What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have only found it on eBay in the UK and a fair bit more expensive than the US.

That's a slight draw-back of the method for us - not everything so readily available over here, whereas the CrOx / FerOx pastes you have, @Somerled appear to be good quality (I have the same ones)

I have not found a good UK source for acrylic blocks for lapping film either so I use glass. Even balsa has been difficult to find. Hobbycraft seem to be the only place that has decent stuff Cass Arts in Birmingham or London sell a good pack. All of the local model shops that used to sell it near me have closed down.
There is a very good buy on balsa on EBay but I suppose shipping would be a consideration. If you ever need anything forwarded from here, let know and I’ll be happy to do it. Acrylic for example. Forwarding to Europe is becoming a rather common errand for me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have only found it on eBay in the UK and a fair bit more expensive than the US.

That's a slight draw-back of the method for us - not everything so readily available over here, whereas the CrOx / FerOx pastes you have, @Somerled appear to be good quality (I have the same ones)

I have not found a good UK source for acrylic blocks for lapping film either so I use glass. Even balsa has been difficult to find. Hobbycraft seem to be the only place that has decent stuff Cass Arts in Birmingham or London sell a good pack. All of the local model shops that used to sell it near me have closed down.

12-28-18.Red&Black.Paste.Dovo.Stangen-Pasta.640.JPG

Progression through the 12K Japanese Shapton Pro. Then Ark (Hard Black and/or Translucent Hard Norton).

Then CrOx (on linen strop).

Then Red. Then Black. (above; both on leather strops)

I've been exceedingly pleased with the sharpness and the comfort on my razors since I went this route. Am I saying it's the best way or that you should do the same? No, of course not.

For me, it has improved things a huge amount. The soaps I'm using have helped, too, and not just a little bit.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Progression through the 12K Japanese Shapton Pro. Then Ark (Hard Black and/or Translucent Hard Norton).

Then CrOx (on linen strop).

Then Red. Then Black. (above; both on leather strops)

I've been exceedingly pleased with the sharpness and the comfort on my razors since I went this route. Am I saying it's the best way or that you should do the same? No, of course not.

How often do you think this routine will be necessary Jim?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How often do you think this routine will be necessary Jim?

What I mean, Mike, is that the routine (all the way through the progression, successfully, beginning with setting the bevel) should happen once, and once only, unless the bevel is messed up by dropping the razor or hitting it against the sink.

Other than that I really don't know much because I'm new to this.

What I believe is this.
  • If the razor is sharp and comfortable and becomes a little tiny bit less sharp it can just go back to the Red and Black pasted strops for a touch up. I've done that and all I can say is wow.
  • If that doesn't work it might be necessary to strop on CrOx before the Red and Black.
  • If that doesn't work I'd probably do a few laps on the 12K and then some on the Ark, or maybe just the Ark.
  • Etc. Going backwards in the progression.
It might be that stropping on Black will maintain the edge. Maybe just that can be done more often.

I don't anticipate needing to go lower (coarser) than 5k, and maybe not lower than 8K or 12K, unless the edge gets more messed up than I hope it gets.

proxy.php

It's going to take a lot of experience before I know much about honing and razor maintenance. Just take everything I said here with a grain of salt. I don't have any sense yet of exactly what the drill is here. I'm playing it by ear.

Mostly I'm just happy with how sharp my razors are and how much improvement I've had by adding the stones I bought most recently and the Red & Black.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

So this is your process of creating the edge you like. I'm curious about the maintenance side of things long term. I guess its a bit soon for you to say in regards to that and I further assume, each blade might need different maintenance.

What I mean, Mike, is that the routine (all the way through the progression, successfully, beginning with setting the bevel) should happen once, and once only, unless the bevel is messed up by dropping the razor or hitting it against the sink.

Other than that I really don't know much because I'm new to this.

What I believe is this.
  • If the razor is sharp and comfortable and becomes a little tiny bit less sharp it can just go back to the Red and Black pasted strops for a touch up. I've done that and all I can say is wow.
  • If that doesn't work it might be necessary to strop on CrOx before the Red and Black.
  • If that doesn't work I'd probably do a few laps on the 12K and then some on the Ark, or maybe just the Ark.
  • Etc. Going backwards in the progression.
It might be that stropping on Black will maintain the edge. Maybe just that can be done more often.

I don't anticipate needing to go lower (coarser) than 5k, and maybe not lower than 8K or 12K, unless the edge gets more messed up than I hope it gets.

proxy.php

It's going to take a lot of experience before I know much about honing and razor maintenance. Just take everything I said here with a grain of salt. I don't have any sense yet of exactly what the drill is here. I'm playing it by ear.

Mostly I'm just happy with how sharp my razors are and how much improvement I've had by adding the stones I bought most recently and the Red & Black.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yeah, thats what I was getting at lol. We're both typing things at the same time hahaha.

My nephew said that he may need to use stones once or twice a year and the regular maintenance is stropping. He does 10-15 strokes per side on a strop before every shave as far as I know. No idea which strop he's using or if any paste.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So this is your process of creating the edge you like. I'm curious about the maintenance side of things long term. I guess its a bit soon for you to say in regards to that and I further assume, each blade might need different maintenance.

Yeah, thats what I was getting at lol. We're both typing things at the same time hahaha.

My nephew said that he may need to use stones once or twice a year and the regular maintenance is stropping. He does 10-15 strokes per side on a strop before every shave as far as I know. No idea which strop he's using or if any paste.

I didn't mention stropping, just regular stropping, but I strop between every shave and using the razor again or putting it into my storage pouch.

ProfessionalStrop.Side.Brown..JPG

I'm doing about 50 laps (down and up the strop is one lap) on the English Bridle side...

Professional Strop.Tan.JPG

+ about 50 laps on the tan side.

Usually I do that in the afternoon or evening after work.

Strops.640.10-2-18.JPG

Recently, immediately after shaving and drying the razor I've been stropping on linen a few times. That's a Tony Miller Strop.

The back side of the linen strop has CrOx on it.

The little black strop has Black paste applied. The small English Bridle board strop has Red paste applied.

That's the entirety of my stropping and paste kit.

Probably you don't need to strop as many laps as I do, but I got my numbers from the Classic Edge guy and the the guy who made my big strop.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Bifocal line hit at just the right spot. Had to double read it. I thought it read "at work" upon first read.

proxy.php

Yeah, I put a vintage barber chair in the office and hung a strop on the side. It's not helped my main business and the licensing board says I have to stop shaving people who walk in off the street and take down the pretty sign.

proxy.php

Yeah, I put a vintage barber chair in the office and hung a strop on the side. It's not helped my main business and the licensing board says I have to stop shaving people who walk in off the street and take down the pretty sign.
You should have asked them first at least. Strapping them in and all was a bit much ;)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was, uh, interesting.

1-19-19.Eagle.Parker.Kit.***.640.JPG

I began with this kit.

The razor didn't seem sharp to me going into the shave and it wasn't. It was comfortable on my skin, and it did shave (some). However, the distance between the blade and the pivot point is too short for me and there are other things about the razor's ergonomics unsuitable to me. I gave it my best shot.

GoldenRule.11-16,10-25-16.640.JPG

So, I switched razors. Good idea. Much better.

proxy.php

Aside from the Parker Eagle or whatever you call it, this was a pretty good shave. By the time I switched razors I wasn't fit to get a great shave.

I believe the Preshave added something to the mix today.

Following my shave I lathered again. After a few minutes I wiped it off with a clean, dry towel. Then I rinsed with cold water and let the water dry on my skin.

Maybe a splash or something later.

Happy shaves,

Jim

"No, my friend. We are shavers from the hospital up the highway, shave-ceramics, the cracked zamak heads of mankind. Would you like me to decipher a blade exposure vs. gap for you? No? You must burry on? Ah, he's gone. Pity." He turned to McMurphy. "Never before did I realize that shaving could have the aspect of power, power. Think of it: perhaps the more shaves a man has, the more powerful he could become. Hitler an example with that stupid moustache. Fair makes the old brain reel, doesn't it? Food for thought there."

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
"No, my friend. We are shavers from the hospital up the highway, shave-ceramics, the cracked zamak heads of mankind. Would you like me to decipher a blade exposure vs. gap for you? No? You must burry on? Ah, he's gone. Pity." He turned to McMurphy. "Never before did I realize that shaving could have the aspect of power, power. Think of it: perhaps the more shaves a man has, the more powerful he could become. Hitler an example with that stupid moustache. Fair makes the old brain reel, doesn't it? Food for thought there."

Medication.Time.jpg

Top Bottom