What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'd take one in gold but I'd end up breaking my sink when it slipped from my fingers shaking it out haha.

1594318966348.png

I tried.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday my shave was very nice.

7-10-20.FOCS.Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG

Other than being somewhat smaller than I'd prefer this is a fabulous brush. Not that it's too small for me to like and use. It lathers amazingly easily and is in all respects a really really nice brush.

Polsilver Flipped & Great (meme).jpg

Nice kit all around.

HyaluronicAcidForFaces.480.jpg

Forgot to apply a splash this morning. I like a bit of scent so maybe something later?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday I shaved again. Let's see, counting all the shaves in my lifetime that's shave #

That's a damn good question.

7-11-20.FOCS.Chubby2.Vitos.640.JPGPolsilver Flipped & Great (meme).jpgBeach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Nothing newsworthy, but another good shave is worth a mention, right? It's not like every shave in my life has been as good as all of them are these days.

Happy shaves to you, sir,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday my shave was good. Like it usually is.

7-2-20.FOCS.Vitos.Mistura.640.JPG

Really good kit today.

Thater.70:30.New.1stShave.480.4-29-30.JPG

No, I didn't use this ^ kit. I'm continuing the off-rotation break in process of the 70/30 knot.

Excellent blade.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Great scent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Do you think you will go back to using straights?

Good question.

It's hard to predict the future, but my shaves with the FOCS are as comfortable as my shaves with the straights were + the FOCS shaves are easier and faster and closer.

The big plus for me with straights was comfort.

I have no plans to abandon the Fatip anytime soon. It's just too good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I used my best kit.

7-13-20.Z-Man.Viotos.FOCS.640.JPG

This is my very favorite brush. Zenith Manchurian 28mm.

Two.Zenith.Manchurians.1-5-19.480..jpg

The smaller Zenith 27.5mm Manchurian ^ knot is good, too, but not quite as good as the 28mm. At least that's the story on mine (and I know nothing about any others).

Still kicking.

3-12-20.BayRum & Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Yummy scent. HA is great stuff.

Delightful shave today.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was very good.

7-8-20.Mistura.FOCS.Vitos.640.JPG

This ^ photo is from days ago and not new, but this is kit worth using again and again. I really like every component of this kit. Very nice brush, for instance, Mike @Esox.

Enablers R Us employee of the month.jpg

Yes, I work at it.

Going strong, this Polsilver SI...

HyaluronicAcid.PumpBottle.1-7-20.480.JPG

Forgot to apply a splash (and was in a hurry this morning). Fortunately I have some splashes in my office, so I'll likely apply a scent in a little while.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Today I used my best kit.

View attachment 1125039

This is my very favorite brush. Zenith Manchurian 28mm.

View attachment 1125041

The smaller Zenith 27.5mm Manchurian ^ knot is good, too, but not quite as good as the 28mm. At least that's the story on mine (and I know nothing about any others).

View attachment 1125042

Still kicking.

View attachment 1125043

Yummy scent. HA is great stuff.

Delightful shave today.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I’m surprised that Zeniths are not more popular. The horse and boar I have are considerably superior to other brushes I have Used. Nice brushes Jim.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
"Is that Polsilver still new?"
~Big Nurse (asking for a friend)

1594814304319.png

I’m surprised that Zeniths are not more popular. The horse and boar I have are considerably superior to other brushes I have Used. Nice brushes Jim.

Thanks.

1594815416382.png

Me, too, John. The only criticisms I've ever seen of Zenith brushes mention the handles not being fancy or attractive or something like that. Most everyone likes the knots.

I'd say the Zenith handles I've personally purchased have been fine handles albeit utilitarian and functional rather than beautiful. That suits me as I buy brushes for reasons other than aesthetics for the most part. That said, Zenith makes several brushes with handles ^ which look vastly better (to my eye) than their norm; the prices are considerably higher too which has always caused me to pick a less expensive option from the Zenith shaving brush selection, so far.

There are many brush manufacturers whose wares I've not tried so I can't say for sure their brushes aren't vastly better than the Zenith horse, boars, silvertip, and Manchurians I own. However, too many times I've purchased a brush, used it a bit, and found myself thinking that for the same money or thereabouts I could have gotten myself another Zenith Manchurian.

I think it would be interesting to compare my Zenith copper handled Manchurian with a Simpson Manchurian, but I'm not fixing to spend over $300 to run the experiment.

1594815492251.png

I sometimes toy with the notion of getting the 31mm, ^ version of their Manchurian, but I don't like the instructions that they might need to be babied (which I've seen on one of the vendor's websites), and I've not been strongly drawn to them. Appearance wise, the handle in the above photo looks nice to me.

However, the 28mm Manchurian is a great size in my opinion. It's hard to imagine the 31mm knot being more to my liking.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I think it would be interesting to compare my Zenith copper handled Manchurian with a Simpson Manchurian, but I'm not fixing to spend over $300 to run the experiment.
C'mon Jim, everyone should own at least one Simpson......... I got a PJ2 I'll trade for a Chubby...............

View attachment 1125829

Thanks.

View attachment 1125837
I'd say the Zenith handles I've personally purchased have been fine handles albeit utilitarian and functional rather than beautiful. That suits me as I buy brushes for reasons other than aesthetics for the most part.

I love the beautiful handles. As my brush experience increases. A good working knot diminishes most of the handle feeling. My handles are varied. If the knot is working well I just feel the knot. The brushes I got rid of I could feel the handle more than the knot. Your Pastel Handle Rocks.

However, the 28mm Manchurian is a great size in my opinion. It's hard to imagine the 31mm knot being more to my liking.
Here’s one for you Jim. My 28mm Horse feels more like a 26mm when using. My Chubby boar 28mm feels more like a 26mm when using. My two band 28mm badger looks and feels like 30mm+ . I’m speaking of their footprint before splaying. They are all so unique and fabulous brushes. Of course I have not used very many brushes. Do you get that feedback with some brushes? I also find that my two band requires more combing than the horse after a three shave use.

Me, too, John. The only criticisms I've ever seen of Zenith brushes mention the handles not being fancy or attractive or something like that. Most everyone likes the knots.

I'd say the Zenith handles I've personally purchased have been fine handles albeit utilitarian and functional rather than beautiful. That suits me as I buy brushes for reasons other than aesthetics for the most part. That said, Zenith makes several brushes with handles ^ which look vastly better (to my eye) than their norm; the prices are considerably higher too which has always caused me to pick a less expensive option from the Zenith shaving brush selection, so far.

There are many brush manufacturers whose wares I've not tried so I can't say for sure their brushes aren't vastly better than the Zenith horse, boars, silvertip, and Manchurians I own. However, too many times I've purchased a brush, used it a bit, and found myself thinking that for the same money or thereabouts I could have gotten myself another Zenith Manchurian.

View attachment 1125838

I sometimes toy with the notion of getting the 31mm, ^ version of their Manchurian, but I don't like the instructions that they might need to be babied (which I've seen on one of the vendor's websites), and I've not been strongly drawn to them. Appearance wise, the handle in the above photo looks nice to me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Attachments

• FD12C6AC-DFE3-4D76-87C4-CDA917178562.jpeg
    FD12C6AC-DFE3-4D76-87C4-CDA917178562.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 9EF1ED06-A5C7-4CEA-9FB5-B962A40014F6.jpeg
    9EF1ED06-A5C7-4CEA-9FB5-B962A40014F6.jpeg
    714 KB · Views: 5

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was very good. I skipped shaving on Wednesday (for no good reason).

7-16-20.Mistura.Vitos.FOCS.640.JPG

What a good kit!

This is a very very nice brush.

Nice blade, still.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Nice stuff.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom