What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'm considering that I might go to the pool. My energy is better. I'm sleeping better. I'm not feeling cold all the time. Maybe I can tolerate exercise today and benefit from it but I'm not sure. It's not that I've been sick. It's more like I've been feeling like I'm fighting off a virus or recovering from exhaustion or both. I do tend to work very hard for someone my age.
Take care Jim, lots of us depend on you! :cornut:

~doug~

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Decided to add a fragrance.

CubaOrange.11-1-22.640.JPG

I never heard of this fragrance until I noticed David @never-stop-learning using it pretty often. Obviously, the attraction is the clever cigar scent container.

It will be used in the same way I use my perfumes. A little spray to the wrists, the left antecubital fossa, and the right, and both clavicles.

Having first applied it minutes ago, I like the scent so far.

1667328890574.png

This morning I thought I was weller (that's a word) than now.

Not really sick exactly but not chipper either. Maybe the Cuba Orange will fix me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Monday. A pretty good shave.

View attachment 1549185

This handle is even better looking in person.

SV soaps are always good when I want a bit of scent. As much as I like Felce Aromatica as a scent I like BullGoose's collaboration, Flying Mango, better. Both scents are great. One thing I like about the SV scents is the degree to which they favor subtleness. They are not overwhelming.

Once again the same guarded blade was used.

A good many razors sometimes feel a little bit rough on my soul patch especially ATG. The Vector is no exception. The Vector however sometimes turns that little rough feeling into a small amount of blood which is unlike other razors favored by me.

I've not given up on the Vector. It has several attractive and admirable attributes. The jury is still out on it though. It might be a bit much for me. I'm not sure yet.

View attachment 1549190

Man, this one large 28 mm knot. It is fine by me, but I'd bet serious money it would be entirely too big for a great many guys. They would of course want to stick with their little bitty brushes and wouldn't even consider a 28 mm knot.

The jury is still out on the knot. I like it more than I first thought I might, but I'm not sure if I love it. It's not that the backbone is excessive, but I wouldn't mind if it were about half a notch softer. My strong suspicion is softness will happen over time. The hair in the knot seems unusually consistent and uniform. If the knot doesn't change from here I will still be happy with it, but not ecstatic.

Mozingo offers a knotting service for those having an empty handle needing a 24, 26, or 28 mm knot. Kinda makes me want to look around for the very best knotless handle I can find to buy needing a 24 or 26 mm knot.

Used my usual preshave stuff but no scent. Since Friday I've been fighting off a bug. I'm not really sick exactly nor am I fully well. I'm staying away from work today and tomorrow, hoping to get back to my usual state of glorious, energetic, and good health.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim
I recently managed to acquire a couple of beautiful Mozingo ZT2 and ZT3 brushes from a fellow reprobate, and a ZT4 from Brett’s latest drop. The ZT2 is a fantastic knot for me and perfectly matches my taste - uniform soft tips, medium backbone or a bit less - I will never let this one go. The ZT3 has very high backbone and the same soft tips - and I guess this is what a lot of badger guys look for. The ZT4 (only four shaves in) has even more backbone, feels big for a 28mm brush, and the tips are not especially soft yet - it feels stiff and scrubby. Maybe it will break-in to be closer to the ZT3 but so far I feel like it might just be too densely packed for my taste and it feels like slightly too much brush. All three knots are similarly natural and do not exhibit any clumping.

Seems like your ZT4 experience is similar to mine so far.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I recently managed to acquire a couple of beautiful Mozingo ZT2 and ZT3 brushes from a fellow reprobate, and a ZT4 from Brett’s latest drop. The ZT2 is a fantastic knot for me and perfectly matches my taste - uniform soft tips, medium backbone or a bit less - I will never let this one go. The ZT3 has very high backbone and the same soft tips - and I guess this is what a lot of badger guys look for. The ZT4 (only four shaves in) has even more backbone, feels big for a 28mm brush, and the tips are not especially soft yet - it feels stiff and scrubby. Maybe it will break-in to be closer to the ZT3 but so far I feel like it might just be too densely packed for my taste and it feels like slightly too much brush. All three knots are similarly natural and do not exhibit any clumping.

Seems like your ZT4 experience is similar to mine so far.

Thanks so much for sharing your impressions and information about the various Mozingo knots.

It's not a super well known or super widely used brush (yet) so information is a bit hard to come by.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Decided to add a fragrance.

View attachment 1549868

I never heard of this fragrance until I noticed David @never-stop-learning using it pretty often. Obviously, the attraction is the clever cigar scent container.

It will be used in the same way I use my perfumes. A little spray to the wrists, the left antecubital fossa, and the right, and both clavicles.

Having first applied it minutes ago, I like the scent so far.

View attachment 1549873

This morning I thought I was weller (that's a word) than now.

Not really sick exactly but not chipper either. Maybe the Cuba Orange will fix me.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Always happy to help, my friend. Hope you feel better soon.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday. Used the not new but not worn out Proline blade today.

11-2-22.Vector.CanadaSS.Mozingo.640.jpg

Unless I'm dreaming or indulging wishful thinking the Mozingo knot seems a half of a tad softer today. Another quarter of a tad and it will have transformed as I'd hoped. But, I will admit to having had very strange (but agreeable) dreams the last couple of nights, so I could be a little off. (Okay, a little more off than usual.)

I've never been much on admiring handles for their beauty until this one came my way.

The Proline didn't draw any blood today. Yesterday it became apparent to me that I'm using a lighter hand with the Vector. However, I noticed last night that my shave yesterday wasn't as long lasting and therefore wasn't as close as most of my AC blade shaves. (Yesterday I use the guarded blade. That blade has not been discarded. Today's blade might be discarded, or not.)

CubaOrange.Cigar.11-1-22.640JPG.JPG

I'm not wild about the initial scent of Cuba Orange but it is not objectionable. Within just a few minutes it changes (or my nose changes) sufficiently for me to like it very much. The orange scent is just complex enough.

AlsoSheaButter.PreshaveGear.640.JPG

Other than the blade this was a pretty standard shave for me. Standard for the AC safety razor platform I mean as my AC shaves are quicker and more simple than those with DE razors.

If I could keep only five of my razors I think one or two would be AC safety razors. Whether the Vector would be one is not yet determined but it's looking like a contender. That's a strange thing for me to say as I'm not entirely sure yet whether the Vector has reached Daily Driver contender status. Even more strange to say as I'm not yet sure if the Vector will be a keeper. It's an expensive razor. Unless I've determined I love it by the return date, it's going back.

Being able to use it today with the Proline and drawing not blood is a very good sign.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I hate it when the internet messes with my ability to edit obvious mistakes in my posts, but sometimes it happens. Bet I'm not the only one.

Sometimes I hate the 45 minute limit, too, but it is what it is.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I decided yesterday I'm well enough to return to work. Last night I only got four hours of sleep, but I'll be there.

For years I've mostly slept well. In recent weeks sleep's been a problem. I think that's part of what's been going on although I did sleep very well Monday and Tuesday nights.

Yesterday I had zero caffeine. I wasn't unhappy or worried last night. I went to bed at my ideal bedtime and followed a good routine other than eating too late.

We tend to eat late as both my wife and I work. She wasn't home yesterday until about 6:30. She does most all the cooking unless we get take out. Eating late isn't ideal, but it's usual. I've no idea why I'm not sleeping normally.

It will be good to be back at work. I also trust God has my back.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday. I'm finally back at work, feeling decently close to normal in spite of only sleeping four hours last night, and, on top of all that, celebrating having had this morning a very satisfactory shave.

I'm certainly feeling well enough to do my job correctly. My job, according to my standards, should be done correctly or not at all.

11-3-22.Vector.CanadaSS.SV.Tortoise.640.JPG

Today's blade? The Proline. I did get a little bitty nick on my chin, but it was entirely from an errant move, and my fault not the razor's.

Today's kit was all around lovely.

4-23-22.Thauy.Nakht.640.JPG

My skin is a tad dry, but that's seasonal, and I'm addressing it with extra applications of the magic Mysterium Serum (which you should try) and shea butter.

I might even exercise a bit this evening.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Went to the Kroc Center mostly to get in the hot tub, but I decided to exercise some first. I was careful to not too vigorously workout, but I still got in my usual time. Partly that was because I ran into an old friend and walked with him in the lazy river to catch up.

1667513898137.png

As it turned out the hot tub was out of commission which was a mini bummer. Still, it was great to be back in the water and the pool was a little warmer than it sometimes is.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday. Pretty much an instant replay with the same blade.

11-4-22.Vector.CanadaSS.Mozingo.640.JPG

I've been using this Mozingo brush a lot just getting used to it and breaking it in. I like it a whole lot although (dare I say this) it might be too big. It's a huge knot for sure.

I'm now changing how I use it. Today, having not used it for a couple of days, perhaps for 48 hours, maybe 40 hours, but not since Wednesday, I noticed something. Not something bad exactly, but the knot deep down in the base of it was far from dry. I want it to get really dry between shaves so it's going into a rotation where it will be used perhaps every 96 hours. That's maybe every 4th shave or something like that. Maybe it will be dry. We'll see.

The knot is not terribly dense. It's plenty dense, but not what I'd call extra dense. The density suits me fine as does the backbone. It doesn't have too much or too little of either.

What it does have is a huge number of hairs. It's a very very big knot. Hence, not getting dry. Again, not a real problem as brushes don't have to dry completely unless one is planning to store them in an airtight container. Just my quirk and inclination are being humored here.

Post shave I used no scent but only because I forgot to. I used all my usual preshave stuff.

Good shave today? (Meme).jpg

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday. Another good Vector shave with a Proline.

11-5-22.Vector.SS-NIL.SV.Horn.640.JPG

Today there was just a hint of drag. That doesn't mean in my experience that the blade was done as an effective shaver, but I'd been wanting the brand new blade experience so I discarded the Proline after today's shave.

Saturday's soap? Shannon's Soaps NIL. It's highly fatted and tallow based but I think both CK-6 and Canada Shaving Soap are significantly better. That's not saying this is a bad soap. It's far from bad.

Any of my SV brushes beat almost all brushes I've tried. Which might be an understatement.

I used no scent because I was headed for the pool to exercise. Upon arrival I saw the sign on the door announcing the pool is closed for maintenance. I give myself points for showing up, and I had a killer pool workout yesterday evening, but I was so looking forward to the pool. It is what it is.

Next comes a shower and probably a scent. The day's big deal of course will be college football. Not everyone knows this so don't tell anyone, but I'm actually the (secret) head coach of several teams all of which will require my help this afternoon and evening. At least I'm nicely shaved for my (recliner) sideline obligations.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday my shave was 100% Zero Dot Sailor with a brand new Polsilver blade.

11-6-22.Sailor.M&M.Aon.Ouroboros.Zenith3Band.640.JPG

I wanted a very soft brush and a very mild razor. The Sailor was used much like I've been using the AC platform safety razors. Not much work was done. The results were very good indeed.

I've been thinking I could sell all my razors, keeping only a couple of AC razors. I don't mean that was a plan or that I had any intention of doing so. It was just a thought.

Today's Sailor shave demonstrated that the Sailor's certainly worth keeping. Fact is, even if I sold all my other DE razors I'd still keep the FOCS and the Sailor and probably the ATT CM and CR razors.

One advantage the Sailor on the Zero Dot has over any of the AC razors I've used is its incredible smoothness and mildness and lack of blade feel going ATG//S-N on my upper lip. Really nice!

Immediately after shaving and applying Mysterium Serum I went to the pool for a killer workout.

1667764828177.png

This is a killer piece of equipment for using in the pool. Yes, the yellow bells are detachable so they can also be used as dumbbells.

4-23-22.Thauy.Nakht.640.JPG

In a few minutes I'm taking a shower after which I'll reapply Mysterium Serum. We're taking a friend out to dinner to celebrate her birthday.

Mostly I'm all busy celebrating yesterday's football.

Dawg. Leaving Puppyhood behind (meme).jpg

I am so proud of Kirby and my Dawgs!

Today's soap was one I'd forgotten I had. I used it because I am kinda sorta considering buying the unscented M&M NIL in the same Aon base. Pretty good soap I think. I'm not wild about the scent, but it's not horrible and is interesting for occasional use albeit a bit too strongly scented for my tastes.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How are you getting along with the Ti Vector? Asking for a friend.

Monday's shave begins my head to head (kinda sorta) comparison of the ATT X1 and the Vector Titanium.

A brand new Proline was installed.

11-7-22.ATT.X1.CanadaSS.SV.Cocobolo.640.JPG

I noticed today that the X1 has considerably less blade feel when used ATG/S-N on my upper lip. This is very important to me in that very sensitive area.

The X1 is very smooth. It's also not aggressive. Plus, it is very efficient.

I've said it might be the best razor I've ever used. I stand by that statement.

It's going to be an uphill battle for the Vector. Yes, it is a revolutionary design. Yes, it's cool as hell. I'm not at all sure it shaves as well as the X1. The tiny head of the Vector is nifty, that's for sure, but I have zero trouble getting the X1 to go where it needs to go.

The Vector is a nimble sports car. The X1 is a heavy and comfortable Rolls Royce. Both have a V12 supercharged power plant.

I'll use the Vector tomorrow. Maybe that will change my mind. At the moment I'm strongly considering returning the Vector.

1667836501418.png

No scent because I was headed to the dentist. Used my usual preshave gear.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom