What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Jim,

I have a PhD, but understanding all the intricacies of Gillette razors is over my head for sure!

Alternative names would be just English Tech or perhaps even 7 o’clock Tech as I wouldn’t be surprised if this design was brought into the Gillette stable through acquisition. The NEW Flat Bottom it’s definitely also available in a 7 o’clock version. Otherwise you could always go for EFBT for short if you want to avoid taking about bottoms all the time - I can’t fathom why not, but that’s just me :cuppa:

Cheers,

Guido

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Jim,

I have a PhD, but understanding all the intricacies of Gillette razors is over my head for sure!

Alternative names would be just English Tech or perhaps even 7 o’clock Tech as I wouldn’t be surprised if this design was brought into the Gillette stable through acquisition. The NEW Flat Bottom it’s definitely also available in a 7 o’clock version. Otherwise you could always go for EFBT for short if you want to avoid taking about bottoms all the time - I can’t fathom why not, but that’s just me :cuppa:

Cheers,

Guido

;) 🤣

The EFBT does come in either Fat or Thin handles, just to confuse things a bit more.
:laugh: The FBT comes with more handles than just the fat and thin.

For example, here's my 1945 No26 Set (two piece handle):
1945-No26-Set-16_2022-10-26.jpg

One could spend hours poring over mr-razor's 1938... The Tech page. :001_rolle

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim,

Cheers,

Guido

Thanks.

EFBT sounds good.

I was sorta kinda wondering if there is an official Gillette name for the English Flat Bottom Tech?

Happy shaves,

Jim

The Captain Obvious answer is that they called it the Tech.

But it would depend on the year yours is from Jim to have a real answer. Based on what you shared and with the fat handle your Tech would/could be a No 27, 30, 31, 44, 77 - depending on the case it came in at the time. There might be more but these are the ones I know.

Cheers,

Guido

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My new Flat Bottom Tech (from England) was cleaned and polished this morning.

3-26-23.RFD.BottomAngled.Clean&Polished.640.JPG

3-26-23.FBT.Side.Clean.Polished.640.JPG
3-26-23.FBT.Side.Clean&Polished.640.JPG

3-26-23.FBT.End.Clean&Polished.640.JPG

It spent ~3.5 minutes in my small ultrasonic cleaner with hot tap water and Dawn.

It was polished with Flitz and a microfiber cloth.

It was rinsed with hot tap water and dried.

Whether the photos show much improvement or not, in real life the improvement is substantial. Not that the razor was dirty because it wasn't, but now it is sparkling clean and freshly polished. It looks substantially better.

Also, the process of screwing together the cap and the handle previously seemed a bit gunked up. Following the cleaning and polishing and drying, I applied to the hole in the top of the handle a drop of 3-in-1 oil, screwed the razor together, and then removed with a paper towel as much of the oil as I could easily remove. Now the razor parts screw together as smoothly as silk.

Yes, I'm pleased with the results. It is at least enough better looking for me to notice. That justifies the little bit of effort. Plus, I feel better about its cleanliness (as a vintage and previously used by someone else shaving instrument).

Perhaps I will dip the FBT in Barbicide, too, or maybe not, but that's a decision for another day.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday my kit delivered a very good shave.

3-27-23.X1.Mike's.BlueBoar.640.JPG

Having skipped shaving on both Saturday and Sunday a good shave was right up my alley.

The X1 is a Daily Driver for sure. That's not news, but the razor continues to prove itself.

I can use the X1 every day. Each day my shave is good. All shaves are comfortable. I'm now 27 days into the March Fixed Four with the X1 and I've not seen any signs of blood. Zero.

Knocking on wood, of course, as the month is not over.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom