What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just an FYI, but for those interested in SE razors, I believe rabidus has moved onto the ATT SE1 and I think thats now his #1 razor from what I remember reading.

The most rigid of razors is a SE. Yes, he's using only a SE last I heard.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am quite jealous of your SS General. I have somewhat decided that I will only add a razor to my Christmas list, but will not purchase any until the new year or possibly the next new year. The SS General is the only razor that I would have broken that for. The RR Hawk V2 is just a slight bit too light for me. I'll try it with a heavier handle to see what I think about the weight increase, but I think the SS General would be about right for me. I liked the weight of the Rockwell, and really liked my Variant. I have the Variant loaded with a used Shark Chrome blade, which ironically has given me amazing shaves in it. I am very excited for tomorrow's shave as it has been almost a month and a half since I've used the Variant and I've learned a MASSIVE amount in that time frame.

On shaving with the General: Light pressure, like always. Try it without going ATG for your first time out. The increased expanse of the blade is a bit difficult to maneuver at first depending on how you shave. I have difficulty going east to west on my neck which is my first WTG pass so it took a bit for me to actually get used to the Hawk. The blade is very sharp and very efficient, so let it do the work. Just wipe the whiskers away. I have gotten really good shaves with the Hawk, unfortunately my weird grain pattern causes issues with the blade expanse of the AC razors. I will be going back to it at various times over the next month though.

I've shaved with my ebarbershop Type O injector with the Schick Injector 11 TWIN blade. Very efficient! Amazingly so. Also, mild on the skin, or so they say, once you master the angle and the NO PRESSURE dictum. I have not mastered it, but I think now I could use the injector.

Maybe the General is similar. It is, of course, much heavier. The ebarbership is fairly light in weight.

As I recall I got very good shaves with the injector, but also I got razor burn. Apparently I'm the only person in the world to ever get razor burn with that particular razor. I'm sure I had the angle wrong, and too much pressure.

The Type O is a great razor. I know how to get the right angle in theory, but in practice I failed to implement it.

The Colonial General is said to be a SE with a shaving angle like a DE, and also said to be forgiving as to angle, and also said to shave with an angle near that of a Feather AS-D2. So, it should be reasonably easy to find the right angle.

I've learned a lot tonight by examining my shaving razors in light of what Cal posted about the design angle (above).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Stirling Fan brush bloomed considerably during and following its first use. It no longer looks too small in the knot.
stirling-24mm-fan-knot-finest-badger-shave-brush-butterscotch__96185.1480115565.800.800.jpg
Picture it about 5% wider on both sides from this angle. That translates into a considerably larger diameter and appearance from the top.

Oh, it didn't lose a single hair today.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've been watching the auction, and drooling over the beautiful brushes being sold.

This is a fund raising auction, and people are making very, very generous bids on many of the items. A number of things are selling at auction for prices considerably higher than the retail price. It just goes to show the generous spirit of members here, and the pay it forward culture promoted and endorsed by the forum.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My razor burn from yesterday looks and feels like it is gone. I hope it really is.

In the late afternoon I applied an aspirin balm.

Cool Fix.jpg
Hours later, before taking my wife out for dinner, I rinsed that off, and applied Shaveworks The Cool Fix which is for ingrown hairs, razor bumbs, razor burn, and redness.

That stuff burns like crazy when you put it on, but, after awhile, it starts feeling really good.

Before bed, I washed my face with warm water and an olive oil bar soap, and applied The Cool Fix once again.

Something helped.

Now, I'm all covered with Noxzema. Applying Noxzema to my beard first thing in the morning has become my recent routine. Does it do anything? Well, it sure smells good. I suspect it is a good early pre-shave. I know people use it under shaving cream, and instead of shaving cream to shave with.

At dinner my wife commented several times on my razor burn, and took pictures with her new iPhone 8 (her old phone totally quit a few days ago). I explained about the sudden death syndrome in wives who post Facebook photos of their husband's razor burn. She was not worried, but I think she heard my objection.

The truth is, my razor burn at least gave the pictures of me a little color.

My face feels fine, and that is a very good thing.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You too huh lol. There really are some nice brushes, but none are going cheap thats for sure! lol

I don't know what those brushes generally sell for, but the bidding is amazingly generous. We're not talking about bid increases of the $5 minimum. Some bid increases are $75.

I wouldn't buy a brush for its looks, but if I were going to buy one for its looks there are a couple being auctioned that are straight up works of art if such a thing can properly be said about a shaving brush. In my opinion, it can't, but that doesn't take away from the tool's beauty.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1st shave with my new Colonial General Stainless Steel SE razor using a new Schick Proline blade.

SS Colonial General.JPG

Brand new to the razor. Brand new to Artist Club blades.

I went into this shave only a little apprehensive about cutting my throat and such. I'd read several reports describing the razor as mild, easy to shave with, hard to misuse, etc. The blade, known to be very sharp, has, in this razor, considerable exposure, but not enough to worry me.

I understand that technically this razor may be mild. The gap (what is it measured at?) looks small. The blade is held in an extremely rigid fashion. The blade exposure is not extreme at all, nor is the blade's angle.

The problem I have with the terms mild and aggressive are elucidated by this razor. Why?

The razor is extremely efficient. So efficient that I considered ending my shave after the first WTG pass. I think it was the closest first pass I've every had, or right up there.

I did not stop there.

My second pass was ATG on my face, and also ATG on my neck. Since my neck seems to be ATG in two different directions, at least on the right side of my neck, this means I picked one direction to call ATG, and went with it.

After the second pass I checked my face and neck and did a little touching up here and there. Then, I called it a day.

My general standard for shaving is three face passes, and at least three or four or five or more on my neck. With the Colonial General my shave was as good with two passes as I can manage usually with all those passes.

The toughest to smooth spot is on my right jawline. It was smooth, and I had not targeted it for any touch up. This is a great razor | blade combination!

I would compare this razor's efficiency with the Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant which has extreme blade exposure and is aggressive according to how I see it. Yes, I know the PAA-BOCS does not have much gap, but so what? It is aggressive by virtue of how it shaves, and its blade exposure, and the angle of its blade.

You see, I find the terms mild and aggressive so confusing, and inaccurate, and meaningless for the most part. They are sorta kinda useful once one realizes they are used in a sorta kinda way. Anyhow...

The Colonial General is an extremely efficient razor. Extremely efficient? Maybe beyond extremely efficient.

Of course, maybe it was just beginner's luck.

It was very easy to find the right angle, and there was considerable audible feedback.

The razor is heavy and I let it do the work. Still, towards the end of the shave I realized I should almost limit the work the razor might do. In other words, I began to make a tiny effort to restrain the razor, and make it touch me in an even lighter manner than its weight might allow, uncontrolled. I do not want this to sound like a big deal, or anything remotely difficult. Just a subtle change, and easy in practice.

My soap was again the lovely Wickham 1912 Cashmere, from England. I used a tad more water as I applied the lather to my face. That means, I occasionally dipped the tip of the brush into water just a little bit, as I face lathered. I wanted a lather just a bit more wet than my lather yesterday.

My brush, the Stirling Fan Badger, was heavily loaded (that is my way, steal-the-soap), and worked like my idea of how an ideal brush should work.

To be fair, the brush and the soap have been used twice, together. Neither have been used separately, so I can't really say whether today's great lather was brush related or soap related or both.

What I am sure of is that this is the best looking lather I've ever made. It is just perfectly thick, and perfectly thin. Besides, it smells wonderful, and the smell is strong enough, but not too strong. I'm still assessing its protection, but its glide and residual glide are very good.

Osage Rub.jpg

Having rinsed with cold water after every pass, and having applied witch hazel, and Osage rub (wow!), and the wonderful Geo F. Trumper's Limes Skin Food (buy some, you'll see), I can still smell little hints of the shaving soap's scent.

Of course, I can also smell hints of the Skin Food, and the Osage rub. It all goes together very nicely according to my nose.

Soon, I will add to the mix The Veg. Love it.

This post should be, unless I've done a very bad job of it, entirely consistent of the very high standards of one of the secret, underground, but frequently acknowledged, most loved, and most hated B&B brotherhoods.

Enablers R us.png

But, wait, you can't buy a SS Colonial General razor. They sold out in under ten minutes last Sunday morning. Maybe there is a waiting list, but they say they're going to be making more for sure. See their website and Facebook page. Oh, and eat your heart out, unless I'm wrong.

I was worried about razor burn, and felt a few tiny hints during the shave that I might be generating some burn, but I was wrong. The feeling from the application of Osage rub is usually very telling. Osage has some seriously bracing qualities shall we say. Applying Osage to my face and neck was less bracing than usual, a sure sign that my skin was not damaged by today's shave.

That is lovely to know.

Was this a Damn Comfortable Shave? I do not rate it as such, but, to be fair, I had bad razor burn yesterday, and this was my first shave with this Very Bad Boy. I know I learned about how to shave with it better next time, too.

Later in the day I'll know more about comfort and closeness, but I know something now.

All I can say right now is what a nice kit!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am extremely pleased with the group of razors I've assembled to shave with.

My plan, as discussed early in this thread, was to own and master or abandon one razor, the Feather AS-D2. The intention was to avoid acquiring a bunch of razors. Not to collect razors. Not to assemble a number of razors for shaving.

I missed some stuff.

Enablers R us.png

I missed that this is the most enabling group on the planet.

I missed that it is impossible to determine the best kit without trying a lot of products and hardware.

I missed that it's fun and interesting to experiment with razors, blades, brushes, and software.

Hobby.jpg

Now I know better.

So, I've acquired a number of tools for shaving. Yes, razors. How many? I've not counted yet. Let me leave the computer for a second.

Here's the lineup.

Feather AS-D2
Fatip Gentile
ebarbershop Type O clone
Colonial General SS
Schöne
Ikon X3
GEM G Bar
Gillette NEW SC
Phoenix Bakelite OC Slant

Some are mild. Some are aggressive. Three SEs; one, an injector. Two true clones. One vintage. Light. Heavy. Plenty of variety. I like this group of razors.

Only one of these razors is a razor I've never used, the GEM, but I believe I can use it, and I want it in the lineup until and unless I change my mind about it.

One of these razors, the Ikon X3, lacks rigidity, but I can see myself occasionally shaving with it.

The rest are razors I know well enough to know I want to use them a lot, maybe forever, or I know them well enough to want more experience with them to determine if I want to keep using them regularly.

Time for Change.jpg

As I see it, there are several rotation options.

Use each razor for a few days or a week, then change razors.

Use each razor for a day, then change razors.

Use whatever razor strikes my fancy for a day, or as many days as I feel like using it. Change razors on any whim for any reason, or without a reason.

Rotation.jpg

Whether I will end up with a small or large rotation of razors I don't know. Maybe I will settle on just one best razor, and put the rest into "my collection." There are several razors which might be good enough shavers to be "the one."

Yes, there are other razors - double edge, single edge, injectors - in my collection, not listed above. Most of them are tools I expect to use at least once. Some are razors I want to use once only, and don't see myself liking enough to use regularly. A couple in my collection may never be used because they are too nice to use, or are duplicates, or whatever.

My "shaving razors" live at home. My "collection" lives behind glass in my office. They are all able to travel with me any time I ask them to.

Frankly, I am amazed to find myself with all these great razors. Razors for shaving. Razors for looking at. It sure is a nice problem to have, trying to figure out how to use these guys.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Do bid in the auction. Even if you don't win, you help drive up the prices and raise more money.

Enablers R us.png

I bid on a Timeless razor, raising the previous bid by $15, but somebody raised my bid by $5. I'll have to think about going any higher. Maybe.

You always wonder how high the other guy will go. Especially in this auction where some of the bids are already over the retail price.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Anything made with passion can be considered a work of art as its someones inspiration you'd be holding in your hands.

Eye of the beholder and all that.

I'll be curious to see what you think of your AS-D2 when you use it next.

Thats what I'm curious to see. Will you like the milder razor now you've used more efficient ones.

I definitely found I didn’t like my baili as much as I used to when I went back to it. Rather sad as it was my daily driver for a month of my wet shaving journey, and I thought I liked it so much I’d never part with it. It stayed behind during this trip after the poor shave the other day. It’s just too mild. My beard might have gotten tougher or thicker or I just can’t shave as well with a less efficient razor any longer. Who knows.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am in no rush to try the Feather, but I can hear her calling my name, so I won't delay too long. I'm somewhat interested in finding out whether I can now shave ATG on my neck with the Feather.

I've always been able to get a great face shave with the Feather razor (or any razor) and any blade. My neck is always the issue.

My thinking is maybe I understand angle and such better now and will thus be better with the razor. I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed any, but suspect maybe I have.

There are so many razors just sitting there singing for my attention is their sweet little voices. Still, I remember that no matter how sweet and mild they appear to be they can be very sharp tongued.

My Colonial General, named for George Washington, it neither sweet nor lady like. Rather, he is one rugged dude, tough as nails. He is ready for action, but measured in resource allocation, thus very, very efficient.

I am some way distant cousin of the General and President, which gives me a perfect nickname for the razor, in case I need one which I don't.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I definitely found I didn’t like my baili as much as I used to when I went back to it. Rather sad as it was my daily driver for a month of my wet shaving journey, and I thought I liked it so much I’d never part with it. It stayed behind during this trip after the poor shave the other day. It’s just too mild. My beard might have gotten tougher or thicker or I just can’t shave as well with a less efficient razor any longer. Who knows.

Sounds like the same natural progression I went through. Mild razors are great learning tools. Comfortable, easy to use and try very hard not to scare you, but they arent the most effective.

This is what I said of my Tech after first use way back on June 10th. Seems like ages ago from where I'm looking now lol.

This Post War Tech, in my mind, should be the starting razor for everyone entering into the DE world. It's virtually foolproof. Use to applying pressure? No problem, this razor will warn you well in advance of hurting you. Technique a bit off and getting the occasional nick from loosing concentration? No problem, it's got you covered and you'll correct yourself before blood appears.

Notice how much more room I had on my shelf then? LOL

In reading that thread again, my first shave with the NEW SC was with a Polsilver blade and it gave me a 2 1/2 pass BBS. I'm now wondering why I never progressed past that same 2 1/2 pass shave with it.

I may need to rinse the dust off it and find out just how effective it can be...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've been studying this chart. No wonder I didn't like the Super Speed back when I was shaving in the early 1960s.

I wish the chart were far more inclusive but it is very useful.

I've used that chart as a reference point many times.

If you ever happen to find a British Gillette Flare Tip Rocket for a good price, you might think about adding it to the stable. Its a much nicer shaver than my 1958 Gillette SS. My father bought it in the 50's and used it until the early 1980's when the British Wilkinson blades became unavailable here and its the razor I first shaved with. You can feel the quality as soon as you pick one up. My SS feels, sorry to say, cheap in comparison.

Thinking back on it, that Brit Rocket and a Polsilver was a match made in Heaven and gave me the same 2 1/2 pass BBS as the NEW SC.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've used that chart as a reference point many times.

If you ever happen to find a British Gillette Flare Tip Rocket for a good price, you might think about adding it to the stable. Its a much nicer shaver than my 1958 Gillette SS. My father bought it in the 50's and used it until the early 1980's when the British Wilkinson blades became unavailable here and its the razor I first shaved with. You can feel the quality as soon as you pick one up. My SS feels, sorry to say, cheap in comparison.

Thinking back on it, that Brit Rocket and a Polsilver was a match made in Heaven and gave me the same 2 1/2 pass BBS as the NEW SC.

I might indeed.

Top Bottom