What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

I have escaped many times. Big Nurse often sends search teams but I scare them away by waving straight razors in the air.

View attachment 965012

My parents taught me well.

Happy shaves, even to BN,

Jim
You won't be able to outrun BN when you are carrying those Scottish rocks you picked up to make into hones.

fb9e43d5a79e39d1fd96f02ca2983115.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I agree on the bevel setting.

View attachment 964998

On this razor it was just something I forgot hadn't been done. The razor shaves well enough and did after the coticle, and after the Ark, and, now, after the pastes. Still, it's not quite to my liking. Probably the bevel was right to begin with but I'm not sure. It could also just be a blade I'm not ever going to love.

It's likely to go back to the bevel setting stage!

I've not tried the diamonds yet. It's not something I'm drawn to for whatever reason. What I really want is just a coticle edge with nothing else done to the edge. My best edges have been either coticle edges (no pastes) or Ark + pasted strop edges.

A really good coticle edge is amazing, both smooth feeling and very sharp (and much sharper in its performance than it feels like it is when you're using it which is a bonus I think).

I'm not very far along on the honing journey and a mere babe in the woods with the coticle but already I've had some remarkable successes.

If the bevel isn't right you've not even begun!

I'm certainly not ruling out the diamonds. Your input and endorsements of them carry a lot of weight with me.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I’ve never tried a coticule - perhaps in the future. I have used a jnat to finish with success. Still prefer diamonds which I suppose are a natural stone. :001_rolle

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I would be very careful not to drop it down the drain.

Oh, it's the right size for a great natural finishing stone - 7 inches by 7 inches, 1.5 inch thick - so it won't go through the drain hole.

Nice stone, but my wife has run off with it. She said she are her girlfriends were going to buy me a Fili.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hard to argue with that.

Does the kilt make men stronger? From what I've heard from gentlemen who visited Scotland and bought a kilt the kilt certainly makes you lighter in the wallet.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Most certainly it will make your wallet lighter.
I just hire one when needed.
My best friend is an American thats been living in Scotland for nearly 30 years and he bought his own kilt to use for weddings and the like.
I had one when I was a wee laddy.

Oh, it's the right size for a great natural finishing stone - 7 inches by 7 inches, 1.5 inch thick - so it won't go through the drain hole.

Nice stone, but my wife has run off with it. She said she are her girlfriends were going to buy me a Fili.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Think your daydreaming again there Jim. Or, should I say, wishfull thinking? :001_tt2:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Most certainly it will make your wallet lighter.
I just hire one when needed.
My best friend is an American thats been living in Scotland for nearly 30 years and he bought his own kilt to use for weddings and the like.
I had one when I was a wee laddy.

Think your daydreaming again there Jim. Or, should I say, wishful thinking? :001_tt2:

coticle.bout.480.3-21-19.JPG

Maybe it was this stone I was thinking of. This is my as yet unused at all new coticle bout from Superior Shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Did a little honing.

Fancy.eBay.SR.640.1-24-19..jpeg

This is my Kukri razor. It spent a while this afternoon on my rectangular coticle undergoing my Dilucot Oil Honing process.

Maybe I'll do a shave test tomorrow? I hope my efforts were successful. I'm not really sure when to stop honing. There's not much about honing I understand well at all. Not that I don't read and watch videos, but I simply don't have much experience yet.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Happy shaves,

Jim
Damn, I was you for a bit of a loan

Did a little honing.

View attachment 965185

This is my Kukri razor. It spent a while this afternoon on my rectangular coticle undergoing my Dilucot Oil Honing process.

Maybe I'll do a shave test tomorrow? I hope my efforts were successful. I'm not really sure when to stop honing. There's not much about honing I understand well at all. Not that I don't read and watch videos, but I simply don't have much experience yet.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

How are you testing the bevel off the coticule? When setting the bevel on a coticule I use the thumbnail test in combination with watching the slurry travel and trail.

Are you getting any suction or resistance in the finishing stages? That's what I'm using then feeling the draw on my strop. Of course traditionally it's supposed to be HHT to test the edge but I've never found that very reliable. My sharpest coticule edges will treetop, however I don't find that necessarily correlates to a nice shave.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How are you testing the bevel off the coticule? When setting the bevel on a coticule I use the thumbnail test in combination with watching the slurry travel and trail.

Are you getting any suction or resistance in the finishing stages? That's what I'm using then feeling the draw on my strop. Of course traditionally it's supposed to be HHT to test the edge but I've never found that very reliable. My sharpest coticule edges will treetop, however I don't find that necessarily correlates to a nice shave.

On some of my razors, ones I already set the bevel on, I'm just refinishing the edge on the coticle, and not going back to the bevel setting stage.

To check a bevel when I am bevel setting I use the thumbnail test and find it reliable (but I'm also doing the burr method if not using the coticle for bevel setting).

Yes, I'm getting some suction in the finishing stages. It feels kinda like the razor and the stone have an attraction for one another such that they're drawn together before they actually touch. Plus, the "feel" on the stone changes and is very smooth (or something).

I don't do the HHT or any of that stuff mostly because it makes me crazy. Not that it's bad stuff, just that I don't get it.

coticle.bout.480.3-21-19.JPG

NIIIIICE STONE!!!!!
but...More info required.
  • Width and length?
  • What's it look like with water on it?
  • Are you going to try to get it identified at coticule.be?
  • Have you tested it yet?
  • Will you try traditional progressions or run it with oil?
I have not done anything with the stone except look at it and take a photo. I'm not considering using it for the time being (just learning one coticle, the rectangular coticle, is enough). It's a #7 coticle bout, item #6343 from Superior Shave. Cost me $35 with shipping.

It looked too nice for the price to pass up, but I doubt I actually need it. Nice problem to have, right?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday my shave was good.

3-22-19.Kukri.coticled.kit.640.JPG

The blade was refinished on the coticle yesterday. As is often the case the coticle edge doesn't seem gloriously sharp, but the shave was very good. These edges perform better than they seem like they would.

True? The only test that matters is the shave test?

Serum.Preshave.GroomingDept.480.Mine.2-26-19.JPG Cremo + Bay Rum (favorites). 480:Small..JPG

Oh, if you think you see blood on the kit, you do. I must have gotten a slice of my thumb stropping preshave. Not a biggie, but it now has a bandaid. Very small slice it was, not deep, but still...

Good software. Good edge. Good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Honing today.

Boker Red Injun (top) tuned up on the rectangular coticule using my Dilucot Oil Honing technique.

3-23-19.CoticuleHoned.Injun.380.640.JPG

The 350 razor (bottom) was taken to the 1K Chosera for the burr method. Then it received a coticule Dilucot honing on water and my Diliucot Oil Honing technique on the coticule.

We'll see how they did.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was good.

3-23-19.350.Sharp off Coticule.640.Kit.JPG

The 350 is finally acceptably sharp and comfortable.

This little Might Midget brush really is a very good boar. You need one.

Grooming Dept Lusso based (and other) soaps are so ordinary. Yeah, right, if this is ordinary I've died and gone to heaven.

Serum.Preshave.GroomingDept.480.Mine.2-26-19.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom