What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Wednesday shave was good.

3-2-20.FixedFour.Kit.640.JPG

I was in a hurry so this is a picture previously posted. Sorry.

Kinda thought I didn't need a shave but realized I wanted one if I was leaving the house. So I shaved quickly before going to Costco and the bank, etc. I like to be presentable. Being freshly shaved may not be something anyone else notices as opposed to having had a good shave yesterday and probably being decently groomed, but I like to know I've made the effort, etc.

It was a good if quick shave.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

This is a very nice scent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This escapes me, but much does.

I think it's probably a British thing. When people of my age and older hear the word 'exceedingly', Mr Kipling cakes is likely to be the first thing they think of. "Mr Kipling makes exceedingly good cakes!"

Exceedingly is a great word but one not heard often enough, just as Ellie Driver says about the word gargantuan in this brilliant scene from Kill Bill.

Catastrophic is another one of those words, which I read for the first time in a long time right here at B&B.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Good move scratching out “very” and avoiding a glaring redundancy. I’m very proud of you now. :c9:

A gargantuan redundancy wasn't in the cards. Only a catastrophic lapse would compel me to use very and exceedingly together in that context or any other context I can imagine at the moment.

I do love to strike through words.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
A gargantuan redundancy wasn't in the cards. Only a catastrophic lapse would compel me to use very and exceedingly together in that context or any other context I can imagine at the moment.

I do love to strike through words.
I Love words as well. Good to meet someone else with the same affliction.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was acceptable.

3-12-20.Vitos.CopMan.136.FixedKit.640.JPG

Certainly not my best effort. Not sure why, but it doesn't matter much.

3-12-20.BayRum & Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

My skin feels good and I smell great. That counts for something.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday my shave was good enough.

3-13-20.Kit.Fixed.136.Vitos.Cop-Man.640.JPG

I'm gradually determining how to better shave my chin. The problem is white whiskers I can't see during the shave. My shaves are good enough that there are very few not being whacked, so few I can't feel them during the shave, but, still, I have a plan.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Good kit and good enough shave. Good enough is better than good enough used to be.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was simple and good.

3-14-20.Fixed.136.Vitos.CopperManchurian.640.JPG

Prior to today's shave the razor received a bit of attention...

3-14-20.136Torrey.Snap.DCA.Hard.640.JPG

...in the form of honing on the hard, finishing side of my Double Convex Arkansas 8x3. Only twenty round trips.

I'm not entirely sure the edge needed this. It's not like it was dull or anything. However, the edge clearly benefitted so I suppose honing a little bit was apropos.

I shaved S-N + a bit more on my chin and lips + I trimmed the sideburns (N-S). That's it. Very simple shave.

HyaluronicAcidForFaces.480.jpg

No splash yet, but I'll probably use one.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Thursday shave was good.

3-2-20.FixedFour.Kit.640.JPG

Sorry for the photo repeat, but I'm dealing with a lot these days.

Still, I got a good shave, which is a very good thing.

3-12-20.BayRum & Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Plus, my skin feels great and I smell good even to myself.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was good.

3-20-20.Kit.Fixed.Vitos.136.Cop-Man.640.JPG

I would like to be able to see my whiskers better during the shave. They're white, or at least the ones I sometimes miss on my chin and lower lip are. I'm not complaining about my shaves, but they could be better and would be if the whiskers were more visible during the shave. I get the vast majority of 'em, but not all.

I'm working on technique, too, of course.

Hyaluronic Acid & PAA BayRum.640.3-12-20.JPG

Yummy scent. Crown King Bay Rum is wonderful stuff!

I like this soap so much I just ordered the 1000 ml block from Connaught. That's a lot of soap, but who knows if it will be available down the road we're on.

Happy shaves and be safe,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
And now for the six additional "snap-to-close Torrey 136s" to make up your seven day set. :laugh: :devil: :letterk1:

I get it, Cal, but I really don't want a seven day set of matching razors.

One nice seven day set showed up on eBay some months ago at a probably good price, a price within my budget had I really wanted it. I thought about bidding on it or buying it then. I think another B&B member bought it. I decided against it. That doesn't mean I wouldn't take one were it offered free or for a few pence, but I have no desire for a matching seven day set.

Minimalism or a padded room? (meme).jpg

My days of buying a lot of straights are over. I'm only even considering straights which fit certain standards, are mint or near mint, are NOS (and not junky NOS), and are very good values. Even then, there are few I'd buy for any significant money. Most I'd not buy for a nickel.

There is one vendor whose wares I look at carefully. I trust him and have gotten from him some razors I think very nice. Even there I'm watching my pennies and asking myself some hard questions like wouldn't I really rather buy another brush (like I need a brush!)

I have more than I need and more than I'm interested in honing. I've discovered how few I need. I know I have more really nice razors than a shaver needs. I've not even gotten all of my really nice razors to a shave ready state, much less the ones not at that level of niceness. I've been, thanks to my homework and the available information and some luck, fortunate to not buy many razors which turned out to be junk, but some are better than others and I've learned which razors I prefer (such as the 136).

1584888973577.png

One the other hand, I would like, over time, to hone to perfection a set of seven nice razors for each of my three sons and for at least one of my grandsons. Perhaps sets for all four of my grandsons. Perhaps for all those guys and for the current husband of one granddaughter and the the future husband of my daughter. Perhaps even for the future husbands of my other two granddaughters. So, it's possible I might need more razors.

Actually I've not counted my razors or done the math, but as lazy as I am these projects are not necessarily realistic.

I'd be very satisfied with just four or five good sets of seven non matching razors, and certainly don't need that many for my own use.

1584888464883.png

I've not counted my Torrey 136 razors. I have a few, but I think not seven. So, there is that, but I certainly don't care that the seven I have match even if I have or accumulate that many of the 136.

I believe a guy who can maintain his own edge probably only really needs one straight razor and perhaps a spare in case the razor is dropped. A non damaged sharp razor is easy to maintain. A damaged edge isn't. Getting rid of a chip and resetting the bevel takes too long to do before one's morning shave for work.

Probably way too much information.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom