What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was very very good.

2-28-20.Kinfolks#2.MdC.MixedMidget.Kit.640.JPG

My brush may finally be losing some of its scritch. It is definitely a lather monster which hits way out of its weight class. I like it, but it has a very tiny handle. It's a midget for sure. Mixed badger and boar. Interesting brush it is.

MdC rocks! This scent is so wonderful.

What about the edge on my Kinfolks #2?
  • It's Top Drawer for sure.
  • It may have improved (without more honing). That would be from stropping I'd guess.
  • It's sharp and pretty smooth but not as smooth and great as the 136 recently used and my Bismarck, but that's not knocking this edge.

Dragonsbeard.SkinFood.Splash.HyaluronicAcid.480.JPG

Perfect post shave products ^ are pictured in the thumbnail above this text.

Really nice shave today.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
We had a Five Guys open up in here in SoCal, lasted about 2-3 years. If I want a burger it is In-n-Out, usually $24 for 4 of us.......View attachment 1067817View attachment 1067812
Jim,
As you and Mike were commiserating about local eating establishments, I came across a picture I had taken of the In-N-Out drive thru restaurant located in the Southern California city of Garden Grove(my hometown). This particular establishment opened around 1980, and has been very popular every since.
It is a privately owned company that doesn't sell franchises, has a very simple menu. The #1 includes a Double-Double Cheeseburger, fries, and a medium drink for $6.70.....

They are also popular for having a not so secret, secret-menu........... the Animal fries being one of them.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If I want a burger it is In-n-Out, usually $24 for 4 of us.......

Thats more like it. We cant get deals like that anywhere here. We stopped at A&W 3 or 4 years ago and that was $22 and change for two of us.

It's less expensive to eat at Harrys Diner than it it to eat almost anywhere else other than at home.

Screenshot_2020-02-28 HARRY’S OPEN KITCHEN, London - Updated 2020 Restaurant Reviews, Photos P...png

$8.95. If they can do that, with quality food, so can the rest!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thats more like it. We cant get deals like that anywhere here. We stopped at A&W 3 or 4 years ago and that was $22 and change for two of us.

It's less expensive to eat at Harrys Diner than it it to eat almost anywhere else other than at home.

View attachment 1068121

$8.95. If they can do that, with quality food, so can the rest!

I'd like to think that, too, Mike, but I have some idea what it costs to run a business. The overhead can be a whole lot more than you'd think it'd be. Especially when the government is involved in driving up the cost and insurance costs are considered.

My friend (now retired) who owned a several bay car repair shop told me every time he gave a customer a bill he felt like he was ripping them off, but every time he did the books at the end of the month he realized he was the one being ripped off.

Still, I get your point.

proxy.php

The good thing is we can almost always eat better tasting, healthier, and less expensive food at home. My wife can whip up a really good dinner in about ten minutes. I have no idea how she does it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave tested today's soap against yesterday's.

LeapYear29th.2020.Kinfolks#2.MixedMidget.Vitos.Kit.640.JPG

My MdC has the most beautiful of scents. It lathers like a dream. The shave performance is great. It might perhaps be just a tad drying, but not enough to bother me.

Today's Vitos is the equal of MdC in shave performance or so close as to not matter to me. It lathers almost as easily as MdC. I don't find it drying. It cost a whole lot less.

If they were the same price I'm not sure which one I'd use more. I like 'em both. A lot.

HyaluronicAcidForFaces.480.jpg

No splash yet.

My edge was Top of the Top. Very good shave. Kinfolks #2 (nice scales, ugly blade).

I'm working on my technique. Generally I like what Cal @Cal has to say. He's been influential and helpful to me in many ways. However, once he said something about straight razor shaving - as in angles of approach, hand positions for holding the razor, etc. - which made me think he might want to approach it in a kinda sorta intuitive, Zen way.

I found that hilarious. Well, not LOL hilarious but far from my experience. I'm needed all the help I could get in figuring out the straight. I've not figured it out yet and I've used the straight something like 450 times. In other words I'm still a beginner with the tool.

1582999943998.png

Recently subtle refinements of beard mapping (mostly from faceturbation) have convinced me that I've got to shave in some new to my straight razor shaving directions if I want much better shaves.

With a safety razor I can go in myriad directions and not worry too much about beard mapping, but, as I suspect many straight razors shavers know, it's another and different gig with the straight.

Being finally at the point where I can hold the razor in a number of ways without much thought and stretch my skin just right most of the time (not overdoing it which works poorly for me) I might be getting closer to Cal's intuitive, Zen straight razor shaving.

I'm not there yet. Some angles induce a bit of anxiety, perhaps approaching fear, but my approaches are better and better and my comfort level is higher. That, combined with some really sharp homemade edges, seems to be helping my technique and my shaves.

1582999854493.png

It makes me smile on the inside.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'd like to think that, too, Mike, but I have some idea what it costs to run a business. The overhead can be a whole lot more than you'd think it'd be. Especially when the government is involved in driving up the cost and insurance costs are considered.

My friend (now retired) who owned a several bay car repair shop told me every time he gave a customer a bill he felt like he was ripping them off, but every time he did the books at the end of the month he realized he was the one being ripped off.

The friend of mine that owned his own 4 bay shop since 1976 had the same problem. He propped up his own business for the last three years with his pension plan. His annual insurance was over $24,000 alone, plus the cost of running the shop.

Harry's Diner is an independent outfit. Three kitchen staff and they're always hopping. Eight table staff taking orders, bringing, and refilling, drinks, bringing food and clearing tables as well as doing register duty when one of their tables is finished. Yet they supply good food for good prices. If they were a slave to corporate HQ, things would be very different.

Its all monopolized here. This is only one small example of the chain business in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ca...halet-harvey-s-milestones-plans-ipo-1.2956446

Every rest stop along the highway 401 corridor from the Windsor/Detroit border to the Quebec border has the same rest stops around every 50 miles or so. Notice the brands.

onroute-service-centres.jpg

Different rest stops have different brands, but they're all owned by the same few companies and are the same chains we have all over Ontario. In London alone, a city of nearly 500,000, there are 75 Tim Hortons the last I checked. Looking now there are 76! By contrast, there are 'only' 17 McDonalds. There are so many Tim Hortons franchises they cant even sustain operations at the current level.

Double, double and doughnuts: Tim Hortons seeks return to its roots amid sales slump - https://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/double-double-and-doughnuts-tim-hortons-seeks-return-to-what-its-famous-for-amid-sales-slump

What they have done is entered the real estate market by buying up prime real estate to open the franchises on. The same business model as McDonalds and Walmart.

Not many independent owners can compete. Even if they can, how long can they sustain it becomes the question.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Wednesday shave was really great for a very simple one pass ATG shave.

3-4-20.Fixed.Kit.136.Vitos.CopperMan.JPG

Actually it was a good shave. Period. Very good.

I've long known that Grooming Dept Pre-shave was a super good shave enhancer, but I've not been using it in recent months. Today I did. I suspect it made a very significant difference to my shave's outcome.

HyaluronicAcidForFaces.480.jpgPAA BayRum.ExtraPoints.480.png

The extra points are always welcomed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was excellent.

3-5-20.Fixed.Kit.CopMan.vitos.136.Snap.JPG

No, I don't mean BBS. That's not my goal. Still, I'm moving in the right direction in all respects including technique and an increasing ability to approach areas (neck) from the angles I need to use. That's very good.

GD Pre-shave really adds something.

In all respects a very good kit.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was excellent. Fixed Four, er, Three.

3-6-20.Fixed.Kit.640.Cop-Man.Vitos.136.JPG

Stellar kit. Including GD-P-S.

Good comfortable shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was simple but good.

Fixed.3-7-20.136.Vitos.CopMan.640.JPG

One lathered pass + a bit more here and there. Meaning sideburns, chin, lips.

HyaluronicAcidForFaces.480.jpg

Preshave. No splash yet.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As they should all be.

It is quite amazing how close to a several pass shave can be achieved with "one" more or less ATG, S-N pass + a little extra work on the lips and chin and maybe the sideburns.

Still, I get a closer shave if I add a couple more lathered passes.

1583687039986.png

I'm currently sometimes working on shaving my neck in a considerably more sideways, E-W, direction. Not 100% E-W, but approaching that direction more than I previously have with the straight razor. Unfortunately this hasn't been the most successful effort; I'm getting a little bit of neck discomfort.

I emphasize "a little bit" because it is so little. Still, I want zero neck discomfort and irritation.

As long as I focus my extra effort shaving on my face and jawline I'm okay. The area which is clearly the most sensitive is the lower third of my neck.

1583687195475.png

My comfort with the straight has clearly improved in the last couple or three dozen of my shaves. It's a long learning curve, but worth it (to me).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom