What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I use those blades in both my Claymore Evo and X1 with great success... but as always, YMMV. I get pretty equal shaves with both the Feather ProGuard and Kai Protouch MG. I know it doesn't make any sense since they are really intended to be used in barber razors but they work better for me than any of the AC unguarded blades I've used.

Interesting, Kim.

FeatherSS.Wood.ProTouch.8-31-18.640.JPG

My understanding is all the AC blades are mostly intended for the barbers razors. I've used the ProTouch in my SS Feather. I don't think I've used a guarded blade prior to today in any of my non-Vector AC safety razors. All have seemed "right" to me with a Proline.

(I'm discounting the ATT SE2 here as I believe it's too much period, and I won't be likely to use it again. (That said, the SE2 might be okay with a guarded blade.)

I suspect the Vector is significantly more efficient and more aggressive than the X1, the SE1, the original SS General, the SS DLC Hawk, and the Hawk v3. Probably the Vector was deliberately designed to be more aggressive and/or more efficient.

1666800905774.png

Apparently I'm not really using straight razors anymore, but I found them much more to my liking than the SS Feather (above).

Like Fonzie I like my air conditioning. I also like the AC safety razor platform enough to ask myself why anyone with a good AC razor uses DE razors?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Like Fonzie I like my air conditioning. I also like the AC safety razor platform enough to ask myself why anyone with a good AC razor uses DE razors?
I vote with my face and more and more find myself reaching for my AC blade razors over my DE razors.

To make the grade, a DE razor has to be truly special. The Ti Blackbird and my other top tier Big Dogs come to mind.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday. Another guarded-blade shave.

10-27-22.Vector.CanadaSS.SV.Horn.640.JPG

Another good shave. Whether the Vector will work for me with a Proline is yet to be determined. I'm following David's advice to learn the razor with a guarded blade before venturing back into Proline Territory.

With a guarded blade the shaves are good, but do I want to always be tied to a guarded blade? I doubt it.

AlsoSheaButter.PreshaveGear.640.JPG

4-22.Capriccio.WithTop.640.JPG

None the less, this was a good shave. The Vector is very able to more easily and more readily get up into my nostrils (almost) to get what's there and needs getting. Not that other razors can't do that job, but I know of none which are quite as able as the Vector.

I'm sure this is because of how tiny the Vector's head is. It is rather an amazing design.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thursday. Another guarded-blade shave.

View attachment 1546753

Another good shave. Whether the Vector will work for me with a Proline is yet to be determined. I'm following David's advice to learn the razor with a guarded blade before venturing back into Proline Territory.

With a guarded blade the shaves are good, but do I want to always be tied to a guarded blade? I doubt it.

None the less, this was a good shave. The Vector is very able to more easily and more readily get up into my nostrils (almost) to get what's there and needs getting. Not that other razors can't do that job, but I know of none which are quite as able as the Vector.

I'm sure this is because of how tiny the Vector's head is. It is rather an amazing design.

Happy shaves,

Jim
The Vector is a different razor. With practice comes proficiency. ;)

Patience is a virtue. ;)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It's just another blade choice, Jim. Protouch, Proguard, they work a charm for quite a few Vector users, myself included.

~doug~

I hear you, Doug.

The Vector is a different razor. With practice comes proficiency. ;)

Patience is a virtue. ;)

One of my "things" is a belief I only need one kind of blade meaning...
  1. Once I discovered the Polsilver SI I quit even considering any other DE blade. The Wizamet SI doesn't count as another blade because they're the same blade regardless of anyone's opinion or objective evidence (so called) to the contrary.
  2. Once I discovered the Proline, same thing.
  3. I have a lifetime supply of Polsilvers and a lifetime supply of Wizamets and a lifetime supply of Prolines.

1666889276110.png
1666889396346.png

It would be a stretch for me to use (more than temporarily) two different AC blades. Not perhaps impossible. It's been mentioned to me that I might be a stubborn SOB.

The Vector with a guarded blade is a great razor if my impressions so far are correct. I'm following David's suggestion but only using the guarded blades as training wheels. Doug might be suggesting I should keep the training wheels forever. I'm not arguing against anyone doing that but I'm not sure I want to.

I've got nothing against temporary training wheels.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I hear you, Doug.

One of my "things" is a belief I only need one kind of blade meaning...
  1. Once I discovered the Polsilver SI I quit even considering any other DE blade. The Wizamet SI doesn't count as another blade because they're the same blade regardless of anyone's opinion or objective evidence (so called) to the contrary.
  2. Once I discovered the Proline, same thing.
  3. I have a lifetime supply of Polsilvers and a lifetime supply of Wizamets and a lifetime supply of Prolines.

It would be a stretch for me to use (more than temporarily) two different AC blades. Not perhaps impossible. It's been mentioned to me that I might be a stubborn SOB.

The Vector with a guarded blade is a great razor if my impressions so far are correct. I'm following David's suggestion but only using the guarded blades as training wheels. Doug might be suggesting I should keep the training wheels forever. I'm not arguing against anyone doing that but I'm not sure I want to.

I've got nothing against temporary training wheels.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
Currently have ~300 Schick Proline P blades. Once you get the hang of driving a high performance "sportsrazor", all you will need are the Prolines. ;)

Not locked in to one blade, though. I still use (and very much enjoy) the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG guarded blade because I like the contrast in feel versus the Proline.

Regarding the Feather AC blades: In general, they are not my favorites. The only one I use occasionally is the Pro Super - when I want to take a walk on the wild side or when I wand to perk up a mild AC blade razor.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Currently have ~300 Schick Proline P blades. Once you get the hang of driving a high performance "sportsrazor", all you will need are the Prolines. ;)

Especially this. (Helpful.)

Not locked in to one blade, though. I still use (and very much enjoy) the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG guarded blade because I like the contrast in feel versus the Proline.

Regarding the Feather AC blades: In general, they are not my favorites. The only one I use occasionally is the Pro Super - when I want to take a walk on the wild side or when I wand to perk up a mild AC blade razor.

Helpful and encouraging, David. Thank you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's gear delivered another good shave. Apparently all my shaves are now good. Some are better than others of course but they're all within the range.

10-28-22.Vector.SV-FlyingMango.Mozingo.640.JPG

I'm not a fan of using scented soaps very often, but this scented soap - the SV Flying Mango from BullGoose - has a very appealing (to me) scent for occasional use. And, of course, the SV 4.3 base is excellent. I've used no SV soap in any base other than 4.3.

Today's shave employed the same guarded blade. I've now received the blades I ordered. I didn't realize how many I ordered, but now I have over 150 of these guarded AC blades.

Kai Blades.Pink.Gurarded.Box of 150.640.JPG

I have way more Prolines than that, but so what.

It seems extremely clear to me that part of my success in shaving of recent months is my use of these particular preshave products in the manner I use them.

10-19-22.Desire.640.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday. A quick shave before today's football games.

10-29-22.Vector.MysticWater.SV.Cocobolo.640.JPG

This wasn't my best recent shave, but it was still good.

I like the ingredient list of Mystic Water Shaving Soap, but I'm not wild about the soap. It's certainly okay, but I have soaps I like a good bit more. I find this one relatively hard to load. It doesn't lather as easily as some either, not that it's bad in that respect. It requires a lot of water which is fine with me, but the point at which there is enough water is too close to the point at which there is enough water. (In that regard, it reminds me of another soap.)

Formula T.WSP.Tobacco.small..jpeg

For the record I like Formula T, but for its hydration point. During the Fixed Four of 2018 I grew weary of the difficulties hydrating it to my satisfaction.

Perhaps I could better dial in Mystic Water, but am unlikely to do so. Other much easier soaps are every bit as good. Better, actually, regardless of formulas and ingredients which sound better than they turn out to be.

Big shout out to Canada Shave Soap for being excellent, easy to use, very protective, a good value, and for the simplicity of its ingredient list. Unlike Cal @Cal I don't find that it loads in seconds like MdC, but that doesn't matter to me.

My usual preshave procedures and products did their job.

Today's blade was the same guarded blade. Do the guarded blades last as long as Prolines? I have not ascertained the answer but I'm beginning to wonder. For me, Prolines pretty much never need to be discarded; I move to a new one out of boredom and usually find the new one sharper, but that doesn't mean the discarded Proline needed to be tossed.

Young Dawgs. Keep Winning..jpg

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Saturday. A quick shave before today's football games.

View attachment 1548017

This wasn't my best recent shave, but it was still good.

I like the ingredient list of Mystic Water Shaving Soap, but I'm not wild about the soap. It's certainly okay, but I have soaps I like a good bit more. I find this one relatively hard to load. It doesn't lather as easily as some either, not that it's bad in that respect. It requires a lot of water which is fine with me, but the point at which there is enough water is too close to the point at which there is enough water. (In that regard, it reminds me of another soap.)

View attachment 1548026

For the record I like Formula T, but for its hydration point. During the Fixed Four of 2018 I grew weary of the difficulties hydrating it to my satisfaction.

Perhaps I could better dial in Mystic Water, but am unlikely to do so. Other much easier soaps are every bit as good. Better, actually, regardless of formulas and ingredients which sound better than they turn out to be.

Big shout out to Canada Shave Soap for being excellent, easy to use, very protective, a good value, and for the simplicity of its ingredient list. Unlike Cal @Cal I don't find that it loads in seconds like MdC, but that doesn't matter to me.

My usual preshave procedures and products did their job.

Today's blade was the same guarded blade. Do the guarded blades last as long as Prolines? I have not ascertained the answer but I'm beginning to wonder. For me, Prolines pretty much never need to be discarded; I move to a new one out of boredom and usually find the new one sharper, but that doesn't mean the discarded Proline needed to be tossed.

View attachment 1548032

Happy shaves,

Jim
I usually change my AC blades (guarded and unguarded) at the 7 - 10 shaves mark.

Have you tried the WSP Rustic (non-tallow) Tobacco?
20221023_120505~2.jpg

To me, it shares many positive qualities that I get with MdC soaps. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I usually change my AC blades (guarded and unguarded) at the 7 - 10 shaves mark.

Have you tried the WSP Rustic (non-tallow) Tobacco?
View attachment 1548123
To me, it shares many positive qualities that I get with MdC soaps. :)

I'll persist with the guarded blade for a while longer without changing it. Thanks, David.

Yes, I've tried the Rustic soap. Frankly, I can't recall what my impressions of it were. If it's a whole like MdC it would be a great soap for me until the post shave drying effect took over.

MWF and MdC are both terribly drying on my skin. I will not use MWF ever again. MdC? Maybe, because it's so fun to lather after a 3 second brush loading (or just waving the brush in the area of the tub).

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'll persist with the guarded blade for a while longer without changing it. Thanks, David.

Yes, I've tried the Rustic soap. Frankly, I can't recall what my impressions of it were. If it's a whole like MdC it would be a great soap for me until the post shave drying effect took over.

MWF and MdC are both terribly drying on my skin. I will not used MWF ever again. MdC? Maybe, because it's so fun to lather after a 3 second brush loading (or just waving the brush in the area of the tub).

Happy shaves,

Jim
Then I'm probably not the best one to provide lather references. My oily Southern Italian skin does not experience the drying effects you describe with MWF and MdC. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday. A pretty good shave.

10-31-22..Vector.SV.Felce.BigMo.640JPG.JPG

This handle is even better looking in person.

SV soaps are always good when I want a bit of scent. As much as I like Felce Aromatica as a scent I like BullGoose's collaboration, Flying Mango, better. Both scents are great. One thing I like about the SV scents is the degree to which they favor subtleness. They are not overwhelming.

Once again the same guarded blade was used.

A good many razors sometimes feel a little bit rough on my soul patch especially ATG. The Vector is no exception. The Vector however sometimes turns that little rough feeling into a small amount of blood which is unlike other razors favored by me.

I've not given up on the Vector. It has several attractive and admirable attributes. The jury is still out on it though. It might be a bit much for me. I'm not sure yet.

1667236944488.png

Man, this one large 28 mm knot. It is fine by me, but I'd bet serious money it would be entirely too big for a great many guys. They would of course want to stick with their little bitty brushes and wouldn't even consider a 28 mm knot.

The jury is still out on the knot. I like it more than I first thought I might, but I'm not sure if I love it. It's not that the backbone is excessive, but I wouldn't mind if it were about half a notch softer. My strong suspicion is softness will happen over time. The hair in the knot seems unusually consistent and uniform. If the knot doesn't change from here I will still be happy with it, but not ecstatic.

Mozingo offers a knotting service for those having an empty handle needing a 24, 26, or 28 mm knot. Kinda makes me want to look around for the very best knotless handle I can find to buy needing a 24 or 26 mm knot.

Used my usual preshave stuff but no scent. Since Friday I've been fighting off a bug. I'm not really sick exactly nor am I fully well. I'm staying away from work today and tomorrow, hoping to get back to my usual state of glorious, energetic, and good health.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday I wanted a very soft brush.

11-1-22.Vector.SV-FM.ZenCopMan.640.JPG

Why did I pick this one? Notes for that decision are here.

The blade remains the same guarded blade I've been using.

This was a very good, yet pretty quick shave. It's a remarkable razor. Frankly, most of my AC platform safety razors are remarkable, but none have heads like this one. That's not saying I like the shave of this razor above all the others. I may or may not keep the Vector. The jury is still out. It is indeed a sports car of a razor. Perhaps too much for me, but I don't know that yet.

Flying Mango has a wonderful scent for days when I want scent.

I forgot shea butter last night which was a bad move, but I applied it this morning a couple of hours before shaving which was almost as good.

No fragrance yet. Maybe later.

I'm considering that I might go to the pool. My energy is better. I'm sleeping better. I'm not feeling cold all the time. Maybe I can tolerate exercise today and benefit from it but I'm not sure. It's not that I've been sick. It's more like I've been feeling like I'm fighting off a virus or recovering from exhaustion or both. I do tend to work very hard for someone my age.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom