Fumbling about.
Lilac.jpg

Well, I am hitting the Veg pretty hard this week. :001_tongu

FTFY, Rave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Wednesday shave was very good. My photos do not do this razor's appearance justice!

12-18-19.Kikuboshi.MdC.AP.Gel.640.Kit..JPG

This is a razor I just acquired. Boy, does it have a nice vendor honed edge or what? Really nice razor. Great edge. I'm so glad I pulled the trigger on it.

Kikuboshi.12-17-19.FromCoreyW.640.JPG

Nice!

I enjoyed the entire kit.

Dragonsbeard.SkinFood.Splash.HyaluronicAcid.480.JPG

I agree with most people who say shave ready as sold my most vendors is a meaningless term, but there are exceptions.

Every "shave ready" razor I've gotten from this vendor, I think that means about four Japanese razors, has been truly shave ready but this is the best of his edges so far. Really sweet razor!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave continued a theme.

Solid Comfort.12-19-19.Kit.MdC.CopperZ.Man..JPG

More than one theme.

My shaves continue to be overall better than they were a month or two ago. That's very good.

Following more work yesterday on the finishing side of the DCA this Solid Comfort razor is now in the category I'd call shave ready. That's very good. I'm not sure the edge is maxed out, but I know how to find out. I'll hone it some more and see if it improves even more. I wouldn't be surprised either way, but I believe it's close to being maxed out if not already there.

Whenever I use MdC (lately in particular) I appreciate it, perhaps more than I used to. It is not a soap which tries to do anything other than give you a good shave. It doesn't have any great post shave qualities, etc. However, it does the fundamental job of a shaving soap exceedingly well. Besides, it loads and lathers like a dream, and it rinses very easily, and it smells wonderful.

Everyone should have a brush as good as the Zenith Manchurian pictured. It's my favorite brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was good.

Hibbard Spencer, Bartlett & Co.SolidComfort.German.12-20-19.JPG

Hibbard Spencer, Bartlett & Co. Solid Comfort. It may be maxed out.

12-20-19.SolidComfort.Hibbard.SV.MS.kit.640.JPG

Nice shave. It was not the most perfect shave I've ever had, but it was pretty darned good.

I enjoyed the brush and the software, too. It's been a long time since I used SV. My puck is largely depleted relative to new. It probably has enough shaves left to last me years and years at the rate I use it, but that doesn't mean I don't really really like the soap.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Glad your enjoying your shaves. I found I went through a period of trying to max my edges when I was younger. My dad had some sage advice. He said “do you get the results you want on most parts of your face?” Of course I said yes. His answer was “forget the hones and work on your angles and technique. It’s already shaving well. “

That was a paradigm shift for me in how I approached straights decades ago. It’s like your face is a puzzle and you have to figure out the angles, grips, stretches and directions to get the same result everywhere on your face. I’m still refining on a daily basis to reduce the number of strokes, passes and extra attention to get that perfect pass.

You can keep trying to compensate with keenness but more times than not with daily use your razor will not be at it’s peak fresh off a hone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Glad your enjoying your shaves. I found I went through a period of trying to max my edges when I was younger. My dad had some sage advice. He said “do you get the results you want on most parts of your face?” Of course I said yes. His answer was “forget the hones and work on your angles and technique. It’s already shaving well. “

That was a paradigm shift for me in how I approached straights decades ago. It’s like your face is a puzzle and you have to figure out the angles, grips, stretches and directions to get the same result everywhere on your face. I’m still refining on a daily basis to reduce the number of strokes, passes and extra attention to get that perfect pass.

You can keep trying to compensate with keenness but more times than not with daily use your razor will not be at it’s peak fresh off a hone.

Hibbard Spencer, Bartlett & Co.SolidComfort.German.12-20-19.JPG

This razor is being prepared for someone else to learn on. So, I'm trying to make sure what I send 'em is truly shave ready...

Your dad had some good advice. Glad you bought into it and are passing it on.

My interest in maxing out the edge of this razor is on behalf of several agendas.
  • I believe my various razors should be as sharp as they can get. I believe that because I know for sure I get better shaves with my sharpest razors, and dull edges don't cut it for me.
  • If I quit fooling with my already plenty sharp razors other than to shave with them and maintain them I'd have a bunch of other razors just sitting around gathering dust because I have many more than I really need.
  • It's certainly not the case that I primarily enjoy honing, but I want to get better at it, and I want all my razors to be as sharp as I can get them (or, better, as sharp as I can get them which is also as sharp as they can get). Even if I don't use them much and end up giving them away or selling them or whatever.
  • One of my friends wants to learn the straight razor and asked me to furnish a sharp razor or two for them to learn with. My notion is I'd prefer to supply an edge I know to be maxed out. Doing so would, I think, help them on their learning curve, and it would also please me.
The last on my list is of utmost importance to me with this particular razor. I'll likely do another for the same gentleman.

I'm absolutely in agreement with you, "...you have to figure out the angles, grips, stretches and directions to get the same result everywhere on your face." Well stated!

There's probably a point on the sharpness and keenness curves where even sharper adds little or nothing, but I'm not sure I'm there yet. I know I'm very close to there! My shaves are much better on a far more consistent basis over the last month or so (except when I'm shave testing a razor which fails the test).

1576868659222.png

Since I began learning to SR shave and SR hone simultaneously I had more experience than I'd suggest shaving with razors which weren't really sharp enough. I know you're not suggesting unsharp razors.

Still, I agree with you - with the caveat that the blade must be very sharp - in everything you wrote. Not that I'm saying you think the blade doesn't have to be sharp of course.

Yes, I've gotten pretty good shaves with edges vastly less sharp than the edges I'm using now - I'm thinking for example of some of my comfortable coticule edges which were better shavers than I'd have thought they'd be & also very very comfortable - but I'm noticing now that my shaves are better if the edges are sharper.

That's kinda making the assumption that my technique status is fairly static.

1576867814546.png

Just to be very clear, I'm also firmly of the opinion that much, maybe most, maybe almost all of the improvement which may occur from this point is going to be in technique. Angles of approach in particular.

I know my edges might get sharper over time (over years or months or whatever) but my better edges now are extremely sharp.

It's an interesting curve - the sharpness curve - in that I can't know where my edges are compared to edges I've not tried which includes my edges in 2024.

The technique curve is interesting, too.

You probably know I'm rambling as I explore this, but I am likely more in agreement with you than it may sound like.

Happy shaves,

Jim

No I get your point completely. I remember when first honing that “wow” when I created an edge I had not before. It felt like everything was easier with that edge. It kept me trying to max the edge even more. Looking for the next “wow”. I got to the point I could put an an edge on a razor that even my grandfather and dad respected.

My dad was old school and taught by a family of grinders.

I guess in a way I am turning into him. No intent to harsh your mood so my apologies.

An interesting story both my grandfather and his brothers used convex arks and coticules to hone their razors. All were grinders before moving on to become machinists when the market for straights crashed. My one uncle had a 18”x 5” beautiful convexed hard ark, a 14” x 4” coti and a couple thuri that were probably about 2”+ thick. All huge bench stones that you’ll probably never see the likes of again. And the ones mentioned were just a sample. His son inherited them and ended using them as general stones to sharpen anything. They all ended up cracked, dished and completely trashed from abuse and neglect. Every time we visited you could see the stress in my dad’s face whenever he saw them and it was always a bone of contention in the family how he ended up with them.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
No I get your point completely. I remember when first honing that “wow” when I created an edge I had not before. It felt like everything was easier with that edge. It kept me trying to max the edge even more. Looking for the next “wow”. I got to the point I could put an an edge on a razor that even my grandfather and dad respected.

I guess in a way I am turning into him. No intent to harsh your mood so my apologies.

An interesting story both my grandfather and his brothers used convex arks and coticules to hone their razors. All were grinders before moving on to become machinists when the market for straights crashed. My one uncle had a 18”x 5” beautiful convexed hard ark, a 14” x 4” coti and a couple thuri that were probably about 2”+ thick. All huge bench stones that you’ll probably never see the likes of again. And the ones mentioned were just a sample. His son inherited them and ended using them as general stones to sharpen anything. They all ended up cracked, dished and completely trashed from abuse and neglect. Every time we visited you could see the stress in my dad’s face whenever he saw them and it was always a bone of contention in the family how he ended up with them.

Very interesting story on a lot of levels. I'd bet Jarrod at Superior Shave would be interested in it, too.

I'm trying to imagine an 18x5 convex Ark...still trying...still trying. Too bad you didn't end up with them. Double too bad they were ruined. What a shame.

So, your ancestors were razor grinders? That's very interesting...then, they became machinists. Cool stuff, sir.

I'm not so much looking for the next "wow" now. If one happens it's good of course, but also bad because then all my razors have to be taken to that max.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

No apologies were needed. We're good, sir.

The whole face puzzle thing is so very true. Particularly with a straight as the angles of approach are so much more challenging (at least mine are) than with a safety razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Were the coticules convexed as well or just the arks?

I enjoy your journey thru this thread. Here is my main setup. It has 1400+ shaves on it. I’m trying to be minimalist in shaving how straight shaving was done in the 60’s after the heyday. I maintain it with fine India’s, C12k and paste you would find in a hardware store. Similar to what type of abrasives a normal guy would have. No big arks, cotis. Thuris , high grit waterstones or $$$ honing setups. Strop is a basic cheap Illinois. Basic soap, AS and simple cheap brush. I’ve been very successful and am enjoying the journey.

The slight upturn at the point is not hone wear but how the grinder ground it.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Were the coticules convexed as well or just the arks?

Depended on the size. Wider bench stones were convexed. Narrow hones were flat. There were also had many dressing stones of various concavity from extreme, to flat, to actually convex. It’s kind of bad that I did not fully exploit the knowledge I had at my fingertips but let my youth get in the way for many years. That’s all hindsight though. I loved my youth ;)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I enjoy your journey thru this thread. Here is my main setup. It has 1400+ shaves on it. I’m trying to be minimalist in shaving how straight shaving was done in the 60’s after the heyday. I maintain it with fine India’s, C12k and paste you would find in a hardware store. Similar to what type of abrasives a normal guy would have. No big arks, cotis. Thuris , high grit waterstones or $$$ honing setups. Strop is a basic cheap Illinois. Basic soap, AS and simple cheap brush. I’ve been very successful and am enjoying the journey.

The slight upturn at the point is not hone wear but how the grinder ground it.

1576884412992.png

An amazing post. Reminds me of what my wife says about her grandfather's lifelong kit - one razor, one soap, one mug, one brush - plus it obviously works for you.

1576884758591.png

1400 + shaves with the same kit! That's amazing to me.

Thanks for sharing your experience and kit.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks Jim. I still pull out the beauty queens and nice stones once a week. It all started 6 years ago when a friend I talked to on a regular basis at the barbershop wanted to learn. He kept balking at all the gear, perceived elitism, cost and maintenance behind straight shaving. So I bought and shaved with the same kit he could afford. Maintained the razors with what he thought was affordable too. He didn’t want anything for free or as a handout. Didn’t want to deal with eBay or online forums. He did well and stuck with it for daily 3-4 years with me mentoring him occasionally on honing, repairs and techniques. He became quite proficient and was the most ecstatic when he honed out a chip on his razor from a faucet ding on his own one Saturday at my place. He kept at it until he had a series of more debilitating strokes over the last 6 months of his life. I keep doing it from fondness and to keep myself rooted.

His son picked up his kit and started shaving too. We keep in touch at the barbershop and the Agway. He stops by now and again to hone up his razor, pick up some pointers and chat about his dad. His wife bought him a 6/8 BQ Dovo for his birthday at a 2nd hand shop last year and she also found a Scotch dual hone at a farm sale for $10 a couple months ago. It’s funny that I had to convince her it was worth the $10. A labeled near mint boxed hone. It must have taken near 100 text messages and photos over an hour. At the end I was tempted to leave work sick and buy it myself is she wasn’t going to.

I still buy or trade for the nice NOS SRs or something unique. Always on the hunt.

Have great shaves.

Thanks Jim. I still pull out the beauty queens and nice stones once a week. It all started 6 years ago when a friend I talked to on a regular basis at the barbershop wanted to learn. He kept balking at all the gear, perceived elitism, cost and maintenance behind straight shaving. So I bought and shaved with the same kit he could afford. Maintained the razors with what he thought was affordable too. He didn’t want anything for free or as a handout. Didn’t want to deal with eBay or online forums. He did well and stuck with it for daily 3-4 years with me mentoring him occasionally on honing, repairs and techniques. He became quite proficient and was the most ecstatic when he honed out a chip on his razor from a faucet ding on his own one Saturday at my place. He kept at it until he had a series of more debilitating strokes over the last 6 months of his life. I keep doing it from fondness and to keep myself rooted.

His son picked up his kit and started shaving too. We keep in touch at the barbershop and the Agway. He stops by now and again to hone up his razor, pick up some pointers and chat about his dad. His wife bought him a 6/8 BQ Dovo for his birthday at a 2nd hand shop last year and she also found a Scotch dual hone at a farm sale for $10 a couple months ago. It’s funny that I had to convince her it was worth the $10. A labeled near mint boxed hone. It must have taken near 100 text messages and photos over an hour. At the end I was tempted to leave work sick and buy it myself is she wasn’t going to.

I still buy or trade for the nice NOS SRs or something unique. Always on the hunt.

Have great shaves.

That's a great find in the wild!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Have great shaves.

Wonderful way to begin with minimalism.

I don't know what a Scotch stone is exactly or what one looks like. Several gentlemen, some on this thread, talk about theirs but I've never seen one. Still, I'd buy probably any decent looking boxed mint stone for $10. Bet all of us would, but I'm sure we're mostly far from the norm.

Several decades ago I used to go to yard sales almost every Saturday. It was pretty usual to see old razors, mostly safety razors, being offered for a nickel. Oftentimes they were covered with soap scum and whiskers having not been rinsed before being put away. I never saw anyone buy one. I always thought to myself that nobody would buy that old junk. At that time I had a full beard and no interest in anything shaving related.

Well, that's not entirely true because at that time I still had my Sears strop and my Sears straight razor. I'd purchased both in college and tried to SR shave. I have the scars to prove it, too. I didn't use them but I kept 'em around.

Your friend was very fortunate in finding someone like you to mentor him. You inspired him and taught him enough so that he could at least get past the first hurdle (keeping his blood inside his skin).

I believe maybe I lost the Sears razor. The Sears strop stayed around for decades but I must have thrown it out not that many years ago. Both were purchased for not much money in about 1966 but both were nice kit. Not that I knew how had any glimmer of a clue how to begin to correctly use either.

Your friend was fortunate in knowing you.

Nice story. Thanks for sharing it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was quite good.

I didn't do a lot of work, so the shave could have been better, but this razor is very very sharp.

12-21-19.White-Tanifuiji.Valobra.DB.HA.AP-Gel.Kit.JPG

The photo was taken after my shave so the brush is wet, etc.

Valobra is a soap I've not used in a long time, but today I took out of storage several of my Italian soaps. Valobra is a very good soap for what it is.

ConnaughtOrderj.Cella.Vitos.3P.ABM.Valobra..png

It cost me about $16 when I bought it from Connaught. So, not the cheapest but not expensive either for a nice and pretty hard Italian soap. It performs nicely. No appreciable post shave, but not drying either (I think). To me it smells like soap; the order above says it's a fern scent; the container says almond, but it smells like soap. Not a bad scent at all, but soap.

This is a very sharp razor, my white Tanifuji. Honed to a finish on the DCA.

Oh, in the photo, Rave @Raven Koenes, I crammed about as much stuff into the light box photo as I could without showing the white sides of the box. If you look very closely to the left of the splash you can see a tiny sliver of the white box.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom