What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

My first shave of 2019 was pretty good.

View attachment 939925

I hope to make great progress in shaving with and honing the straight razor in 2019.

View attachment 939926

Later in the day I'll probably use my Cremo Moisturizer, but maybe not. We'll see.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Damnation, boy. Happy New Year. ;) Just got back from my first bike ride for 2019. Man do I feel good. Weather has not be cooperating on my days off.

I've been practicing with the coticule. I know why stones are addictive now.

Talking about stones.

Honed my new Filarmonica 14 today and finished up on, my also new vintage, Charnley Forrest.

fillycharn.JPG

Incredible shave, barely felt the edge of the blade all the way through.
This, I'm going to like - a lot.

Hope Cal does his FFFMM again this year. Already giving some thought to the kit I'll use.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Talking about stones.

Honed my new Filarmonica 14 today and finished up on, my also new vintage, Charnley Forrest.

View attachment 939930

Hope Cal does his FFFMM again this year. Already giving some thought to the kit I'll use.

Lovely stone. I'm glad it's working so well and hope to hear more about it. It's amazing to me how cool some of these stones are. Just because someone else isn't wild about the stone they have doesn't mean the same kind of stone won't work for you.

The only natural stone I've used at all is the Hard Black Arkansas but it's made a big difference in how comfortable my edges are without taking anything away from the sharpness produced by my progression through the 12K Shapton Japanese Pro (which is actually 15K).

I have in transit a Norton Translucent which will be interesting to compare. Sometime I'm going to get the three stone set of the Welsh stones in a large size, I think.

What size is that CF? Is it off eBay?

Happy shaves,

Jim

It's 7 3/4" by 1 3/4".
No idea of the depth, its well stuck into it's case.

Got it from Ebay for £42.
Lapped it a few days ago but did nothing to its case, as you can see.

CF2.JPG
CF1.JPG

I have in transit a Norton Translucent which will be interesting to compare. Sometime I'm going to get the three stone set of the Welsh stones in a large size, I think.

Those translucent Arks are intriguing.
Probably because they don't look natural, to me.
Will be interesting to see what you think of it.

I'm also thinking about a set of Welsh slates.
Only need 2 of them, so it's not an expensive thing to try out.

I'm surprised you've not tried out your ZG yet.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Those translucent Arks are intriguing.
Probably because they don't look natural, to me.
Will be interesting to see what you think of it.

I'm also thinking about a set of Welsh slates.
Only need 2 of them, so it's not an expensive thing to try out.

I'm surprised you've not tried out your ZG yet.

I've got to get a storage box for the Zulu Grey. I don't want to move it from its safe spot at the office until I know I can avoid breaking it in the normal course of moving it around.

I'll probably buy one of the Shapton boxes at Sharpening Supplies. Would have already but for the shipping. I wish I could find 'em with free shipping.

I'm in no hurry to learn the ZG. I was geared for it to arrive in months so it's way early in that regard.

Why not buy the whole Welsh set? Which two would you buy?

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've got them all, but if I had to do it over again, I'd buy the light & the purple - the 10k & 12k - in the "Axe" stone size/shape and ask AJ for a slurry stone for each.

Talking about stones.

View attachment 939930

Sounds like the CF worked out well? Brilliant news!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've got them all, but if I had to do it over again, I'd buy the light & the purple - the 10k & 12k - in the "Axe" stone size/shape and ask AJ for a slurry stone for each.

Why that shape?

How do you use the stones and what do you think about them? It's not like there's nothing on the forum about them but there's not enough compared with all the coticle, jnat, Thuringian material (not that any of that is bad).

How flat are these stones as delivered? How hard are they to lap? Etc. Anything.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Sounds like the CF worked out well? Brilliant news!
Yes, thanks for encouraging me to get it.:001_smile

I should really have shaved with the Filly without the CF first, to see how good it was.
They are known for smooth shaves.
But I put a killer edge on it, and at 15/16 it really sings.

The CF must have done something, can't believe how smooth it was.

How flat are these stones as delivered? How hard are they to lap? Etc. Anything.

If you get them from AJ they will definitely need lapping, regardless of what he says.
And they are hard, my one took a long time to lap and I still have 2 small opposite corners that are not flat.
Cal has the same stone, only slightly smaller, and he says it took him 1.5 hours to flatten it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If you get them from AJ they will definitely need lapping, regardless of what he says.
And they are hard, my one took a long time to lap and I still have 2 small opposite corners that are not flat.
Cal has the same stone, only slightly smaller, and he says it took him 1.5 hours to flatten it.

How longs the long time?

Flattening it on sandpaper or using SIC?

Just smoothing my already flat Arkansas Hard Black took me 40 minutes with SIC (2 grits for 20 minutes each) on my marble tile.

The good thing about lapping is there's no rush and it can be done in several sessions, but that doesn't mean I'm hot to sign up for six or eight hours to lap three Welsh stones (at least not right this minute).

The CF sounds great.

Happy shaves,

Jim

How longs the long time?

Flattening it on sandpaper or using SIC?

Just smoothing my already flat Arkansas Hard Black took me 40 minutes with SIC (2 grits for 20 minutes each) on my marble tile.

The good thing about lapping is there's no rush and it can be done in several sessions, but that doesn't mean I'm hot to sign up for six or eight hours to lap three Welsh stones (at least not right this minute).

The CF sounds great.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Took 30-45 minutes.
I used my large Naniwa flattening stone, same as I use for everything that needs lapping.
I was left with two small opposing corner area's that were not at the same level as the rest of the stone.
It's not a big deal and I may go back and see if I can get it done at a later date. I did have an idea to maybe try the other side of the stone incase it's flatter. I don't have an accurate straight edge to test this out.

:thumbsup: That's a definite Doug, unless I get run over by a bus or something. :letterk1: :laugh:

And of course it's easier for SR users, because 4 = 3 for them. :stuart: :yesnod:

Glad to hear this Cal. :cornut:

Top Bottom