What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What was meant in this thread by "proper moisturizer" rather than using witch hazel? I don't know why alcohol after shave splashes are called "moisturizers" and how people are worried about 14% alcohol in witch hazel when alcohol splashes are like 40-50%.

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly nor whom you're asking nor who said whatever.

Cremo.480.cropped.1-19..jpeg

For me, a proper moisturizer would be one thing, above, or something similar.

GroomingDept.Serum.Rejuvenating.Unscented.480JPG.JPG

In recent months I also use, most of the time, a few drop of GD Serum on my damp skin after shaving and rinsing and partially air drying, but I think of it as rejuvenating serum. Others might think of it as a moisturizer.

I do not think of cologne and aftershave as a moisturizer at all. Why would anyone, unless the product were much different from the ones I use which is, I suppose, possible?

Oftentimes I make in my hand a balm. Cremo Moisturizer + a splash. I'd consider that a moisturizer.

Probably I don't understand the question.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday my shave was good.

6-17-19.Fredericks.Kit.640.ItalianFlag.MallardFougere.JPG

Once again, the blade was my Fredericks Celebrated Razor. The rest of the kit was good, too.
  • Omega Italian Flag boar.
  • Grooming Dept soap, preshave, serum.
  • Cremo Moisturizer.
  • PAA Beach splash.
Good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly nor whom you're asking nor who said whatever.

View attachment 991255

For me, a proper moisturizer would be one thing, above, or something similar.

View attachment 991256

In recent months I also use, most of the time, a few drop of GD Serum on my damp skin after shaving and rinsing and partially air drying, but I think of it as rejuvenating serum. Others might think of it as a moisturizer.

I do not think of cologne and aftershave as a moisturizer at all. Why would anyone, unless the product were much different from the ones I use which is, I suppose, possible?

Oftentimes I make in my hand a balm. Cremo Moisturizer + a splash. I'd consider that a moisturizer.

Probably I don't understand the question.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Monday my shave was good.

View attachment 991485

Once again, the blade was my Fredericks Celebrated Razor. The rest of the kit was good, too.
  • Omega Italian Flag boar.
  • Grooming Dept soap, preshave, serum.
  • Cremo Moisturizer.
  • PAA Beach splash.
Good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Thanks for your tips. One of the first few posts on this thread was discussing it.
https://www.amazon.com/Pinaud-Clubman-CU-403000-after-lotion/dp/B000053L6Y
Even the pinaud clubman alcohol splash is called a "aftershave lotion"

I just use an alcohol splash with a nivea balm afterwards, sometimes i mix the nivea balm with dickinson witch hazen for a drying effect.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for your tips. One of the first few posts on this thread was discussing it.
https://www.amazon.com/Pinaud-Clubman-CU-403000-after-lotion/dp/B000053L6Y
Even the pinaud clubman alcohol splash is called a "aftershave lotion"

I just use an alcohol splash with a nivea balm afterwards, sometimes i mix the nivea balm with dickinson witch hazen for a drying effect.

Aftershave lotion does not mean moisturizer. Some aftershaves are quite soothing.

888.RazoRock888.480-.5-31-18.JPG

I really like this one as an aftershave "lotion." To me it has a great feel. Of course, that's just me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was nice.

6-18-19.Torrey.BladeHolderSnap.Kit.136.640.JPG

My kit was good.
  • Torrey 136 with blade holder snaps.
  • Zenith Manchurian.
  • Unscented Groom Dept duck soap, GD serum, GD preshave.
  • Cremo Moisturizer.
  • PAA Beach splash.
Good kit and good shave.

I can't say the edge improved with more honing on the DCA, so I think it is max'd out.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2019-6-18_12-49-19.png

Just checked the tracking on my new Dorko coming from across the pond. It is finally in the same city as me. I suspect I might see it in the mailbox tomorrow or Thursday.

proxy.php

It is likely to be a razor I like because of several attributes.
  • The color appeals to me and is a color I don't have.
  • The blade will be my widest blade + it's supposed to look wider than it actually is.
  • Even though I know shoulder-less razors are dangerous and hard to hone* I like looking at them.
As a public service...
  • I am trying to spread the word about dangerous hard to hone shoulder-less razors*. You can help.
  • I offer a free to members only shoulder-less and Torrey and Dorko disposal service*. Just send me these razor shaped objects. Without any charge to you I will make sure they are properly and safely disposed of in an environmentally friendly manner.
  • Trust me, that is a very good deal.
Happy shaves,

Jim

I was just about to answer you call and send one of my dangerous/shoulderless/hard-to-hone razors your way Jim. When at the last minute, I realised, something wasn't quite right.
This is the razor shaped object in question.
HoshTom.jpg

It meets all the catagories.
1: It's very dangerous.
2: It's shoulderless
3: It's hard-to-hone

But, and this is a big but, it's not a Dorko or a Torrey - unfortunately. So, I'll just have to keep it for myself.

With a bit of luck Jim, some other loser gent will take you up on your kind scam offer :001_tt2:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I was just about to answer you call and send one of my dangerous/shoulderless/hard-to-hone razors your way Jim. When at the last minute, I realised, something wasn't quite right.
View attachment 991891

But, and this is a big but, it's not a Dorko or a Torrey - unfortunately. So, I'll just have to keep it for myself.

With a bit of luck Jim, some other loser gent will take you up on your kind scam offer :001_tt2:

I have failed in my mission to be helpful!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was interesting, intriguing, and weird.

6-19-19.JohnWatts.Frameback.Kit.640.JPG

You can see right off this is a frame-back. It's my first (and only), and my first shave with any frame-back, a John Watts Sheffield (pre-1892).

I’m curious how you like to shave with the frame-back

It was not easy to hone. I was not when I finished honing it completely sure about it being sharp enough (but, then again, I never am).

JohnWatts.Frameback.&.Torrey.136.DCA.6-19-19.640JPG.JPG

I wasn't sure with today's Torrey honing either.

upload_2019-6-19_15-13-48.jpeg

It's very hard to know now, too, post-shave, about the razor's sharpness, and hard to evaluate the razor and its edge.

By most of my little shave tests which I typically use to evaluate the sharpness of an edge this edge seemed quite sharp. It was also smooth, and comfortable, and smart.

By the biggest of shave tests the edge was a failure. My shave, overall, was not as close and smooth as it should have been.

229.png

Today's shave was my 229th SR shave. I'm pretty sure it was the most confusing so far.

Maybe a frame-back razor is another kind of learning curve, but my guess is the razor needs to be a lot sharper. I knew honing it that I did not get a burr all along the edge while I was honing it on the Chosera 1K, but I believe I set a good bevel anyway. There are several ways to approach my next efforts with the blade. I'm not sure which route I'll take next.

Other than that I really enjoyed this razor and today's shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Yes, I am saying the same, not to dis any Swedish or Japanese razors. If I live there or had a connection, I would go for them, but since I am not, I won't be paying more.
The Swedish blades marked “Eskiltuna” are worth the extra cost and a true test of honing patience, however, touch ups will be a rare necessity.

View attachment 991891

Ooo pretty

Wednesday's shave was interesting, intriguing, and weird.

View attachment 992102

You can see right off this is a frame-back. It's my first (and only), and my first shave with any frame-back, a John Watts Sheffield (pre-1892).

It was not easy to hone. I was not when I finished honing it completely sure about it being sharp enough (but, then again, I never am).

View attachment 992101

I wasn't sure with today's Torrey honing either.

View attachment 992104

It's very hard to know now, too, post-shave, about the razor's sharpness, and hard to evaluate the razor and its edge.

By most of my little shave tests which I typically use to evaluate the sharpness of an edge this edge seemed quite sharp. It was also smooth, and comfortable, and smart.

By the biggest of shave tests the edge was a failure. My shave, overall, was not as close and smooth as it should have been.

View attachment 992105

Today's shave was my 229th SR shave. I'm pretty sure it was the most confusing so far.

Maybe a frame-back razor is another kind of learning curve, but my guess is the razor needs to be a lot sharper. I knew honing it that I did not get a burr all along the edge while I was honing it on the Chosera 1K, but I believe I set a good bevel anyway. There are several ways to approach my next efforts with the blade. I'm not sure which route I'll take next.

Other than that I really enjoyed this razor and today's shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

If I am going to get a good shave with a straight, it's going to require some discipline and beard mapping attention. The places that matter most are those sharp facial curves. It just occurred recently that a center pull mechanism is a better concept than holding a blade on one end. However, with some close mirror work and diligence, I can get what I am after.

I've been taking a MMTT Thuringian edge with additional stropping w/ diamond/balsa 50-60 laps followed by 25 linen and 50-60 horse for some really nice shaving edges.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I took the John Watts Sheffield frame-back to the Double Convex Ark again. Both sides on the stone.

When it will be shave tested again I don't know. Not tomorrow that's for sure. Not that it wouldn't be interesting and informative, but I can't risk a not so good shave tomorrow, and I have another razor in mind for Thursday anyway.

It's not like today's shave was terrible, but I prefer much closer and smoother.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If I am going to get a good shave with a straight, it's going to require some discipline and beard mapping attention. The places that matter most are those sharp facial curves. It just occurred recently that a center pull mechanism is a better concept than holding a blade on one end. However, with some close mirror work and diligence, I can get what I am after.

I've been taking a MMTT Thuringian edge with additional stropping w/ diamond/balsa 50-60 laps followed by 25 linen and 50-60 horse for some really nice shaving edges.

I believe there are only a few great things about straights and straight razors shaves for me, so far. Several stand out.
  • My straight razor shaves are more comfortable.
  • Straight razors and everything associated with them are interesting and engaging and intriguing.
  • Straight razors are way cool.
  • I'm not impressed that I can shave with other razors, but I'm impressed with myself when I shave with a straight. It's satisfying.
If my safety razor shaves were as comfortable as my straight razor shaves I doubt I'd be using the straights.

I believe my straight razor shaves will eventually be as close and smooth as my safety razor shaves, but I do not believe there's any chance my safety razor shaves can become as comfortable as my straight razor shaves already are.

Number one for me is a Damn Comfortable Shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I took the John Watts Sheffield frame-back to the Double Convex Ark again. Both sides on the stone.

When it will be shave tested again I don't know. Not tomorrow that's for sure. Not that it wouldn't be interesting and informative, but I can't risk a not so good shave tomorrow, and I have another razor in mind for Thursday anyway.

It's not like today's shave was terrible, but I prefer much closer and smoother.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I have a French frame back that I managed to get a good shave out of after I honed it the first time.
I noticed then the blade wasn't straight, but the spine was. More like a wave shaped blade.

Got a chip on the edge a while back and I've never managed to get the edge back to where it was.
Every now and then I pick it up and have another go at honing it. Just never seems to get there.
Keep thinking I'll buy another and see if it's any better than the one I have.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have a French frame back that I managed to get a good shave out of after I honed it the first time.
I noticed then the blade wasn't straight, but the spine was. More like a wave shaped blade.

Got a chip on the edge a while back and I've never managed to get the edge back to where it was.
Every now and then I pick it up and have another go at honing it. Just never seems to get there.
Keep thinking I'll buy another and see if it's any better than the one I have.

I can't see close up things quite well enough to be sure of it visually (my vision for everything except reading and other close work is quite good, but my old eyes no longer operate like they once did), but I believe the blade on my frame-back is not straight. That's mostly going by what I notice honing it.

Of course the Double Convex Ark helps with that sort of problem, but it doesn't eliminate it. The frame-back I bought may turn out to be a favorite razor or it may have been a bad purchase. One always takes some risk with unknown razor shaped objects which are at least 127 years old.

Why I bought the frame-back is a mystery to me. Probably curiosity. The one I have is quite handsome and of a very interesting design. It's not just the frame-back/spine/blade thing, but also the way the shank is made.

JohnWatts.Sheffield.Frameback.640.6-18-19.JPG

The notch in the shank looks like a fairly common notch, but it feels much different. There's room for an extra finger right up agains the heel of the blade, and a tiny dip there for a finger (it doesn't quite show up in the photo, that dip, but it's very subtle).

The scales are also unique in my experience with scales. I don't know if they're old or what. They seem like maybe they're rubber or something similar. The blade is not well centered though. The pins are very tight.

Not sure I'd buy another frame-back, but it's too early to decide on this one. I'm very glad to hear your frame-back initially shaved well enough and sorry to hear about the chip. That's never fun.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was quite good.

6-20-19.ATOR|ERN.Kit.Laundry.ProPro.640JPG.JPG

Very nice edge on a very nice razor with a very nice kit.
  • ATOR | ERN | Wald. Off the DCA.
  • Grooming Dept Laundry, Preshave, Serum.
  • Proraso Pro boar.
  • Cremo Moisturizer.
  • PAA Beach splash.
I believe this ProPro brush is still not fully and truly broken in. It's very useable, but I think it will become even softer. Talk about a good brush for face lathering and for building a great lather with Laundry. Wow!

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
New Arrival Report...

6-20-19.Dorko.New.NOS.640JPG.JPG

This is a huge razor. Dorko 346. 7/8". Looks bigger. Looks brand new or very close to brand new. Seems sharp. Arrived yesterday but I wasn't in the office until today.

Here's the vendor's description.

upload_2019-6-20_8-50-54.png

I like looking at it and will shave with it as soon as possible (not today of course as I've already shaved).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom