What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sounds idyllic Jim. Are you due to go there this summer again? You need to take pictures this time.

Yes, again this summer. I'll take more pictures, too. There's a lot to take pictures of. Just the usual beach things - boats, beach, ocean, inland waterway, birds, rabbits, sea oats, plenty of sand, the occasional kite - they provide plenty of opportunities for anyone who likes snapping photos.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave started the work week off right.

7-22-19.Wade.Kit.640.GDMB.StirlingFan.JPG

This Wade has always been one of my favorite razors. For a number of months it was without scales (the broken scales I bought it with having become useless). Thanks to a member who donated these replacement scales and to the many members who helped me improve my pinning skills the Wade is back in service.

I've shaved with it several times since adding these scales. It was last honed on the DCA (of course) and is sharp.

My kit included GD Preshave and Postshave. I will use both Cremo Moisturizer and a splash.

CrownKing.BayRum.Jug.Bottle.480.11-12-18.JPG

It follows the Mandarin Bay well enough.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Just realised, in my earlier post, I said I had concaved my Ark, when it should have been convexed.
I even wrote concave with an arrow on the stone! Doh!

Oh well, it's definately a convex Ark.

Shaved with my Tanifuji Three Doll last night after giving it the convex treatment.
Very nice shave indeed! Was it better after the Ark? Yes I think it was.

Going to have to try it out on more of my razors, but it's looking like i'm another one of Jarrod's disciples. Although I didn't buy my stone from him.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just realised, in my earlier post, I said I had concaved my Ark, when it should have been convexed.
I even wrote concave with an arrow on the stone! Doh!

Oh well, it's definitely a convex Ark.

Shaved with my Tanifuji Three Doll last night after giving it the convex treatment.
Very nice shave indeed! Was it better after the Ark? Yes I think it was.

Going to have to try it out on more of my razors, but it's looking like i'm another one of Jarrod's disciples. Although I didn't buy my stone from him.

Easy mistake, but imagine what it's like for someone who thinks about it this way...

upload_2019-7-23_8-11-5.png

I have never in my life heard the terms convex downward or convex upward used and hope I never do.

Good deal, Doug, on making the stone and saving Jarrod the trouble. I'm glad to see it's working for you, but according to my understanding of the stone it has to work.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was very nice.

torrey136.7-23-19.Kit.640.JPG

I did nothing special today to prep my Torrey 136 razor. Just stropping. In other words, it's not revisited a stone since I last used it. The edge is good.

My kit also included Grooming Dept Preshave and Serum, Cremo Moisturizer, and a splash.

Beach.NewBottle.480.7-13-19.JPG

I really like this summertime scent! Very tropical. What I smell is something like a coconut rum drink on a hot beach in the shade of a big umbrella listening to Bob Marley. I don't drink alcohol so I only know drinks by how my wife's drinks smell to me. Not that she drinks much at all but enough for me to gather some scent history.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I worked on sharpening a couple of razors.

3-27-19.wideTorrey.coticule (again).640.JPG

This is my wide Torrey. It was already sharp off the coticule, but now it's sharp off of the DCA (pending a shave test).

6-15-19.FredericksCeleberated.Off-DCA.Kit.640.JPG

The second razor pictured razor was decided a PITA and not a successful effort. I thought this blade was shave ready, but looking at it carefully with the loupes and especially with the Plugable USB there are little chips.

I put a ton of time and effort into fixing the edge, using various stones and methods, and basically got nowhere. I'll set it aside for now. Three hours of wasted effort is way more than I want to follow up today with more wasted effort.

Actually, I switched from trying to hone this razor to honing the Torrey so at least something good came of my efforts.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was excellent.

WideTorrey.Kit.Off-DCA.640.7-24-19JPG.JPG

This is my wide Torrey freshly sharpened on the DCA; sharpened to an even better state than it was in when it had a sharp coticule edge.

Not much work for such a good shave thus enough bonus points to nudge it into the excellent category.

Also used GD Preshave and Serum.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was excellent.

7-25-19.Torrey.Wide.Kit.640.JPG

I'm not saying today's shave was as good as a good Schick Type E-2 shave, but it was an excellent shave. This edge is as smooth as smooth can be (like there's no sharp to it), but it's also sharp as all get out. I'd say it's the perfect edge.

Grooming Dept Preshave, GD Serum, Cremo Moisturizer, and a splash rounded out my kit.

Beach.Od&New.Bottles.1&2.480.7-13-19..JPG

I like the old (rounded) bottle better.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Friday shave was excellent.

7-26-19.H.Diamond.Kit.640.JPG

Today's shave was in the league of yesterday's shave. My razor was the H.Diamond.

Alum.Cremo.SR.Serum.Preshave.480.JPG

Alum for my fingertips.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was good.

7-27-19.Kit.Kukri.640.JPG

I've not used the Kukri recently. Today it spent some time on the Norton White Translucent Convex 8x3. Nice edge!
268..png

Still counting my shaves.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was just okay.

7-28-19.SolidComfort.Kit.640.JPG

Today's razor? My newly honed Solid Comfort. I'd say the comfort was solid but the shave was marginal. Maybe it needs more time on a convexed Ark? Maybe it's max is low?

Not that today required a great shave but I'm a bit disappointed. On the other hand, I have one or two really sharp razors + this one might be more capable (and I know how to determine that).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was just okay.

Amend that.

The comfort during the shave was okay, but it's now an hour or so later. I'm feeling the shave. Usually I feel, at worst, that I've slightly overdone a shave. Not that my skin feels horrible or anywhere close to that, but I am downgrading the shave's comfort score.

Maybe a good bit more time on the convex?

Top Bottom