’re grooming in an old-fashioned way when using fire started by a lightning strike to burn off hair is older and free?
  • What’s all the fuss about covered and exposed Tab when other soft-drinks are completely ignored?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Even though the RAD is tamped by your Lo Storto and loyal army of iridium-coated blades, that RazoRock BBS does look pretty sweet

One is an RR Mamba. One is an RR BBS. Which is which?

Screenshot_2020-08-07 razorock-1- Google Search.png
Screenshot_2020-08-07 razorock-2- Google Search.png

"Years ago we coined the appellation, “Preoccupation with Inconsequential Increments,” or PII. This peculiarity lies in attributing importance to measurable deviations so small as to be meaningless. You see it in the people who shoot test groups in rifles, awarding a prize to a group which is only thousandths of an inch smaller than those unrewarded. One sees it in speed records awarded in one-thousandths of one mile-per-hour. One sees it in basketball scores which, nearing the century mark, are separated by less than three points. In all such cases Score A is “better” than Score B, but who cares?" - Jeff Cooper.

thombrogan

The one on the right is the BBS and it’s baseplate coverage and overall curvature have been noted by early adopters in the DE forum.

Mr. Cooper’s quote matters in its context, but errs in discounting continuous, incremental improvements. Also, his forte is more life-or-death versus creature comforts where 0.001” is the difference between a damn comfortable shave and a ticket to Scraped Face Island.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Also, his forte is more life-or-death versus creature comforts where 0.001” is the difference between a damn comfortable shave and a ticket to Scraped Face Island.

large.jpg

I didnt like that island when I was on it. I swam for shore years ago lol.

thombrogan

I didnt like that island when I was on it. I swam for shore years ago lol.

You’re still on an isthmus of that isle and only a RazoRock BBS can save you. Or a Grande and some Cella Extra Extra Bio. I dunno…

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Are you okay? Did your soap have too much verissimo when it saponified?

Let me pop the lid of the tin again. Its in the air and will be again tonight.

What's with Cella Extra Extra Bio? I have the red one...the EEB better than that?

I havent used the regular Cella.

Cella Bio though...

7e7.gif

@Marco

If you could only use one Italian soft soap, which would it be?

Cella Extra Extra Bio. :thumbup1:

The scent is very light and mild yet present. The performance is absolutely top shelf.

I forgot to mention last nights shave.

Grande, fresh Feather.
Cella Bio.
Maggard synthetic.

60 hours since last shave? Something like that anyway.

IMG_3282.JPG

As I knew, 'The Feather Test' wasnt even a test.

I loaded a little heavy just to make sure, built and worked the lather and started N>S. No issues. Smooth and very slick lather, wonderful scent.

Second pass S>N with considerable buffing on my chin and sides of my mouth. I was grinning like a fool lol.

Third pass, buffing ATG. More grinning but also something new. Buffing R>L on my neck to under my chin its normal for me to feel some tugging and if I'm going to have any razor burn thats where it happens. Buffing R>L, even beyond my Adam's apple, then back over the same areas at a downwards and inwards 45° and...nothing. I never felt a thing. Same thing left side.

Wipe and check and I could still feel a bit on my left side jawline and directly under my chin if I pinched the skin tightly so, why not see how good this stuff really is.

Clean up pass on my neck the same as my first ATG pass but now I'm buffing with a steep angle. Back over the same areas, increased pressure, buffing even faster. My skin didnt show any redness and this is with a fresh Feather. Needless to say, the shave was very close. It was also incredibly comfortable. I have no idea whats in this soap that makes it so nice. I never felt the blade, all I felt was comb and cap going through the angles, not even steep buffing over my swirls.

The scent. The first thing that comes to my mind, is rich, plain, white cake icing. It smells like icing sugar, perhaps made with salt water. Its very light and mild, yet present. It lingers but like I said earlier, in a nonchalant kind of way.

This soap on that shave outperformed Wickham.

Unless Vitos Extra Super Coco wins him over

I dont know if I could tell Cella Bio and Vitos apart in a blind test. They are oddly similar in every way but scent strength.

thombrogan

Don’t pay us any attention of you’ll end up to your ears in high-end soaps and creams, Fatip razors, dead people razors, and more GEM blades than the scraper aisle in the hardware store.

I dont know if I could tell Cella Bio and Vitos apart in a blind test. They are oddly similar in every way but scent strength.
Whereas... I could EASILY and INSTANTLY tell Cella Extra Extra Bio and Vitos Red apart in a blind test. And for me, the Vitos Red scent is very mild (I need to stick my nose right into the jar to be able to smell it) whereas the Cella Extra Extra Bio scent is obvious to me as soon as I open its jar's lid. :stuart:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You guys are tempting me to pull the trigger. Doh!

Allow me to be of assistance.

VITOS Extra Super Coco Shaving Soap - https://www.connaughtshaving.com/648556.html

100ml/$4USD plus shipping. Cheap at twice the price.

the Vitos Red scent is very mild (I need to stick my nose right into the jar to be able to smell it) whereas the Cella Extra Extra Bio scent is obvious to me as soon as I open its jar's lid.

Thats the exact opposite to my experience. I can barely smell Cella Bio and actually touched my nose to the soap in the tub trying too! Which planet am I on today?

I'm not sure if I can trust Jims nose haha, so we need a tie breaker! @JCarr, you're up! :001_tongu

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Allow me to be of assistance.

VITOS Extra Super Coco Shaving Soap - https://www.connaughtshaving.com/648556.html

100ml/$4USD plus shipping. Cheap at twice the price.

Thats the exact opposite to my experience. I can barely smell Cella Bio and actually touched my nose to the soap in the tub trying too! Which planet am I on today?

I'm not sure if I can trust Jims nose haha, so we need a tie breaker! @JCarr, you're up! :001_tongu

Cella Red I can smell quite easily. If you like that Amaretto type scent though, you should try this Moon Soaps product:

moon-soaps-shaving-cream-amaretto-speciale.jpg

The scent of this is like Cella Red on steroids!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Cella Red I can smell quite easily. If you like that Amaretto type scent though, you should try this Moon Soaps product:

View attachment 1136240

The scent of this is like Cella Red on steroids!

If it smells anything like Almonds, I wont like it. I've only encountered one smell that can turn my stomach quicker.

Vito's and Cella Bio, to me, smell like plain white cake frosting a little heavy on the icing sugar. Possibly made with salt water. Light, clean and fresh.

Cella Bio scent strength would be a 2. Maybe a 3. Vitos, 11!

Thinking about it now, I'm collecting a pretty good group of top shelf soaps and creams. I have 12 in rotation now that will last me years and waiting for one more, Southern Witchcrafts Anthropophagy, that I now see is out of stock. I got in at just the right time. Maggard has one left. They had 7 when I made my order.

Now I'm faced with another dilemma, 13. I cant have 13 soaps/creams on my shelf...

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Vito's and Cella Bio, to me, smell like plain white cake frosting a little heavy on the icing sugar. Possibly made with salt water. Light, clean and fresh.
That is what I get from Vitos, not having Cella Bio in my stash as of yet......... I think I have passed the dozen soap threshold, thinking I might have enough to make it to the end of the year............

thombrogan

thinking I might have enough to make it to the end of the year............

Heretical talk! Track down a puck of Mitchells Wool Fat forthwith! (being sure to ask that you want a puck produced with mutton tallow and lanolin from non-Belgian sheep in case some Scots have imported such livestock to irk Raven)

Top Bottom