What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This morning's shave with the Phoenix Bakelite OC Slant is holding up well enough, but it is not the closest shave I've ever had.

The comfort level has held up very well. My face and neck have had only a teensy amount of prickly irritation. Almost unnoticeable. Almost insignificant. But, I'm particularly picky about comfort.

My suspicion is my learning curve with the razor has not been completely climbed. I expect improvement in closeness and comfort. I'm thinking of maybe (not just yet) skipping the WTG pass with this razor, at least on my neck, and doing, instead, two ATG passes + one XTG pass. That should be an easy experiment as my neck has two directions which seem almost equally ATG.

Yes, I really like the razor. It is a keeper. I am considering whether I should buy one or two more in case they go out of production? PAA seems to do that. Their razor models come and go.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I really want to try a slant, but every time I look at the Phoenix Bakelite it makes me think of a Bic disposable! Your review is making it tempting, though.

I'll say it again--this thread has been incredibly informative! I am still road-testing a bunch of blades I received and now have some others I need to try. Jim and Esox, you have inspired me to start documenting my daily results.

The weight concerns me. I think I'd have a hard time shaving with something that light. I know I had a hard time shaving with a Schick Extreme disposable. It was like shaving with a toothbrush, but it was a damn sharp disposable!

Start a shave journal in this forum: Journals and Diaries Mines 12 pages now and it does help me keep a frame of reference. I've read it over a few times to remind myself of certain things.

My new Stirling badger arrived today. It has the fan shape, a shape new to me. I'll review it soon. I noticed zero bad smell to the brush.

The Stirling order included a boar brush which looks, on first glance, like it will be a great brush. I'll begin the break in process today, but the brush looks and feels like it could be used without any break in process. The brush doesn't smell bad either.

(I've not gotten this boar or the badger wet yet though.)

The delivery guys also brought my beautiful, very heavy, extremely heavy, fine looking, very nice, new SS Colonial General razor, but I have no blades yet.

But, wait, that's not all...

There were two vegan shaving soaps from an artisan soap maker in England. I will review one soon.

Plus, a vintage Gillette NEW SC is in hand. My first SC, the one I shave with, is very nice, but this new one, at the same price, really is quite spectacular by comparison. It may live in the office cabinet behind glass.

What a haul!

This stuff wasn't ordered all at the same time, but decided to show up en masse.

I have only a few items in transit, and there is very little I am even considering buying for a while. I have plenty to keep me off the streets, and better quit spending or I'll be on the street (or in the doghouse).

Part of the above paragraph is subject to change. Part is not. Guess which is which for an entry into my Santa Claus's Beard Naming Contest.

My wife is aware of some, maybe all, of my razors, and my quest to find the perfect razor. She mentioned that when I do, I can sell everything else on ebay.

It wasn't a command.

She did figure out one day, years ago, the difference between one gun and another, and asked me to write down a list of every gun I owned. It's not like I have a huge collection either. I complied, and I was afraid to buy another gun for several years. Now, of course, I have two or three new shotguns. You know, for home defense!

How would she know if I've reached razor nirvana? Razors aren't as big, or expensive, as guns, too, so there's that. Still...

Happy shaves,

Jim

I spotted the mailman up the street today and met him on the porch. Life is good :).

I have pics, so it happened! :001_tt2:

I was once asked by the local Firearms Officer of the police force here to name all my guns. He got impatient waiting for me to remember them all lol.

The list I gave to the insurance company at the time was 3 pages long. Talk about funny looks... haha

I'm thinking of maybe (not just yet) skipping the WTG pass with this razor, at least on my neck, and doing, instead, two ATG passes + one XTG pass. That should be an easy experiment as my neck has two directions which seem almost equally ATG.

Try XTG first, in two directions even, then ATG. Ease into it and see how your skin reacts. If you're fairly confident you wont have any issues, try it. Only one way to find out! BOSC! lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
But no pics! :crying:

Remember the old saying... "Pics or it didn't happen!"
IMG_2675.JPG IMG_2676.JPG IMG_2677.JPG IMG_2678.JPG IMG_2679.JPG IMG_2680.JPG

Camera pictures. Not a photographer. Etc.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Nice brushes. I really like the handle on that boar brush. It may get a bit floppy for a month mid way through the break in but it should be a very nice brush.

I cant tell which cap is on the SC, but I dont think its the SC cap. It is in very good condition though. Maybe a candidate for plating.

I know nothing of the General but I bet it is heavy lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The weight concerns me. I think I'd have a hard time shaving with something that light. I know I had a hard time shaving with a Schick Extreme disposable. It was like shaving with a toothbrush, but it was a damn sharp disposable!

The light weight of the PAA BOCS seems to be no problem, actually. I'm surprised.

Its threads are 1032 so it would be easy to replace the handle to add weight, but it seems unnecessary.

The razor really is magic.

Start a shave journal in this forum: Journals and Diaries. Mines 12 pages now and it does help me keep a frame of reference. I've read it over a few times to remind myself of certain things.

I use this thread like that to a degree, but this has the advantage of not being a journal.

I love that others have shared their stories, and their problems. I like that we are all trying to find that consistently great Damn Comfortable Shave, and working together to get there. I like that we help one another.

Maybe one day. Not today.

Enablers R us.png

Today we are enablers. Speaking of which, pictures?

I spotted the mailman up the street today and met him on the porch. Life is good :).

I have pics, so it happened! :001_tt2:

No, it didn't. No pictures. Those are imaginary pictures until we see them. Only real pictures document BOSCness and support those needing the help of enablers.

You are helpful, right? And, BOSC?

I was once asked by the local Firearms Officer of the police force here to name all my guns. He got impatient waiting for me to remember them all lol.

I would have told him to pound sand, and he would have expected worse, but we live in different places. I probably have fewer guns than half the guys in my neighborhood. One guy has none, so the crooks know where to go.

The list I gave to the insurance company at the time was 3 pages long. Talk about funny looks... haha

Small print?

As long as he insured you, right.

Try XTG first, in two directions even, then ATG. Ease into it and see how your skin reacts. If you're fairly confident you wont have any issues, try it. Only one way to find out! BOSC! lol.

We'll see. It's not for now, just a thought. I really do have two apparent ATG directions. I assume one of them is actually XTG, so if I did what I said I was thinking of doing, I would also be doing what you suggested.

We are fully BOSC.

BOSC R US.png

Yes, we are.

Well, one of us is. The other doesn't even have pictures.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Nice brushes. I really like the handle on that boar brush. It may get a bit floppy for a month mid way through the break in but it should be a very nice brush.

I cant tell which cap is on the SC, but I dont think its the SC cap. It is in very good condition though. Maybe a candidate for plating.

I know nothing of the General but I bet it is heavy lol.

The NEW SC is the same one you and I looked at before, and the cap is not the most desirable cap. The razor is in amazing shape.

The General doesn't weigh more than the spare tire in the trunk of a Mercedes. Nor less. It is very heavy. I'll weigh it sometime soon.

I have a nice kitchen scale. Very accurate. I use it to weigh coffee every morning before grinding. There is an exact amount beyond which my wife complains. When she's out of town or something, the amount weighed goes up.

The scale is handy for her baking, too. I use it for various uses, but mostly coffee. It is plenty accurate for razors.

My guess is the PAA BOCS is one of the lightest real razors on the planet, and the SS Colonial General one of the heaviest. They say the brass General is heavier.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Pics!

Update: I shaved this morning. The same Gillette Yellow out for another round. Easy relaxed 3 pass shave, just playing with the angle and cleaning things up a bit. I should have waited though because I got mail and I could have used it!

The shave itself went well, but my lather was a bit too thin so I felt the blade this time! I even had some light irritation on my neck, but minor really.

I'm not planning on always being a speed shaver lol. I do enjoy the time and the process, but at the same time, I enjoy the challenge a single pass BBS offers, and it is a challenge.

Tomorrows shave will just be another simple clean up at a relaxed pace, but I'll put the Polsilver back in and I cant wait to try this Bay Rum cream. I'll get back to directly ATG shaves Sunday with a Personna Lab Blue.

The bowl is really nice, but it is a "second". The only flaw is with the colour in the glazing. The entire bowl is glazed and sealed as it is I believe turned clay, but being a second, the colour isnt consistent. I dont care about that. The Bay Rum cream smells really good. Strong, bold, deep scent.

I'm sure I could use that razor, but it would feel strange the first time or two. Magic, it is after a little magic wand right? lol

That was back when we had to register all guns, long and short, and they kept track of each and every one too. $33 BILLION in tax payers money down the drain.

I attached a rider for my guns when I was moose hunting. I wanted some replaced if the canoe rolled over or something. They're still on a rider with the house insurance along with the art I have.

I'm one of the few remaining life members at my club, and I'm insured for certain things through the clubs policy, but my firearms use has dropped significantly in the last 10 years. Its one of the largest state of the art clubs in Ontario, if not all of Canada. They also have a fantastic Juniors program with several Olympic class shooters.

East Elgin Sportsmen's Association – a family friendly sporting club with an emphasis on safety, fun and education.

I assume one of them is actually XTG, so if I did what I said I was thinking of doing, I would also be doing what you suggested.

We are fully BOSC.

0f49146fe62f0dd5d32a2f2ea01fdf42ea66c4d5ba97523c2abe17d7d2c0f2f7.jpg

Hahaha

My guess is the PAA BOCS is one of the lightest real razors on the planet, and the SS Colonial General one of the heaviest. They say the brass General is heavier.

I'd bet the Schick Extreme disposable is lighter! I had to hang on to it for fear of it floating away lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Pics!

I'm sure I could use that razor, but it would feel strange the first time or two. Magic, it is after a little magic wand right? lol

That was back when we had to register all guns, long and short, and they kept track of each and every one too. $33 BILLION in tax payers money down the drain.

I attached a rider for my guns when I was moose hunting. I wanted some replaced if the canoe rolled over or something. They're still on a rider with the house insurance along with the art I have.

I'm one of the few remaining life members at my club, and I'm insured for certain things through the clubs policy, but my firearms use has dropped significantly in the last 10 years. Its one of the largest state of the art clubs in Ontario, if not all of Canada. They also have a fantastic Juniors program with several Olympic class shooters.

East Elgin Sportsmen's Association – a family friendly sporting club with an emphasis on safety, fun and education.

View attachment 830513

Hahaha

I'd bet the Schick Extreme disposable is lighter! I had to hang on to it for fear of it floating away lol.

That's why I said "real razors." Disposables are not real razors (except on plane rides, and shortly thereafter).

My guess is the PAA BOCS is one of the lightest real razors on the planet ...
At 16g it's 1.5g heavier than the Merkur 45 (that's probably due in part to the brass nut in its handle, the Merkur 45 handle threads are simply tapped into the Bakelite).

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've been looking at my new brushes from Stirling.

This brush on the left is my new Stirling boar.

Stirling boar.pngSemogue SOC.jpg

The brush on the right is a Semogue SOC boar, just like the one I own and love.

Both pictures are stock photos of new, unbroken in brushes. The handle of the Stirling boar is very attractive in person. I do not buy brushes to look at, and I have no idea how the handle feels in use, but it sure is nice looking. Very elegant.

The Stirling boar is 24 X 57. My Semogue SOC boar is 24 X 56. They are very similar brushes at first glance.

My mostly broken in SOC looks much different from the picture. It has a large bloom, and looks, frankly, sort of ratty. But it works great, and I love it. Apparently, ratty is good in the same way split ends are good on a boar. I could put it in a toilet paper tube and make it look better, but why?

One of the things which distinguishes the Semogue SOC is the quality of its boar.
Semogue brushes.jpg
You can see that the SOC uses boar unique to it. I have a Semogue 830, too, and its boar is considerably different from the SOC.

The SOC is also very hard to break in, but, once broken in is a wonderful, soft brush.

I have no idea yet about the quality of the Stirling boar. It looks to be excellent as a brush. Surprisingly so. It was really just an add on purchase for me, and very inexpensive. I think I'm going to like it.

Right now, it is soaking in water in the refrigerator for three days with daily time outs for towel drying of the ends of the bristles. That's the first step of my break in process.

Turning from boars to badgers...

The brush on the left is my new Stirling. I love the color, but it comes in black for people who would prefer a boring color.

stirling-24mm-fan-knot-finest-badger-shave-brush-butterscotch__96185.1480115565.800.800.jpg Stirling Ivory.jpg
The brush on the right is the ivory handled Stirling I've been using.

The new brush is 24 X 50. The older brush is 26 X 58.

These are stock photos of these brushes, new. My older brush has considerable bloom and looks much fuller.

The older Stirling is a brush I've come to really like a lot. I've been using it mostly to face lather, and it has quickly become a friend.

BOSC R US.png

I bought the newer brush because it is supposed to be better for face lathering, and I wanted to find out if it really is.

Also, I bought it because I was so impressed with the older Stirling. Whether I will like it as much as I like the older brush remains to be seen.

Tomorrow I will begin to find out.

Just looking at the two badger brushes the newer brush looks far smaller, about half the size of the older brush, looking at it from the top. Of course, it hasn't been used, and it hasn't bloomed at all, and it actually is a smaller knot, but visually the difference is striking.

It's going to be fun to see how these new brushes perform.

Enablers R us.png

It's also going to be fun seeing whether you buy these brushes, too. If they are as nice to use as they look like they will be, you'd be crazy not to buy one, or, on the other hand, if you are BOSC, whether you acquire them or not won't matter. Crazy if you do, crazy if you don't.

Logical enough to be the logic professor at BOSC University I am.

Oh, the new badger doesn't smell except for a slight scent of shaving soap. The first of my Stirling badgers arrived with an much stronger shaving soap smell. I won't do anything to break this new brush in. I won't wash it or anything. Like its cousin it will skip boot camp and go immediately to the front lines.

More on the fan shaped brush tomorrow unless I change my mind.

I'm excited to hear what you have to say about those new brushes! They look fantastic and make me want to order all of them... Esox has gotten me looking at higher end badger brushes though, and then I discovered some YouTube videos on shavemac badgers. That was a heck of a rabbit hole. Then I noticed the -19% VAT if outside the EU and realized the prices I was seeing in euros were much lower and now I have my heart set on one. Still debating Fan vs Bulb, and 24 vs 26 mm knot, and the specific loft that I want. Slowly getting there. Very slowly.

Also glad you got the PAA BOCS working for you. I haven't been a fan of the weight of my aluminum razors that I currently own, so doubt I will like the bakelite version. If they come out with something in metal they might have my interest. I had trouble typing that razor's name out as I kept trying to write "BOSC" instead. Hm, coincidence maybe?

Long update post below:

Had to do a travel shave today which worked ok. Not comfortable. I used my baili bd179 which I haven't touched for two months or so, also used a polsilver for the first time. I figured my baili was always very safe and I found the angle naturally the first few times I used it. Wow is it mild to me now. I don't think the blade was the issue, as polsilvers should be pretty sharp. I gave myself several weepers as I couldn't seem to get most areas of my face close enough. Ended up holding the razor by the very end of the handle so I couldn't use any pressure on it. It feels ok now, but I had some soreness on my chin earlier in the day. The shave has held up relatively well, still CCS most places. Started out at CCS+, maybe DFS with a few areas of BBS but my neck was not shaved very close.

I have one more day with the Rockwell left, then sending it off to the next person on the pass-around. I've decided to take quite a few of my razor heads with me, and a couple handles. Nearly every razor I own is a 3 piece, and I love the RazoRock stainless handles I have. Also going to take the Hawk V2 with me to compare directly with the Supply Single Edge V2.0 that will arrive by Monday at the latest. Excited to give that one a go for sure. Most initial reviews of it have been very positive. The razor heads I'm going to take are the Maggard V2 and V3a, RR OLD, RR German 37 and EJ DE89. Also taking my Parker Variant. I want to try shimming the DE89 and Variant to see if the added rigidity affects the shave much. The German 37 I haven't had enough time with yet, and I just need to try out the V2 OC against the OLD to see which I prefer. The OLD for interviews or if I had a rough shave I need to recover from. So they all have a specific purpose for the first couple weeks away. Once I get things more dialed in, I'll settle on an order for the coming months, using a few of them each for a few weeks to a month to really dial them in.

I have decided that the Rockwell may not be the magic bullet for me after all. The R4 plate seems to shave me decently well, but I can't say it was much closer than my baili I used today (it was slightly smoother as I used pressure with the baili...). The R3 seems very comfortable and efficient, but then I check my neck and there is too much leftover. And my ATG experiment with the R3 was an utter failure. The R5 seems a touch too much blade for my skin as a daily razor. I think the issue with the R5 plate might be rigidity, but no time to double check with a shim in it. In all, I wasn't as impressed as I was hoping I would be. The first two days with it were fantastic, but then I began to experience the aftereffects of ATG shaving, then too much aggression. The R4 plate is probably the only one I would use daily, so it wouldn't be much of an adjustable for me. I also am not convinced that it did much better for me than my Parker Variant, and I love being able to turn up the Variant on my later passes to really get a close shave. But we will see how things turn out over the next few months. My shaves finally seem to be settling in, and I think I know what I will need to do going forward to avoid shave irritation. If my current irritation resolves, I think I could be totally irritation free for the first time in my entire shaving life. That would be the pinnacle for me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm excited to hear what you have to say about those new brushes! They look fantastic and make me want to order all of them...
I think I could be totally irritation free for the first time in my entire shaving life. That would be the pinnacle for me.

I am not surprised about the Rockwell. Lacks rigidity. I was hoping it would be great, but it made sense to me to doubt it.

Listen up tomorrow and in the next few days as I review the Stirling fan brush. Could be a good one. The price is right compared to some of those you're drooling over.

You certainly have a plan with your razors for traveling. Sounds like it will be an interesting adventure in many ways. Hard to argue with the man with a plan.

Your plan is based on a whole lot of recent success especially relative to a long period of bad irritation. Thankfully, that irritation is becoming less and less of a problem for you. That is a major accomplishment. I'm proud to have played a very minor role in helping you get through it, to the other side. You must be close to nirvana.

BOSC R US.png

Can it be overdone? Yes. We have to control the variables or it becomes chaotic.

I'm thinking about how to do a rotation. It sounds like you're on a similar course, refining what you shave with, and narrowing the choices, but also leaving your options open.

My own SE journey is one I want to pursue. Great rigidity. Etc. When our new SE razors arrive (actually, mine is in hand, but not the blades), we will be equipped to carry on.

As I ponder the rotation and my objectives I want to remember that my #1 objective always is a Damn Comfortable Shave. I am close to getting that on a regular basis with several razors, and I don't need to get too far away from what I know works. Yes, I want to try everything necessary to discover what's best, but I need too to keep it simple.

The key for me is that Rule #1: Remember Objective #1.

Not buying into the Rockwell fantasy was a very good sign. No, I'm not saying the Rockwell is a bad razor for everyone, but you have irritation issues like crazy, so rigidity has got to be important for you (and for me).

Enablers R us.png

I know that Phoenix Bakelite doesn't sound reasonable, etc. Trust me or don't, but it really is not the sum of its parts. It's a case of 2+2+pixie dust=17. There's something unexplainable and magical about how well it works compared to how cute and silly it looks and feels in your hand. It's way aggressive looking, but it isn't way aggressive. It looks scary, but isn't scary to use. The blade is right in your face, but not rough. It is obviously too light, but the whiskers are gone. Etc. $20. Steep angle only.

I hope you can post during your travels.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have decided that the Rockwell may not be the magic bullet for me after all. The R4 plate seems to shave me decently well, but I can't say it was much closer than my baili I used today (it was slightly smoother as I used pressure with the baili...). The R3 seems very comfortable and efficient, but then I check my neck and there is too much leftover. And my ATG experiment with the R3 was an utter failure. The R5 seems a touch too much blade for my skin as a daily razor. I think the issue with the R5 plate might be rigidity, but no time to double check with a shim in it. In all, I wasn't as impressed as I was hoping I would be.

The Baili and Weishi type razors are very mild so you'd likely need more passes instead of more pressure. Sort of like my Tech, it will get me to the same place as my Grande, but I can do in one pass with the Grande, what takes me 5 passes in my Tech. Milder razor, smaller bites of stubble. They whittle it down slowly and gently, but by the time you factor in as many passes as you need, you may as well have a razor with the exposure and rigidity to do it with as few passes as possible.

It also sounds from your experience with the Rockwell, gap doesnt work as well for you as it may for some others.

The more I read of your experiences the more I think you'd like a Fatip. Rigidity equals a smooth shave. Less gap equals a more comfortable shave, provided you find and use the proper angle, much like a straight razor.

I think the biggest thing with the Rockwell is its stainless steel. Stainless steel is heavy and that weight will help it do a lot of work, but weight cant be a substitute for rigidity, and either can gap. What I believe that type of adjustable razor does, is help you find the right combination of base plates and blades that work in concert with the angle you tend to shave with most naturally. As you said, if you owned it you'd only really use a single plate. Thats the plate that matches you.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This morning I'm not sure what to say about my shave.

After one pass I realized I could probably quit.

No, my face and neck weren't quite BBS after one pass, but they were close enough to go to work.

I didn't stop shaving. I did three passes. Now I'm very close to BBS everywhere.

Wickham Soap.png

My soap was brand new to me - Wickham Soap Company 1912 Cashmere - maybe new to you, too. Do I like it? It lathers perfectly well. I mean it lathers exactly like the lather of my dreams. The exact consistency I want, etc. It smells very nice. A tad similar to Arlington according to my uneducated nose. The smell is strong. The glide is good. The residual glide is good.

stirling-24mm-fan-butterscotch.jpg
New brush, too, the Stirling Fan. Badger. A wonderful brush. The handle looks too big, but it is not. The knot looks too small, but it is perfect. This may already be my favorite brush. I would definitely recommend it over the larger Stirling (and I really like that brush).

I'm not sure about the shave's comfort, and will add more about that later, but it was definitely a close shave.

I used the Phoenix Bakelite OC Slant + the same Blue Diamond blade.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This is the hardest part for me to decide on, bulb or fan knot. I just cant make up my mind. I have looked at the brush before and likely should have bought one when I ordered my Stirling samples, but that one review I read talked me out of it. The only negative said was that it hung on to the lather.

With as much lather as you make, I doubt thats an issue tough lol. :001_tongu

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
More on this morning's shave now.

I should have quit after one pass!

Pain Relief.jpg

I need to change something, and maybe I need some help to figure it out.

My shave was too close, and I have significant razor burn.

I am pretty sure my angle with the razor was too steep. I am pretty sure I, by shaving with the razor so that it left tracks made by the combs, hurt myself. I damaged my skin.

I'm willing to be in the Phoenix Bakelite OC Slant subset group called the P-BOCS Slant Steep Ravor Shavers.

I am not willing to be a member of the Scrape Against Skin Alliance.

My guess is the correct angle is not an angle which leaves comb tracks. Instead, I think the correct angle with this razor is an angle slightly less steep.

I hope guys who know about this will help me figure this out.

Today my shave was very, very far from being a Damn Comfortable Shave.

the end of the world is not near.png

This isn't the end of the world, but it is rather unpleasant.

Thanks for any help.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Top Bottom