What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim has enough dreams for all of us!

1575921570023.png

I prefer a refreshing aftershave like Speick to make my face feel good after a shave. I use to use WH after a rough shave but after reading post #16 I may never use it again.

I think my face is changing. I have been conditioning it with too much Pinaud Clubman. I need something stronger. Floris doesn't have the invigorating effect it used to anymore. I would be in for jalapeno.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I think my face is changing. I have been conditioning it with too much Pinaud Clubman. I need something stronger. Floris doesn't have the invigorating effect it used to anymore. I would be in for jalapeno.
Thank you! I think Jim came up with the perfect name for the line: Face on Fire.

Sometimes my best ideas seem to come in a flash.
1898171_10205085578115567_8630818589432874496_n.jpg

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday my shave was very good indeed.

12-10-19,WideTorrey.DB.ProPro.Kit.640.JPG

I did a good bit of work during this shave, but it was easy enough to get a very good shave. Not what I'd call Dolphin Skin, but quite impressive to me.

Since my last shave with this razor I have honed it a little bit on the finishing side of the DCA. I believe that honing made a significant difference. I'm not sure the edge is maxed out yet, but it is a very very nice edge now. It was very nice before but now it's even better.

I want all my edges to be as good as this razor, and the Wade, and the Pipe Razor. Or, better, of course.

Dragonsbeard.SkinFood.Splash.HyaluronicAcid.480.JPG

I really enjoyed using my Proraso Pro brush today. I believe it may be getting even better. It took forever to break in, and I'm not sure it's 100% broken in even now, but it sure is a nice boar. It is not a fine handle (it is a cheap plastic Omega handle) but the knot is really great. I think from looking at it wet that it may be an unbleached boar (although it looks bleached when dry). At any rate, it performs and feels like a boar should.

Good kit. Good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thank you! I think Jim came up with the perfect name for the line: Face on Fire...Sometimes my best ideas seem to come in a flash.

Just hammer a couple of nails into the two flat looking holes and adjust them both at the same time with a big strong metal wrench.

1575999333407.png

As a little kid I went around a big empty room in the house hammering nails in the wide holes of all the electric sockets. There were a bunch of 'em so it was a project. A kid from across the street helped. My mom was in the room, or in the room's closet, doing laundry. Boy, did she and my father freak out when they realized I'd almost killed the neighbor's kid.

They never worried about me. Doing so would have been a 24/7 job far beyond any parents.

1575999516550.png

Rave, you and Mike, you guys come up with such good ideas.

Happy shaves to everyone,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
More work on the white Torrey 136. I've worked on it considerably in the last week or two including taking it all the way back to very coarse stones. Here's a link, but I think I've shaved with it and honed it on the DCA since then.

Torrey.White.136.Nice.Face.Blade.640.12-11-19.JPG

Today I considered taking it back to the coarse stones, but decided instead to use the soft side of the Double Convex Ark 8x3 using considerable pressure. I did a lot of work on the DCA soft side.

Following that, it was taken to the hard, black, finishing side of the DCA for many many laps.

The razor was honed for about an hour and twenty minutes on these slow stones. It was an easy project as I had the time and had my grandson to talk to while honing.

Torrey.Whitel.136.12-11-19.Good.Face.Blade.480.JPG

This Torrey 136 will receive another shave test in a few minutes. Just going by the wear patterns on the spine and how the bevel looks to me the razor is either a tad warped (like most razors or maybe more so) or has been improperly honed in the past (like so many eBay and other vintage razors).

We'll see how it goes. I do not believe for a second this is a razor I can't hone to my satisfaction.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Shave test for the above razor. Wednesday's shave. Good shave.

12-11-19.Kit.Torrey.White.136.DB.Mondail.640.JPG

I'm immediately post shave at the moment, so not the best time to assess the shave or the edge, but I'll give it a shot.

I'd say the shave was good, but not my best. I'd say the edge is improved but not maxed out. Definitely improved though I think.

I very much enjoyed the Mondial boar. Nice brush it is.

My grandson had his beard trimmed, by his other and now deceased grandfather's former barber, including a straight edge shave (not a true SR) on the back of his neck and his neck below his beard.

His skin hence was irritated and uncomfortable. He used my products (above) and was very impressed especially with the Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash. He agrees with me that Frank @Dragonsbeard did a great job including with the scent. He plans to buy the next version of the splash. Cool, huh?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was very good.

12-12-19.ERN.DB.CopperMan.Kit.640JPG.JPG

This razor, my ATOR ERN, was honed a little bit on the finishing side of the DCA since my last shave with it. It is improved as a result of that honing.

I'd say this is now an excellent edge. Not the same as the Wade edge, but much the same. Perhaps not as sharp as the Pipe Razor edge, but close.

It might be I have more work to do to max out the edge, but it's a very very good edge now.

Very good kit. Very good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was good. ATG.

12-13-19.Tanifujji.White.DB.ZenBoarCopper.640.JPG

Basically a very simple shave today - one pass, S-N, with a very little bit more on my chin and lips - about as little shaving as I ever do.

Why? Because the first pass was so good. Plus I only work until midday. If the shave turns out to be less good than it seems initially it won't much matter. If my wife wants to go somewhere tonight I can shave again if I need to. However, I think she told me she has plans with her quilting girl friend. What did she say they're doing?

Almost all the time my first pass is S-N which is more or less mostly ATG. My neck? Probably ATG would be more E-W, but that's not a skill I've mastered with the SR.

Good kit. Good shave. This Tanifuji razor has a very nice edge, but is it maxed out?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I worked on the edge of my Solid Comfort razor (which has been mentioned several times in the last week).

1576270074916.png

The last shave with it was substandard. It was honed today on both sides of the Double Convex Ark 8x3. Not a huge amount of work was done. I invested about an hour all told including stropping and minor cleanup of the honing bench.

The dining room table, but what does she know?

I'm not convinced it's any better, but I won't know much until I shave test it.

It is a very handsome little razor. Like a very nice round nosed Torrey 136 blade except German. I see no reason to think it can not be honed to my complete satisfaction, but what do I know?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was interesting.

12-14-19.SolidComfort.DB.Horse.Kit.640.JPG

During the shave I thought the Solid Comfort was not maxed out, but in the league with my standard. I think I overestimated its sharpness. The edge is very comfortable and definitely a bit improved but it's not close to sharp enough yet.

Still, the shave wasn't bad at all.

I loved using my Zenith Horse. What an interesting and good brush!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Saturday's shave was interesting.

View attachment 1043534

During the shave I thought the Solid Comfort was not maxed out, but in the league with my standard. I think I overestimated its sharpness. The edge is very comfortable and definitely a bit improved but it's not close to sharp enough yet.

Still, the shave wasn't bad at all.

View attachment 1043535

I loved using my Zenith Horse. What an interesting and good brush!

Happy shaves,

Jim
More information on the Zenith horse please.

Top Bottom