What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was okay. Just okay.

6-28-20.VitosGreen.70:30.FOCS.640JPG.JPG

A couple of changes today.

Vitos Green is good, but I like Vitos Red better, and perhaps it gives me a better shave. It's hard to say, and I have no intention of trying to figure it out. Green was used today to give my new Red a chance to air out a bit.

I noticed zero scent with my Green.

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg

Started over with a new blade today. Twenty shaves seemed like just enough on the blade I discarded this morning.

At any rate, I got a slight nick on my lower lip (not in the soul patch area) and needed a little help with it.

Parker.Alum.Block.alum block.480.3-8-19.JPG

Couldn't find my styptic pencil right then (found it later) so I used an alum block. I also used the alum block over my entire face and neck post shave for no particular reason. It didn't burn.

After rinsing the alum and letting my skin air dry some I followed the usual procedure.

3-12-20.BayRum & Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Probably, uh, certainly there was a time when I would have called this a very good shave, but times have changed.

1593360167349.png

Not that my face is on fire. Perhaps I'll be burned down soon, but Mr. S&W says otherwise.

30th shave with my Maggard 70/30 knot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

@Esox and @Chan Eil Whiskers: I received a kilo of vitos red with coconut oil added a few days ago with some new boar brushes and the lo storto originale from Connaught. The boars are still breaking in (Connaught Jade omega and a Semogue 830 I think). The Vitos red to me is a very excellent soap. Very concentrated. Im going to try 20 swirls on the soap today, 30 swirls with my paladin has been providing way too much soap and clogging up the brush. Very slick, enough cushion, not drying. Not an excellent post shave but I'll take not drying for $15 per kilo lol. The scent seems to be troubling Jim. I rather enjoy the scent as it is. I detect a very faint coconut scent, but it is far overpowered by the marzipan/almond/cherry like scent that the benzaldehyde gives the soap. Less sickeningly sweet smelling than cella by a bit. I'm told I smell like an almond cookie after using it.

The lo storto has not been as big of a hit with me. Likely need to keep trying out different blades but the shark platinum and rapira platinum lux both did not provide very good shaves. Not very close and multiple weepers. Top cap posts on the originale are much better (originale in foreground and gentile in background). Still not soldered fully flush with top cap but nearly so. So, alignment is a bit better with the originale. Don't know that it really changes the shave very much either way.

Overall, good purchase from Connaught and happy I'm getting to try this stuff out. Vitos red is very excellent. I vacuum sealed the other chunks of the kilo so that it wouldn't degrade over time. Oh and Mike: definitely a putty consistency. I took a 200g hunk and pressed it into a 200g GFT tub without any issue.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Esox and @Chan Eil Whiskers: I received a kilo of vitos red with coconut oil added a few days ago with some new boar brushes and the lo storto originale from Connaught. The boars are still breaking in (Connaught Jade omega and a Semogue 830 I think). The Vitos red to me is a very excellent soap. Very concentrated. Im going to try 20 swirls on the soap today, 30 swirls with my paladin has been providing way too much soap and clogging up the brush. Very slick, enough cushion, not drying. Not an excellent post shave but I'll take not drying for $15 per kilo lol. The scent seems to be troubling Jim. I rather enjoy the scent as it is. I detect a very faint coconut scent, but it is far overpowered by the marzipan/almond/cherry like scent that the benzaldehyde gives the soap. Less sickeningly sweet smelling than cella by a bit. I'm told I smell like an almond cookie after using it.

The lo storto has not been as big of a hit with me. Likely need to keep trying out different blades but the shark platinum and rapira platinum lux both did not provide very good shaves. Not very close and multiple weepers. Top cap posts on the originale are much better (originale in foreground and gentile in background). Still not soldered fully flush with top cap but nearly so. So, alignment is a bit better with the originale. Don't know that it really changes the shave very much either way.

Overall, good purchase from Connaught and happy I'm getting to try this stuff out. Vitos red is very excellent. I vacuum sealed the other chunks of the kilo so that it wouldn't degrade over time. Oh and Mike: definitely a putty consistency. I took a 200g hunk and pressed it into a 200g GFT tub without any issue.

Can the better top cap be used with both bases and handles?

Steep angles work best in my experience with this razor, Joel. I have no idea how sensitive to blade selection the razor is as all I use in any DE razor is the Polsilver; it just suits me. I've not had a single weeper, and only a couple of tiny nicks.

Probably my use of hyaluronic acid has greatly changed how much I notice and care about the post shave and post post shave from the soap. My skin is seldom dry now, and, if it is, I just apply more HA later in the day.

I'm not a fan of the marzipan scent, but I'm sure it will dissipate. I'll find out how quickly as time goes on. It's not a worry for me.

Not everyone says this so it may vary, but I found the Jade Omega to take a while to really break in. I liked it fine from the beginning but it got a whole lot better over time as it developed split ends.

Congratulations on all the new gear.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Can the better top cap be used with both bases and handles?

Steep angles work best in my experience with this razor, Joel. I have no idea how sensitive to blade selection the razor is as all I use in any DE razor is the Polsilver; it just suits me. I've not had a single weeper, and only a couple of tiny nicks.

Probably my use of hyaluronic acid has greatly changed how much I notice and care about the post shave and post post shave from the soap. My skin is seldom dry now, and, if it is, I just apply more HA later in the day.

I'm not a fan of the marzipan scent, but I'm sure it will dissipate. I'll find out how quickly as time goes on. It's not a worry for me.

Not everyone says this so it may vary, but I found the Jade Omega to take a while to really break in. I liked it fine from the beginning but it got a whole lot better over time as it developed split ends.

Congratulations on all the new gear.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I think that the better top cap can be used interchangeably and I plan to do that. I also recently obtained a flat bottom British tech and Raised Flat Bottom British NEW. I haven't been using them with the new kit yet but will likely do so in the near future. Forgot to mention I also bought a number or SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium blades, Personna platinums (personna reds) and the 7 o'clock super stainless greens. I haven't been able to source any more polsilvers so I don't want to get used to using them. I currently only have 4 left, would be a shame to love them and never be able to use them. I'll be doing some further testing but these three blades have always worked well for me in most of my razors. The 7 o clock greens often have a bit more blade presence than I like in my aggressive razors, but do exceptionally well in mild razors like the tech. I had intended on waiting to buy in bulk once I did my slant shave off and blade testing, but wanted to get to free shipping and I know I like the personnas and 7 o clock greens. The blue diamonds are the wild card, but I remember liking them ok and I was a very bad shaver when I last used them. They may substitute well for polsilvers (although they're also now unobtanium). Got loads to play with, and a den that just expanded prior to a major sell down. I have so many razors that I can't use anywhere near all of them, and way way too many soaps. The Vitos has changed my outlook and opinion of soaps quite a lot. I plan on divesting myself of most of the soaps, keeping just a few that I like for the scent only. And then purging everything else. I should have looked into a kilo of Italian soft soap earlier like I intended, but c'est la vie. I'm glad you posted about the Vitos, Jim, and convinced me to take the plunge with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I detect a very faint coconut scent, but it is far overpowered by the marzipan/almond/cherry like scent that the benzaldehyde gives the soap. Less sickeningly sweet smelling than cella by a bit. I'm told I smell like an almond cookie after using it.

I can almost smell that thick sickly sweet scent just reading your words Joel. Just thinking about it my stomach is wincing lol. Not what I wanted to hear but thats okay because...

Oh and Mike: definitely a putty consistency. I took a 200g hunk and pressed it into a 200g GFT tub without any issue.

This is very good news. I have two small bottles of very potent perfume oils. One Sandalwood and one thats no longer made called Rain, that is very close to my exact thought of an aqua type scent.

Once the base scent has lifted somewhat, 1-2 drops of either while working it on a board should sort it out. If it does work out that way and I do like the performance, I'll order the block and do the same.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have two small bottles of very potent perfume oils. One Sandalwood and one thats no longer made called Rain, that is very close to my exact thought of an aqua type scent. Once the base scent (of Vitos) has lifted somewhat (from air exposure), 1-2 drops of either while working it on a board should sort it out. If it does work out that way and I do like the performance, I'll order the block and do the same.

Very interesting idea, Mike. I'd think it should work.

Joel @Johnnynroy, 7 O'Clock Russian Greens and the Blue Diamond are blades I used to use before I discovered the Polsilver. I recall them being quite good.

Polsilvers are available albeit very expensive. I bought a few hundred, 400 I think, when they were still cheap, and rumors of their demise, which I'd bought into, were widely discredited. I still have a great many. I've only used a few, but I've given away more than I probably should have thinking I'd not use a DE razor again.

The Wizemet SI is said to be an excellent substitute. Everyone says they're exactly the same as the Polsilver SI, or better. My understanding is they will be available in quantity again from this source. I ordered 750 of them, on the advice of various members, sight unseen, so I've made a bet they're excellent blades.

I just checked my order to look at the tracking. My order was definitely accepted (as was my money) on June 10th, but it doesn't appear to have been shipped yet. I hope that doesn't indicated a problem with the vendor or the supply chain for the actual blades, but it's not like I'm fixing to run out of the Polsilver.

I'm very glad to find I'm not the only one who finds Vitos Red Cocco an excellent soap. One never knows, right?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mike @Esox, not a chance on the Feather.

I already know I'd like the Feather's shave until later in the day. The Feather blade just doesn't get along well with my skin. Every Feather shave is good until it converts into a Damn UnComfortable Shave.

Admittedly, you could be right (meaning that was then and this is now), but I'm not willing to risk a day of discomfort to try a blade which is both expensive and known to deliver only a couple or three shaves before it has to be discarded. There are simply too many good and excellent blades I like better than Feathers; all are less expensive, longer lasting, and much more comfortable.

It's not like I'm low on good blades.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was very good.

1593450602302.png

It's shave #2 on this new Polsilver.

6-29-20.FOCS.VitosRed.Chubby2.640.Best.JPG

As Joel pointed out earlier, Vitos Red contains benzaldehyde which causes it to have, probably intentionally, a marzipan scent.

1593450904286.png

Fortunately, the scent isn't very strong, and, even better, it's volatile and subject to dissipation. Today, following a 48 hour or so period where the open tub was unused, the scent was considerably less strong. I noticed it a little bit during my shave, but not to the degree that it was bothersome, and not to the degree I did on Saturday. Once the scent has diminishing by another 50% I think it will be a total nothing burger for me. Already I can smell the very faint coconut scent almost as well as I can smell the benzaldehyde scent (marzipan).

That should be very good news to you, Mike @Esox.

Next time I begin with a fresh chunk of Vitos I'll let the chunk sit out in the open air for a few days before using it, and massage it a bit here and there to expose various bits of it to the surface air. That should do the trick.

I particularly enjoyed using the Chubby 2 in Best. I wasn't paying much attention to its pokiness, which might mean the bad scritch is turning into good scritch (or it might mean I just wasn't paying much attention).

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

I certainly am enjoying this scent, the Beach.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That should be very good news to you, Mike @Esox.

Next time I begin with a fresh chunk of Vitos I'll let the chunk sit out in the open air for a few days before using it, and massage it a bit here and there to expose various bits of it to the surface air. That should do the trick.

Yep it is.

Working it like a dough would release that scent all the quicker. I have to wonder though if maybe its much ado about nothing haha.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday my shave was good.

6-30-20.VitosRed.70:30.FOCS.640.JPG

This was my 31st shave with the 70/30 knot. It is clearly breaking in, but has many many split ends not yet developed at all so I think it will improve even more from here. It's still pokey when touched to my skin, but used as I think a brush should be used - splayed or used as a paint brush, both being part of my regimen - the knot is fine. It's very scrubby and fun to use.

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg

Shave #3 with this blade.

1593532628178.png

I can - hearing voices and reading minds being very BOSC - hear Mike @Esox asking a question. To answer it, Mike, the soap didn't seem to have any scent today. In other words I didn't notice a scent. To be fully transparent I wasn't actually trying to appreciate a scent, but an unnoticeable scent doesn't seem like much of a scent at all to me. I'll continue to monitor it (kinda sorta) and let you and Joel @Johnnynroy know if it resurfaces enough to be of concern to me.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Speaking of scents, this one rocks.

Yesterday I ordered two more bottles of Beach (but not from Italian Barber as it's actually a PAA product). I will need more before the summer is over and have no idea how fast or slow shipping might be. I included in the order a jug of Atomic Age Bay Rum as I'm into my last bottle of that great splash, and figured I might as well place an order large enough for free shipping.

Beach.Od&New.Bottles.1&2.480.7-13-19..JPGCrownKing.BayRum.Jug.Bottle.480.11-12-18.JPG

It's not like I'm going to quit loving these two scents.

I like the older, rounded bottles better. Where did I put the older Beach bottle? Hope I didn't foolishly throw it away. I'm not searching for it but I'll keep an eye peeled.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Reactions: Cal

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I can - hearing voices and reading minds being very BOSC - hear Mike @Esox asking a question. To answer it, Mike, the soap didn't seem to have any scent today.

You're right, I do have a question. That, however, wasnt it. You're listening to the wrong voices, although I do appreciate the information.

The question I had in mind though, was regarding this;

Shave #3 with this blade.

Is that blade still 'new'?

i-am-not-an-instigator.jpg

:)

• Haha
Reactions: Cal

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
6-30-20.SOC.Mistura.New.640.JPG

New brush arrived today from across the pond. Semogue SOC Misture (mixed badger and boar).

The color is much darker than I expected; I like the color a lot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom