What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm currently rotating through my seven day set. All that means is I have only seven sharp and comfortable razors.

I have about three razor blades without scales, one razor not sharpened, and several Gold Dollars and such. I also have three razors in transit all of which were obtained in a trade.

upload_2019-2-21_10-12-54.png

If I were to decide to do the Fixed Four in March I have no idea what razor I'd use. While I agree it would be a great idea to get very used to just one razor I've also done two previous Fixed Fours and know how hard they are even using a safety razor. I know too how beneficial they are.

Do I need a Fixed? I don't think so. Would it be fun to join in with others doing the Fixed? Well, maybe, but it's hard for me to think of a Fixed as fun. A Fixed is a good thing, certainly, but fun it is not. Mostly it's satisfying, beneficial, and hard to do.

Yet I'm considering doing it. I tend to think I won't but I've not decided yet.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A fixed four for a week teaches a lot. A fixed four for a month teaches a lot more.

Yes, that's true, but it sure is a hard thing to do, Mike, at least for me.

2019 Fixed Go or No Go?.jpg

I have only seven sharp and ready to go razors and am rotating them. I know picking one and using it for a month would be very hard. Just picking one is daunting. To me - if not others, but I suspect I'm not unique in this respect - a Fixed is beneficial, and satisfying, and also quite difficult. It might be more so with a straight.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The computer or the site is behaving in a weird way today which resulted in two similar posts (above). The first was submitted but disappeared from my computer and didn't appear on B&B when I reloaded the page. It appeared only when I rewrote it and submitted the second. Interesting glitch. I'll just leave both.

Wouldn’t be interested in that sort of restriction, personally.

I just meant doing several shaves with one SR to experience when it needs to be touched up on the coticule or Thuringian.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yes, that's true, but it sure is a hard thing to do, Mike, at least for me.

View attachment 955106
I have only seven sharp and ready to go razors and am rotating them. I know picking one and using it for a month would be very hard. Just picking one is daunting. To me - if not others, but I suspect I'm not unique in this respect - a Fixed is beneficial, and satisfying, and also quite difficult. It might be more so with a straight.

Happy shaves,

Jim

As a teaching/learning experience I dont think theres a better way to learn a particular kit. One thing you might pick up from doing it Jim, is how your blade behaves during that time and you might find a better method of maintaining an edge by stropping. Doing it and changing razors but keeping everything else the same, you may find differences between blades and steels. Learning the individual instead of the group.

If I had started with straight razors thats where I'd end up. Learning the best method, in entirety, of honing and maintaining each blade. I believe they will vary. From that group I'd find my favorites while understanding what components of each blade makes it my favorite.

That might take a very long time considering how many blades you have but that would be my end goal. To find the one best or the best group of 7 for a set that had similar properties so I didnt need to change my maintenance habits too drastically. The razors that work with you and for you at the same time. I believe theres a reason a seven day set usually consists of 7 blades that are virtually identical, and even then, a few may vary.

Day 7 Solingen Gold Plated Straight Razor Set 2.jpg

How many DE blades did you try before finding your best. Its the same process, just with more work and money spent lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was good.

2-21-19.Mondial.Aluminum.Felix.J&C.640.JPG

My Mondial brush behaved badly; generally it is my favorite boar. Probably too long neglected. I'll give all my boars a bath in Ship-Shape on Saturday or soon.

Still, it was a good shave. I also used the Preshave and the Serum and my new alum block. Don't know if I'll use a splash or a moisturizer.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm in the same boat as Jim regarding the FFFMM.
I'm most likely going to be doing it and I have signed up.
But for the life of me I can't decide on a razor, and I'm worried about using it for a full month non stop.

I've even been considering using a Schick for it.
It sort of appeals to me because I get great shaves from my Schicks and don't really want to abandon them completely.

Just means I won't do any honing or buying new razors, because I won't be able to test anything until April.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm in the same boat as Jim regarding the FFFMM.
I'm most likely going to be doing it and I have signed up.
But for the life of me I can't decide on a razor, and I'm worried about using it for a full month non stop.

I've even been considering using a Schick for it.
It sort of appeals to me because I get great shaves from my Schicks and don't really want to abandon them completely.

Just means I won't do any honing or buying new razors, because I won't be able to test anything until April.

Fixed4.Good.Shiny.640.3-18JPG.JPG

L-3. The Grip.

I've done a Fixed with a Schick/Proline. Good stuff it was, but do I want to do it again? No.

It'll be a SR or nothing for me.

I've not tried it at all, but it seems much the same as the aluminum. In fact, it seems to be a very high quality brush for a plastic handle brush; better I'd say than the Omegas. I'll maybe move to boars soon. When I do, the new Mondial will be used early in that brush phase.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It's not ABS (styrene) plastic like Omega uses. Mondial and Zenith do acetate plastic, like you would use for eyeglasses frames.

As a teaching/learning experience I dont think theres a better way to learn a particular kit. One thing you might pick up from doing it Jim, is how your blade behaves during that time and you might find a better method of maintaining an edge by stropping. Doing it and changing razors but keeping everything else the same, you may find differences between blades and steels. Learning the individual instead of the group.

If I had started with straight razors thats where I'd end up. Learning the best method, in entirety, of honing and maintaining each blade. I believe they will vary. From that group I'd find my favorites while understanding what components of each blade makes it my favorite.

That might take a very long time considering how many blades you have but that would be my end goal. To find the one best or the best group of 7 for a set that had similar properties so I didnt need to change my maintenance habits too drastically. The razors that work with you and for you at the same time. I believe theres a reason a seven day set usually consists of 7 blades that are virtually identical, and even then, a few may vary.

View attachment 955114

How many DE blades did you try before finding your best. Its the same process, just with more work and money spent lol.
I would likely do terrible things for that set....... I'd definitely have to hide it from the wife.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As a teaching/learning experience I don't think theres a better way to learn a particular kit. One thing you might pick up from doing it Jim, is how your blade behaves during that time and you might find a better method of maintaining an edge by stropping. Doing it and changing razors but keeping everything else the same, you may find differences between blades and steels. Learning the individual instead of the group.

That might take a very long time considering how many blades you have but that would be my end goal. To find the one best or the best group of 7 for a set that had similar properties so I didn't need to change my maintenance habits too drastically. The razors that work with you and for you at the same time. I believe theres a reason a seven day set usually consists of 7 blades that are virtually identical, and even then, a few may vary.

day-7-solingen-gold-plated-straight-razor-set-2-jpg.955114

I would be very happy to have a set like that, Mike.

I understand exactly what your comments mean, but I've had very little reason to think the edges of my current blades vary a great deal. All were sharpened by me in much the same way.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I would likely do terrible things for that set....... I'd definitely have to hide it from the wife.

Been tempted by a few 7 day sets on Ebay, never took the plunge.

Recently saw a 7 day Wade & Butcher set going pretty cheap.
Was about to pull the trigger on it when I noticed one wasn't a W&B and had been replaced by something else.
Then read the description properly and decided not to buy.

Shame, thought I was about to score the bargain of the century.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I understand exactly what your comments mean, but I've had very little reason to think the edges of my current blades vary a great deal. All were sharpened by me in much the same way.

Yours might not. I dont know if they would for me or anyone else either, but its a good idea in theory if not practice! lol.
BOSC-REF-RED.png

Top Bottom