What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
My brush follows me after shaving into a room that currently enjoys air-conditioning. It dries and judges me.

Speaking of judgement, I noticed your photogenic aphid-eaters don’t have the same urinary tract issues as Gnomes du Nederland. Is it because chocolate insects are heartier than resin-cast humanoids, the dangers of Salter shaving cream outweighing the healthfulness of Vitos Extra Scrappy Coco*, or the gnomes’ closer proximity to the Atlantic Ocean?

*= known by some as “Vitos Extra Super Coco” and others as “Vitos Extra Super Rosso+

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My brush follows me after shaving into a room that currently enjoys air-conditioning. It dries and judges me.

Speaking of judgement, I noticed your photogenic aphid-eaters don’t have the same urinary tract issues as Gnomes du Nederland. Is it because chocolate insects are heartier than resin-cast humanoids, the dangers of Salter shaving cream outweighing the healthfulness of Vitos Extra Scrappy Coco*, or the gnomes’ closer proximity to the Atlantic Ocean?

*= known by some as “Vitos Extra Super Coco” and others as “Vitos Extra Super Rosso+

My bugs are socially appropriate and well mannered. Besides that, they know I'm a brutal tyrant demanding obedience as well as good luck. Rave's gnomes are barely potty trained and have him wrapped.

Right, Rave @Raven Koenes? Who lets their gnomes behave this way?

1592589871034.png

At least they're modest and/or fearful of being put on the registry. Truth is we don't actually know what Rave's gnomes are doing in spite of what looks fairly obvious.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday my shave was good.

6-20-20.Vitos.ChubbyBest.FOCS.640.JPG

Good kit.

5-25-20.Chubby2-in Best & Maggard 70:30.640.JPG

These two brushes, the Chubby 2 in Best and the Maggard 70/30, feel much the same, especially in terms of their current pokiness. However, once I splay the knot on my face both are very comfortable. They're also fine painting. Which do I like better?

1592675584282.png

What a blade!

3-12-20.BayRum & Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

This except my bottle of BR is full again (but my jug of BR is empty).

Nice shave + I trimmed my hair a little bit.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Father's Day shave was as good as I'd hoped.

6-21-20.FOCS.70:30.VitosRed.640.JPG

Today's shave is the 26th shave with this 70/30 knot! I'm about ready for it to really break in!

Not that I don't like it, but where are the split ends? When does the pokiness go away?

The brush is a tad damp in the photo because I managed to drop it in the wet sink.

1592758020812.png

The Polsilver is still going strong. My plan is to Excalibur it. Maybe not to the degree some do, but I want to find out how long it can last (and satisfy me). Just because.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

What a nice splash. (The thumbnail can be enlarged by clicking on it.)

Happy shaves and happy Father's Day,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday my shave was as good as usual.

6-22-20.FOCS.70:30.VitosRed.640.JPG

Nothing different. That might have something to do with the results, right?

1592834062393.png

Blade included.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Moisturizer (hyaluronic acid), face and skin treatment (hyaluronic acid) and splash included.

When I checked the knot on yesterday's brush it was dry so I used it again. This is the 27th shave with the 70/30 knot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My Father's Day shave was as good as I'd hoped.

View attachment 1115973

Today's shave is the 26th shave with this 70/30 knot! I'm about ready for it to really break in!

Not that I don't like it, but where are the split ends? When does the pokiness go away?

The brush is a tad damp in the photo because I managed to drop it in the wet sink.

View attachment 1115979

The Polsilver is still going strong. My plan is to Excalibur it. Maybe not to the degree some do, but I want to find out how long it can last (and satisfy me). Just because.

View attachment 1115983

What a nice splash. (The thumbnail can be enlarged by clicking on it.)

Happy shaves and happy Father's Day,

Jim
I don't think badgers break in or their hairs split? That's been my experience. I could be wrong? All my badgers feel the same as when I bought them. My Fatip Pure Badger is the scritchiest for scrub. When I'm in the right mood for it it's fantastic. On the plus side it is the best brush for painting that I own. The knot is not big, but the loft is very high.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Would 70/30 mean 30% of Jim’s bristles of a porcine nature?

Exactly so.

I don't think badgers break in or their hairs split? That's been my experience. I could be wrong? All my badgers feel the same as when I bought them. My Fatip Pure Badger is the scritchiest for scrub. When I'm in the right mood for it it's fantastic. On the plus side it is the best brush for painting that I own. The knot is not big, but the loft is very high.

In my view badgers do in fact break in. My Zenith Manchurian being a prime example; it has 100% broken in and become soft according to my experience of it. Other of my badgers particularly two bands have "broken in" or changed over time.

The Maggard 70/30 has hairs some of which are very dark (black). I've been told those, particularly the black hairs, break in over about 30 or so shaves; I'm testing that theory.

I'm also awaiting split ends on the boar bristles in the 70/30. I see none so far.

Not that I actually know anything, but those are my observations and thoughts.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Exactly so.

In my view badgers do in fact break in. My Zenith Manchurian being a prime example; it has 100% broken in and become soft according to my experience of it. Other of my badgers particularly two bands have "broken in" or changed over time.

The Maggard 70/30 has hairs some of which are very dark (black). I've been told those, particularly the black hairs, break in over about 30 or so shaves; I'm testing that theory.

I'm also awaiting split ends on the boar bristles in the 70/30. I see none so far.

Not that I actually know anything, but those are my observations and thoughts.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Who is the knot manufacturer, Jim? I am personally considering a Semogue mistura knot. They currently make a SOC handle version for a bit under $65. I have only begun my research, and you likely have done far more on this topic than I. From my more recent experiences with brushes, (no new ones, just rediscovering old current ones) I am finding that the brushes from brushmakers known for high quality are performing better than their less expensive counterparts. I have an omega Jade in transit, as well as a few other boar brushes, to test this theory. I am holding on more badger brushes, as I think a mixed badger would be right up my alley. I wonder if a Semogue mistura would end up being better than what you are currently using? Semogue's do have an extended break in time, so it likely wouldn't be any closer to broken in than you currently are. Just my random scattered thoughts today on the topic.

Enjoy the shaves,
Joel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Who is the knot manufacturer, Jim? I am personally considering a Semogue mistura knot. They currently make a SOC handle version for a bit under $65. I have only begun my research, and you likely have done far more on this topic than I. From my more recent experiences with brushes, (no new ones, just rediscovering old current ones) I am finding that the brushes from brushmakers known for high quality are performing better than their less expensive counterparts. I have an omega Jade in transit, as well as a few other boar brushes, to test this theory. I am holding on more badger brushes, as I think a mixed badger would be right up my alley. I wonder if a Semogue mistura would end up being better than what you are currently using? Semogue's do have an extended break in time, so it likely wouldn't be any closer to broken in than you currently are. Just my random scattered thoughts today on the topic.

Enjoy the shaves,
Joel

Joel, thanks for your comments. I may have inadvertently given the impression that I like the 70/30 less than I do. I like the brush a good bit. But, I want it to "break in" more. I also think it will break in more, and have been told (by other owners of the brush) it will (or that theirs did).

1592854872628.png

In transit I have a butterscotch ^ Mistura. I'd rather it be 26 mm or even 28 mm, but it is what it is. I expect to enjoy it.

Perhaps I should have bought the Semogue LE Mistura in 26 mm, but I disliked the look of the handle. Now they're unobtanium.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Joel, thanks for your comments. I may have inadvertently given the impression that I like the 70/30 less than I do. I like the brush a good bit. But, I want it to "break in" more. I also think it will break in more, and have been told (by other owners of the brush) it will (or that theirs did).

View attachment 1116497

In transit I have a butterscotch ^ Mistura. I'd rather it be 26 mm or even 28 mm, but it is what it is. I expect to enjoy it.

Perhaps I should have bought the Semogue LE Mistura in 26 mm, but I disliked the look of the handle. Now they're unobtanium.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Joel, I should add that the Semogue LE 26mm Mistura is more highly reviewed than the SOC Mistura by the few people I've read who have both, but I don't hear anybody not liking the SOC version. The prices from the Portugal vendors seem to be the best I've found (depending on shipping). Here's a link to the brush I purchased.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday my kit worked well.

1592918584914.png

Today's shave with the Polsilver was better than yesterday's or the day before's; the blade went through a rough spot relatively speaking on its way to Excalibur.

Where exactly is Excalibur?

6-23-20.Chubby2.FOCS.VitosRed.640.JPG

This is a terrific razor, brush, and soap!

HyaluronicAcid.PumpBottle.1-7-20.480.JPG

I forgot to apply a splash, but may apply one at the office.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
5-25-20.Chubby2-in Best & Maggard 70:30.640.JPG

The 70/30 wasn't quite dry this morning so I used the Chubby. I noticed a few split ends in the 70/30.

Finally!

I'd noticed a slight change in the brush's feel yesterday, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom