What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was very good.

1609708046804.png

I began by cutting my hair.
I'm a little better at that job than some guys.​

I shaved the back of my neck first (after the haircut). Then my face and the rest of my neck.

Wizamet SI
(flipped)

Vitos Red

Zenith Manchurian

FOCS​
1-3-21.Rave'sManchurian.Vitos.FOCS.640.JPG
12-20.PineappleBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

⬅ A group of the usual suspects.​

Happy New Year,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was good.

1-6-21.RV-Pure.FOCS.Vitos.640.JPG

Rudy Vey
(dark amber butterscotch swirl)

Shavemac 26 mm Pure

Wizamet SI
(flipped)

FOCS

Vitos Red​

Interesting new brush and knot. Pure is new to me (other than in the Mixed Midget).

It's going to require climbing a little learning curve as it's a bit dissimilar to other knots I use and like.

Unlike the Mixed Midget this knot isn't really scritchy. Yes, it does have some pokiness, but as I use it, not any actual bad scritch. It's not very dense and it doesn't have a lot of backbone, but it is sufficiently scrubby for my taste.

In the photo above the knot's been washed (last night) and dried overnight. In the photos in my previous post the knot's brand new and unwashed.

I like this Rudy Vey brush (based on one shave). The handle, my first keyhole, is great. The color is even better than the photos show.

Some of the Usual Suspects ➡

Brickell's Face Moisturizer Rocks!​
12-20.theBeach.HyaluroicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Good kit. Good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was good.

1-7-21.RV-Pure.FOCS.Vitos..640.JPG

Same Kit As Yesterday

Wizamet SI
(flipped)​

I'm trying to use my new Rudy Vey Shavemac Pure to get to know it. It's an interesting knot.

Good Stuff ➡​
12-20.CoconutBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640.JPG

Very good shave. I think my shaves are improving; largely I judge that by how my neck is post shave (smooth, comfortable) and how my soul patch area is mostly in terms of the closeness on my lower lip.

The various PAA bay rums I've used - Crown King Atomic Age, Clásico, coconut, pineapple, pumpkin - are all impressively good, and each are distinct from the others. I had only a small sample of the pumpkin but I have bottles of all the others. I like 'em all.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'm trying to use my new Rudy Vey Shavemac Pure to get to know it. It's an interesting knot.
How do your Shavemac's compare to your Simpson's, Jim? Not that I need/want another brush. I'm still waiting for my Christmas present.

The LOTH got furniture and a new car. Sounds fair to me :popc:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How do your Shavemac's compare to your Simpson's, Jim? Not that I need/want another brush. I'm still waiting for my Christmas present.

The LOTH got furniture and a new car. Sounds fair to me :popc:

More than fair, I'd say.

Probably I'd need more brushes to compare Simpson and Shavemac brushes very well.
  • For one thing, all my Shavemacs are in Rudy Vey Handles.
  • For another, I don't have the range of knots either in Simpson or Shavemac.
  • For another, I'm new to one of my Shavemacs, the Pure.
I'll do the best I can, and hope it's taken with a grain of salt.

1-5-21.RV-D01.FOCS.Vitos.640.JPG
1-4-21.RV-IBO.FOCS.Vitos.640.JPG

To the degree I'm familiar with them the Shavemac knots are pretty well described on the Shavemac website.

People compare the Shavemac D01 with the Simpson Manchurian (which I don't have).

Both of my Simpsons are the Chubby 2, which is, by definition very dense. Both the Shavemac 2 band (not DO1) and the Shavemac D01 2 band are dense. Both have great backbone and scrub. The D01 is "more so" by any standard, across the board. I like both very much.

I don't have a Simpson Pure, but my Shavemac Pure is a nice brush. However, it's not dense, and has not much backbone. It does have decent scrub. I don't find it scritchy, but others might.

12-31-20.FOCS.Vitos.CH2Best.640.JPG
10-2-20.CH2.Silvertip.Vitos.FOCS.640.JPG

The Simpson CH2 in Best is a bit scritchy but within my comfort zone. It has enormous scrub. It's super dense (like the D01). I like it very very much. The CH2 in Silvertip Badger is also very dense. It has adequate backbone (more than the Shavemac Pure by a long shot), but it has marginally good scrub. I'd say it's way softer than a 2 band has any right to be; that's a negative comment from me, but would be a positive comment from someone who loves softness over everything else.

I like softness just fine but not at the expense of scrub. To me, a good brush has to be very scrubby. The CH2 in Silvertip Badger is barely scrubby enough for me to keep it around (and I'm considering selling it).

I love the CH2 in Best (but it has some bad scritch). I love the Shavemac 2 bands. These three brushes all feel like the best brush ever when I use them. I can recommend any of these brushes without any reservation, but I know not everyone would like any of them.

The others, well, the jury is still out on them.

Largely it depends on what you like and value.

I tried a Vulfix brush for a while. It's made by Simpson (sorta) and was in the Vulfix version of Super Badger (three band). It was as scritchy as my CH2 in best and was a shedder and was floppy; still, I liked it okay (but not enough to buy one).

I doubt that helps much, so I'll just say this:

1610042569358.png

Sell the ones you don't like.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Friday shave was very Simpson...

1-8-21.FOCS.SimpsonSoap&CH2Best.640.JPG

This discontinued Simpson Shaving Cream is not a shaving cream. It's a not terribly soft soap. I like it a lot.

The container says nothing about its scent, but it has a pleasant and not too strong scent.

Wizamet SI
(flipped)​

The FOCS continues to impress me.

Great Stuff ➡​
12-20.PineappleBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

I'm pretty pleased and a bit impressed with my recent shaves.

Happy shaves to you, sir,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
View attachment 1205795

I wish mine did. I tried it again the other day. For me its half the razor my Grande is.

That's 'cause it's not gold.

The gold FOCS can be ordered...I have the gold in transit from Connaught (slow transit).

12-29-20,RV-IBO.Executive#5.Vitos.640.JPG

I was never interested in gold until I shaved with my Gillette Executive
(which was given to me by a friend; I think it was her grandfather's or her dad's).

I tried to not accept it and to get her to sell it on eBay, but she refused, and insisted I take it.

I'm very glad I did. Very nice shave with it.

It's not mint, but it's a lot better than many I see on eBay for over $100 (USD).​

Happy shaves, Mike,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday my shave was very good indeed. I'd skipped shaving on Saturday.

1-10-21.RV-Pure.FlyingMangoSV.Executive#5.640.JPG

Wizamet SI
(flipped)

Gillette Executive
(adjustment #5)

Rudy Vey Keyhole
(dark amber butterscotch with a swirl)

Shavemac 26 mm Pure​

This was a stunningly good shave considering how quickly it was accomplished. The Executive is a great razor by any standard. You should have an Executive!

I'm going to try out my Fatboy before too very long to see if it's just as good.

I'm astonished at how much better my shaves are now as compared with shaves many decades ago with Gillette adjustables. I don't know for sure which Gillette adjustables I used back then, but certainly not an Executive; the idea of spending $5 on a razor was unheard of in my circles. Plus, it was a huge amount of money for me when there was beer to buy. I could buy a case of top quality domestic beer (sometimes) for under $5.

Here is the same Rudy Vey Pure brush when it was brand new and had not been wet.

A big shout out to Cal @Cal for enabling me to pull the trigger on a good pure.

Another big shout out to Rudy @Rudy Vey for making the handle and brush, and advising me on the knot and the shape of the knot.

The more I use this brush the better I like it.

Today I realized what a stellar knot this is!

It's not a knot which should be compared with others. It should be evaluated on its own merits.​
1-5-21.RudyVey.Pure.New.640.JPG

The handle is truly beautiful but also ergonomically great. Several gentlemen steered me right here, and I appreciate their help. The keyhole is indeed a great shape for face-lathering.

12-20.ClasicoBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

⬅ Hard to beat gear like this.​

Really nice shave today. Quick but not hurried. I'd almost forgotten how good SV is - it might be even slicker and have even better ghost lather than Vitos Red - plus it smells wonderful. Even with a good rinse and an application of bay rum I can smell Flying Mango around the edges. Nice.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was good, but not great (perhaps).

1-11-21.RV-Pure.1912:Magnum.FOCS.640.JPG

Wizamet SI
(flipped)

Wickham's 1912 Magnum
(a great scent)

FOCS

Rudy Vey Shavemac Pure​

I'd not used Wickham's soap in a long time. It's a good soap. In many ways I like 1912 a lot. However, I'm not sure it's as protective (during the shave) as either my usual soap, Vitos Red, or as the SV I used yesterday. It's slick and has good ghost lather.

I like the Shavemac Pure knot!

Good post-shave products ➡​
12-20.CoconutBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom