What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
IMG_2646.JPG IMG_2649.JPG

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I may take better pictures of one or two of these razors when I have more time. The Tech is particularly outstanding, but, really, all of these razors look far better than any picture I'm likely to take with my phone.

My wife won't let me use her nice camera. Besides, no reason for her to know about all the razors just yet. Bet I'm the only guy with that problem.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I may take better pictures of one or two of these razors when I have more time. The Tech is particularly outstanding, but, really, all of these razors look far better than any picture I'm likely to take with my phone.

My wife won't let me use her nice camera. Besides, no reason for her to know about all the razors just yet. Bet I'm the only guy with that problem.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Ha, ha, ha I bet you are lol (not). I have my own camera and my wife still gives me guff about photographing razors. As far as what she knows I have....well! Beautiful collection. Thank's for sharing!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
They use the same standard Fatip OC head with eleven teeth. The Joris does have better polishing and plating using Palladium which is a semi precious metal. Mine is relatively new and was purchased last December after the Fatip retool. The top cap Joris is using (at least as of Dec. 2016) is still the Mk1 18mm cap instead of the new Mk2 19mm cap. That and the added weight of the Joris make it a more aggressive razor (silky smooth but noticeably more aggressive). My Joris weighs in at a 110 grams compared to the 66 gram Grande. If you order from the Plisson web site directly from France you can get a Plisson/Joris for 139 dollars US. shipping included (at least as of last Dec.). That is definitely a better price point than Frendrihan which also holds true in Canadian dollars. The Plisson website also offers a larger selection of handle styles than Frendrihan.
View attachment 820796

I've had my eye on this one for a while, but I didnt know about the caps being the Mk 1 version, thanks.

Brass Gold & Palladium

I'll see how well I get along with the gold Grande that, I hope, will be here next week but I have a feeling I'll quite likely end up with that Joris/Plisson at some point lol.

The blade was a new Russian Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow. I could hardly tell the razor had a blade it was so smooth. It also seemed very sharp.

I had a feeling you might like the Yellow lol. It is a very nice blade but might be a bit too much blade for more aggressive razors. When you get around to using your Tech start with your favorite blades from the AS-D2 and you'll be in good shape.

You've picked up some very nice razors. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on them.

The NEW SC looks very nice. From the pic it appears the handle still has its gold plating on it which I suspect is very thin so clean with caution and polish very little. It will be red brass under the gold the same as the top cap.

I cant tell if the base plate still has its plating or not, but it will be yellow brass which takes much longer to form a patina than red brass. If I dont wipe dry the red brass cap on my SC, the water drops left to air dry on it will form a nearly black patina over night, but thats easy cleaned off.

I could be wrong, but it also appears to have a cap from a NEW LC which I believe offers a bit less blade exposure compared to the SC cap. The Tech cap will also fit and make it milder again unless I have them mixed up lol. So much learning so quickly its not easy to retain it all haha.

Both SC and LC caps below. SC on the left. Notice the shapes of the corner tabs.

IMG_1468.JPG IMG_1469.JPG

The corner tabs on the SC cap mate into the machined recesses on the ends of the SC base plate. The SC cap will only fit the SC base plate.

IMG_1458.jpg IMG_1459.jpg

The NEW SC I believe is unique in the design and how firmly the SC cap and base plate support, and lock down the blade in place. I havent seen another razor design quite like it. They were however, sold with any one of three caps so it isnt necessarily a mismatch.

I read a post the other day where someone else also just picked up a Star DE NiB condition. An interesting razor...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
No plans to do anything right now with these new razors except admire them and show them off. Not forever, of course. I am planning to shave with them, but it will be a good while.

I am not bringing them home from my office. That way I can admire them away from the shave den and not be tempted. Besides it's fun having them there.

I will look at the caps on the LC and SC. I have no idea what they look like right now (and I'm at home).

I've decided that, for much of my neck, the whiskers go against the grain (or with the grain) in two different directions. I could shave ATG going from right to left or from bottom to jawline. Weird, huh.

Weirder still, it may seem different tomorrow.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
No plans to do anything right now with these new razors except admire them and show them off. Not forever, of course. I am planning to shave with them, but it will be a good while.

I am not bringing them home from my office. That way I can admire them away from the shave den and not be tempted. Besides it's fun having them there.

I will look at the caps on the LC and SC. I have no idea what they look like right now (and I'm at home).

I've decided that, for much of my neck, the whiskers go against the grain (or with the grain) in two different directions. I could shave ATG going from right to left or from bottom to jawline. Weird, huh.

Weirder still, it may seem different tomorrow.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My neckline is tattered with age, getting choke a lot and an operation on my spinal column C-2 to C-7 and they opened me from the front side. :) Otherwise, they cut my throat. :laugh: Try finding which direction to shave that..

In all seriousness, you truthfully has amassed quite a nice collection ..BUT.. I buy to use, I'm not much of a collector of anything. But I sure would like to blade up a couple of those in your collection there. :biggrin1:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Italian barber has a sale on your favorite blades 7'oclock green and Gillette Nacets $10 us-100pcs. (Chan Eli & Esox...)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Oh, I certainly bought the razors to shave with, just not yet, at least some of them.

I'm still learning to shave. I believe the way to learn is to learn with one razor. Mostly I am controlling the variables reasonably well except for trying different blades, and using several different brushes.

I will use my vintage razors, at least some of them. Whether all of them get used is something I don't know yet. I'm not sure how aggressive the NEW SC and LC are, nor sure how aggressive a razor I want to apply to my tender neck and its weird whisker patterns.

I'm pretty much terrified of using any new razor right now. The Feather AS-D2 is scary enough with every new and untested blade. Can't imagine putting a blade in a NEW anytime soon, me (oops, slipping into a Cajun syntax, sorry).

I bought the non-Gillette razor mostly because I thought the handle was so pretty. It is. I have zero idea what kind of a shaver it is other than someone mentioned it as, I believe, a mild shaver on a thread begun by Uncle Sam. I've not examined it very well trying to see how much of a gap and blade exposure it has.

The Super Speed (or at least a Super Speed) and the Slim (again, a Slim) are both razors of my youth. I was not good at shaving with them, and I want to give them another trial once I'm very confident in my shaving skills with my Feather AS-D2.

The razor I most want to try of the vintage razors I purchased is the 1951 Tech. However, it is in near mint condition, so it would be the razor I would be most inclined to not shave with and just keep around to look at. It truly is amazing that a razor from 1951 could look as close to brand new as my new Tech.

My guess is I'll eventually shave some with all these razors, but I'm not promising anything.

I have three more razors on the way. One is a 1947 birth year Super Speed which works fine, but needs some cleaning and polishing, and is certainly user grade. A member here has agreed to let me have it. The second is a decent looking Fatboy E2 which looks like it will clean up pretty well, but it's not, I think, going to be a showpiece. The third was sold as a Fatboy, but I'm sure it's a Slim; I haven't decided what to do with it (return it, or keep it); it won't arrive for a month or so.

There are a few other vintage razors I might like, but I'm not looking for more at the moment. I've run out of pennies.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Italian barber has a sale on your favorite blades 7'oclock green and Gillette Nacets $10 us-100pcs. (Chan Eli & Esox...)

Thanks. I've not tried the Nacets, but I'd like to. I have none of them yet. The Greens are very high on my list. However, I'm not ordering hundreds of any blades just yet. I still have a number to test on my face and neck, and more arriving on Monday from India.

Well, maybe I'll get the Greens. I know they'll have their uses.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I didnt find the Green sharp enough for me, but they certainly are smooth enough. Nacets are a very good blade, but I'm really starting to favour the Perma-Sharp Super.

I need to try a fresh Derby Extra for a couple more shaves before I order the Perma-Sharp in bulk. I do like Derby blades. They work well for me and I dont understand why so many have such a hard time with them.

With that said, the smoothness of Perma-Sharps is really winning me over in my Gillette Regent. It may be "The" blade for that razor.

I'm not sure how aggressive the NEW SC and LC are, nor sure how aggressive a razor I want to apply to my tender neck and its weird whisker patterns.

The SC may surprise you. You're using a razor with the same amount of rigidity and enjoy it so the SC shouldnt really be that much of a change. It will however be more effective. You wont need as many passes and your skin may thank you for that, but its hard to say, I only have my skin to shave haha.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I ordered 300 of the Greens. Great deal. That many Greens, the way I'll use them, which is not as a primary blade but for days I need extra smoothness, will last me forever.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I ordered 300 of the Greens. Great deal. That many Greens, the way I'll use them, which is not as a primary blade but for days I need extra smoothness, will last me forever.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thats one blade down. Second choice or not sure yet?

Thats one blade down. Second choice or not sure yet?

I've forgotten how many times I've said "This Is The Juan". Then 4 or 500 blades later, well I just keep right on finding new and better blades. My consensus? I think most "all" blades are good or good enough for any given days shave.

I'll have to count some day but I must have close to 2,000 or more in drawers I use for storage. Buying 100 blades and not utilizing them's no big deal when you consider the cost of a "Top Shelf" scotch whiskey at a good watering hole. Think of what some of those spills would amount to? :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've forgotten how many times I've said "This Is The Juan". Then 4 or 500 blades later, well I just keep right on finding new and better blades. My consensus? I think most "all" blades are good or good enough for any given days shave.

I'll have to count some day but I must have close to 2,000 or more in drawers I use for storage. Buying 100 blades and not utilizing them's no big deal when you consider the cost of a "Top Shelf" scotch whiskey at a good watering hole. Think of what some of those spills would amount to? :)

All things considered yes, blades are very inexpensive. Dont fumble a blade and try to catch it and DO NOT spill the Macallan! lol

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

Happy shaves,

Jim
I would of bought some but i just bought 100pc Astra SP for about the same price. That is a good deal for the green 7 o clock and they are the Russian made ones that are the higher rated ones.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Why buy 300 Russian 7 O'Clock SS Greens?

First, they're on sale at a great price.

I figure the Greens will always be useful on days when I know only something really smooth will work. Days when my skin is tender, or sunburned, or razor burned, or meatloafed from a bad shave yesterday. Days when I need to shave but don't care about anything but comfort. Days when I'm especially lazy.

I do not expect the Russian Gillette 7 O'Clock SS Green to be my primary blade, but suspect it will always be a blade I want to have around, and a blade I'd be comfortable suggesting to and giving to a new DE shaver to try out.

There are several blades I like a lot. I'm not sure I won't find a blade I like more than anything I've tried. I have on order the Blue Diamonds. They should arrive on Monday. I'm hot to try them. Also, the Perma Sharps, on Monday.

I love the sharpness of the 7 O'Clock Yellows from Russia, and the GSBs, but maybe something is about that sharp and smooth, too? The Feathers are up for trial again pretty soon now that I'm a bit more experienced.

The great razor blade trials are a lot of fun, too, at least for me. Apparently some people like to hurry the process, and maybe I'll convert to that thinking.

As long as my shaves are improving, and they are, I'm happy for now.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I would of bought some but i just bought 100pc Astra SP for about the same price. That is a good deal for the green 7 o clock and they are the Russian made ones that are the higher rated ones.

Ron, funny how everyone's mileage varies so much. I had a hard time with the Astra SP. Maybe it was me having a bad day with the razor? I'll keep some around and try them again sometime because they're so highly regarded.

I think the only blade I really, really disliked was the Kai. It didn't make it past the first shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom