What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Hard to keep a straight face after watching that.

Too right. I just watched it again after reading these posts. This is me.

5422056-lex hackman.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was good.

9-13-20.PBOCS.70:30.Vitos.640.JPG

I'm back home. Used the PBOCS with the Polsilver already loaded (and how old?).

1600011646964.png

The 26mm Maggard 70/30 now seems to me to be broken in. My guess is the knot will improve and continue to break in (as boars do), but I think it's now achieved break in. The knot's feel is much better than it was when I took it out of my rotation and began a purely offline break in process. At that time I'd used the brush more than thirty times. In other words it's been used maybe forty times and it's also been broken in offline.

*difficult to break in brush*

The out of rotation and offline break in process began July 8th.

Without a doubt this has been an exceedingly difficult break in project, but it's now officially over. I'll see how I like the brush over time but today it was very nice. Very scrubby. I noticed no bad scritch.

The Storm Trooper Razor was interesting. I have to compare it to the FOCS. I'd say the Storm Trooper might be a bit more efficient but it's certainly significantly less smooth feeling during the shave. Not that the ST is bad in any way, but it's no FOCS.

I got a good shave without much work.

HyaluronicAcid.Cremo.BayRum.480.8-22-20.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave is in the bank.

9-14-20.iKonX3.Vitos.70:30.640.JPG

Used the iKon X3 with the Polsilver blade already in it. It's a decent slant (or better), but not a favorite.

The 70/30 brush was as good as yesterday which confirms what I said yesterday about it.

HyaluronicdAcid.Cremo.Beach.480.8-23-20.JPG

A good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was good.

9-15-20.FOCS.RV-IBO.Vitos.640.JPG

The brush is new & washed.

9-14-20.New.RudyVey.IBO.640.JPGBottom.RV-IBO.9-15-20.New&Washed.640.JPG

On the left it's brand new and unwashed (never wet). On the right, washed. The brush is a Rudy Vey Irish Oak Bog with a 25mm (28mm at exit) Shavemac 2 band.

Nice brush.

Iridum.Super.Tuck.480.8:3:20.JPG

New blade today.

Small cut on my lower lip yesterday (with the iKon X3) was reopened today. I blame the X3 and not the FOCS.

HyaluronicdAcid.Cremo.Beach.480.8-23-20.JPG

Good stuff today. I like the broken in Shavemac D01 2 band more than the Shavemac 2 band I used today, but one shave isn't enough to test any brush and today's brush is definitely in bee's knees territory so I'm comparing and not knocking.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave shoulda been skipped.

9-16-20.RV-IBO.S2.Vitos.840JPG.JPG

Not that the S2 delivers a bad shave or anything like that.

My dilemma today was this.
  • I have a little lower lip cut from maybe two days ago. It was reopened with yesterday's shave; therefore skipping shaving today would have been prudent and I am not working today so I could have. The cut is extremely minor but persistent. It needs a day off.
  • This afternoon's schedule includes pool time which may include laps which are a problem for my shoulder if I'm not LSS (lap swimming smooth). Whiskers burns on the shoulder are ridiculous.
The pool won, and, yes, the little cut was reopened.

Boy, is the ATT S2 heavy or what? It was already loaded with an old Polsilver. The blade's been in the razor forever but how many shaves are on it is a mystery. I'm sure I could dig back through this mess and figure it out pretty exactly as entries here include I think all of my shaves with the razor, but I'm not going to. I've no complaints about the blade.

9-15-20.RV-IBO.New & Washed.640.JPG

I'm not sure what to make of my newest badger, the Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak 25mm Shavemac 2 band. The knot is definitely much different from the D01 2 band, a statement which should surprise no one. It's much less dense but that's not saying it's insufficiently dense nor is it saying the D01 is excessively dense. To me it's pretty soft right off (on its second outing). I've not appreciated any bad scritch. I feel some good scritch myself, but you might not feel it or you might call it bad scritch although I don't see how you could as it's not prickly at all. The scrub is good of course. Not D01 scrub but good scrub.

I've tried only a few silvertips, as in three band silvertips (as I know Rudy calls the D01 a two band silvertip), but considering that limitation in my experience I prefer two bands and Manchurians to three band silvertips. Silvertips to me can lean towards softness at the expense of scrub. Two bands, at least the ones I've tried, have been plenty soft enough for me, but also more scrubby than the three bands.

Yes, I know it depends on the knot. I've not tried all silvertips. Not hardly. Doubt I will.

Manchurian.From.Rave.Gift.640.1-5-19.JPG

Right out of the box this knot would be likely to suit most folks I think. It reminds me of the 27 mm Zenith Manchurian but I'm not saying they're twins or anything. It does not remind me of my right out of the box experiences with the copper handled 28mm Zenith Manchurian or the D01 2 band. Both were vastly more stiff, with way way way more backbone and scritch and a far more intense scrub.

As this point both the Z.Man and the D01 are somewhat changed from their new states. Both have tamed down. Whether the Zenith will change from here or not I don't know, but it's very soft now and yet still very scrubby. The D01 is plenty soft now and still hugely scrubby. Neither now feel like they used to when you might wonder if you could scrub your skin right off your face with 'em.

The IBO handle looks really cool to me. The top photo almost captures its colors but not perfectly. I'm not sure I love or even like all that much the ergonomics of the handle but using it twice isn't anywhere near enough to say it won't become a favorite. It's not an instant favorite handle to use, but so what?

Overall, it's a nice brush. Not sure it will be a favorite like the D01 has already become.

9-14-20.Unbleached.Zenith.Wood.640.JPG

I'm breaking this boar in a bit. It's not too very funky smelling at all, but there's some funky, and I want most of the scent gone. Hand lathering and bowl lathering. No face lathering until it smells better. So, I don't know what it would have been like right out of the box, and won't.

HyaluronicAcid.PumpBottle.1-7-20.480.JPG

So, far just a little HA post shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

9-14-20.Unbleached.Zenith.Wood.640.JPG

I'm breaking this boar in a bit. It's not too very funky smelling at all, but there's some funky, and I want most of the scent gone. Hand lathering and bowl lathering. No face lathering until it smells better. So, I don't know what it would have been like right out of the box, and won't.
I was wondering why I haven't heard much about it since your purchase. Was about to ask how it was working out.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I was wondering why I haven't heard much about it since your purchase. Was about to ask how it was working out.

It's soaking now, until tonight when it will be lathered up. Then, I'll air dry it and see what's what.

Thanks for inquiring.

I will say it's not a very good looking knot. Kinda swirled and/or almost tangled looking. Unique in that respect for any of my Zeniths. Still, the proof is in the pudding and I've not tasted yet.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom