What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Sunday shave was terrific.

4-7-19.Kukri.Kit.Flag.Molten.640.JPG

I can't say Molten is a scent I love, but the performance is stellar and the scent is decent enough. I think maybe the scent is growing on me, but maybe I'm being fooled by the performance. I certainly don't hate the scent, but I doubt I'd order it again. Not that it's very likely to be possible to order it again the way Mo changes things and plays with scents and bases.

That said, both of my shaves with this edge and this soap have been excellent. This is one great edge! I just can't tell you how much I like the edge I achieved on the Zulu Grey yesterday. It feels like it isn't an edge at all at least not a sharp edge. It's so comfortable and so mellow and so smooth. Of course, I know full well it could cut me. This is a razor and a sharp one in spite of how nice it feels.

If you don't believe me ask my whiskers but you'll have to go down the drain to interview them.

Parker.Alum.Block.alum block.480.3-8-19.JPG Serum.Preshave.GroomingDept.480.Mine.2-26-19.JPG

Maybe I'll use Cremo Moisturizer and a splash later. Maybe not.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I know nothing about Zulu Grey stones so this is fascinating. Is dilucot the standard technique for using them or are you just applying your own genius?

I am becoming ever more sceptical about sharpness tests, and returning more and more back to feel on the strop as I have always done. It's nice to read someone else's experience of a razor shaving well despite tests.

Glad your getting great results and forging your own path. You’ll find in honing that people can have certain dogmas and if you vary from these you can be seen as an iconoclast. Don’t let it faze you and keep experimenting to find what you like.

Ive never tried a Zulu Grey but when they first came out they were pretty pricey. I may have to revisit them now that they have come down in price. Thanks for relating your experience.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I know nothing about Zulu Grey stones so this is fascinating. Is dilucot the standard technique for using them or are you just applying your own genius?

I am becoming ever more skeptical about sharpness tests, and returning more and more back to feel on the strop as I have always done. It's nice to read someone else's experience of a razor shaving well despite tests.

I've not read much about how anyone uses the stone. There is not a huge amount of Zulu Grey information on B&B and I've not explored other forums and such. I got interested in the stone because of a small writeup on Classical Edge (where I bought my Professional Strop); they say you can go from bevel setter to finish with the Zulu Grey.

Most of what I've read says making a slurry on the Zulu Grey is very difficult. Some people use a diamond plate (an old worn credit card I think), but mine's been lost ever since I took a photo of it. I wasn't expecting the stone to arrive with a slurry stone but it did.

I doubt anyone would build much of a slurry with the flat of the slurry stone, but I used the edge, and it worked well enough. I wasn't trying to build much of a slurry, just a milky slurry, and it wasn't difficult.

I'd read something somewhere about using a method with the Zulu Grey which reminded me of how I use the coticule with the dilucot method (water), so that's what I did, but I did more rapid dilution (several drops at a time, not just one).

Basically, I had no idea what I was doing.

I figured I should use some pressure, but less as I went along. I also figured I should finish with just the weight of the blade if I could.

I wan't impressed with how the stone felt until I was pretty far along. Then it seemed to smooth out. I believe it wasn't the stone that smoothed out but the blade.

Glad your getting great results and forging your own path. You’ll find in honing that people can have certain dogmas and if you vary from these you can be seen as an iconoclast. Don’t let it faze you and keep experimenting to find what you like.

Ive never tried a Zulu Grey but when they first came out they were pretty pricey. I may have to revisit them now that they have come down in price. Thanks for relating your experience.

The stones are a good bit less than I've read they used to be, and there's a discount at this moment. When I bought mine, in October 2018, I paid $115 with shipping, which seemed reasonably in line with other similar stones.

I didn't do any lapping or anything, but I did read this. I think it's accurate. The stone is flat, I think, and very glassy and smooth and slick.

FROM ROCK TO HONE
Each Zulu Grey starts out as a rough block quarried from the earth using basic hand-operated tools. The blocks are examined for consistency and those with obvious hard inclusions or other severe flaws – that could damage a razors edge – are simply not processed any further. The consistent blocks are then cut along the bedding lines down to hone-sized slabs by use of a large diamond saw, with water as a flushing agent. These rough-cut hones are then inspected again for consistency and sorted. The hones are then sanded by hand one at a time bringing the very rough surfaces down to a reasonable flatness to begin lapping. Lapping is likewise done by hand one at a time using a DMT Dia-Flat lapping plate which is certified flat to less than 0.0005”.

The lapped hones are then polished up in a progression from 400 to 1000 grit Norton wet/dry paper set on a certified flat granite slab. The flattening and lapping process is very time-consuming and labour-intensive, but well worth the effort. The lapped and polished hones are then carefully chamfered to protect your razor while honing. Each Zulu Grey is thus properly lapped flat and ready for use when you receive it. The hones are supplied with two adhesive labels for marking the underside of your Zulu Grey hone.

I know natural stones vary. I have no idea why anyone using a stone like mine on a razor like the one I honed using the method I used would not be very impressed with the results.

I've read a few reports on B&B which tell of other guys getting great edges. There are also plenty of people badmouthing the Zulu Grey. I'm no expert on anything other than my own experience, and maybe I can't duplicate the edge I got, but it is a terrific edge.

To my way of thinking there is a great deal of value in listening to what others have to say, but my own experiences are far more valuable assuming I pay attention to what I actually do and the results I actually get as opposed to some fantasy or wishful thinking stuff.

It's a really good edge! Still, I have no idea that there aren't plenty of other stones which might be better in general or better in someone's hands. All I can report is what I know from using one stone once on one razor, but it's a tale worth telling I think.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You might get into rock hounding one day. One of my best finishers is a piece of black slate I picked up in a Northfield granite shed. It has no history, no bonafides or label but is a great hone. It’s value is zero because of that. I would stack it up against some Jnats that people have put out serious cash for. I could probably use it with a nagura progression and get the same results that gents get with lvl 5 Jnats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You might get into rock hounding one day. One of my best finishers is a piece of black slate I picked up in a Northfield granite shed. It has no history, no bonafides or label but is a great hone. It’s value is zero because of that. I would stack it up against some Jnats that people have put out serious cash for. I could probably use it with a nagura progression and get the same results that gents get with lvl 5 Jnats.

Very cool story. Just picked it up off the ground in a shed? Wow!

Basically, I had no idea what I was doing.

I figured I should use some pressure, but less as I went along. I also figured I should finish with just the weight of the blade if I could.
Didn't know what you were doing or you are developing honing intuition and technique? That's two stones you have been successful with first time out, using methods you have decided on yourself.

Sounds like more than a fluke to me. Sounds like you are developing skills with the natural stones.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Didn't know what you were doing or you are developing honing intuition and technique? That's two stones you have been successful with first time out, using methods you have decided on yourself.

Sounds like more than a fluke to me. Sounds like you are developing skills with the natural stones.

You are very kind. I hope you're correct.

Monday's shave was hurried.

4-8-19.Kukri.Mallard.Chia.Manchurinan.640.JPG

It's a weird day in terms of my time. I was very hurried this morning with picking my wife up at the airport combined with a couple of emergencies (not mine) to deal with. It made my shave rushed and hurried feeling. Well, it actually was rushed, too; it wasn't only a feeling.

Still it was a very good shave.

Cremo.Serum.Preshave.480.3-9-19.JPG

I also used post shave alum because I had a couple of very tiny blood spots. The alum burned a good bit less than it sometimes does (it used to burn a lot, but not any more).

BayRum.AtomicAge.CrownKing.480.8-18.JPG

As I said, weird day in terms of time. Now I'm just hanging out, but I have a very busy afternoon and early evening at the office.

upload_2019-4-8_10-36-54.jpeg

This week many offices and businesses are closed here. Restaurants and such do a booming business. Many people rent their houses and/or go on vacation. The schools are closed. We've elected to stay in town (I think) and I will work a couple of days. My wife is off all week, but I suspect she'll be busy quilting. She was in New York over a long weekend to see her niece play lacrosse (her final college games; the season ends and she graduates soon).

upload_2019-4-8_11-20-30.png

Once again I was very impressed with my kit. There really wasn't anything about it to not like. I'm counting my shaves with the SR and am at #157. I'm still noticing significant improvement every so often. The one hundred shaves to learn the SR maxim is an interesting idea; I think most of what it serves as is a milestone. By the time you've done a hundred SR shaves you're convinced it's possible to shave with the straight and you should have learned to get at least a pretty decent, and very comfortable shave.

That's assuming a truly shave ready razor. As we know, one's idea of what's shave ready is a work in progress.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2019-4-8_13-10-44.png

I don't need this reminder of why I usually don't work this week.

I left home an hour before my first appointment of the day so I'd be on time. I went a different route but got to the office in the same amount of time my usual route (which goes right by the golf course) usual takes so I've been here forty minutes, waiting.

Now I'm supposed to be working, but where is the person who has an appointment?
  • Late because they forgot.
  • Late because they didn't account for the traffic.
  • Not showing up because they decided I wouldn't be here even though we called on Friday to confirm the appointment.
  • Not showing up because they got last minute tickets for the practice round.
  • Any one of many other Masters Week excuses and/or reasons. Believe me, I've heard them all.
Remind me again why Hilton Head is the place to be this week.

Good thing I got a good shave this morning or I'd be in a lousy mood. I'm also glad to have my wife home safe.

upload_2019-4-8_13-19-34.jpeg

Maybe someone will give me tickets/badges to the event. The Augusta National is the most lovely golf course I can imagine and reminds everyone what God could do if he had enough money.

upload_2019-4-8_13-28-6.jpeg

My home is only 1.5 miles from the course (I measured it on a map just now) as the crow flies but my grass and Azaleas suffer by comparison. Sometimes I imagine the birds singing on the tv broadcast Sunday afternoon were singing in my trees that morning.

Just keep going in the direction (more or less) shown in the bottom photo of Amen Corner to get to my back yard.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
View attachment 970411

I left home an hour before my first appointment of the day so I'd be on time. I went a different route but got to the office in the same amount of time my usual route (which goes right by the golf course) usual takes so I've been here forty minutes, waiting.

• Not showing up because they decided I wouldn't be here even though we called on Friday to confirm the appointment.
  • Any one of many other Masters Week excuses and/or reasons. Believe me, I've heard them all.

Good thing I got a good shave this morning or I'd be in a lousy mood. I'm also glad to have my wife home safe.

View attachment 970412

Maybe someone will give me tickets/badges to the event. The Augusta National is the most lovely golf course I can imagine and reminds everyone what God could do if he had enough money.

View attachment 970414

My home is only 1.5 miles from the course (I measured it on a map just now) as the crow flies but my grass and Azaleas suffer by comparison. Sometimes I imagine the birds singing on the tv broadcast Sunday afternoon were singing in my trees that morning.

Just keep going in the direction (more or less) shown in the bottom photo of Amen Corner to get to my back yard.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Anytime I've seen that course on TV it always looks perfect.
In my imagination I can see someone on their hands and knees with a pair of scissors manicuring the greens.

As for peole moving out and renting their homes to the ones coming to watch the golf. We get that here as well, usually for the British Open.
Scotland supposedly being the home of golf, we get our fair share of big tournaments.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
View attachment 970411

View attachment 970412

View attachment 970414

Happy shaves,

Jim
I’ve always loved watching the Masters but I do have one foul Masters memory. I lived in Syracuse, NY 1,651 days eleven hours and 30 minutes. I remember watching the Masters in all its beauty and warmth while looking out my window at a snow storm. I so felt like crying. That was the first time I’ve lived north of Virginia.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I’ve always loved watching the Masters but I do have one foul Masters memory. I lived in Syracuse, NY 1,651 days eleven hours and 30 minutes. I remember watching the Masters in all its beauty and warmth while looking out my window at a snow storm. I so felt like crying. That was the first time I’ve lived north of Virginia.

Good thing it wasn't 1652 days, Steve.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday my shave was good.

4-9-19.Kukri.J&C.CopperBoar.640.JPG

My Zulu Grey edge is holding up. Linen and horsehide stropping. I'm enjoying this razor. Tightening the pins made a big difference and not just in the razor's safety, but the big difference is how sharp and comfortable the edge is.

upload_2019-4-9_9-45-44.jpeg

Still counting my straight razor shaves.

Serum.Preshave.GroomingDept.480.Mine.2-26-19.JPG Cremo + Bay Rum (favorites). 480:Small..JPG

I believe maybe my shaves are becoming a tiny bit faster. This is, I think, mostly a function of a sharp blade.

It's an interesting edge because it sure doesn't feel sharp judging by the thumb pad test nor does it feel sharp when I'm using it. It feels mellow and smooth. It cuts right through the difficult parts though, and it passes all my intra-shave sharpness tests. In addition, I am noticing that I can with this edge get the razor blade in a flatter position on my skin (shallower, spine closer to my skin); I like that.

proxy.php

Very light traffic today. I took the same alternate route to the office. I've never seen so few cars. People leave town. The schools are closed. Nobody cares about anything except the Masters. We're having a rainy week which will be bad for the golf and the fans unless it changes by Thursday. It's messed up the practice rounds (and people pay big bucks to attend those; there's a lottery to get on the list to buy tickets, etc.).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mail arrived...

Mick's.Conor.ShavingSoap.4-9-19.480.JPG

Somebody sent me a sample to try. I'll try it. It smells pretty good on my sniff test.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was good.

4-10-19.Today's shave..JPG

Everything went well. I really like this soap and this edge. The brush is soft with decent enough backbone.

Serum.Preshave.GroomingDept.480.Mine.2-26-19.JPG

As usual it's a very Grooming Dept day. The soap is Mallard Chai Tea or something like that. Duck fat based. Nice soap. Very nice soap. Very thirsty. I really like this one's scent and performance.

Speaking of grooming, I'm off to get my hair cut.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was finished at 5 PM which tells you I'm not working today. My main reason for shaving was to try out a sample.

4-11-19.Mick's.Sample.Kit.Kukri.640.JPG

I'm beta testing Mick's soap.

Cremo.Serum.Preshave.480.3-9-19.JPG

The shave was pretty good overall. Other than the soap, the variables are my usual kit.

proxy.php

One thing I've learned in 160 straight razor shaves is this: The main thing for me with all aspects of the shave including soaps is the comfort of the overall shave. I'll know more about the comfort of this shave as the hours go by.

I have zero idea about what goes into making excellent soaps or determining the various qualities they have. Maybe my first impressions of this soap will help its inventor. I hope the soap stays as creamy as it is. It is the most creamy soap I've ever used which is very very nice indeed.

I will dial Mick's in a bit more and have a better basis for evaluation, but Mick's is pretty impressive. I'll use it again of course and feel privileged to be allowed to test it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was good.

4-12-19.GDCV.Zenith.Kukri.640JPG.JPG

My edge is holding up well. This Zenith is stellar for a smallish brush; the handle is perfect for a small brush. I enjoyed a soap variation yesterday but I'm glad to be back with Grooming Dept soap.

I think I nailed the face lathering of the Lusso base today. Not that there's any way to avoid adding water. It's a super thirsty soap I think.

Alum.Cremo.SR.Serum.Preshave.480.JPG

This is the rest of my software.

proxy.php

Counting my shaves, crew members.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was good.

upload_2019-4-13_15-17-24.png

It's straight shave #162.

4-13-19.Kukri.MandarinBay.MS30.640JPG.JPG

The edge is good. The soap, good. The brush, good.

Serum.Preshave.GroomingDept.480.Mine.2-26-19.JPG

Probably a splash and Cremo Moisturizer later, but only Serum so far.

Nice shave today. I'm very pleased with my Zulu Grey edge and how it's holding up.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php

I enjoyed every minute of the tournament. Watched it all. The best Masters ever.

Congratulations to Tiger for the best career comeback in sports history.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom