Damn Comfortable Shave

Discussion in 'Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In' started by Chan Eil Whiskers, Sep 2, 2017.

Some of these GD's come out with weird bevels.
    The one I bought recently, with the wicked point, has a bevel that resembles a sine wave.
    It matches the edge unfortunately.
    Put the edge on a flat surface and it touches on three points, the rest is up in the air.
    It's going to take some serious breadknifing to get the edge flat before I can start to hone it.

Beats me how anyone is supposed to shave with something like that.
    Maybe I should send it to you Jim, now you have the perfect stone to hone wonky razors :001_tt2:.

Wood scales on it are very poor, something else I'm going to have to rectify.

1. Chan Eil Whiskers

Chan Eil Whiskers Contributor

There's a guy who has a thread about using a device to quantify how sharp an edge is. Somewhere in there he talks about having a tool or plate or something and using it to fix wonky edges. I'm not sure what he's talking about, but maybe there's a way to fix 'em without too much trouble.

Ah, I found the post. Link. Not much information but maybe he could tell you more. The thread is about several interesting topics mostly covered in the opening posts. I could get into one of those measuring devices, but don't see myself springing for one.

I'm sure some blades aren't worth it when one considers the work involved, but we're not professionals trying to make money and do a good job so who cares if the outcome is good and we learn something valuable to us and have a satisfying or enjoyable time of it.

I say fix that sucker!

Or, send it to me and I'll give it a spin on the monster Ark. Assuming I learn the Ark well enough to sharpen a razor to my satisfaction which remains to be seen. Today's second efforts remain untested.

I've already thought of one possible technique change which might improve my efforts with this stone should I be disappointed with my second try of today. I don't think it will prove to be a too difficult to learn stone.

Am I wrong about this, 7/8 has a convexed coticule? Would that work for your weird edge?

I wonder what the traditional way of fixing those is. I know Gold Dollar guys, some of them, buy a dozen or three dozen Gold Dollars assuming they'll throw most of them away to get a couple of good ones. I think with a thinned spine and better scales my 1996 might be a pretty nice razor.

Let me know if I get to the point where you truly think I could succeed with that blade, okay?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  2. Chan Eil Whiskers

Thursday's shave was a makeup test on the first round of honing I did on the Double Convex Ark.

4-18-19.Geneva.Kit.640.JPG

In other words, I honed this razor for a second time yesterday because I didn't much like the results of my first effort. How did I do?

upload_2019-4-18_9-57-34.jpeg

Today's shave was barely acceptable by any standard. The edge was less sharp than the first edge off this convex stone. Still, the edge this morning was as good as some edges I've received when I purchased a "shave ready" razor.

upload_2019-4-18_10-0-43.png
    The first edge off the stone was a tad and a half better, so I'm going in the wrong direction. Not good.

What do I need to do? I'll consider it.

Otherwise my kit was good, but this soap's base is no Lusso. I suspect the veggie soap I ordered yesterday from Grooming Dept will be much better than Ambra. Not knocking Ambra. It is good, just not Lusso-good.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

3. Oh, I will.

Quick pic showing what I mean about the edge being a sign wave.
    wonkygd.JPG

Bit of a balancing act, phone in one hand, razor in the other trying to keep the edge fully down on my Welsh Purple Slate with a small flashlight behind.
    You can see clearly the three points the razor touches and the big gaps where it doesn't.

I'll fix it one way or another.

4. Chan Eil Whiskers

Doug, that's a masterful photograph. I couldn't do it in a million tries. Congratulations.

What a truly bad edge.
    [​IMG]
    I've had some success applying actual pressure to spots along the edge which seemed to need more contact with the stone. I have no idea if that's the right way to do it. My guess is maybe a convex stone might help, but I'm not to the journeyman stage with the convex Ark so my guess is exactly that.

5. Chan Eil Whiskers

Friday's shave was like having a teacher who is lenient enough to give a makeup test for the second time. Her notion is everybody has to pass. When I was in school that might have meant we took one test after the first week of school, but makeup tests every day until Christmas.

4-19-19.Geneva.SOC.Kit.640.JPG

Today's shave was better. The edge is not gloriously sharp but it's better than the edges I shaved with yesterday and the day before.

upload_2019-4-19_13-58-57.png

Better is good.

Serum.Preshave.GroomingDept.480.Mine.2-26-19.JPG

I'm not sure what I'll do next with this edge. It's an edge I could shave with again on the theory it'll be better the second time out.

Happy shaves,

Jim

6. Chan Eil Whiskers

I decided to take the edge to the finishing side of the Double Convex Ark 8x3 for a bit before putting the honing kit away for the day. I can shave test the new edge in the morning. As usual it's been stropped post honing, but will be stropped again before I shave.

upload_2019-4-19_18-38-42.png

I'll know more tomorrow. God willing and the creek don't rise.

Happy shaves,

Jim

7. Chan Eil Whiskers

Finally got around to a splash.

the Veg. Lilac Vegetal. It's Friday. (meme).jpg

Did my wife buy bring home a stray cat?

8. Hahahaha

Got the giggles reading that. Family wanted to know why. Family now think I am insane.

9. Chan Eil Whiskers

This is new?

BOSC.2. My wife is right I am crazy.jpg

Happy shaves,

Jim

10. Shhhh. Every time I come to visit you inmates at the BOSC asylum big nurse gives me the eye, and I don't think she's after a date. So far I've got away with it, but posts like that could put me on her radar.

11. Chan Eil Whiskers

Well, there are rumors.

BOSC.2. Only the SR is allowed in the padded room.jpg

You'd find a place.

12. Chan Eil Whiskers

Mick's.Conor.ShavingSoap.4-9-19.480.JPG

This is the report I sent "Mick" after my first shave with the soap a week or so ago.

The quoted material is from a shave a week or so ago, with Mick's.

Mick tells me the scent will be much increased in the actual product.

I've used the soap again today and reported on it below.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  13. Chan Eil Whiskers

Saturday's shave was decent enough.

4-20-19.Kit.Mick'sSoapSample.Geneva.MixedMidget..JPG

The edge was taken back to the Double Convexed Ark after yesterday's shave. It is significantly sharper now. Not gloriously sharp, but certainly acceptable. I may hone it some more before using it again, but maybe I won't. It's not my best edge ever but it's certainly shave ready.

The shave was good.

Serum.Preshave.Alum.Cremo.480.4-20-19.JPG

The alum post-shave gave almost zero feedback which is always a very good sign. My neck feels just a tad raw. I can't emphasize how tiny a tad this tad is, but it's still an itsy bitsy teeny weeny smidgeon more than I usually have after my straight razor shaves. I suspect this will go away. My shave ended maybe ten minutes ago.

I've not applied Cremo Moisturizer yet, but will in a bit. I'll use a splash, too, but don't know yet which one.

I've not going to say this was a great shave in all respects, but it was plenty good enough.

Happy shaves,

Jim

14. Chan Eil Whiskers

Today's shave was another chance to evaluate Mick's soap. I'm a beta tester. Please see my posts (2) above for other details of this and the previous shave with Mick's soap.

Mick's.Conor.ShavingSoap.4-9-19.480.JPG

This time around I dialed the soap in a bit better. I used a lot more water from the get go. This very very thirsty soap loves its water. For me that is a very good thing.

One soap I like sometimes is WSP Rustic which is also a very thirsty soap. Rustic, however, begins to break down (fall apart, get runny) if you all just a little bit more water than the soap needs. Mick's is the opposite. If you can break this soap (and I'm sure all soaps can be broken) it would take a real effort. I used loads of water and just a little soap (on my post shave lather) and still was able to work up a lather I believe could be used to shave, a lather which was thin but not runny.

[​IMG]
    Don't think this is a thin or runny soap. Quite the opposite. If you want thin you can get it with Mick's soap, but any reasonable loading and lathering method will result in a super thick, very creamy, foamy lather. That doesn't mean too thick. The soap hydrates very very well, but know it needs a ton of water (to suit me anyway).

I do not think this soap's residual glide is as good as that of my Lusso and duck fat Grooming Dept soaps nor do I think it has the ghost lather of Wickham 1912, but those are the very top soap in the ghost lather department. Mick's has very good residual glide although I'd like it to have more.

This stuff lathers in the most amazing way. It might be compared to MdC in a sense because of that. I don't think the lather is like MdC lather and MdC is more explosive, but Mick's lathers almost as easily and that's saying a lot.

My impression so far is Mick's soap is not quite as protective as Grooming Dept's best soaps. To test that I'd have to use Mick's exclusively for a week. I'm not sure I want to do that. With most soaps I wouldn't even consider it. With Mick's I'm at least thinking about it.

upload_2019-4-20_12-30-12.png

Did I mention how creamy this lather is? I can think of no soap to compare with this creamy lather. The creaminess has no downside as long as the soap is very well hydrated. Just use a ton of water because the soap can take it.

I'm glad to have another opportunity to use Mick's soap, and I'm use it again, but it is a very good soap. It's hard to find anything to not like about it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

15. Chan Eil Whiskers

Three brushes made by Omega. All three contain bristles. One has some hair.

MiixedMidget.MightyMidget.ProrasoPro.480.4-20-19.JPG

The Mixed Midget (on the left) is not my favorite brush. It has considerable scritch (although it's certainly tolerable). It has good backbone (but not in the league with the other two brushes pictured, the Mighty Midget and the Proraso Pro). The hair is not silvertip or two band!

What the Mixed Midget is famous for is being a very heavy hitter for such a small brush. It's a lather monster.

I think its handle a tad too small, but it still works fine. If it were my only brush I'd not be in hog heaven but I would be a pretty happy camper. If I were going backpacking or bicycle camping this is probably the brush that would go with me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

16. The mixed is preferred by me over either Semogue boar.

17. Chan Eil Whiskers

Nothing wrong with it.

LilacVegetal.Mine.480.4-18.JPG

Instead of the Spring game we had softball.

Dawg Is Angry.png

Softball, really! But now the game is on. half way through the 2nd quarter.

18. Esox

Esox Ambassador

Micks.

Remember a ways back I said that the best shave soaps might be yet to come? :)

19. Chan Eil Whiskers

Yes, I remember you saying that, and it seems to be happening.

A couple of gentlemen have told me they're beta testing amazing soaps. I have no idea which soaps. I would expect great things from the yet to come soaps if Mick's soap is typical of the next generation.

Of course, current makers, some of them, are not static in product development. I may not like the scent of the latest Lusso soap I tried, Coattails Redux, but its performance is truly wonderful. I think Grooming Dept soaps evolve to the degree you're not likely to buy the same soap twice.

I know zip about soaps other than what I like.

Happy shaves,

Jim