What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't look at honing as a hobby in itself but as a means and a necessity.

However, I'll admit to wanting really sharp and smooth edges, and to chasing them. I also believe based on my experience that I need really sharp edges.

Need!

My whiskers are not easy at all. With any razor, including my best safety razors, I have to do tons of buffing on certain areas to get a decent shave.

My belief is some gentlemen have beards much harder to shave than mine, but mine is hard enough, thank you, so I'm glad I'm not them. Other beards are more or less difficult, but we only have to contend with our own.

All is not technique (and I know you, @dundak, are not saying all is technique, but someone might get that idea). I'm also of the opinion much is technique, much more than is initially apparent. In my experience, my technique with the straight razor began to grow by leaps and bounds when most of my edges reached a certain level of sharpness.

Of course, I went against the best of advice. I learned straight razor shaving and straight razor honing at the same time. Well, let's revise that and say I'm learning both simultaneously. I've not learned either.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Of course, I went against the best of advice. I learned straight razor shaving and straight razor honing at the same time.

I think that is the best way. I also think its the only way you'll learn what works the best for you and why. Look at all you've discovered so far. Different grinds, different steels, different stones, different techniques using the razor for shaving and honing.

Sure, someone else would have been able to give you an edge you like for shaving, but you never would have learned nearly as much as you have and thats sort of the point as I see it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Saturday shave continued the recent set of shave tests of recently honed blades.

1579365624249.png

This razor is the one I call my Kinfolks #1.

five razors honed and stones Jan 2020.JPG

It was honed with a group ^ of razors.

1579365714035.png

Its cousin is this ^ Kinfolks #2. I get them confused.

Had to take a break to reload the computer. It was not behaving well. It's still an old box. Pictures are a big PIA.

Anyway, the shave...

I would not call this a particularly comfortable edge. It's a very decent edge, and decently sharp. The first pass was pretty close to top drawer, but, overall, and considering the immediate post shave comfort level, I'd say it is not an edge that's there yet. It may need only more laps on the hard side of the DCA, but perhaps it needs something I'm not thinking of at the moment.

It was tempted to say it was as good as yesterday's Bismarck. It's fairly close to that edge but not close enough. The Bismarck shave also held up extremely well. The Bismarck shave was certainly more comfortable.

This one may need another shave or two to help me figure out what it needs and/or to settle the edge in (or something).

Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash is magic as is hyaluronic acid.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Point taken. Sometimes is just the razor too. I’ve come across restores due to a combination of sanding and polishing that you just can’t max the edge.

A friend sent me a DD that has a great bevel angle, edge looked great and after a few shaves it went to crap. I reset it and flexed the edge lightly over a brass rod and it just rippled and tore. Lost the temper in the process of cleaning it up. Then it’s a guessing game on how much steel you would have to take off to get a good edge, if it was possible at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Jim, I know you've said that your worst shaves now are still better that your best shaves a year ago, but does this relate to your honing too? I know you can be very critical of yourself in your daily entries, and wondered whether your honing has also progressed as much as your shaving, and you're now chasing a much higher standard of edge than you were before?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think that is the best way. I also think its the only way you'll learn what works the best for you and why. Look at all you've discovered so far. Different grinds, different steels, different stones, different techniques using the razor for shaving and honing.

Sure, someone else would have been able to give you an edge you like for shaving, but you never would have learned nearly as much as you have and thats sort of the point as I see it.

Mike, I'm not sure you're right but yours is a most interesting and intriguing and new to me point of view about it.

It's been a fine adventure for me, but I know trying to learn to straight razor shave would have progressed more rapidly had I had only very sharp razors to shave with. Not saying I knew how to acquire those - I did try, but the razors I bought weren't really shave ready - which doesn't mean others couldn't find out where to get them (now I do).

However, you're entirely correct in that the perfect edge for me - the right balance of sharpness and smoothness - might be hard to find unless I make it, hone it, myself.

I wouldn't recommend going the route I've gone, but I wouldn't trade a bit of it.

Happy shaves, my friend,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, I know you've said that your worst shaves now are still better that your best shaves a year ago, but does this relate to your honing too? I know you can be very critical of yourself in your daily entries, and wondered whether your honing has also progressed as much as your shaving, and you're now chasing a much higher standard of edge than you were before?

I'm definitely chasing a much higher standard of edge than months ago. Exactly how many months I'm not sure, but let's say six months. Still, my very best edge was achieved more recently than six months ago.

One can shave with razors much less sharp than most of my edges, but a really good shave requires a very sharp razor (at least for me) + there's the issue of comfort and smooth edges.

You probably know this, Al, but I have a few razors already plenty sharp. Enough razors really. However, I'm attempting to sharpen all or most all the razors I own. Some are certainly worth the effort, but the enterprise has hobbyist written all over it.

I am having fun with it for the most part.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Mike, I'm not sure you're right but yours is a most interesting and intriguing and new to me point of view about it.

It's been a fine adventure for me, but I know trying to learn to straight razor shave would have progressed more rapidly had I had only very sharp razors to shave with. Not saying I knew how to acquire those - I did try, but the razors I bought weren't really shave ready - which doesn't mean others couldn't find out where to get them (now I do).

However, you're entirely correct in that the perfect edge for me - the right balance of sharpness and smoothness - might be hard to find unless I make it, hone it, myself.

I wouldn't recommend going the route I've gone, but I wouldn't trade a bit of it.

Happy shaves, my friend,

Jim
The difference between an expert and an innovator is that the expert sticks to what they know works, whilst the innovator constantly breaks new ground.

Your quest to try new things and constantly improve edges is the second camp in my book.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My shave today was quick and experimental.

Bismarck.Kit.Sunday.JPG

I used this razor, which I'd used a couple days ago, without further honing. It is indeed a good edge. Just one pass (more or less). Not a great shave, but an excellent one pass shave.

I'm having all sorts of fits getting my photos on the computer (from the phone). I'm very used to using AirDrop and it's not working with this box (I think it used to). Apologies for the size and for not cropping in the first version of this post, but I edited it, so it now has a cropped and properly sized photo.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The difference between an expert and an innovator is that the expert sticks to what they know works, whilst the innovator constantly breaks new ground.

Your quest to try new things and constantly improve edges is the second camp in my book.

I know you mean it as a compliment, and I appreciate it. Still, innovator vs fumbler is a fine line.

In any case, I'm certainly not an expert by any definition.

Oftentimes I know there are aspects of honing I'm missing entirely. Today is one of those times.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My shave today was quick and experimental.

View attachment 1054277

I used this razor, which I'd used a couple days ago, without further honing. It is indeed a good edge. Just one pass (more or less). Not a great shave, but an excellent one pass shave.

I'm having all sorts of fits getting my photos on the computer (from the phone). I'm very used to using AirDrop and it's not working with this box (I think it used to). Apologies for the size and for not cropping.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Nice razor!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I did some honing today...

Robeson&Kinfolks#1.Sunday.JPG

These two razors are both part of the group of razors I honed a few days ago on the convex coticule and the convex Ark (DCA, hard side). Shave tests weren't great, so they returned to the same stones for more work.

My Kinfolks #1 is on the left. On the right is the Robeson.

Sunday.Torrey136.Off.DCA.JPG

Also honed was this Torrey 136 snap to close razor. I don't recall its honing history. Even though the pre-honing finger-pad test was pretty darn good I touched it up on the hard side of the DCA today. I recall vaguely it not being where I wanted it (and my memory could be wrong, but I was too lazy to do the homework and light strokes on the hard side of the DCA aren't going to hurt anything).

Post honing and going by the finger-pad test I'd rate (as a guess) the razors from sharpest to least sharp as follows:
  • Torrey 136
  • Kinfolks #1
  • Robeson

I know the Robeson can be sharp. I had it pretty sharp at one time. I've not ruined the blade with heat or anything.

The shave tests for these three will happen soon. I'm working on just one set of seven razors and nothing else for now.

I improved this set of photos by figuring out how to use Preview with the downloaded stuff from the cloud. Cool, but a lot of trouble compared to what I can zip through with my other box and AirDrop.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was a shave test.

1-20-20.Kit.Kinfolks#1.640ABC.Yaqi.JPG

The razor, my Kinfolks #1, performed decently enough for me to conclude yesterday's honing improved it considerably. It was a very comfortable edge, and certainly sharp enough to be called shave ready.

Is it top drawer? Almost but not quite.

Can it improve? I'm not sure, but why not try to max it out? Still, there's no hurry as the edge really is shave ready.

My previous shave with this blade is so recent (two days ago, Saturday) that it's very easy to compare the edges. This edge is vastly more comfortable and fun to shave with.

My soap today was ABC. Antica Barbieria Colla is the full name but everybody calls it ABC. What about it?

Well, I have only a sample. I've used it before and always liked it but not been sure it's worth the money. The formula is simple. It loads and lathers very easily - similar to MdC in that regard - but might be a creamier and richer lather than MdC. The shave with ABC is excellent. It is exceedingly slick. The ghost lather is quite remarkable.

I don't know that it has any remarkable post shave qualities and I'm not likely to use my sample consistently enough to find out. I kinda doubt it has the post shave of the better artisans, but I can't really say for sure.

Is it worth what it costs? I'm not convinced either way. I'd have to compare it head to head with the much much cheaper Italian soaps (which I know to be good but are they this good). I'll say this: ABC might be worth every penny. It is a very very good soap. I really enjoyed my shave with it today.

1579534795314.png

Did I mention liking ABC very much! I hope so because I did.

The rest of my kit was simple and excellent.
  • One of my Yaqi two bands (24 mm). A very nice brush indeed. Not just very nice for the money but very nice period.
  • Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash. The best splash I've tried period. Great great scent. Actually a magic product for one's post shave needs. A true skin food. Not greasy at all. Almost zero burn (none today). A small bottle lasts a very long time. I use about 10 drops.
  • Hyaluronic Acid. A magic post shave product. You need this. Two drops on damp skin works a treat. It's not greasy at all. It is my #1 post shave product. Zero scent. Zero downsides. Inexpensive. Very underground in the B&B community but not for long if I can help it. You need to buy yourself a small bottle and use this after every shave!
  • Combining hyaluronc acid with DBSFS the results are more than 1+1=2. It's more like 1+1=7.
My razor was very noisy today. I like that.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Have you tried shaving with oil vs cream or soap? For me I get a closer shave with less irritation. I always go back and try soaps and creams but doesn't work as well for me.

I splash warm/hot water on my face a few times, rub about 6 drops of oil in my wet hands, rub them together, and then rub on my face. I shave with the grain for first pass. I add water to area of my fave before shaving it. Second pass I add a few more drops of oil and go right to against the grain. For me it gives a very close, comfortable shave. The oil will keep you face moisturized and comfortable after the shave even if you use witch hazel.

I have used olive oil, shave secret, razorock lime oil, Alonzo's, etc. They all work well, I think I like shave secret best. It is a little thicker and I don't get much irritation.

Ikon shavecraft 101 razor has been the most comfortable for me and gives great shaves.

Have you tried a soap or cream over the top of your shave oil as a combination? This certainly works better for me than just using one or the other.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was terrific. My Torrey 136 snap to close razor gets it!

1-21-20.Kit.Torrey136.Snap.DB.640.JPG

This is continuing the shave tests of the blades most recently honed (Sunday's work). I suspected this would be the best edge of the three.

The edge is top drawer.
  • That means the first pass (mostly S-N; mostly ATG) was terrific. Could have quit after one pass.
  • The subsequent passes added to the shave of course.
  • The edge was very smooth and comfortable.
  • The overall final shave was terrific.
  • A most excellent edge here. Few of my straight razor shaves have been this good or better.
Very nice shave it was. Top drawer soap. Also Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash and hyaluronic acid (both being top drawer).

What's not to like?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom