What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave, going after 72 hour whiskers, was very nice.

11-4-19.MWF.Wade.copperManchurian.640.JPG

It's been a very long time since I've used The Fat. The puck was very very dried out. I bloomed it with hot water while in the shower. It loaded, lathered, and performed very well indeed. In the beginning this was a soap I used daily. I can see why.

The Wade's edge was great as usual. I also used my favorite and best brush.

1572879353457.png

I'm still counting my SR shaves.

HyaluronicAcidForFaces.480.jpg

Good stuff this.

Dragonsbeard.SkinFoodSplash.480.9-26-19.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was okay.

1572975168857.png

This Porsche was built to celebrate today's shave, #356, so maybe I should buy one?

11-5-19.Torrey.DB.Horse.Kit.640.JPG

I am still not feeling very well (although I'm getting better I think). I had to rest during my shower and also during my shave. So, just getting shaved was the goal. It was not a great shave. Not in the league with yesterday's shave. Maybe that's me. Maybe this Torrey edge isn't as good as the Wade's edge. Really I don't much care right now.

I have managed to work yesterday and this morning. I feel like the bug is beginning to wear off. My cough is better (although taking a cough suppressant makes it hard to be sure). I don't really feel sick. All I have is some chest congestion, which is clearly diminishing, and an intermittent very weak feeling. It's weird to have to sit down and rest in the middle of a shower, but it is what it is.

Yesterday's experiment with MWF was instructive. Boy, did it dry out my skin. Other than that, I liked it very much, Mrs. Lincoln.

Dragonsbeard.SkinFoodSplash.480.9-26-19.JPG

Boy, is this a great splash or what!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday shave was very good.

1573134717518.png

I should have a 357. I don't, but now I have 357 straight razor shaves under my belt.

11-7-19.ERN.MdC.Mondial-Ivory.Kit.640.JPG

Today's kit was efficient, and sweet, and smooth.

MdC? What can I say? Loads when you wave the brush near the puck. Lathers so easily you can't believe it. Seems perfect right away, but becomes better as you add water to the lather on your face.

It is simply a wonderful shaving soap judging by the shaves it delivers. On top of that the scent is glorious.

This ERN edge is wonderful, too.

I've not decided about a splash. I just applied a few drops of hyaluronic acid.

1573135197836.png

I'm pleased with my straight razor shaves. However, I know they are not as close or smooth as shaves I can get with safety razors. I'd expected to be closer to that level of straight razor shave by now. Still, complaining would be wrong. My shaves are pretty decent and very comfortable. I enjoy the straight razor.

By all measures related to comfort the straight is, in my view and experience, a superior tool. I'd like to improve as a user of the tool so that my shaves become very much closer and smoother. I suppose I'll just naturally improve. I don't know of anything more I could do other than perhaps more passes. Really, it's all okay, but perfection is the goal, and the standard is what I can achieve with my safety razors. Well, not the comfort standard as that's clearly a straight. All in all, it's all okay.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm pleased with my straight razor shaves. However, I know they are not as close or smooth as shaves I can get with safety razors. I'd expected to be closer to that level of straight razor shave by now. Still, complaining would be wrong. My shaves are pretty decent and very comfortable. I enjoy the straight razor.

By all measures related to comfort the straight is, in my view and experience, a superior tool. I'd like to improve as a user of the tool so that my shaves become very much closer and smoother. I suppose I'll just naturally improve. I don't know of anything more I could do other than perhaps more passes. Really, it's all okay, but perfection is the goal, and the standard is what I can achieve with my safety razors. Well, not the comfort standard as that's clearly a straight. All in all, it's all okay.

Just yesterday I was thinking about your shaving journey and how you feel about your safety razors, whether you miss them or not, especially your Feather and so on. I'll have to ask you, I thought. Well, you beat me to it.

1n3kjq.jpg

I wonder what you'll be shaving with by the time I've finished reading this epic? What will I be shaving with?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just yesterday I was thinking about your shaving journey and how you feel about your safety razors, whether you miss them or not, especially your Feather and so on. I'll have to ask you, I thought. Well, you beat me to it.

View attachment 1032897

I wonder what you'll be shaving with by the time I've finished reading this epic? What will I be shaving with?

Yes, I can read your mind. You should ask Big Nurse how to protect yourself.

1573168312091.png

These only work for Mike and Rave.

Really Big Nurse can help. Usually she will if you ask very nicely (and she takes bribes).

The problem is not me knowing what you're thinking (I can do that). The problem is me knowing what I'm thinking (that is much harder).

Happy shaves,

Jim

BOSC.2.LogicProfessorBOSC.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Yes, I can read your mind. You should ask Big Nurse how to protect yourself.

View attachment 1032924

These only work for Mike and Rave.

Really Big Nurse can help. Usually she will if you ask very nicely (and she takes bribes).

The problem is not me knowing what you're thinking (I can do that). The problem is me knowing what I'm thinking (that is much harder).

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1032926
Your tinfoil hat looks way cooler than mine.
images.jpg

But like Fatip says:

La Perfezione è solo un punto di vista
Perfection is only a point of view
73165361_2470267326545075_722990098546688000_o.jpg

and

Ho molti difetti, ma mia madre dice che sono bellissimo.
-----
I have many faults, but my mother says I am beautiful.
75143053_2464385573799917_5488083307881037824_n.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave would be hard to beat.

11-8-19.Wade.MdC.MS30.Kit.640.JPG

This is my old Wade. Great edge. The entire kit is great. This MS 30 mm (actually 33 mm) silvertip is soft as a cloud with great backbone. Is the Chubby 3 brush as good as this one?

MdC seems to not have damaging post-post shave at least with my other products. The actual shave with MdC would be very very hard to beat. Besides, and for bonus points, the scent is wonderful as is the ease with which it loads and lathers. It is a luxurious feeling soap and performs like a soap of its class and expense should.

Hyaluronic acid + Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash will complete my shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was good.

11-9-19.Dorko.MdC.APShave.Gel.640.JPG

This APShave gel-tip paired well well MdC. Don't all brushes?

The Dorko seemed better (maybe) than it did last time I used it, but my ERN and Wade (and maybe the Torrey) may be sharper by a tad. Still, it's a factory edge, and decades old, and it is a very good edge.

1573319766966.png

Counting my SR shaves!

Hyaluronic acid rocks on my face at least.

LilacVegetal.Mine.480.4-18.JPG

The Veg is my best game day splash. The bottle is far less full than it was when the photo was taken.

how 'bout them dawgs.png

Big game tonight. Missouri is still in the hunt for the SEC East. They'll be ready to play, but the Veg virtually guarantees Georgia will prevail.

Happy shaves,

Jim

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thursday shave was very good.

View attachment 1032744

I should have a 357. I don't, but now I have 357 straight razor shaves under my belt.

View attachment 1032745

Today's kit was efficient, and sweet, and smooth.

MdC? What can I say? Loads when you wave the brush near the puck. Lathers so easily you can't believe it. Seems perfect right away, but becomes better as you add water to the lather on your face.

It is simply a wonderful shaving soap judging by the shaves it delivers. On top of that the scent is glorious.

This ERN edge is wonderful, too.

I've not decided about a splash. I just applied a few drops of hyaluronic acid.

View attachment 1032750

Happy shaves,

Jim
Get your razor to 12k and do a .5, .25 and .1 diamond pasted balsa progression and it will blow your socks off. Easily as good or better than a DE shave. You haven’t shaved until you have a 200k shave.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Get your razor to 12k and do a .5, .25 and .1 diamond pasted balsa progression and it will blow your socks off. Easily as good or better than a DE shave. You haven’t shaved until you have a 200k shave.

Steve, I don't have that kit.

However, I have four Japanese razors (three or four) which were honed on jnats and then finished on .25 micron diamond and .125 CBN; these were all done by the vendor. They're impressively sharp, but no more impressive than my best Double Convex Ark edges (my Wade and my ERN). If anything, my edges are better.

I've considered trying the diamond and CBN kit, but I'm not sure I need it. Perhaps I do, but not just now.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Nice handle! I like what you've made.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Being a machinist has some benefits. I made a bronze insert for this handle I made for my GC as the titanium threads always felt rough to me when tightening the cap. I even drilled it out a bit to compensate for the added weight of the bronze insert to get a handle weight of 37 grams. It is half the weight of the factory handle, and it will fit all of my 3 piece razors.

20191109_193056[1].jpg

Thanks for the compliments!

Happy shaves

Doug

Top Bottom